As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MSPA: the cow says moo, the duck says quack, the broom says BROOM

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Using that logic it would seem to be

an eight player session

Seriously on
  • Options
    UrscaUrsca Registered User regular
    If they're true clones, could they even be said to be switching places?
    Having an entirely different life would just make you a different person.
    Vriska brought up as Mindfang would just be Mindfang, and Mindfang brought up as Vriska would be Vriska.
    Although I guess there are 'souls' of a kind in the Homestuck universe.

No, I've decided that this avenue of thought is just too confusing.

• Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    tynic wrote:
    The thing I like about the ancestors ... ok no, let me go back. Firstly, the thing I like about Hivebent is it is really an exploration of the melodramatic aspects of teenagerhood. Hormones are running wild, everything is suuuuuuuuper emotional and important and life-threatening, minor slights become blood feuds, fumbling teenage attraction becomes serious romantic involvement, etc. (I could probably go on in this vein for a while, actually). But anyway, the great thing about the ancestors is they take this nonsense and dial it up to 11. I like to think that all the ancestors are in fact merely normal members of adult troll society - that basically every troll who makes it to being a grownup (hell, every troll who makes it out of the trials, why not) could be easily written as the central protagonist of a really ridiculous, melodramatic fantasy novella/space opera/action movie/ insert genre here. It's not that the ancestors all happen to be important movers-and-shakers in the troll world, just the troll world is so over-the-top that everyone is a hero or a villain.

Haha, I like this.

Also, this update took several reads for me to understand. Whoa.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Ursca wrote:
    If they're true clones, could they even be said to be switching places?
    Having an entirely different life would just make you a different person.
    Vriska brought up as Mindfang would just be Mindfang, and Mindfang brought up as Vriska would be Vriska.
    Although I guess there are 'souls' of a kind in the Homestuck universe.

No, I've decided that this avenue of thought is just too confusing.

In the Homesticker session at least the two sets aren't direct clones, the player set is mixed from the guardian set

at least in one permutation of events anyways

so vriska is mindfang and ???'s daughter(?) and maybe mindfang would be vriska and ???'s daughter(??)

???

It is kind of funny how quickly we can get out on a limb with this stuff

Seriously on
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    Wait, why did the 'original set' of trolls from Peaceful Alternia need ancestors of their own?

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    Wait, why did the 'original set' of trolls from Peaceful Alternia need ancestors of their own?

every troll has ancestors

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    I wonder in the new Doc Scratch Universe is everybody gonna be hardcore

Post Scratch John will literally be Nic Cage

• Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    so I think this is leading up to the reveal of the "final objective" that the kids/trolls are working towards

like, at this point, it seems likely that every universe that has been created was originally unable to make a new universe. And these universes had to scratch in order to sustain the universe-propagation chain, but that made Lord English destroy their universe.
    The kids are going to scratch their universe because they have to
    but they are going to escape before the reset and with their help, the new-kid-version-of-their-guardians are going to make a new universe that actually works the first time around, ending the cycle

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Iunno

I suppose there might only be one set of mix-clones

weird to think that the original state of things is that the "ancestors" are actually their kids sent to the past but compared to everything else not all that weird

Seriously on
  • Options
    Atari SoulAtari Soul Registered User regular
    Some people have thrown out the idea that the Sburb session going on with the four kids is the post-scratch one. I leaning towards not, due to this line:
    Though they could not recognize it for the bad omen it was, this session was not the one in which they had been spawned. Such is the symptom of a subtle glitch affecting certain sessions...

In other words, those trolls had to scratch because they hadn't even been ectobiolo-born in that session. But that isn't the case with the four kids we've been following. John clearly made the kids and the parents.

• Options
    CrowbawtCrowbawt Member of the Midnight Crew Registered User regular
    Part of me is going what no Hussie are you really gonna go into a whole new scratched session with the guardians as kids people are already bitchin about how long the story is with every update it finally seemed like we were getting to the end

But another part of me is OH MAN GONNA SEE NEW PLANETS NEW SPRITES NEW EXILES NEW PROTOTYPES ON NEW AGENTS MORE HOMESTUCK HELL YEAH KIDS AND FUN

• Options
    tayvaantayvaan I always like to savor the last shot before popping the heat sinkRegistered User regular
    Baidol wrote:
    I would not be surprised if the kids are the second go-around for their universe. Did we not discuss earlier in this thread how Nana could have played Sburb in her youth?
    The heroes chose to accept this bargain, and scratched their session. In doing so they jumpstarted the reality in which the twenty-four figures of legend would together be created - and I as well - and then sent back in time to take our places in history. Though I was delivered well before history even began, before the dawning of life on their planet. This time around, I would oversee its development, and thus fulfill the mother's promise of an aggressive, ruthlessly prepared group of heroes. One that would not rest until victory was secured.

this seems to contradict that idea.

Though Doc Scratch does say that a scratch "ideally" creates a better set of players, so maybe Doc Scratch becoming the first guardian and manipulating your race to become good at the game is only one of the possible things that could happen.

Still, I don't think this is the second go-around. Everything people are using as evidence for that being the case is based on speculation. Nanna mentions climbing the echeladder but that doesn't mean she played sburb. Echeladders might be something everyone has in Homestuckland.

I mean it was already kind of a twist that the troll session was scratched (even if it was foreshadowed), I doubt the same is also true for the kid session.

Its very possible that both sessions have been scratched an infinite number of times, changing different parameters each time. There is no way to know as every trace of the scratched sessions is supposed to be wiped out. The only reason this scratched session of the trolls is at all significant is because someone remembered.

As to whether the current set of guardians are refugees from a scratched session it is hard to say at the moment.

• Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    This is super interesting and everything, but I hope we reach the EOA flash within the next 2 months. I don't want to go 2 years not knowing how act 5 ended!

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    I don't think I'd be able to take it if Act 5 ended

I think

I would go crazy

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    eoa5 will drop the very day you leave for your mission

hussie has planned this deliberately

• Options
    if that happens we should send him a recording of the flash

somehow

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    ever since that day that stick cut hussie off 2 years ago, he has been planning...

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    he wont watch it for 2 years anyway so

• Options
    tayvaantayvaan I always like to savor the last shot before popping the heat sinkRegistered User regular
    Crowbawt wrote:
    Part of me is going what no Hussie are you really gonna go into a whole new scratched session with the guardians as kids people are already bitchin about how long the story is with every update it finally seemed like we were getting to the end

Not to mention the additional character bloat as four more characters are added, or become prominent I guess. I still have trouble seeing things turn out that way but who knows?

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    we'll do that thing they did in clockwork orange

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    they don't even have TVs in where ever

my suspension of disbelief

under strain

• Options
    i went to where ever once and then i couldn't find my wallet

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I'm pretty sure the kid's universe has already been scratched, since in one of her conversations with John Nannasprite actively refers to playing the game herself

wonder if a scratched universe can be scratched again
    no she mentions climbing the echeladder

other game mechanics are shown as existing independent of Sburb, like the fetch modii

there's no reason the think that the echeladder's any different.

Also, she's been prototyped at that point.

And if she was from a pre-Scratch Earth, she shouldn't remember ever having played the game. Unless she has the blood of a 69er.

:winky:

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Nerdgasmic wrote:
    Seriously wrote:
    Maybe...

what if

what if nobody's ever really won the game and it's all failed sessions and denied rewards and players starting over and over and over and over and over
    who created the troll universe, then
    The 48 player Squiddle session.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    No, it's still a 12 player session

there's just 12 other people that were made by the game and acted as role models for the 12 players

the same way john also made four parents for the kids

actually that kind of raises a problem with this. If jade and john are the kids of nanna and grandpa, then if you mix that DNA you wouldn't end up with grandpa and nanna again right? You'd run into THE STRANGE HUMAN ANATHEMA OF INCEST and get some downs syndrome babies.

Well no I guess there's no reason grandpa and nanna can't still be the biological parents even if weird time shit leads to them being the younger pair.

• Options
    He was just having trouble with the failed sessions and denied rewards bit I think

it was just...too horrifying to contemplate

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    man I am reading through xamag's tumbler and oh my goodness so much talent I am forever jealous

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Larlar wrote:
    I'm pretty sure the kid's universe has already been scratched, since in one of her conversations with John Nannasprite actively refers to playing the game herself

other game mechanics are shown as existing independent of Sburb, like the fetch modii

And if she was from a pre-Scratch Earth, she shouldn't remember ever having played the game. Unless she has the blood of a 69er.

Yeah this too

I feel like a jerk for saying so

but I am starting to wonder if people actually read the newest update

• Options
    It's quite a bit to digest

• Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Larlar wrote:

Yeah this too

I feel like a jerk for saying so

but I am starting to wonder if people actually read the newest update

It's pretty long. Why bother.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    man I am reading through xamag's tumbler and oh my goodness so much talent I am forever jealous

hmm yes I should do this too

Any other tumblrs anyone can recommend? Preferrably ones that err less on the shipping side of things?

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    dang and I just lost the URL to that artist's blog that was solely focused on John and Karkat making out

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Seriously on
  • Options
    Hm.

You know grandpa harley might not be harley at all

if jade and john crashland into colonel sassacre's house and neither of them has a hard time pronouncing Halley

you know that always seemed like kind of a stretch to me how do you insert an extra consonant into a word on accident

you know that reminds me

we never got to see a glimpse into mom or bro's childhood

• Options
    people pronounce chicago chicargo

rs are super cool I guess

• Options
    I would like to see a young version of Mom

but oh no! what if Rose will die

they won't get to have a tearful, alcohol and embitterment free reunion!

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options

Maybe dave will rescue her from the moon and Diamonds Droog will be left careening into the green sun alone

• Options
    I demand fan sprites of kid guardians and guardian kids

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular

Maybe dave will rescue her from the moon and Diamonds Droog will be left careening into the green sun alone
    noooo

• Options
    Nerd come on

he's gotta die sometime

may as well be careening into the power source of the gods while trapped inside a bomb intended to destroy it

This discussion has been closed.