As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I want to buy a juicer that doesn't cost so much that I feel the need to put it in my Will

GalFridayGalFriday Community and Social Media ManagerNovatoRegistered User regular
edited July 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Juicers are pricey. I want to buy one. I want to make juice out of veggies and fruit. Anything crazy like wheatgrassgranola juice I will buy premade as I do not think that I can even find wheat juice readily. Also the lovley person that I live with has outright banned it. Too granola for him. :bz I will not sleep on the couch over wheat grass. Just won't do it.

Really though I just don't see myself juicing wheat grass.

If anyone has thoughts on what the thrifty-est spiffy-est is called please respond here.

Also if you have purchased a cheaper juicer and have a horror or wonderful story please share them.

Thanks.

@Ga1Friday is the twitter account I use to talk about everyday things. Sometimes work things. Lots of work things.
GalFriday on

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    To clarify, are you looking for a juicer, like something to squeeze the juice out of oranges? Or are you looking for a blender, to make juice from fruit pulps?

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I hope your thread title doesn't mean that you want a juicer that is cheaper than a Wii game. I don't think that's going to happen (and if it does, I don't think you'll get a good juicer)

edit: Will not Wii. D'oh.

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    webofinkwebofink Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    fruitfucker.jpg

EDIT: To throw some actual input into my post, have you tried looking for a second hand one? There may be thrift stores or goodwill stores in your area that have various whitegoods etc. Just plug it in first to make sure it works. You could probably snag something for less than 10 bucks, and if it only survives a month or two, what have you lost. Apart from 10 bucks.

webofink on
    It's dead, Jim.
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I had one of the "cheap" juicers like the one in that costco link for a bit. It was ok, but broke (blown motor) after a month (it was a regift so the warranty had expired). My next juicer will be a masticating one like this. They're more expensive, but they get more juice out of the fruit (which makes a big deal when you're going through a ton of fruit just for a glass), are better made and last longer. I understand if it's it's out of your budget, but in this case I think considering spending more for a much higher-quality item is worth it.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Especially for a kitchen tool. A well made kitchen tool should last decades.

• Options
    MrDoctorProfessorMrDoctorProfessor Registered User regular
    The Jack LaLanne juicer posted above is great. Ive had the same one for about 7 years now and have no issues with it. I really cant think of any downsides to it. I had a cheaper juicer before and it would constantly come unbalanced and start to grind itself up, so I would end up with bits of plastic in my juice.

noAZAb5.png?1
    Hey Satan!
    Steam
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    White Power!!!

juicer.jpg

Honestly, all I've read about this (and I've been researching juicers for a couple weeks now) is that it's one of things where you really do need to invest to get something decent. Especially since you said you'd be juicing veggies, any decent new device is going to cost in the $250-400 neighborhood.

The 2ndhand idea was great, and I'm going to pursue that myself.

spool32 on
  • Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular
    I know precisely squat about juicers. However, depending on how much you're going to be using it, you might find that the cost of the veggies and fruit over the weeks/months/years vastly exceeds the juicer's price. Getting a better one will may not be much of a hit in the long run.

• Options
    NewEgg has a current e-mail special on
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16896118122&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL072811&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL072811-_-EMC-072811-Index-_-JuicerExtractor-_-96118122-L019D
    Use promo code: EMCKCHB72 to get it for $50

No reviews, you'll have to do some research.

• Options
    GalFridayGalFriday Community and Social Media Manager NovatoRegistered User regular
    Is the Jack LaLanne one the one that there were all the infomercials for? I remember something like a Juice Tiger? Anyone else remember this?

Also @eggy I want something like the Lalanne thing, something that destroys fruits and veggies so that I can drink the juice. I also want to take the apple pulp and make applesauce. :)

@Ga1Friday is the twitter account I use to talk about everyday things. Sometimes work things. Lots of work things.
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    The Jack Lalanne and other sub-$100 juicers are what's called centrifugal juicers. They simply don't work all that well, but they're cheap and they're usually ok. I was very disappointed in the centrifugal juicer I had.

If you plan on doing a lot of juicing, get a masticating juicer. For more info, read up:

http://www.harvestessentials.com/whatjuicisri.html

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    McVikingMcViking Registered User regular
    Things like juicers and breadmakers show up in thrift stores and yard sales all the time.

FWIW, I picked up a working centrifugal juicer at a thrift store for $1.99. It works fine. Might not squeeze every last drop out of the produce, but I got my money's worth out of the very first glass.