As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

3DS price dropped $80 to $169 August 12. 20(?) Free games if purchased before.

• Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    Nintendo has swung back and forth wildly on NES game pricing. Animal Crossing had the games for free, then they tried to sell them on e-cards for ~$3 each, then the tried to sell them on cartridges for $20 each, then they went back to selling them for $5 on the Virtual Console. Now they're free again :rotate:

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Yeah, as far as Nintendo goes, giving away first-party games on any platform, even an old one, is fucking unprecedented.

Eh, there was Animal Crossing for Gamecube that gave away about the same number of NES games.

Though you actually had to buy the game to get all those, so that's a little different.

Say what you will about the price drop, but they're certainly not half-assing it.

You had to buy a 3DS at $250 to get these.... :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    Is Excite Bike 3D as wonderful as it sounds?

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Yeah, as far as Nintendo goes, giving away first-party games on any platform, even an old one, is fucking unprecedented.

Eh, there was Animal Crossing for Gamecube that gave away about the same number of NES games.

Though you actually had to buy the game to get all those, so that's a little different.

Say what you will about the price drop, but they're certainly not half-assing it.

True, but you had to buy a Gamecube AND Animal Crossing to get those games. So there! :P

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    cloudeagle wrote:
    Warlock82 wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:

True, but you had to buy a Gamecube AND Animal Crossing to get those games. So there! :P

Yes but after you buy a jewel-encrusted chalice, the savings are meaningless!

(but for serious - if you consider the 3DS price as $170, you paid $80 for these, vs. like $150 or so for GC and $50 for Animal Crossing... so similar price :P)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    hahaha kotaku has literally become fox news
    2n7jsdd.png

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    With Mario Kart and Super Mario coming and the new attractive price, is there any way 3DS won't kill the holiday?

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    So I'm considering buying a 3ds now given the early-ambassador nonsense.

I'm wondering how you guys enjoy playing ds games on your 3ds though. I saw a few comparison videos on youtube and it seemed like mario kart looked fine, but pokemon black looked washed out and text blurry. I think I could deal with it though. Any thoughts? I'm leaning towards trading in my ds-lite atm.

Also I'm wondering if I should just wait for the inevitable announcement of the 3ds-lite....

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I played Pokemon Black on my 3DS at full screen and found it to be perfectly acceptable. People like to moan and they are right that it is being stretched and hence not quite as good. But for me not as good is still a long way from bad.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote:
    With Mario Kart and Super Mario coming and the new attractive price, is there any way 3DS won't kill the holiday?

That depends on if the price was the main reason keeping people from buying the 3DS. It's possible that people will view the price drop as Nintendo admitting that the system is a bit of a failure which could scare people away from it.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I predict that it'll take a lot more than that to scare people away from the new Mario and Mario Kart. Only time will tell!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    People are wondering whether you can have your cake and eat it too by buying from a store with a price guarantee shortly before the price drops, registering for the free games, and then getting reimbursed by the store.
    I'm wondering how you guys enjoy playing ds games on your 3ds though. I saw a few comparison videos on youtube and it seemed like mario kart looked fine, but pokemon black looked washed out and text blurry. I think I could deal with it though. Any thoughts? I'm leaning towards trading in my ds-lite atm.

Also I'm wondering if I should just wait for the inevitable announcement of the 3ds-lite....
    Personally, it's fine. I've been playing Radiant Historia on both 3DS and DSi recently, I pick DSi when I have the choice, but they're interchangeable. Actually I think I noticed some slight ghosting on the DSi that the 3DS doesn't have.

You do know you can choose between stretched or native resolution, right? Native is very tiny, GBA Micro pixel density, but it's an option.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    ...But still no red :(

Dammit Nintendo, bring on the flame!

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    Eh... The price is right but I'm still gonna wait for the inevitable re-design. The price drop doesn't do anything about the real lack of good 3DS titles right now.

I'll admit it's tempting to run out and grab one now so I can be eligible for these early adopter games, but I already own the original carts or have played the crap out of all the "must play" Nintendo titles.

How much do you wanna bet Nintendo announces the next 3DS model before the years out?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    Most DS games look fine. I've tested Ghost Trick/Okamiden/Monster Tale and they have no issues. TWEWY has blurry text which I think is the main issue (text in some games looking a bit blurry), but the better touchscreen more than makes up for it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    ukiyo eukiyo e Registered User regular
    Chen wrote:
    Is Excite Bike 3D as wonderful as it sounds?

Yes. The 3D effect works really well. It's one of the first games that I show people.

A friend pointed out that you can buy the 3DS from Best Buy the day before the price drop so that you qualify for the free games, then return to the store the next day and have them refund you for the difference with their price match policy.

1EAFQ.gif
  • Options
    How much do you wanna bet Nintendo announces the next 3DS model before the years out?

And completely kill Christmas purchases?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    Rakai wrote:
    Most DS games look fine. I've tested Ghost Trick/Okamiden/Monster Tale and they have no issues. TWEWY has blurry text which I think is the main issue (text in some games looking a bit blurry), but the better touchscreen more than makes up for it.

3D and smooth/hi-res 2D art (not pixel art) look good scaled. So Okamiden and Ghost Trick look fine. The blurring is worst in 2D games with small pixely sprites, but you can switch to unscaled for those games.

I prefer to play big, but in a game that looks a lot better unscaled, the small window doesn't bother me at all.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Please let the original Fire Emblem be one of the GBA choices. I've sunk so many hours into that gem of a title and having it with me at all times without a cartridge would be bliss.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    People are wondering whether you can have your cake and eat it too by buying from a store with a price guarantee shortly before the price drops, registering for the free games, and then getting reimbursed by the store.

While that's tempting it doesn't get a 3ds in my hands today.

Personally, it's fine. I've been playing Radiant Historia on both 3DS and DSi recently, I pick DSi when I have the choice, but they're interchangeable. Actually I think I noticed some slight ghosting on the DSi that the 3DS doesn't have.

You do know you can choose between stretched or native resolution, right? Native is very tiny, GBA Micro pixel density, but it's an option.

Yeah I saw that option in the youtube videos I saw. I was just looking for additional input.

Looks like I'm going to the store today to trade in my ds lite for a 3ds. Thanks a lot for making me spend money, cocksuckers!

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    So this means I have diplomatic immunity now right?

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    FWIW, I don't like the way DS games upscale at all. Most of my collection at this point is sprite-based, text-heavy RPGs, so things like Etrian Odyssey and Dragon Quest become pretty blurry, greasy messes, particularly because I have an XL that plays them beautifully. The Micro 1:1 mode looks fine, just makes the touchscreen area way small, so I'm kind of terrified to think of how TWEWY would look.

Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Some of the game choices are pretty awesome, and several like the GBA Mario Kart and Mario vs Donkey Kong I've never played...so this will be super awesome.

I can't wait to find out what the remaining ten games to be announced are.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Whoa WTF. Price Drop? I'm totally in.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Well! Still not getting it. My DSiXL is juuust right for me.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote:
    Some of the game choices are pretty awesome, and several like the GBA Mario Kart and Mario vs Donkey Kong I've never played...so this will be super awesome.

Did you pick up DK '94 on the GB VC? Mario vs DK is the sequel to that one. I played the GBA one first, and opinions seem to vary but so far I remember liking the GBA one much more. They're both great puzzle-platformers!

Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    wakaranaiwakaranai Registered User regular
    Eh... The price is right but I'm still gonna wait for the inevitable re-design. The price drop doesn't do anything about the real lack of good 3DS titles right now.

I'll admit it's tempting to run out and grab one now so I can be eligible for these early adopter games, but I already own the original carts or have played the crap out of all the "must play" Nintendo titles.

If I didn't already have a 3DS, I would go to Best Buy and take advantage of their 30 day price match guarantee. That way, you can get the free games AND the great price!

I'm pretty sure they'll wait until next year to bring out a redesign. When that time comes, I'll probably just trade in/upgrade at Gamestop or something.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    3DS is probably the second best system around for playing DS games, but it is a far bit behind the king, the DSi XL.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Brainiac 8 wrote:

My opinions: GBA Mario Kart sucks, Mario vs. Donkey Kong is awesome though.

The big thing about GBA Mario Kart is that it's pretty much a crummier version of the SNES Mario Kart. It *looks* nicer but there is just something about it... I don't know. It could be the ranking system that just turns me off - it's really, really super strict and punishing to get a good rank, and relies a LOT on collecting coins (which boosts your speed), except collecting coins also forces you to leave the optimal path through the course and when you collide with stuff (other karts, turtle shells, etc) you lose coins. It's a bad system. It's my least favorite of the entire series. But hey, for free I won't complain.

Mario vs. Donkey Kong is pretty much the sequel to Donkey Kong 94' and thus it's awesome. There is an added aspect of the minis, and I'm not a huge fan of the fake-3d effect (aka DKC syndrome), but it's a really fun game. Also quite lengthy if I'm remembering right. It actually really disappoints me that the game morphed into the Minis games rather than continuing this style. I dislike the Minis concept entirely :(

P.S. - I'm willing to bet there will be safeguards against price matching. You'll probably have to have registered on the eShop to be an "Ambassador" long before any price matching period would last.

Edit: A random thought I just had, which will never, ever, EVER happen: They should include Mother 1 and 3 amongst the free games :P They'd have to translate Mother 3, so again, it will never happen, but wouldn't that be a nice way to sell a shitload of units at the $250 price and not screw over early adopters? :D

But again, it will never happen. /cry

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular

I don't think the announcement would kill Christmas purchases... The average person buying for their little monster won't be aware such an announcement. But you're probably right.

I'm just saying that because typically Nintendo has announced the next model shortly after a price drop.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Super Circuit is my second favorite MK game and is all quality.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    This is absolutely great news. So glad I bought at launch.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options

I don't think the announcement would kill Christmas purchases... The average person buying for their little monster won't be aware such an announcement. But you're probably right.

I'm just saying that because typically Nintendo has announced the next model shortly after a price drop.

Typically Nintendo doesn't drop the price 6 months in :P

• Options
    I enjoyed GBA Mario Kart. I consider it better than the SNES one in single player but never got to play it in multi. It's one of the worst Mario Karts but that's kind of like being one of the worst Zelda games. :P

Ooh, I wonder if wireless multi will work with these GBA games? That would make Mario Kart amazing. Probably just a dream, though.

The music in it was awesome, really took advantage of the old GB audio channels that were still available on GBA.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    kobunheat: So wait, it IS possible for Nintendo to dump ROMs onto Virtual Console faster than one a week?
    kobunheat: How much you want to bet that two of Japan's GBA games are Mother 3 and Rhythm Heaven, and NOA passes on them again

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    Lunker wrote:
    Brainiac 8 wrote:

Did you pick up DK '94 on the GB VC? Mario vs DK is the sequel to that one. I played the GBA one first, and opinions seem to vary but so far I remember liking the GBA one much more. They're both great puzzle-platformers!

Yea, I own the original cart to DK94. I love that game.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    I wonder what the other games will be. I really do hope for Advance Wars as I've never played it. Golden Sun would be pretty great too. Or ALttP would be a sweet GBA addition.

PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    Is there a store that does some kind of price matching? Say, buy the 3DS a week or two before the drop, go to the online shop to register as an "Ambassador", then when the price drops, get the difference back from the retailer? I know Circuit City did this, but they're long gone now.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    As predicted, most of the Mac news sites I follow are reporting this as a desperate measure against iOS. I don't doubt that iOS had an influence, but I don't think that's the whole story, either.

What.

I love my iDevices as much as the next guy, but that just smacks of desperation for more portable gaming relevance to me. I can't see Nintendo shaking in fear of iOS.

Here's the article in question:

http://www.cultofmac.com/hammered-by-iphone-and-ipad-nintendo-desperately-slashes-the-price-of-the-3ds/106465

This is like me claiming that the price of beef is dropping because of my wildly successful tofu business.

Funny, and a little sad.

While the core of Nintendo's and Apple's respective segments of the mobile gaming market are obviously different, you can't escape the fact that there's overlap. Titles like GTA: Chinatown Wars, and even Phoenix Wright have been successfully ported to iOS, and while the big successes on iOS have been much simpler games like Angry Birds and Cut the Rope, volume is the great, great equalizer.

2Q 2011

3DS: 0.7 million units sold

iPhone: 18.65 million units sold

Even if a much, much lower percentage of iPhone users buy a hypothetical new Phoenix Wright game than 3DS users do, the volume could end up comparable. That's something Nintendo would be blind not to have on its radar.

valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, I mean, I wouldn't argue that the reason for the drop is entirely due to iOS competition, to try to brush it aside as totally unrelated is off too.

I mean think of little kids. A few years ago, for my daughter as she gets old enough to try out simpler games, I would have been ready to drop cash on a 3DS just for that reason and probably a few $40 games.

However now, she sees her mom and I using our droid phones all the time for everything and not even 3 years old she can work the damn thing like a pro. Granted, most of the time there's no direction to what she's doing, but she understands it at a very basic level that it can call family and it can watch "frog" (netflix), and she can work the touchscreen quite well. I bet before Christmas she'll be able to play basic games on it and from the perspective of a father, why would I drop $250 for a handheld and $40 for one game for a 3yr old who would be just as, if not more, entertained by a free or a $.99 android market game on a phone I already own?

Now, for myself i'll probably get a 3DS sometime, particularly now so much cheaper, and if my kid plays it too, great. But from simple money saving aspects; yeah, I can say from firsthand experience (olol anecdotes) that the price comparison between a 3DS and a device so many people already have on top of the price for the games is a huge deal. And I believe it had a good deal to do with the price drop and the poor sales of the system. I'm not sure how you could really argue otherwise. If the system had more top notch games that you could only get there, it'd be a different ballgame. Hell, I don't have any doubt it will be a different ballgame.

But right now; yeah...I think it's really related. What I don't agree with however, is that there is anything resembling parity in quality of games (between current 3DS, DS games vs iOS/Droid apps), and I'm honestly hard pressed to believe I'll ever see as deep of a gaming experience on a device like my droid as I would get on a 3DS (or any other PC/Console for that matter). There's a market, certainly, for facebook/timekiller "games", and they have their place. However, the time of really no other good option for portable gaming (which typically is time limited anyway, enhancing the value of those simpler games and apps) is long gone, I highly doubt we'll ever see a pure console like the 3DS or Vita ever reach the heights of the DS or previous iterations (or PSP in Japan). Nintendo and publishers just have to adjust their expectations.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

This discussion has been closed.