As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

.NET Framework no likey my compy

DorkmanDorkman Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Ahoy gang! Got a little computer issue.

I recently purchased Terraria off of Steam and tried to install it. When it played it would give me an error that it could not start and quickly shut down. When I restarted this error went away, but whenever I tried to run the game, nothing would happen.

Through a little research, I was told to uninstall the .NET Framework files, clean out my Temp folder, run a little program that cleans up an residue left by previous installation, and try again as the Administrator. So I tried this, but now .NET won't install at all. I have tried through Steam, and I have tried actually downloading the full installation file from Microsoft, and both times it installs to a certain point, Rewinds and quits giving me an error.

This is the installation log that I keep getting, I would spoiler it, but I can't seem to find out how on these new forums..
OS Version = 6.1.7601, Platform 2, Service Pack 1
OS Description = Windows 7 - x64 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1
CommandLine = C:\ba5517b57efb271662a3b0\\Setup.exe /x86 /x64
TimeZone = Atlantic Daylight Time
Initial LCID = 1033
Using Simultaneous Download and Install mechanism
Operation: Installing
Package Name = Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup
Package Version = 4.0.30319
User Experience Data Collection Policy: Disabled
Number of applicable items: 11
Exe (C:\ba5517b57efb271662a3b0\SetupUtility.exe) succeeded.
Exe Log File: dd_SetupUtility.txt
ServiceControl operation succeeded!
ServiceControl operation succeeded!
Exe (C:\ba5517b57efb271662a3b0\Windows6.1-KB958488-v6001-x64.msu) failed with 0x240006 - (null).
Exe (C:\ba5517b57efb271662a3b0\SetupUtility.exe) succeeded.
Exe Log File: dd_SetupUtility.txt
MSI (C:\ba5517b57efb271662a3b0\netfx_Core_x64.msi) Installation failed. Msi Log: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_20110727_203056374-MSI_netfx_Core_x64.msi.txt
Final Result: Installation failed with error code: (0x80070643), "Fatal error during installation. " (Elapsed time: 0 00:01:16).</spoiler>

I am not entirely computer savy, so I am REALLY at a loss as to what to do here. This is a huge bummer, as that little tree is just sitting on my desktop wanting to be double clicked, but I know it will only end in tragedy...

Any help at all?

Poke Black 2 FC: 0390 6923 7158
Dorkman on

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    This is a long shot, but my PC came pre-installed with 'Panda Antivirus' which seemed to function perfectly apart from allowing .net framework updates. Uninstalling it solved that.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    "...run a little program that cleans up an residue left by previous installation..."

Which program? This kind of error is often caused by running a registry cleaner, aka a "computer breaker."

In any case, try this stuff:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982

• Options
    Yeah, The Cleanup tool mentioned in that link is what I used.

• Options
    Any reason why when following the directions given, they lead me to a dead end?

I installed .NET 1.1 and it went well, but when installing SP1, it looks for a netfx.msi...which the original file doesnt install at all. Any suggestions?

• Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    Dorkman wrote:
    Any reason why when following the directions given, they lead me to a dead end?

I installed .NET 1.1 and it went well, but when installing SP1, it looks for a netfx.msi...which the original file doesnt install at all. Any suggestions?
    This looks like a possible solution to that

bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • Options
    TejsTejs Registered User regular
    Why would you install .NET 1.1? The .NET Framework is up to about 4.x right now. Can you install the Silverlight plugin?

• Options
    I was simply following the instructions given in a previous link. It suggested installing 1.1, the SP and...3? And then going through windows update or something to get to 4.

What is the Silverlight plugin? :D

• Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Did you download all of the updates for 1.1 from windows update before installing service pack 4?

Try installing each .NET one at a time, downloading the updates for them, make sure the update completes, then upgrading to the next one. That may tell you exactly where the problem is (when an update does not complete or a specific version does not install).

It sounds like JHunz has a good lead though, .NET installing gets all funny when it can not find a specific file.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    TejsTejs Registered User regular
    Silverlight is Microsoft's version of Flash. It should have a basic installer to get .NET running on your machine.

• Options
    Well I made some progress! Got the 1.1 SP installed with a little figidting (Thanks JHunz!) and moved on to 3.5.

And we ran into another problem.

When I install the program, it says the Windows Installer Service is unavailable. A quick little google states it's because msiexec.exe is running. However it seems I can't stop this program from running, or I can but it automatically begins running again.

Any suggestions? :(

• Options
    corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    Is Windows running the automatic updates right now? That would cause msiexec.exe (Microsoft's own program that installs .msi packages) to run constantly.

I would check the hard drive just to rule out that as a cause of the original problem.
    How to do that:
    Click start -> all programs -> accessories
    Then right-click on "Command Prompt" and select "run as administrator"
    Then run "chkdsk c:" (without the quotes)

If it says it finds errors:
    Type "chkdsk c: /f"
    It will ask if you want to run it at next boot, so say yes
    Then reboot
    Then leave it alone for a while. Interrupting it will likely cause bad things to happen.

BTW to get the spoiler tags either click the spoiler.png button or put
    [spoiler][/spoiler]

around the text.

• Options
    I won't be at the computer all weekend, but I will could check the harddrive. I should mention that this is a brand spankin new computer, so I hope there wouldnt be any issues with the HDD.

Is there any way to turn off Windows Auto Update to hopefully turn off that exe for long enough to get this installed? God I feel so illiterate :P

• Options
    ChickeenChickeen Registered User regular
    You might need to install the latest Windows Installer. Try here: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=8483