As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Conan, what is best in [chat]?

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Inquisitor wrote:
    QWOP? I must have missed a meme somewhere.

Yeah, I had to look it up too. Decidedly not impressed with the game, although the cosplay is amusing.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    Lady Eri wrote:
    Were there riots in London again?

Yes. Looks like some people are taking advantage of the situation and these were pre-planned. Mainly 'cos they've spread to Enfield and there's no reason why they would naturally.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    BobCesca wrote:
    Lady Eri wrote:

Yes. Looks like some people are taking advantage of the situation and these were pre-planned. Mainly 'cos they've spread to Enfield and there's no reason why they would naturally.

When there were riots in Vancouver after the Stanley Cup it became abundantly clear there were people who were ready for the riot and don't even care about hockey and they came prepared with firebombs and hammers and shit

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:
    QWOP? I must have missed a meme somewhere.

Yeah, I had to look it up too. Decidedly not impressed with the game, although the cosplay is amusing.

Seems like a ghetto version of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzjl0Cu9HgM

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Pony wrote:
    BobCesca wrote:
    Lady Eri wrote:

When there were riots in Vancouver after the Stanley Cup it became abundantly clear there were people who were ready for the riot and don't even care about hockey and they came prepared with firebombs and hammers and shit

It's like that Civil War episode of South Park where Cartmen leads South Park's drunken men on reversing the outcome of the Civil War, and the entirity of North Carolina's Male Population turns up to help them.

• Options
    Pony wrote:
    BobCesca wrote:
    Lady Eri wrote:

A lot of it seems to be kids (well, people under 20) taking advantage of the situation to go looting. Apparently the cops were more prepared but it's bloody awful.

• Options
    South hostSouth host I obey without question Registered User regular
    Pony wrote:
    BobCesca wrote:
    Lady Eri wrote:

It's like that Civil War episode of South Park where Cartmen leads South Park's drunken men on reversing the outcome of the Civil War, and the entirity of North Carolina's Male Population turns up to help them.

Man, why's North Carolina gotta be the state for that? South Carolina is way more likely to do that.

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
  • Options
    Fuck now I am installing Toribash.

The fuck is wrong with me.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Still, the fact that they even consider looting points to some unhealthy social situations. And that a cop shooting a local set it all off.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    South host wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    BobCesca wrote:
    Lady Eri wrote:

Man, why's North Carolina gotta be the state for that? South Carolina is way more likely to do that.

Maybe it was South, I can't remember. Still, over a million men turned up ready to help a bunch of drunken idiots.

• Options
    Also major headlines in my morning news roundup: Perry manages to get 30,000 people to turn up and pray with him (though the fasting seems to have not happened) and horrifically, a family argument in Copley, Ohio ended in the deaths of eight people in two places, including an 11-year-old child.

D:

• Options
    Also, Huckabee's (or whatever his name is) awful, awful animation thing telling the history of the US which seems to be so far 9/11 and WW2.

• Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    I tried Toribash but couldn't understand how to play it.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Good fucking god I am hungry all of a sudden. But I don't want to eat because it felt like I had a lot of food yesterday and I prefer to feel empty then full.

• Options
    BobCesca wrote:
    Also, Huckabee's (or whatever his name is) awful, awful animation thing telling the history of the US which seems to be so far 9/11 and WW2.

I wonder if he'll bring up the fact that the US invaded Canada and then got thoroughly schooled.

• Options
    I tried Toribash but couldn't understand how to play it.

It seems like it has a tutorial these days, I am discovering.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I read the TPM on the Huckabee video, not going to generate pageviews.
    It's just more confirmation of the policy to rewrite history to fit your narrative, even in an age where the information proving it wrong is everywhere.

SanderJK on
  • Options
    Nova_C wrote:
    BobCesca wrote:

I wonder if he'll bring up the fact that the US invaded Canada and then got thoroughly schooled.

Don't know, but apparently the British and Churchill play little part in the story of WW2.

• Options
    I just learned how to rip a man in half with my knees.

• Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote:
    I just learned how to rip a man in half with my knees.

Muay Thai?

工事中
  • Options
    BobCesca wrote:
    Nova_C wrote:
    BobCesca wrote:

Don't know, but apparently the British and Churchill play little part in the story of WW2.

We already act like the Soviets didn't do much, what's excluding another country?

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Nova_C wrote:
    BobCesca wrote:

Given that the War of 1812 ended in a white peace, I don't think 'thoroughly schooled' is a very accurate description of the situation. Canada regarded it as a victory, but that's not the same thing.

• Options
    South host wrote:
    BobCesca wrote:
    Nova_C wrote:
    BobCesca wrote:

We already act like the Soviets didn't do much, what's excluding another country?

It's interesting how few people know why the Berlin wall was built. There is this weird void of knowledge, the existence of which can only be explained by jingoism and popular entertainment. :/

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Man the US invasion of Canada is hilarious. The new country decides to go annex Canada, and the British push them all the way back to the capital, burn it down, and then leave.

It's the exact thing I keep doing in Civilization, only there the result is always to make the AI go nuts trying to attack me.

• Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    There are people in the world with some really weird kinks.

The internet has been educational.

• Options
    Yeah, it's funny* how the overwhelming amount of people don't know that more russians died in WW2 than all other nations (including civilians) combined.

*For a very morbid value of 'funny'

• Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    Man, these Marvel edition Mega Blocks figs are kinda weak.

Stupid symbiote Spidey.

工事中
  • Options
    Nova_C wrote:
    BobCesca wrote:

Given that the War of 1812 ended in a white peace, I don't think 'thoroughly schooled' is a very accurate description of the situation. Canada regarded it as a victory, but that's not the same thing.

Eh, what I do know is that every attempt to actually invade was promptly repulsed.

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Started Fable 3 today.

Way to take an alright game, strip away the more enjoyable aspects, and make it super dull.

• Options
    SanderJK wrote:
    Yeah, it's funny* how the overwhelming amount of people don't know that more russians died in WW2 than all other nations (including civilians) combined.

Or that the battle of Stalingrad is the largest battle in recorded history.

• Options
    South host wrote:
    BobCesca wrote:
    Nova_C wrote:
    BobCesca wrote:

Grr.

But yeah, I find US accounts of WW2 quite often interesting in what they leave out. Not that anyone's denying that the US were instrumental or anything (even before they got involved militarily they were sending supplies out to the UK and other European countries which were needed), and certainly the US manpower in Europe helped (and obviously more so with Japan, though there is more of a tendency to ignore the Australian and New Zealand soldiers who for a long time were alone and nearly up a creek without a paddle in Asia), but there seems to be a narrative which insinuates that Europe would have collapsed were it not for the brave boys from the States and kinda ignores all the other countries which had been fighting for a good few years (and doing some good) before the States got involved.

• Options
    Man the US invasion of Canada is hilarious. The new country decides to go annex Canada, and the British push them all the way back to the capital, burn it down, and then leave.

It's the exact thing I keep doing in Civilization, only there the result is always to make the AI go nuts trying to attack me.

It annoys me that I can't get China off the ground in Civ IV. It's either get invaded by the Mongols or deal with them early and get invaded by the West.

• Options

I remember an ad on History Channel. "The war of 1812: America's second war of independence."

O_o

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote:
    Nova_C wrote:
    BobCesca wrote:

Eh, what I do know is that every attempt to actually invade was promptly repulsed.

Actually we managed to take and hold Lake Erie and Western Ontario.

• Options
    Nova_C wrote:
    SanderJK wrote:

I wonder if there's ever been a survey that asks a bunch of questions like this. I bet a disturbing percentage think Berlin fell to Patton and the 101st Airborne.

• Options
    Nova_C wrote:
    SanderJK wrote:

I think the average Brit just about knows of Stalingrad, and maybe the Battle for Berlin. Kursk, Bagration, Vistula-Oder and Manchuria will be met with expressions of puzzledness.

• Options
    BobCesca wrote:
    But yeah, I find US accounts of WW2 quite often interesting in what they leave out. Not that anyone's denying that the US were instrumental or anything (even before they got involved militarily they were sending supplies out to the UK and other European countries which were needed), and certainly the US manpower in Europe helped (and obviously more so with Japan, though there is more of a tendency to ignore the Australian and New Zealand soldiers who for a long time were alone and nearly up a creek without a paddle in Asia), but there seems to be a narrative which insinuates that Europe would have collapsed were it not for the brave boys from the States and kinda ignores all the other countries which had been fighting for a good few years (and doing some good) before the States got involved.

I agree though I've noticed this slowly eroding. I think with the decline of the WWII generation and their kids people are becoming more aware of the overall history rather than just the part people here originally cared the most about.

• Options
    BobCesca wrote:
    Grr.

Well, if anyone would think about it at all, Britain held Germany back to a standstill while the US dicked around. As far as I'm concerned, Britain fought Germany to a stalemate at the channel, and the US broke the stalemate. That may not be entirely accurate as I'm no historian, but all the research into WW2 that I have done suggests this.

• Options
    Quid wrote:
    BobCesca wrote:

I agree though I've noticed this slowly eroding. I think with the decline of the WWII generation and their kids people are becoming more aware of the overall history rather than just the part people here originally cared the most about.

It also probably helps that every Call of Duty included Soviet and British campaigns. Some even had Polish and Canadians, I think.

• Options
    South host wrote:
    It also probably helps that every Call of Duty included Soviet and British campaigns. Some even had Polish and Canadians, I think.

Comics and video games educating like no one's bidness.

This discussion has been closed.