As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Workout Technique Woes

CheBourgeoisNoirCheBourgeoisNoir Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So I haven't checked into the PA health and fitness thread in awhile, which has apparently been supplanted by the diet & weightloss thread in D&D, so I suppose this goes here? :

I'm trying to get back into the gym with the remainder of my summer, and I'm running a 5x5 workout adapted from the Rippetoe Starting Strength program. A couple of the exercises are fairly out of the norm, though, so I'm unsure of my form.

1.) Deadlifts - today was my first workout with these today, and I just wound up scrapping my sets entirely. I'm just not really understanding them - I've got my feet under the bar, and I get that you should be lifting with your back, pressing in with your feet to engage it, but I just didn't feel it at all in my back, and meanwhile I was hurting the hell out of the instep (I think? The outer inside edge of my foot). I could have done more weight easily, but I think my form or my foot positioning was ruining it. I'm pretty badly bowlegged + badly collapsed arches + bad ankles...What should I be doing?

2.) Military press - Is it appropriate to wind up with the bar directly above your head, or are you supposed to keep it out a bit in front of you at all times, even when your arms are fully extended for max vertical?

Thanks all

CheBourgeoisNoir on