As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Questions about my beagle's behavior

PataPata Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
My dog is normally a well behaved beagle. She's friendly, obedient, and playful. Yet, sometimes when I'm laying down or sitting on a couch, she'll obsessively sniff, paw at, and try and grab with her mouth the bottom side of my knees and elbows.

What does this mean. Is it playing, or something else? Should I discourage it, ignore it?

SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
Pata on

• Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    have you had her all her life?

• Options
    KistraKistra Registered User regular
    How much does this bother you?

Animal Crossing: City Folk Lissa in Filmore 3179-9580-0076
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    If you don't like the behavior, discourage it. If you don't care, ignore it.

You're in charge of the dog. In this case, decide what you want it to do, and enforce that.

spool32 on
  • Options
    Raneados wrote:
    have you had her all her life?

Close to all her life, got her as a puppy when she was six months old, now she's three years old.
    spool32 wrote:
    If you don't like the behavior, discourage it. If you don't care, ignore it.

You're in charge of the dog. In this case, decide what you want it to do, and enforce that.

Well, I mainly want to know what it means. If it's a bad sign of something or the other.

• Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    Our dachshunds try to claw open our mouths. Dogs are weird. I don't think it is a bad sign.

• Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    Sounds like she just wants attention.

• Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    Our dachshunds try to claw open our mouths. Dogs are weird. I don't think it is a bad sign.

My dog LOVES my crotch. I'll be sitting in my sofa and he'll jump up and try to start licking it. Seriously, it makes me feel like I'm one step away from being carted off for bestiality.

Like someone said. Dogs are weird.

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Sounds like mild attention-seeking behavior. Could she be trying to get you to get up and let her out, walk her, or otherwise play with her?

If it's not annoying you or your guests then I don't think there's any need to modify her behavior.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Do you mean like the insides of your knees/elbows?

Because my beagle loves to lick there

It's super gross

• Options
    Keith wrote:
    Do you mean like the insides of your knees/elbows?

Because my beagle loves to lick there

It's super gross

That's the exact spot.

Glad to hear this isn't some dark expession of doggy rage though.

• Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    spots like that get sweaty which has salt which a lot of dogs like the taste of

both rottweilers i've owned did the same thing, they just liked salty things

• Options
    republic of merepublic of me Registered User regular
    its slightly dominant play. Nothing to worry about