As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SW:TOR] Witness the Firepower of this Fully Armed and Operational Thread

• Options
    ProfsProfs Registered User regular
    I'm just returning from about a 3 year hiatus from gaming, and am getting excited about this game. Unfortunately I don't have enough time to sort through all 99 pages of the last thread to see if this question has already been discussed, so here it is. One of my favorite aspects of KOTOR was the ability to enjoy much of the game without having to focus on combat. Various abilities, be they different options in interacting with characters, to hacking computers to eliminate potential enemies, I felt like the game allowed you to play in a freshly non-combat oriented way. Has there been much indication this game, being an MMO, will offer that same kind of play? The combat was fun, but obviously was not the main reason KOTOR was such a hit. Might the game offer ways, slightly similar to EVE, in which a player does not have to fight in order to progress in the world? This isn't a loaded question, where you must answer yes, I'm just honestly curious. Thanks!

• Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The game is undoubtedly going to be combat oriented.

The story may not necessarily require you to cleave skulls to advance all the time, but it takes place during the onset of a second war. And you're playing classes that are basically centered around optimizing the level of ass you can kick.

That being said, there's apparently a wealth of side content, including companion content, romance content (Apparently the Agent was planned at one point to be able to James Bond it up through the galaxy, from what a friend told me, bedding hot women and taking down supervillainsheroes.), and even companion quests. Of which a good deal are randomly generated, and you just send them off to do their own thing, while you do yours.

Archonex on
  • Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Profs wrote:
    I'm just returning from about a 3 year hiatus from gaming, and am getting excited about this game. Unfortunately I don't have enough time to sort through all 99 pages of the last thread to see if this question has already been discussed, so here it is. One of my favorite aspects of KOTOR was the ability to enjoy much of the game without having to focus on combat. Various abilities, be they different options in interacting with characters, to hacking computers to eliminate potential enemies, I felt like the game allowed you to play in a freshly non-combat oriented way. Has there been much indication this game, being an MMO, will offer that same kind of play? The combat was fun, but obviously was not the main reason KOTOR was such a hit. Might the game offer ways, slightly similar to EVE, in which a player does not have to fight in order to progress in the world? This isn't a loaded question, where you must answer yes, I'm just honestly curious. Thanks!

Hrm...KotoR was very combat heavy...yeah, you could talk your way through a few things, but nothing like a Fallout 1.

If I were you, I would replay KotoR, get it fresh in your mind, and think of ToR as that in a MMO setting. That's a good place to start.

• Options
    ProfsProfs Registered User regular
    Hmm, fair point. I have been wanting to replay it anyways. I will return with my findings.

• Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    This was taken from Stephen Reid, Senior Online Community Manager, from the official forums. Finally clarification on the 'loot bags'.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=7811164#edit7811164
    'Loot containers' (name is still a work in progress!) do indeed exist and are designed to alleviate the frustration some feel around high-level loot drops.

As it's currently implemented, at the end of a key encounter within an Operation, upon looting a high-level opponent, everyone in the Operations group will get an individual container which has a chance to give you a random piece of loot that's specific to your class. It could be part of an armor set, a weapon, and so on. If you don't get loot, you'll get commendations which can be used to purchase gear.

Please note, this feature is currently in Game Testing and may well be modified before launch.

I know I mentioned it earlier, but I can't stress enough how great I think this is.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Decoy wrote:
    This was taken from Stephen Reid, Senior Online Community Manager, from the official forums. Finally clarification on the 'loot bags'.

'Loot containers' (name is still a work in progress!) do indeed exist and are designed to alleviate the frustration some feel around high-level loot drops.

As it's currently implemented, at the end of a key encounter within an Operation, upon looting a high-level opponent, everyone in the Operations group will get an individual container which has a chance to give you a random piece of loot that's specific to your class. It could be part of an armor set, a weapon, and so on. If you don't get loot, you'll get commendations which can be used to purchase gear.

Please note, this feature is currently in Game Testing and may well be modified before launch.

I know I mentioned it earlier, but I can't stress enough how great I think this is.

The sad thing is, the same people who should be rejoicing about this are claiming it's a worse setup then WoW's raiding.

I mean, what the fuck? Guaranteed loot is a good thing.

I suspect the bitching is just because certain folks can't play armchair tyrant in guild leadership positions under this system, doling out the occasional trinket to those below them and their circle of friends, with the excuse of "You now have more DKP" or whatever.

I wouldn't be surprised, given some of the comments i've read regarding that, that some guilds try to claim that the loot you get isn't yours, and belongs to the guild, and will go to the person "most deserving" of it. Shit, given how guilds tend to be, I hope they make the rare tier bagged loot bind on pickup.

Seriously, anything that knee-caps geeks with ego and control issues is a good thing in my book. The end-game in WoW was ruined for me because of shit like loot/raid drama.

Archonex on
  • Options
    NerfThatManNerfThatMan Registered User regular
    Archonex wrote:

Seriously, anything that knee-caps geeks with ego and control issues is a good thing in my book.

PSN: corporateshill
  • Options
    slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    Archonex wrote:
    Decoy wrote:

The sad thing is, the same people who should be rejoicing about this are claiming it's a worse setup then WoW's raiding.

I suspect the bitching is just because certain folks can't play armchair tyrant in guild leadership positions under this system, doling out the occasional trinket to those below them and their circle of friends, with the excuse of "You now have more DKP" or whatever.

I wouldn't be surprised, given some of the comments i've read regarding that, that some guilds try to claim that the loot you get isn't yours, and belongs to the guild, and will go to the person "most deserving" of it. Shit, given how guilds tend to be, I hope they make the rare tier bagged loot bind on pickup.

Seriously, anything that knee-caps geeks with ego and control issues is a good thing in my book. The end-game in WoW was ruined for me because of shit like loot/raid drama.

Honestly though, I'm not seeing a difference between this and WoW. SR said that there's a chance that something will be in the bag, but I'm assuming more often than not, you'll end up with commendations.

How is this different? In WoW, everyone always gets JP/VP on every boss kill and fight, which is used to buy gear. Every so often, an item they can use drops.

It just sounds like the same situation, except you don't have to offer BJs to your raid leader to get an item you can use if and when it shows up in your lootbag. If there's a certain item you really want, you very well may have to run that same dungeon 50 times to finally get one in your lootbag.

Am I missing something? Will every item in the game be made available at the commendation vendor or something along those lines?

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Archonex wrote:

Seriously, anything that knee-caps geeks with ego and control issues is a good thing in my book.

Can we lime for truth on these boards? Well, not from my phone, but you get the idea.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    It just sounds like the same situation, except you don't have to offer BJs to your raid leader to get an item you can use if and when it shows up in your lootbag. If there's a certain item you really want, you very well may have to run that same dungeon 50 times to finally get one in your lootbag.

Pretty much, yes. No drama caused by loot rolls though is a fantastic thing in my opinion.

The most used complaints I've read in the 100+ pages have been the following:

1) A person that goes to one raid and gets a piece of gear that they've been working towards for weeks, somehow didn't earn it or deserve it.
    2) Guilds no longer can give gear priority to their main tanks/healers.
    3) Guilds no longer can gear out new level capped players quickly by carrying them through 1 or 2 raids and handing them everything.
    4) Guilds will gear too fast and leave because the game is boring.

Edit: 5) The Guild leaders girlfriend will no longer be geared and will not be able to participate in the raid. (Ha)

Decoy on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Off the top of my head, the things that initially are a little "meh" about loot bags to me are:

-The excitement of pulling up a loot box and seeing all those neat goodies pop up
    -The thrill of friendly competition amongst players for loot (I might be alone in this, but I liked bidding for loot when it was done between people that wouldn't have hard feelings about it)
    -No guarantee over how many loot drops you'll get per kill.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Archonex wrote:
    Decoy wrote:

Honestly though, I'm not seeing a difference between this and WoW. SR said that there's a chance that something will be in the bag, but I'm assuming more often than not, you'll end up with commendations.

How is this different? In WoW, everyone always gets JP/VP on every boss kill and fight, which is used to buy gear. Every so often, an item they can use drops.

Am I missing something? Will every item in the game be made available at the commendation vendor or something along those lines?

The difference is that the amount of loot can show up differs from WoW.

Obviously, this depends on how they scale it. But if four purps can drop from one boss, and go directly to the inventory of the players involved in the fight, it takes a bit of the pressure off of the stranglehold guild leaders and officers have over raiding.

• Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    If the gear in the loot containers has enough variety of stats, they can easily keep up the raid grind. That took me like 10 seconds to think through. Everyone will get gear they can use, but it'll be alignment locked, have slightly varied stats, and/or it would get a set bonus. It doesn't even have to be unique models. It can just be "*Star Warsy something* shoulders of the *Star Warsy thing*" Blue or purple items with the absolute best stuff being from tokens. That way, even a casual raider can get a decent set.

Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    SaboSabo Registered User regular
    It would be neat to see the color of the loot indicator change depending on the best quality gear that dropped from the enemy (i.e if its a Prototype it will turn blue, Artifact - Orange and so on). That way you know without looting whether its worth to loot and what quality the drop is even before you open the window.

Also, AOE looting ftw. It's the small things that will make this game great.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote:
    Archonex wrote:

Can we lime for truth on these boards? Well, not from my phone, but you get the idea.
    Off the top of my head, the things that initially are a little "meh" about loot bags to me are:

-The excitement of pulling up a loot box and seeing all those neat goodies pop up
    -The thrill of friendly competition amongst players for loot (I might be alone in this, but I liked bidding for loot when it was done between people that wouldn't have hard feelings about it)
    -No guarantee over how many loot drops you'll get per kill.

1: There is a similar excitement as you click on the bag/container/magical space jackinthebox. You don't know what you will get.
    2: Most of the time you are not dealing with people who don't have hard feelings about it. The sad state of things is, the internet is filled with cockgobbling goose honking douchebags.
    3: Good point, not certain whether there is one bag per 'boss' or maybe everyone gets one and you just have a chance of getting gear currency instead. Reminds me of Warhammer Online's system of giving out loot for PvP except not dumb.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    I've always wondered about the empire military training and physical fitness programs. I've never seen a fat Stormtrooper but they can't aim or react for shit.

push-ups. That's all anyone did a long long time ago.

There was only one person to ever train differently in star wars.
    lukeHandstand.jpg
    And that's why he's the man.

• Options
    ChaosRedChaosRed Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Loot bags FTW. DKP and Loot Drama FTL.

I swear people will defend WOW end-game forever and ever, even though it sucks the very essence of your soul. Seriously, old WOW hacks sound more and more like this every day...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1_NhnXMCKw

Back in my day, there were "loot bags"! We raided for three hours, then decided who got the one decent pair of over-sized pauldrons via a political system of in-fighting and attendance records! And we liked it!

ChaosRed on
    dbf1147f15514b46.png
  • Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Decoy wrote:
    Pretty much, yes. No drama caused by loot rolls though is a fantastic thing in my opinion.

The most used complaints I've read in the 100+ pages have been the following:

1) A person that goes to one raid and gets a piece of gear that they've been working towards for weeks, somehow didn't earn it or deserve it.
    2) Guilds no longer can give gear priority to their main tanks/healers.
    3) Guilds no longer can gear out new level capped players quickly by carrying them through 1 or 2 raids and handing them everything.
    4) Guilds will gear too fast and leave because the game is boring.

Complaints 2 and 3 are valid issues. 1 might be as well, but this system takes that out of your hands. 4 is iffy.

Guess it depends on how frequent loot drops in the bags. I expect 2 pieces of loot per boss in 8 mans. Maybe 4 for 16 mans. But who knows.

• Options
    Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    All wow players are some character that dana carvey played.

For example, pugs:
    garth-algar.jpg

• Options
    ChronocideChronocide Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Loot containers are great. When I first came across the variation in WAR I was like "This should be in everything ever". Hopefully they manage to get rid of a lot of rolling/needing/greeding on anything high end. Another good thing you can do with loot bags is give the player an option on what time of loot bag they want. Do you want a crafting loot bag, an item loot bag, a pure cash bag or a bag full of consumables (crack bag?), I just think its a great way to make sure people are getting what loot they want/need.

Chronocide on
  • Options
    Wicked Uncle ErnieWicked Uncle Ernie Registered User regular
    Since the real pull for this game is supposed to be the story, Loot bags work perfectly for that. I'd like to see fully randomized loot as well, maybe with a bit of WoW-style reforging and/or gemming to make up for needing a bit more of X stat in a random system. And the ability to dye your armor so you don't end up looking like a clown. That would add to the what's in the box?! fun factor, and use a badge style system so players can fill loot holes easily.

That way we won't look like a army of clones at maximum level.

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Since the real pull for this game is supposed to be the story, Loot bags work perfectly for that. I'd like to see fully randomized loot as well, maybe with a bit of WoW-style reforging and/or gemming to make up for needing a bit more of X stat in a random system. And the ability to dye your armor so you don't end up looking like a clown. That would add to the what's in the box?! fun factor, and use a badge style system so players can fill loot holes easily.

That way we won't look like a army of clones at maximum level.

The mod slots on gear will allow you to change stats. And you can dye other armor pieces to match the color of your chest piece.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    CalixtusCalixtus Registered User regular
    I have two concerns about loot bags;

-It makes turnover more of a bitch. When you can't powergear someone in the same way (though hey, this one depends a lot on how crafting pans out) getting a new recruit ready to participate is going to be harder. Along the same vein, the gear level of the new recruit when recruited is going to become more important, in other words, guilds at all levels of raiding are a lot more likely to set gear requirements for recruits.

-Progression dynamics. I've always been in guilds where the loot distribution has prioritized people who are important for progression - i.e. the guy who shows up for every single wipe-all-night-get-no-loot raids gets priority on loot for that one farm run he bothered with, where as the guy who is always mysteriously busy during progress raids takes the second pick. With no general loot distribution, these farm runs are going to become a lot more important. There's a bunch of different ways this can pan out and we'll probably see them all in combinations depending on the guild, but there are issues with a system where being there when something dies is always worth more than putting in the long hours to learn how to actually kill it.

Two obvious benefits that I can see;

-You save time and effort on loot distribution. The actual raids will be faster, the management will be less cumbersome. I really want to be clear on just how awesome this is; If you take 10 minutes per kill to distribute loot (and I've seen that happen) it takes you two additional hours to get through a place like Naxxramas. That's fucked up, and individual loot bags solves that. DKP management is also a right fucking bitch, and at the very worst you'd have to monitor attendance with loot bags.

-No trust issues with regards to pugging raids. Obviously awesome.

On the whole, it seems like a good idea, but it'll be interesting to see how their final implementation works in practice.

-This message was deviously brought to you by:
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    Wait, is this an "wouldn't it be awesome if" scenario, or have the TOR devs actually stated that they're doing WAR style loot bags in raids?

Don't get my hopes up without reason guys, my heart can't take it :( .

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    Apparently it's a system they've recently put in.

Also it's like the WAR bags insomuch as you don't have jackass Level 40's rolling on the shitty bags and making it where lower level/rank people don't get their fucking ARMOR HARGBARGLGLGGL

Sorry, what happened? I blacked out.

• Options
    tricontricon Registered User regular
    ben_bot wrote:
    And EA has nuked justswtor.blogspot.com

Yeah to bad. The will add links in the mmo-champion thread.
    If you miss the jedi consular video from yesterday the download links are still there http://multiupload.com/ZDR3C9XTSL:

swtorhun reported:
    "We are excited to announce that you can now download the latest build of Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ and that the Game Testing Program will resume very soon! Please completely uninstall the old version of the game, and then download the client from the link below.
    The server will be available beginning at 10:00AM CDT on Tuesday, August 2nd. You will not be able to play the game until this time, but may download the new build right away to get ready!"

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Great, can't wait to see what changed with this build. Hopefully some tester can snatch a screenshot of the patch notes or something.

Also, Betacake will apparently be back tomorrow.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Sabo wrote:
    Also, AOE looting ftw. It's the small things that will make this game great.

From what Ive seen/played there is no AoE looting. It would be a really nice addition though.

Also, for whoever asked in the last thread, Im like 99% sure you can have Republic/Imperial people on the same server (the computers at Comic Con had both on the same server and I assume we werent playing a specially modified version of the game just to allow for that).

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    So, according to this post in the TOR thread on mmo-champion

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/874061-SWTOR-information-gathered-thus-far-from-various-sources?p=12473702&viewfull=1#post12473702

the NDA will be in effect all through the beta. Boo.
    Not sure that's a smart move on Bioware's behalf.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    I love the idea of loot bags. If you were to make the items tradeable for a small time window, that might help with some of the loot distribution problems.

Gearing up a new raider? Not too much of a problem if you can trade loot out of the bags. That smuggler get the boots he already has and you get the blaster you already have? Switch!

Granted, it does create situation where guilds might enforce a "all loot from bags is guild loot until distributed" drama, but ultimately people have the choice to be a part (or not) of that guild.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    ironzerg wrote:
    I love the idea of loot bags. If you were to make the items tradeable for a small time window, that might help with some of the loot distribution problems.

Gearing up a new raider? Not too much of a problem if you can trade loot out of the bags. That smuggler get the boots he already has and you get the blaster you already have? Switch!

Granted, it does create situation where guilds might enforce a "all loot from bags is guild loot until distributed" drama, but ultimately people have the choice to be a part (or not) of that guild.

I believe it's been suggested that bosses also drop their own loot, outside of the bags.

So really, there's no need to make the bags tradeable. They're your own personal loot, in case you get dicked out of the main roll.

Won't stop some greedy/asshole guilds from demanding that loot be made tradeable too, though.

Archonex on
  • Options
    Gearing up new people, as well as Main Tanks and Healers, can also be alleviated by crafted gear.

• Options
    spamfilterspamfilter Registered User regular
    ironzerg wrote:

That's not really enforceable because how do you know what was in someone's loot bag? It just goes to his inventory, and he can give you any piece of crap in his inventory and tell you that's what dropped for him, and there is no way to tell if he's BSing.

• Options
    tricontricon Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Maz- wrote:
    So, according to this post in the TOR thread on mmo-champion

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/874061-SWTOR-information-gathered-thus-far-from-various-sources?p=12473702&viewfull=1#post12473702

the NDA will be in effect all through the beta. Boo.
    Not sure that's a smart move on Bioware's behalf.

I hope the are not that stupid. The can't controll even now the beta leaks and it will get worse when the open the flood gates in september.

On top of that if the don't lift the nda it usual means all alarm sirens go off about the game quality. Some companies like funcom never lift the nda of the games and the have a very specific reason for that. :P

Update if you missing some of the old betacake videos look here in russia:
    http://lightsaber07.rutube.ru/

tricon on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    spamfilter wrote:
    ironzerg wrote:

That's not really enforceable because how do you know what was in someone's loot bag? It just goes to his inventory, and he can give you any piece of crap in his inventory and tell you that's what dropped for him, and there is no way to tell if he's BSing.

With the loot bags, if you set the raid permissions with a master looter, I believe the looter was able to open the bag and look inside, and then hand the bag over to whomever needed the contents, but you couldn't pull the items out of the bag without them binding.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    You know what I'd like to get rid of in MMOs? Bound loot. Done using that nice robe? Sell it on the AH.

• Options
    Amusingly, a lot of F2P MMOs have things that let you unbind an item.

• Options
    jdarksun wrote:
    With any luck, the end game won't be centered around the Progress Quest-esque concept of repeating the same few tiny maps dozens of times hoping for a different outcome.

New paradigm. Not designing the end-game around the 1% superhardcore raiders who need to be on the cutting edge of all content at all times, and make things more accessible for the other 99%.
    spamfilter wrote:
    ironzerg wrote:

I have no idea what you're talking about. Or how the above statement is even applicable.

Someone says, "Hey I got a [Super Charged Blaster] in my bag. I already have it. Anyone else need?"

I'm talking about trading the loot FROM the bag, not playing bag trade lottery with each other.

• Options
    reVerse wrote:
    You know what I'd like to get rid of in MMOs? Bound loot. Done using that nice robe? Sell it on the AH.

Then you have people that just farm/buy gold, buy all the raid stuff of the AH and get geared without having to step foot in an instance.

The whole idea behind Binding loot is that people have to overcome the challenge to earn it, not just buy it.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Oh no, someone didn't earn their purple pixels, the knave.

This discussion has been closed.