As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Starsector: Spaceships, RPG elements, laser fights. .6 update out! Everything cooler!

durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
edited September 2013 in Games and Technology
So Starfarer looks really interesting.

You can grab the game here: http://fractalsoftworks.com/

sf_lo_1.jpg

Why does it look interesting?

Woah there calm down okay Starfarer is a game in the tradition of Star Control and Escape Velocity. That is, a game in which you play a brave starship captain who is making his or her way in the world via trade, diplomacy, and combat.

You begin with a single ship, your "flagship" of your "fleet of being a loser". You have options about how you want to grow that into something impressive. You can modify your ship, acquire holdings for sweet cash money, or buy/befriend/capture ships to integrate into your growing fleet. Everything you do makes everything else you do a bit easier.

The economic model is something the developers are hoping to make a bit more interesting than varying commodity market prices. Essentially, it seems like they want to create RPG-like "economic encounters" in addition to having a simple underpinning trading system. The example they give is that you can encounter illegal weapons shipments. Destroying them ups stability in a system, leaving them lowers it. Your decision would depend on whether you want a stable trading partner that likes you or an unstable planet you might be able to grab for yourself.

Combat takes place in a top-down perspective, with you piloting the flagship of your fleet and giving general strategic orders to your captains. The direct control takes the form of WASD turning/acceleration and mouse aiming and firing. After tooling around in the tutorial/early mission there are already some things I love about the combat.

For one thing, there's a great system for using multiple ship weapons. You can quickly swap which weapon you control in order to focus on an enemy with whatever hurts them most. Flak cannons for fighters, big HE shells for giant ships and whatnot. But oh, you say, what about when multiple enemies are attacking at once? Well, that's where automating weapons comes in. Press Shift+3 and your flak cannons will auto-target incoming fighters.

The basic mechanic in combat is that ships have shields and armor. Shields take damage from certain weapons, such as lasers, very poorly. Armor takes damage from certain weapons very poorly too. So what you do is knock down shields with lasers and the like, then pound on armor with explosives. When shields get knocked out, there's a moment of paralysis while systems reboot. If you drop shields before they're forced down, you can avoid that. It's all reasonably simple, but provides some decisions to make at a steady rate.

sf_lo_3.jpg

Other ships in your fleet mostly seem to mind their own beeswax, going to the location you planned in order to fulfill whatever mission you ordered them on. There's little to no micromanaging. The idea is that you go into combat with a plan for your fleet, and they carry it out without your direct orders. They're still playing with ideas about how to make the AI fleet respond to various RPG-type stats like the individual ship captain personalities and such.

Right now, they're focusing on getting the combat bit done up right. So what they've done is release a playable alpha for $10 that is pretty much just combat, but divided into missions. So far I've had a whale of a time with it. If you're like me and have been waiting for a game like this since the last one you played, I'd say it's worth a look.

Here's a video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foklpwLu7v8&feature=player_embedded]Starfarer Mission Demo

Anyone else given this one a shot? I really have wanted a game like this since EVN, and I feel like this is pretty close to delivering all I was hoping for and more. The current build is also just a fun space-fightery thing.

UPDATE

- There's a new system and faction
- There's hyperspace and jump points, meaning you can travel via the overworld hyperspace. It's hypersparse at the moment, but it's actually pretty cool. It's basically similar to in-system controls/events, but it's different-looking and I'm excited for hyperspace related events.
-All new combat sounds
-Battles now start with ships on Travel Drive, so you zoom in faster, even though the maps are the same size
-You now have Combat Readiness, which has effects on your fleet's capacity to field ships and stuff
-New logistics ships, general focus on making fleet logistics make more sense
-New UI, more info packed in it
-New fighter mechanics, they now depend on you having actual flight decks to repair and refit them, but they're also kind of invulnerable so long as there's a carrier I think
-New battle mechanics like chasing people down or sending out scavenging crews

Real neat stuff, and then a bunch of backend things that are mostly about making modifications easier.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
durandal4532 on

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Looks pretty sweet, will have to keep an eye on this.

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    So my big problem with this game right now (and I understand it's an alpha basically) is that my fps will randomly drop down to like 1-3fps, which is really annoying. Otherwise I would play this more if I wasn't playing Space Pirates and Zombies (which is closer to completion).

But definitely looking forward to the finished game.

One thing I like about it (which SPAZ doesn't have) is that it seems like as you take damage your systems/weapons can be destroyed, which I always want in a space game.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    The thing I like about this as compared to SPAZ, at least initially, is that SPAZ seems more "zoomed out". Like, you're not that ship, slowly accruing some power and influence and buying a new ship and a fleet and such. In SPAZ you're more of a home base sending out feelers. The whole thing feels a little more arcade-like and less exploratory.

It's a minor distinction, but it makes a difference to me. That said, I totally need to pick that up too.

Also: I have no idea if the game uses actual space imagery. I assume the backgrounds are mostly art inspired by actual images because actual images are usually weird resolutions.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    It looks like Gratuitous Space Battles, but you can control the ships directly?

SOLD

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    Bought. How long does it take for a key to come in? I'm itching to try this out.

76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    Key came to me in an hour or so. They're using some weird little online fulfillment service that seems to take a second.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've totally got my eye on this thing. It looks like it's going to be a ton of fun and all the impressions coming out of the alpha are promising.

Where Space Pirates and Zombies is more about just smashing the crap out of everyone and grabbing the lewts, this game seems like it will have a bit more depth going on. Don't get me wrong, I've been playing the beta for SPAZ a ton and I'm having a blast, but the more games that explore this kind of fleet gameplay the better in my opinion. From Gratuitous Space Battles hands off approach to SPAZ's arcadey chaos, and now Starfarer's RPG/Strategy approach all of the bases are coming together nicely.

PEW PEW :D

• Options
    ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Wow, there is alot of stuff going on at once. I pretty much lucked out on the first mission, but the second mission tore me to pieces.

[e] In standard fashion, I load it back up and have an easier time with the mission. Learned I could kinda direct where ships went in the battle overlay(?) (tab) screen. That was neat.

Zetx on
    76561197966849367.png
  • Options
    Zetx wrote:
    Wow, there is alot of stuff going on at once. I pretty much lucked out on the first mission, but the second mission tore me to pieces.

[e] In standard fashion, I load it back up and have an easier time with the mission. Learned I could kinda direct where ships went in the battle overlay(?) (tab) screen. That was neat.

Yeah, the next update should address a bit more of that, getting the tactical screen up and running with the ability to give ships assigned roles/objectives above and beyond "go here".

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    Oh Escape Velocity, why have there been so few games like you?

Escape Velocity + Gratuitous Space Battles?

YES PLEASE <3

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    Bought'd. This game is awesome, even without a lot of its features.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    That game looks so awesome.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    Picked this up the other day as well. It's really good even in this alpha state, lots of great potential here. Also, it's apparently quite moddable! You can add your own ships and stuff, going to look into that soon.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    So Starfarer looks really interesting.

You can grab the game here: http://fractalsoftworks.com/

[snip]

Why does it look interesting?

Woah there calm down okay Starfarer is a game in the tradition of Star Control and Escape Velocity.

This is where I stopped reading. Sold.

Xaviar on
  • Options
    There are only a couple of things I'm hoping they tweak:

A.) They're focusing pretty exclusively on sand-boxy, which is great but a thing I liked about EVN was discovering the mission-strings. It always felt like a fun way of exploring each sector before a nice big fight at the end. They have mentioned individual missions, though.

B.) Fights are so deadly. Like, I enjoy the balance in terms of fleet vs. fleet, but I've been blown up with no chance to eject so many times. I worry that as a small-scale trader/whatever you may just die a ton. If there's some way to avoid fights that shouldn't be an issue, I suppose.

C.) I like the way they did weapons, but 4 slots? No no, my friend. I need like 12 buttons with various weapons, linkages, and automation options. I need all the buttons. We've got keyboards, let's use them!

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    This game is the spitting image of Starscape. It looks much less arcadey, but I'm totally interested.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    this looks like a better version of gratuitous space battles, I approve and will most likely purchase this later tonight

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Isn't S.P.A.Z even more Starscapey?

But also, the guy from GSB actually gave one of the modders permission to use his ship images repainted as a part of a mod, which is pretty sweet.

I really want the .35 version, to see what actually being able to order people around with assignments is like. Just moving them around on the board leads to some confusion.

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Reminds me of space rangers but with the rules explained. Sold. When I have money.

• Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    *sigh* I guess this has a lot of potential. And I am actually really digging the UI style. It really sells it for me.
    But I wish:
    A) My ships flux/armor/ammo was more visible where I am looking during the fight
    B) Open-galaxy campaign mode was done
    C) I was still playing Escape Velocity.

• Options
    This is pretty much why I haven't jumped on board yet.

While the concept is extremely appealing, that's pretty much all it is at the moment from what I've read of the features that are in the game. If/when the project gets fleshed out some more, I may jump in.

• Options
    The features that will really make it will be the ship modding/creation and the trading elements. I spent a hell of a lot of time in EVN just getting some trade routes set up, making sure I could hit all of them by the deadline, dodging pirates on the way, and slowly building a better ship.

They also just added an interesting little thing: captain personalities. Or they'll be in .35 at least. It's another little layer to customization/combat that I think is well-considered. Essentially, all ships will do just fine in most situations, but cowardly captains will focus more on avoiding damage if they're outnumbered, to the possible detriment of the assignment. Suicidal captains on the other hand, will never ever retreat from danger. They also talked about greedy captains and corrupt captains and a bunch of other types.

I'm enjoying the little simple elements they're tossing in. I am totally the sort of person who has been eager to assign a cowardly captain to a fire-support LRM ship and my suicidally brave ones to command wings of Torpedo bombers. All making sure that the ore refinery back home is crewed by loyal people and not money-grubbing jerks. They even made it just a single variable for you to tweak if you want to mod. I look forward to playing with the code.

Definitely don't think I would say the game at present is worth $10, but I'm very happy to support them in development because they seem to be doing a good job even this far out.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Website's down, I'll have to check it out later, because it looks interesting.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Quake MattQuake Matt Registered User regular
    I'm also looking to jump into this once it's fleshed out a bit. Really, as nice as the battle system looks, I'm going to be in this for the economy and fleet management stuff.

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    SPAZ kinda got boring later. Can't bring myself to grind 30 odd more levels to fight endless waves of zombies. I'll look at this when the fleet management stuff is in.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Sorry for the thread necro, but TotalBiscuit just did a WTF Is for this game, which I hadn't heard of before, and I became rather interested.

Then the OP mentioned Escape Velocity and I became VERY interested.

Starfarer looks like a meatier, more tactical SPAZ which sounds great in my book. I'll be keeping an eye on it.

• Options
    Well I was going to wait for more information, during the 0.5 release, but people should feel free to download this! It's already a neat and highly moddable starship battle royale simulator.

The guys working on it are also very open to suggestions about possible improvements.

• Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    I want the finished version of this game, but I don't know if I want to invest in the alpha.

• Options
    Quake MattQuake Matt Registered User regular
    I know how you feel. I've told myself that I'll wait until the basic sandbox stuff is in before I buy, but it's looking damn good already. I may just cave and buy it next week so I can mess about with the pre-made battles.

• Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    I have enough of a backlog - even just considering spacey games with X3 and SPAZ - that I have no intention of investing in the Alpha, but I'll keep an eye on it and probably grab the full game when it's done and hits Steam

• Options
    EntropyEntropy Registered User regular
    The new version came out - it has campaign mode implemented and such:
    Latest changes (as of 2/13/2012, final update):

Campaign

Added crew advancement. Crew level affects:
    accuracy of the ship's aim (autofire for player's ship, both autofire and otherwise, for AI-captained ships)
    movement speed and ease of maneuvering (acceleration, turn rate, etc)
    damage taken (to represent better maintained damage control systems, better repaired armor, etc)
    Added per-fighter damage tracking and repairs. Hangar space is required to repair fighters.
    Added basic campaign map (TAB to bring up)
    Fleets get a movement speed bonus (up to 2x) when traveling far away from planets and asteroids
    A metric ton of playtesting, balancing, etc

Miscellaneous

Sound - changed distance function (more distant sounds drop off in volume quicker)
    Added rank insignia to ship icons in command UI and deployment dialog
    Added way to set crew rank for ships in mission definitions
    Changed random mission - now gives you control of a random capital ship, and the sides are even strength.
    Added new mission - "Forlorn Hope" - featuring the Paragon battleship
    Added difficulty levels (damage taken is set to HALF by default), options to show/hide various floating text
    Mission score reduced by half when playing with half damage on
    You can zoom out one more level (and zoom in one less) while piloting cruisers and capital ships
    Added button to deploy all ships into battle, if fleet points allow it

AI

Improved AI aim - both autofire and manual. Aim quality depends on crew XP level.
    Improved missile guidance AI
    better aware of what weapons are dangerous (weighs whether they're pointed at the ship vs how long it takes to raise shields)
    aware of flanking, will try to do it if possible
    interceptors better at avoiding point defense capable ships
    more sophisticated retreat behavior - figures out when it's not doing well, even if the relative forces deployed would indicate otherwise

• Options
    Wow, basic campaign functionality came a lot faster than I was expecting. I'm gonna have to take a closer look and seriously consider buying this now.

• Options
    .5! It looks neat! I'm going to give it a play and update the OP!

I've had a couple minutes with it, and it definitely looks extremely mount-and-blade-y which is not a bad way to be. I'm still interested in there being some more trading/fuel/etc elements because I like the idea of not needing combat as the backbone of your fleet but daaang it's looking fun.

• Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    The shield is still annoying, I wish there was a way to lock it into a facing so I could use turrets with it.

• Options
    So, tried it out a bit, can see the MnB similarity, but outpost doesn't seem to have much to buy.

• Options
    The thing that sticks out to me, and that stuck out to me in Mount and Blade as well is this: travel doesn't cost nearly enough.

One of the things that made EV a good time was that straight from the outset you felt like goddamn you want out of this podunk system but you can only jump 3 times, and you need to pay for fuel and dammit you better find work.

It's a good way of prodding you out of the gate I think. It falls into irrelevance reasonably quick, but starting off with no weapons and $50 for buying your first tank of gas makes it clear just how much you want to advance so you can see all that the map has to offer.

Still though I'm still about 5 minutes of play in because I haven't had any time so who knows.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    I played a bit more. Having bigger fleet = move slower sucks without a character and thus no Pathfinding equivalent skill. ESPECIALLY since you can't turn on a dime like in MnB which makes chasing enemies much harder, and you can't keep horses in your inventory to move faster either.

Also, the limits are broken. I sold all my ships, bought a new ship that couldn't fit nearly enough of personnel, supplies, fuel, cargo and game didn't care.

Dracil on
  • Options
    They did mention the idea of having "outrider" fleet segments, so a plodding cap-ship or carrier or whatever being able to send out the quicker portions to intercept and stop enemy fleets.

• Options
    That would be awesome. Also, how exactly do I make ships boardable? I seem to end up blowing them to bits. Because of that, autoresolving battles seems much more profitable right now.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Bought this and I'm really enjoying it so far. The combat feels really fluid and frantic and I love the idea of building up a big sumbitch fleet to roll through the galaxy.

Anyone have any early-game tips? Even the little pirate fleets I run into tend to have 2-3 frigates and fighters and tend to smoke my single frigate pretty quickly. Also, is there a way to select which ship I start with in the campaign? There don't seem to be any prompts for it on the start screen unless I am very dense (which is possible).