As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

DC Comics: New Universe, New Readers

• Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    can i use this thread to talk about death of spider-man some more

because i'm still really loving that story

like i cannot imagine a more perfect way for it to have gone

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    jackal wrote:
    I've been thinking about getting the Marvel Digital Comics subscription. There wouldn't by any chance be a giant gant chart of marvel series somewhere?

Back in my day we had Uncanny X-Men, X-Men, X-Factor and X-Force, and that's the way we liked it. Had to walk to the comic store both ways in the snow etc.

http://marvel.com/comics/getting_started_comics

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Balefuego wrote:
    89243-3092-106278-1-uncanny-x-men-the_super.jpg

Yeah! Badass!

Solar on
  • Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    jackal wrote:
    I've been thinking about getting the Marvel Digital Comics subscription. There wouldn't by any chance be a giant gant chart of marvel series somewhere?

Back in my day we had Uncanny X-Men, X-Men, X-Factor and X-Force, and that's the way we liked it. Had to walk to the comic store both ways in the snow etc.

http://marvel.com/comics/getting_started_comics

Perfect. Thanks.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Vann Diras wrote:
    oh man red hood sounds cool too
    Red Hood looks like it will be a fun, albeit violent, team book. Jason Todd is a pretty great lead character and Arsenal is due for a revamp.

In fact, here are my top ten books out of the relaunch in no particular order:
    Action Comics
    It is Grant Morrison writing the new origin of Superman as a working class hero. This is literally a perfect premise to me and I am incredibly excited to see what Grant has in store for the new Clark.

Resurrection Man
    The original 20-something run on Resurrection Man in the late 90s by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning(same writers as the new series) is one of my favorite comics ever. Great inventive main character, compelling mystery and great supporting cast. This is hopefully more of the same..

Demon Knights
    Paul Cornell is an awesome writer who loves writing British things. This is a book about Etrigan, Vandal Savage, Madame Xanadu and 4 other new characters forming a ye olde Dirty Dozen to fight off a magic barbarian horde written in the vein of Game of Thrones or Dragon Age. Yes please.

Stormwatch
    Again, Cornell is a great writer. I've always been a fan of The Authority, and the fact that Martian Manhunter has joined the squad to serve as a moral compass would be enough to get me to buy the book even if it didn't have great art and interesting sounding plots. Which it does.

Grifter
    Nathan Edmunson wrote the best spy thriller comic in ages, Who is Jake Ellis?, and has proved himself a master of the psychological espionage thriller. Grifter seems to be firmly in his wheelhouse and stars a smarmy lead with a good costume that I've always been fond of. Cafu is also a fantastic artist.

Justice League
    For all of his faults, Geoff Johns is perfectly capable of writing great, fun superhero action stories. Justice League looks to be the biggest one he's ever done. I'm not as avid of a Jim Lee fan as some people, but I don't mind his art and am really excited to see how this new League functions on an Earth that isn't as welcoming as the previous universe.

Swamp Thing
    Scott Snyder is a fucking rad horror writer and Yannick Paquette is a terrifyingly talented artist. That plus the fact that Snyder is firmly entrenching Swamp Thing in the middle of the new DCU while also incorporating the landmark runs that came before him makes this one of the most promising of the New 52.

Aquaman
    I fucking love Aquaman. He has always been a favorite character of mine, no matter the incarnation. So the fact that Johns is attempting to ignite interest in Arthur the same way he has Green Lantern and Flash is enough to get me super excited, but the act of Arthur attempting to become a more traditional superhero while proving himself in a world where everyone thinks he is a joke is just icing on the cake.

Batman
    Snyder wrote the best Batman story not written by Grant Morrison in years over in Detective Comics, it is almost a certainty that he will continue his streak of pure quality here. Plus, Greg Capullo is a pretty rad artist and fits Batman well.

Teen Titans
    This is solely due to Scott Lobdell's prior experience as a writer of teen superheroes and his raw enthusiasm for the project through half a dozen interviews. Brett Booth is not a great artist by any means, but his ideas with the Titans being like teenagers and changing their costumes often shows that he is willing to put forth extra effort to make this book work. Plus it has been compared to Young Justice, which is the best teen superhero team book ever.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    Sara Lynn wrote:
    If I have never read X-men comics but want to start what do I read

there is too much

Well if you're not interested in mining 50 years of history, you cold try Uncanny X-Men #1 and Wolverine and The X-Men #1 come October.

Both of those should be a good jumping on point. Wikipedia is your friend when it comes to characters and references you don't understand.

Generation Hope is a current ongoing that isn't terribly heavy with the continuity. It has a cast of mostly new characters. All of them are teenagers and all but one of the team is a new mutant. Kieron Gillen, the writer, describes it as The Authority meets My So Called Life. It's just now on issue #9 so it's not a huge investment.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    is it just me or does it seem like an oddly large amount of the new DC books use the word "espionage" in their descriptions?

• Options
    is it just me or does it seem like an oddly large amount of the new DC books use the word "espionage" in their descriptions?
    Well the whole Edge group is meant to follow a darker and more militaryish tone.

Espionage probably describes half the titles there.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    so I'm checking out the Marvel Comics app for Chrome and they've got Thor and the Warriors Four free to read

pretty cool

• Options
    edited August 2011
    so I'm checking out the Marvel Comics app for Chrome and they've got Thor and the Warriors Four free to read

pretty cool

Seems like they have a decent amount of free stuff.

I am reading Earth X #1.

edit:

They have Wolverine: First Class 13-19 for free and X-Men: First Class 6-16 as well.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Whatever happened to John Paul Leon? He fucking killed it on Static and Earth X, and then he dropped off the face of the earth.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Whatever happened to John Paul Leon? He fucking killed it on Static and Earth X, and then he dropped off the face of the earth.

The only thing I can think of is covers for DMZ.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    He did The Winter Men mini at DC in 2006 with a double sized one shot finale in 08.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote:
    Vann Diras wrote:
    oh man red hood sounds cool too
    Red Hood looks like it will be a fun, albeit violent, team book. Jason Todd is a pretty great lead character and Arsenal is due for a revamp.

In fact, here are my top ten books out of the relaunch in no particular order:
    Action Comics
    It is Grant Morrison writing the new origin of Superman as a working class hero. This is literally a perfect premise to me and I am incredibly excited to see what Grant has in store for the new Clark.

Resurrection Man
    The original 20-something run on Resurrection Man in the late 90s by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning(same writers as the new series) is one of my favorite comics ever. Great inventive main character, compelling mystery and great supporting cast. This is hopefully more of the same..

Demon Knights
    Paul Cornell is an awesome writer who loves writing British things. This is a book about Etrigan, Vandal Savage, Madame Xanadu and 4 other new characters forming a ye olde Dirty Dozen to fight off a magic barbarian horde written in the vein of Game of Thrones or Dragon Age. Yes please.

Stormwatch
    Again, Cornell is a great writer. I've always been a fan of The Authority, and the fact that Martian Manhunter has joined the squad to serve as a moral compass would be enough to get me to buy the book even if it didn't have great art and interesting sounding plots. Which it does.

Grifter
    Nathan Edmunson wrote the best spy thriller comic in ages, Who is Jake Ellis?, and has proved himself a master of the psychological espionage thriller. Grifter seems to be firmly in his wheelhouse and stars a smarmy lead with a good costume that I've always been fond of. Cafu is also a fantastic artist.

Justice League
    For all of his faults, Geoff Johns is perfectly capable of writing great, fun superhero action stories. Justice League looks to be the biggest one he's ever done. I'm not as avid of a Jim Lee fan as some people, but I don't mind his art and am really excited to see how this new League functions on an Earth that isn't as welcoming as the previous universe.

Swamp Thing
    Scott Snyder is a fucking rad horror writer and Yannick Paquette is a terrifyingly talented artist. That plus the fact that Snyder is firmly entrenching Swamp Thing in the middle of the new DCU while also incorporating the landmark runs that came before him makes this one of the most promising of the New 52.

Aquaman
    I fucking love Aquaman. He has always been a favorite character of mine, no matter the incarnation. So the fact that Johns is attempting to ignite interest in Arthur the same way he has Green Lantern and Flash is enough to get me super excited, but the act of Arthur attempting to become a more traditional superhero while proving himself in a world where everyone thinks he is a joke is just icing on the cake.

Batman
    Snyder wrote the best Batman story not written by Grant Morrison in years over in Detective Comics, it is almost a certainty that he will continue his streak of pure quality here. Plus, Greg Capullo is a pretty rad artist and fits Batman well.

Teen Titans
    This is solely due to Scott Lobdell's prior experience as a writer of teen superheroes and his raw enthusiasm for the project through half a dozen interviews. Brett Booth is not a great artist by any means, but his ideas with the Titans being like teenagers and changing their costumes often shows that he is willing to put forth extra effort to make this book work. Plus it has been compared to Young Justice, which is the best teen superhero team book ever.

i am actually really really excited for action comics. i didn't care all that much for all star superman because what morrison was trying to evoke wasn't really my bag, but it did show that he had a fundamental understanding of why superman is awesome so hopefully i'll like this a lot more

• Options
    I am pretty sure Action Comics is going to be fun, relatively, straight forward comics Morrison as opposed to his higher concept weirder stuff.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I too am really excited for action comics

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    blank lemme see if you can guess my top ten

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    blank lemme see if you can guess my top ten
    Voodoo
    OMAC
    Grifter
    Blackhawks
    All-Star Western
    Resurrection Man
    Frankenstein, Agent of S.H.A.D.E.
    Justice League Dark
    Swamp Thing
    Red Hood and the Outlaws

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Soudns about right to me

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    you forgot I, Vampire

• Options
    Yeah I shoulda put it in over Red Hood

but I would like to think that TLB has at least a little taste left

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    blank I am disappointed in you

you only got 50% right

it is

Swamp Thing
    Red Hood and the Outlaws
    Justice League Dark
    Frankenstein, Agent of S.H.A.D.E.
    Voodoo
    Animal Man
    Stormwatch
    Aquaman
    Static Shock
    Wonder Woman

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    I wouldn't have pegged you for a Wonder Woman fan TLB

• Options
    See I wasn't sure if you would be as excited about Aquaman as I am

I know we share a love of him but I can't remember if you like Johns or not

also where the hell is Resurrection Man on that list

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Solar wrote:

Which is odd, because Wonder Woman fans are usually pegged

• Options
    Keith wrote:
    Solar wrote:

Which is odd, because Wonder Woman fans are usually pegged

Bah-dum-tish!

• Options
    Johns is more hit or miss for me than JMS

When I like what he is doing, I love it

When I hate what he is doing, it is the worst thing I have read

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Johns has written quite a few things I don't like at all

but the sheer amount of good-to-great stuff he has written vastly outweighs the bad

JMS, on the other hand, is more terrible than good.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    and I am excited for Resurrection Man, but not as much as those other things

also Blackhawks, Grifter, Legion Lost, Mister Terrific, and Demon Knights

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    yeah looking at blank's guesses i couldn't help but ask why swamp thing wasn't at the top

• Options
    also if Azzarello/Chiang capture the magic of Doctor 13 with Wonder Woman it will be the best book

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Vann Diras wrote:
    yeah looking at blank's guesses i couldn't help but ask why swamp thing wasn't at the top
    I didn't put em in order!

and TLB, you hate magic and wizards why the heck are you excited for Demon Knights

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I really, really like Vandal Savage

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Dude is in my top 3 DC Supervillains

hell he is half the reason I love Resurrection Man

the eternal duel between Mitch and Vandal is the best rivalry ever

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    There was an awesome else world that was basically vandal savage fighting and killing batmen throughout the ages. So damn good

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    That is pretty great

Vandal Savage is the coolest caveman in comics

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    I really, really like Vandal Savage

He is pretty awesome.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    I AM EXCITED FOR STORMWATCH

GON GET MY MARTIAN MANHUNTER ON

thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    he is the second coolest caveman in all of fiction

the first, naturally being
    425_caveman_lawyer2.jpg

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    the audacity of pants

twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
This discussion has been closed.