As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fruit Flies Dear God

MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicinesRegistered User regular
edited July 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I have no idea where these things came from. I rent the basement of a particularly nice house, and a few days after installing a window unit (there was no functional AC) I found a couple of fruit flies in my bathroom. No problem; killed them, then sealed the window unit better, as I thought they might have come from outside.

After a few days, they reappeared, in greater number. I thought they might be living under my sink, so I sprayed some bug-killer under the cabinet, and that seemed to do the trick.

And now, they're everywhere. They hang out by my front door, they're in my bathroom, in my bedroom, in spaces in-between. I'm killing 20-40 of these little fucks a day, with my hands, with magazines, with a bonafide fly swatter, and I've sprayed the bug-killer in every possible area I thought they might be living in, to no avail. They keep respawning.

I keep my place very neat; I have a covered trashcan and I don't leave open containers around. I have no idea where these shits are, and I have nary a clue on how to get rid of them, as conventional means seemed not to have worked.

halp.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
"Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
MalReynolds on

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    They could have bred inside the drain of your sink.

• Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    You might need to hire a professional at this point.

• Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    There could be a rodent or something dead in your wall. I had some dead rats in the crawlspace of my house, and got swarmed with flies. Are you sure they are fruit flies?

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2011
    Cabezone wrote:

Yeah, had that happen a few times. Ye gods.

Get a bowl. One part vinegar, one part something sugary - soda or whatever. Add a few drops of dish soap.

Put it near wherever the flies are, leave it for a few days.

Then purge the bowl with fire.

edit: but yeah, that just kills the symptoms. Need to get rid of the source too.

Echo on
  • Options
    physi_marcphysi_marc Positron Tracker In a nutshellRegistered User regular
    Cabezone wrote:

This happened to my girlfriend and me when we moved into our apartment. There were always fruit flies around the kitchen sink and in the bathroom. We bought Drano and used it in both sinks and the bathtub. It solved our problem for several months. We need to do it periodically, though.

Switch Friend Code: 3102-5341-0358
    Nintendo Network ID: PhysiMarc
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Thanks; I'll see if I can scrounge up some drain cleaner (I'm sure I have some) and see if that fixes the issue. I'll try and remember to keep everyone posted.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    when we had fruit flies like whoa I cleaned up our pantry and found a sack of potatoes they had nested in. I threw that out and anything else they might have feasted on. What finally finished them off was pouring bleach down the drain a few times during the day.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Echo wrote:
    Cabezone wrote:

Yeah, had that happen a few times. Ye gods.

Get a bowl. One part vinegar, one part something sugary - soda or whatever. Add a few drops of dish soap.

Put it near wherever the flies are, leave it for a few days.

Then purge the bowl with fire.

edit: but yeah, that just kills the symptoms. Need to get rid of the source too.

One of my professors worked in a yeast lab during grad school, and there was a fruit fly lab down the hall. The flies were constantly escaping into the yeast lab, so they took care of it with a cup of Maneschewitz by the door. The flies would be attracted to it, drink, be unable to to fly out, and then drown. It won't get rid of the source, but it might help clear the air temporarily.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    physi_marc wrote:
    Cabezone wrote:

This happened to my girlfriend and me when we moved into our apartment. There were always fruit flies around the kitchen sink and in the bathroom. We bought Drano and used it in both sinks and the bathtub. It solved our problem for several months. We need to do it periodically, though.

Just seconding this. Had the same situation, solved it the same way.

pygsig.png
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    Would Hydrogen peroxide and baking soda work?

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Though I know what you're talking about, they probably aren't fruit flies. They are probably in your drain, yes. Drain cleaner will help some, but the best solution is the vinegar one from above, plus get out your vacuum and suck those fuckers up. After a week or two you will defeat them.

This will give you more info: http://www.pestproducts.com/fliesdrains.htm

spool32 on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Apple juice and vinegar.

They drown.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    It looks like I've inocorrectly identified them as fruit flies; they're moth flies. I still want to destroy their habitats and make sure their children write songs and poems about the scourging their parents recieved (if I weren't intent on killing the children as well).

Would the same solution work as above? Could I use hydrogen peroxide and baking soda, or should I stick with bleach? I know I should also probably leave out drowning bowls for those straggling mothers who aren't in the drain when I decide to start a holocaust?

• Options
    The problem with either is that they won't coat the inside of the drain. Bleach will probably work better, but it's going to be a process either way.

• Options
    I'll do it every few days until they're dead.

For good.

• Options
    ShimShamShimSham Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, bleach tends to work the best for flies and all that jazz if they're in the sink. Just pour a cup or two of bleach down the drain before you go to sleep (or leave for a while, just so long as no water will be there to wash it out)

If they're in your sink this isn't an uncommon problem at all, and you're likely to have them pop up again sometime in the future because that's just life. Just consistently use a little bleach for a week to ten days at least.

Mentioned in another thread but my dad owns a pest control company and I worked for him for some number of years and you wouldn't believe how many people have this problem.

ShimSham on
    QcGKhPm.jpg
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    I had a similar problem and found these trap papers to work pretty well at attracting/killing, way more so than any vinegar solutions
    http://www.amazon.com/Whitmire-Sticky-White-Fly-Traps/dp/B0002L2IXY/

But I only got rid of them once I tossed out the source, which was a bag of dirt

CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    rizriz Registered User regular
    Since the OP stated they're not fruit flies, I'm not sure this is still relevant, but I found (very recently) that the apple cider vinegar traps did nothing for the flies in my kitchen (the result of forgetting there was a peach pit in the trash). What worked though, like a charm, was some old red wine and some sugar. I made a trap with a glass bottle and they went right for it. Meanwhile the vinegar trap was untouched. Must be alcoholic flies in New York.

• Options
    BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    I literally just ended a campaign victorious against the flying menace.

One turned into two turned into twenty over night. Took out the garbage and all recyclables. Scrubbed the kitchen down to remove all crumbs. Tried both the vinegar + soap and the fruit bowl trap (cut fruit in a bowl, cover with saran wrap with holes big enough for them to get in but too small to get out), but neither were particularly effective. The only thing that seemed to work was a combination of periodically coming in and swatting at them after they settled as well as never leaving a dish unwashed or any pool of water, no matter how small, anywhere. Even running water and the disposal a few times a day.

I wish you luck, comrade.

• Options
    edited July 2011

I stalked the aisles of the grocery store, my hand-basket growing heavy with every future purchase. I had asked one of the employees where I could find baking soda and vinegar, and after journeying to the instructed section, I found that she had been off by, essentially, the entire store. So I traipsed back across, near the produce, and picked up a gallon of vinegar. In the back of my mind, a voice called out, "Are you sure that's going to be enough?"

No. So I picked up another. And two boxes of baking soda. And a tin of baking powder, for good measure, also because I couldn't remember which of the two baking accoutrements I should be handling. I did remember the pneumonic device, back in fifth grade, that the science teacher espoused to the class to differentiate between baking soda and baking powder - that baking powder would, for some reason, explode. Perhaps that's why I purchased it. I wanted those moth-flies to explode into tiny little moth-fly giblets.

I walked back across the store to the self check out, when the laundry aisle caught my eye. Two gallons of bleach made their way into my basket. Then, I stopped by the organic aisle and picked up some apple juice, so that I could create drowning traps for the miserable assholes. And then some yogurt, because I was out of yogurt and remembered as I walked past the dairy section. And then some Mentos, because I really wanted some.

With my death-kit/nutrition kit in hand, I checked out; my Holocaust Starter Bundle only running around $14.

I arrived home, and let me tell you, friends, I took far too much enjoyment in what followed. I prepped every sink with a bleach enema, and let it stew for fifteen minutes. My kitchen sinks, the bathroom sinks, the shower drain; the entire place smelled of burning bugs and cheap cleaning supplies. After I assume their existence had been handily wiped out, I continued my campaign. Each drain was treated with liberal amounts of both baking soda and vinegar. I let this sit as well. I boiled water and flushed each of the drains, and then set out the death-juice. Shaking, and dripping with sweat I popped a Mentos (Mento?). Then I took a nap! Then I had some yogurt.

When I arrived home from the gym, I opened my bathroom door, swatter in hand, and took care of the three or four flies that were flitting about; I also squashed the life out of those who had chosen to roost near my bed. But only four? That's an all-time low. Satisfied in Day One of Death Dealing, I went to sleep. No flies this morning, either.

The treatment will continue when I get home today.

I will emerege victorious, and soundly earn the title of

Pretty fly guy.

MalReynolds on
  • Options
    dukederekdukederek Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Dude, I'd be really careful mixing Bleach with anything acidic, although the chlorine gas may kill the flies it mightn't have the greatest effect on your respiratory system either.

Nice story though :)

dukederek on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Seven-at-a-blow for the modern age.

:^:

spool32 on
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    It sounds like what you are doing is working, but I thought I'd mention if you need something to really coat the inside of your drains, you could try Liquid-Plumr Foaming Pipe Snake. That shit is basically just lye and bleach, and will foam up to fill all the nooks and crannies of your drains.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    willowmae38willowmae38 Registered User new member
    What are these vermits???are they fruit flies,nats or what are these??we bought our house almost 4 yrs ago & the winters are cold real blasted cold.we are very clean people.we have honestly tried it all.i we thought summer lake flies were bad,as we think 10 times worse.were finally getting all new windows in our house.SAD part is contractor had to actually SAW the windows out as the previous owner had the WINDOWS GLUED IN..well 18windows are getting replaced 10 dwn & 8to go yet.boy the windows were rotted & bad..husband &i both disabled or windows & sideing wld been done a long time ago.as in summer we used c/a &winter either heat or we had to open a door for fresh air,thank goodness for programs that help others who cant afford a house make over.point being once roted windows removed,no more fruit fly like bugs.i sure how ever like to know a name for these pesty fruit fly like bugs,where now i wonder if not a wood type pesty vermit.. If any one would happen to be able to solve our MYSTERY & PERHAPS help others??AWARENESS OF THE FRUIT FLY LIKE INVASION..

• Options
    willowmae38willowmae38 Registered User new member
    What are these vermits???are they fruit flies,nats or what are these??we bought our house almost 4 yrs ago & the winters are cold real blasted cold.we are very clean people.we have honestly tried it all.i we thought summer lake flies were bad,as we think 10 times worse.were finally getting all new windows in our house.SAD part is contractor had to actually SAW the windows out as the previous owner had the WINDOWS GLUED IN..well 18windows are getting replaced 10 dwn & 8to go yet.boy the windows were rotted & bad..husband &i both disabled or windows & sideing wld been done a long time ago.as in summer we used c/a &winter either heat or we had to open a door for fresh air,thank goodness for programs that help others who cant afford a house make over.point being once roted windows removed,no more fruit fly like bugs.i sure how ever like to know a name for these pesty fruit fly like bugs,where now i wonder if not a wood type pesty vermit.. If any one would happen to be able to solve our MYSTERY & PERHAPS help others??AWARENESS OF THE FRUIT FLY LIKE INVASION..