Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[SW:TOR] Witness the Firepower of this Fully Armed and Operational Thread

ArthilArthil Henchman 21Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in MMO Extravaganza
Just Watch:

GUILD INFO

The official PA Forum guilds will be PVE East Coast Guilds according to a vote we took last thread.

The Imperial Guild is <Remarkable Circumference>, which can be found here.

The Republic Guild is <Rigorous Scholarship>, which can be found here.

The EU PVE Republic Guild is Disregard for Canon.

Star Wars: The Old Republic is a MMORPG developed by Bioware's new MMO division in Texas set in the Old Republic era of Star Wars, 200 years after the conclusion to KotOR. You'll take one of two sides, either the Imperial or Republic side. There's a lot of interesting things about it, but first, watch these:

Deceived

Hope

Those trailers, done by Blur Studio, are awesome and set up the setting for SW:TOR.

SW:TOR is a massive undertaking by Bioware, a subsidiary of Electronic Arts. How massive?

It's going to cost like a hojillion dollars.

It's the size of 10 KotORs recorded back to back. 40 Star Wars Novels worth of content, approximately.

It has a crapton of planets. One chunk of one of the planets is reportedly about the size of Kalimdor as a reference point. The planets vary in size though.

It's got music for days. Original music as well as music from the movies that you know and love.

It has on rails style Space Combat, which you'll either like because you played Starfox 64 way too much or hate because you want X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter with new graphics.

While the game itself has been one of the worst kept secrets ever since before it was announced in 2008, it is now coming pretty close to release. Simply stated, this game is similar to the Everquest model of MMOs, which has evolved into being the WoW model of MMOs. It has some cool new stuff, some stuff you'll recognize, and hopefully will combine the two in a good way.

BETA:

The Beta is currently ongoing. The rules for it are pretty simple. You can tell people you're in the beta, but that's about it. While it's OK to link leaked videos/photos here, it's probably not a good idea to break any NDA on the forum, so it's best, if you're in the beta, to probably not talk about it. Leaked info has come up and probably will continue to come up as we are on the 5th month of extended beta testing compared to the summer and fall early zone beta testing. Some people from the December beta test were chosen to renew for the January beta tests, so I'm not entirely sure how many invites they're sending out. The beta tests in December were sent out through a survey thing, but from now on, all beta invites are supposed to be coming straight from Bioware. The last beta test apparently had about 2000 people involved.

Release Date:

There's no release date officially announced. Spring 2011 was the first window given. Then it was Spring 2011 after March 31st. Then it was April 1st to December 31st. Technically, it could still be getting release in Spring. There's no way to know for sure what's going on though. There's some speculation about waiting to see what happens at E3.

Now that's out of the way, let's break it down for ya.

Story
Spoiler:

Classes
Spoiler:

Crafting
Spoiler:

Flashpoints (Fancy Word for Instances) and Raids
Spoiler:

Planets
Spoiler:

Media

Spoiler:

Recent News:

May 13th Update: Sith Inquisitor Trailer and Info.

March 12th Update: Mid Level Flashpoint Walkthrough.

March 8th Update: Guild stuff

January 28th Update: New Game System Revealed: Flashpoints. These are basically the game's instances.

January 21st Update: New Planet Quesh is added bringing the number of planets to 17.

Relevant Links:

Darth Hater: this is basically the main fansite. They stay on top of the updates, so you don't have to go searching the internet for any glimmer of information.

The Old Republic: This is the official site. You can sign up for the beta here or wade through their media and holonet sections.

What We Know So Far: This is a post on the official forum which is a compendium of everything that is known about the game at the current moment. The guy has done a great job keeping it updated.

Story spoilers contained herein: Hands on Impressions. This is a compendium of first hand impressions from conventions regarding where the game is at in the first few levels. It has a ton of good info that has not been released officially in any capacity about the actual gameplay.

And regarding the playa hate:

Why You Gotta Playa Hate?

Pre-Order Information:

Standard (digital or physical): $59.99, includes 3 day early game access, and a color stone that will make your lightsaber or blaster bolts gold.

Digital Deluxe: $79.99, includes 3 day early game access, the color stone, a Flare Gun like in the 'Hope' trailer, a Training Droid that'll pewpew things for you, a HoloDancer of a Twi'lek for those who like head tentacles, a HoloCam that... I dunno, records video in-game? And a neat STAP speeder bike.

Collector's Ed: $149.99, Everything above, but a 7 day early game access an Exclusive Mouse Droid and no it doesn't look like the one we know and love, and an Exclusive in-game vendor that'll, I dunno hang out on your ship and sell you neat stuff. Plus all that other crap that you'll likely shove into your closet somewhere eventually. Except for the soundtrack and authenticator, those are nice.

PS: Any of you looking for the Digital or Digital Deluxe versions, have fun with the 40 Gig download!

Arthil on
Youtube PSN: Honishimo GW2: Akeche.4867 Steam FitocracyCwcuLUM.jpg

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Crafting Professions[/B
    Spoiler:

Join the Sith Empire.

Republic is babies.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    Basil wrote:
    Join the Sith Empire.

Republic is babies.

I can't wait to punch Sith in the junk.

Proud member of Unrepentant Gaming! Pantless gaming at its finest.
    Check us out in Neverwinter.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick Why is there a G in night? Registered User regular
    Healing with a Gatling gun since 2011!

onionsig.jpg
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown Registered User regular
    Holy shit, are we on a new thread already?

I wonder how many threads we'll have until this battle station is fully armed and operational.

CmgpQ.jpg
  • ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    Holy crap, that OP is mighty!

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Gonna be a Republic Trooper first. I'm gonna troop things so hard.

Okay, so the favorite class thing has been done to death. What about classes we want to kill? Me, I'm actually thinking about migrating to a PvP server just to gank Sith Inquisitors mid-Seethe.

CmgpQ.jpg
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    Okay, so the favorite class thing has been done to death. What about classes we want to kill? Me, I'm actually thinking about migrating to a PvP server just to gank Sith Inquisitors mid-Seethe.

Anything I see pop out of stealth. On principle.

camo_sig2.png
  • Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    I sorta want to play all the classes at this point... except the Sith Warrior. I would have thrown Jedi knight in too, but the leaks about the companions sound interesting there. I figure I'll start with Consular and Imperial Agent/Bounty Hunter and then segue into the rest when I get bored.

• ChaosRedChaosRed Registered User

My understanding is that the SI is a pretty tough kill. That it pwns a lot of PvP. Or is that the precise reason you have hate on for them? Because I think you're gonna see a lot of popped-collar bois grinding on Sith Inquisitors. It's a smash-button, "I win, you lose" class.

I'm going to play a Smuggler, but the class I'll love to hate will be any Jedi who lectures me and tells me to control-my-emotions. Are Jedis even allowed to love?

dbf1147f15514b46.png
  • I needed a gnome to post.I needed a gnome to post. gank so hard motherfuckers wanna find meRegistered User regular
    Well, the classes that are "good" and "not good" at PvP are likely going to change many times during the process of beta.

That said, the SI appears to have some inspirations from the "drain health, endure" style of classes, which typically can be fairly strong in the prolonged fights TOR claims to have.

YUNHcUz.jpg
    That said, the SI appears to have some inspirations from the "drain health, endure" style of classes, which typically can be fairly strong in the prolonged fights TOR claims to have.

For what it is worth, one beta tester I talked with in WOW claimed the SI is really broken in PvP. No doubt, as you say, it will get adjusted, but right now they appear to be the biggest ePeen on the block, or where ever it is Sith place their ePeens these days, (it might be fruit I hear, that would explain all the anger and loathing).

dbf1147f15514b46.png
    ChaosRed wrote:

My understanding is that the SI is a pretty tough kill. That it pwns a lot of PvP. Or is that the precise reason you have hate on for them? Because I think you're gonna see a lot of popped-collar bois grinding on Sith Inquisitors. It's a smash-button, "I win, you lose" class.

It's mostly the popped-collar bois Seething their way to victory. It brings out the dark side in me.

CmgpQ.jpg
  • SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    I hate all of the gameplay videos around now. I haven't seen footage of a class that doesn't look fun.

They had better give us a disgustingly large number of character slots.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
    It's mostly the popped-collar bois Seething their way to victory. It brings out the dark side in me.

Double-points if you pop the collar with a faux-hawk! Faux-Hawk Sith! Deadly, but stylish. Now with nostril-choking body wash for extra seethe.
    Spoiler:

Hehe and of course, I kid. I can totally see how playing Sith will be a ton of fun. But once I saw smugglers get an irrelevant and ridiculously large cowboy hat, I was sold.
    Spoiler:

dbf1147f15514b46.png
  • ben_botben_bot Registered User regular
    And EA has nuked justswtor.blogspot.com

• DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    SightTDW wrote:
    I hate all of the gameplay videos around now. I haven't seen footage of a class that doesn't look fun.

They had better give us a disgustingly large number of character slots.

I'd be happy with 8. :)

camo_sig2.png
  • devCharlesdevCharles Registered User regular
    Holy shit, are we on a new thread already?

I wonder how many threads we'll have until this battle station is fully armed and operational.

I'm guessing two more after this one since the threads are like twice as big as they used to be before release since this will probably carry us into the pre order beta test in September, and then we'll actually have some stuff we'll actually be able to talking about playing the game.

Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • NerfThatManNerfThatMan Registered User regular
    nice work on the op.

still praying for the ability to somehow get trophies of bounties from the main bounty hunter story.

PSN: corporateshill
  • ArthilArthil Henchman 21 Registered User regular
    Guys you know the OP is the same from the last two threads practically, right?

Youtube PSN: Honishimo GW2: Akeche.4867 Steam FitocracyCwcuLUM.jpg
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    The speed at which this thread moves is offensive. Wont someone think of the internet Rainforest?

camo_sig2.png
    edited July 2011
    emp123 wrote:
    The speed at which this thread moves is offensive. Wont someone think of the internet Rainforest?

Luke, at that speed, will you be able to pull out in time?

ChaosRed on
    dbf1147f15514b46.png
  • Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    ChaosRed wrote:
    emp123 wrote:

<Insert tasteless Leia Joke here>

steam_sig.png
    GFWL: ObsoletePaper | Uplay: Banzai5150
  • ArchonexArchonex Registered User
    edited July 2011
    ChaosRed wrote:
    emp123 wrote:

Only if he uses the Force when preparing to fire at the thermal exhaust port.

Edit: BANZAI! *Shakes fist.*

Archonex on
  • SaboSabo FFXIV: Kairos ChronosRegistered User regular
  • The DagonThe Dagon Registered User regular
    Recent News:

May 13th Update

Why, that is recent at all!

On the issue of classes, I really want to play every class in the Empire, but only the Smuggler interests me on the Republic side. I would really, really enjoy playing an evil Imperial Smuggler, if only such a thing existed.

But yeah, go Empire or go home.

Steam ID : TheDagon
    PSN : TheDagon
    Pretty much every game ever : TheDagon
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote:

And it's better than ever.

canItouchyourhairohmygosh

9KmX8eN.jpg
    Arthil wrote:

I wrote most of it in my management class. I figured it was a more productive use of time.

devCharles wrote:
    Arthil wrote:

I wrote most of it in my management class. I figured it was a more productive use of time.

You're truly management material.

CmgpQ.jpg
    You're truly management material.

Next, he learns how to delegate someone to write the thread title for him. Then after it is written, how to take credit for it to his immediate report, while BCCing his report's boss.

You're in the "Captain Needa School of Management" right?

dbf1147f15514b46.png
    Afterwards, customer service.

"Repeat after me: 'I have altered the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further.'"

CmgpQ.jpg
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Registered User regular
    I've always wondered about the empire military training and physical fitness programs. I've never seen a fat Stormtrooper but they can't aim or react for shit.

gkWjumA.png
    Nintendo ID: Cloudbomb
  • Maz-Maz- World's waiting for you, kid. Registered User regular
    Mhm, that new thread smell.

Too bad Just SWTOR got taken down..apparently a Trooper video was coming tomorrow, a class which we've barely heard anything about so far.

In better news, we now have 12 members in Disregard For Canon. Woo!

Steam | Origin: MazPA | 3DS: 1848-2888-3654 | Nintendo Network ID: Maz_PA
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    ChaosRed wrote:
    Next, he learns how to delegate someone to write the thread title for him.

He's already passed that chapter. Didn't you read the end of the last thread?

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    The class I'm going to be looking forward to killing the most is the "Imperial Citizen" class. My Jedi is going to have an unhealthy fascination with glassing planets. There's a Sith base there? Glass the planet. There's a Sith army on that moon? Glass it. A Sith lord's brother's uncle's cousin's nephew's girlfriend's niece's roommate once lived on that world? Glass it just to be safe.

• VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    Sabo wrote:
    Utini!

You can't use that word. THAT'S OUR WORD!

I look forward to playing this game substantially in my business school classes. I am a little concerned about the potential damage this game will wreck on this current batch of engineering majors like WoW did in 2005.

devCharles wrote:
    I am a little concerned about the potential damage this game will wreck on this current batch of engineering majors like WoW did in 2005.

True. Once you start blasting engineers out the air lock, you just can't stop. Once they hit the vacuum of space, the pop like stale gum.

dbf1147f15514b46.png
  • SaboSabo FFXIV: Kairos ChronosRegistered User regular
    Oh the late night cramming for exams after raiding... Oh god, glad I'm past that.

• Wicked Uncle ErnieWicked Uncle Ernie Registered User regular
    Damn. I'm just about to start school again. meh, who needs to sleep.

This discussion has been closed.