Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Unbiased opinion on alcoholism needed

124»

• SentrySentry Registered User regular
    Sentry wrote:
    There may not be much room for great advice in this thread, but there is plenty of room for bad advice. And if you can't see why telling a diagnosed alcoholic to go have a drink is bad advice, I really don't know what to tell you.

recovering alcoholics don't become raging drunks when they have a beer like some sort of bizarro popeye, although this seems to be the popular conception. There's no objective reason an alcoholic can't "go have a drink." Treatment is about managing the consequences of addiction, whether that means total sobriety or a glass of red wine or a beer with dinner.

OP has to make a decision about how well he thinks he can manage his consumption of alcohol. "I cannot ever consume alcohol again" is not the only reasonable decision he can make, even if his diagnosis of alcoholism is totally legitimate.

Yes, it's absolutely possible for an alcoholic to perhaps have a single drink and not let it ruin their life. But it's not likely. That's why they are called alcoholics and not "people who can fucking control their drinking." But you are right, only the OP can make the decision, and deal with the consequences. He may be fine. My whole point, and numerous others in this thread, was why risk it?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    Sentry wrote:
    There may not be much room for great advice in this thread, but there is plenty of room for bad advice. And if you can't see why telling a diagnosed alcoholic to go have a drink is bad advice, I really don't know what to tell you.

recovering alcoholics don't become raging drunks when they have a beer like some sort of bizarro popeye, although this seems to be the popular conception. There's no objective reason an alcoholic can't "go have a drink." Treatment is about managing the consequences of addiction, whether that means total sobriety or a glass of red wine or a beer with dinner.

OP has to make a decision about how well he thinks he can manage his consumption of alcohol. "I cannot ever consume alcohol again" is not the only reasonable decision he can make, even if his diagnosis of alcoholism is totally legitimate.

This is an almost performance art level of absurdism.

Alcoholism is compulsive behavior.

There is literally no reason to ever suggest to an alcoholic that they imbibe.

Just as there is not any reason under the sun for a compulsive gambler to place a bet, no matter how trivial, small, or safe it is. To indulge compulsive urges is to nurture them.

And why would you ever try it anyway, except to assert your clearly entirely inexperienced internet opinion? If someone suspected they had been misdiagnosed with diabetes, the advice would always be, "Check with a professional," and never ever ever, "Just chow down on a plate of cookies to see!"

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • the doubleyouthe doubleyou Registered User regular
    Well, I've never gone through what you are going through, so I won't pretend to. But I really hope you make it through this, and maybe this'll make you feel a little better.
    http://www.zefrank.com/chillout/

• ceresceres Your photo framed Raw within my mindSuper Moderator, Moderator mod
    Apparently when there is nothing constructive but original left to be said, people will cheerfully turn to destructive things, and this is saddening.

And I am done with my graceless heart,
    So tonight I'm gonna cut it out and then restart.

The avalanche has already started; it is too late for the pebbles to vote.
124»
This discussion has been closed.