As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Move around and stop eating that crap [Weight Loss and Fitness]

• LexxyLexxy Registered User regular
    Aphostile wrote:
    Lexxy wrote:
    2.5 pounds down, 22.5 to go!

Slowly upping my run time too. I can handle 15 minutes now. A little over a week ago I couldn't handle more than 5 minute bursts at a time. I'll be back to running 3 miles a day in no time B)

YOU GET BACK OUTSIDE AND YOU GO RUN MORE.

YES SIR RIGHT AWAY SIR

Actually running outside causes me a lot of problems so I generally run on a treadmill or indoor track, is that ok?

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Squall wrote: »
    I finally hit my goal weight of 180! that's 25 lbs dropped since September

feelin pretty good about it, now to see how well I can maintain!

bsno3.jpg

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    Lexxy wrote: »
    Aphostile wrote:
    Lexxy wrote:
    2.5 pounds down, 22.5 to go!

Slowly upping my run time too. I can handle 15 minutes now. A little over a week ago I couldn't handle more than 5 minute bursts at a time. I'll be back to running 3 miles a day in no time B)

YOU GET BACK OUTSIDE AND YOU GO RUN MORE.

YES SIR RIGHT AWAY SIR

Actually running outside causes me a lot of problems so I generally run on a treadmill or indoor track, is that ok?

You're a constant disappointment.

I'm kidding, run indoors if you prefer!

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    I'm not actually going to run more today, but I did force myself to do my push ups and crunches, which I didn't have time to do at the gym today due to 10-YEAR-OLD BROTHER HOMEWORK CRISIS.

Crisis averted, complete workout accomplished.

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Got my new running shoes earlier! They felt pretty darn good, and they're not even fully broken-in yet.

• That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    I heard we were hating on stationary bikes and their awful saddles?

I do 30-45 minutes on them for cardio at the gym and my ass is killing me afterwards.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    everyone in here is awesome. <3

• TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Oh, everyone gets excited about Lexxy losing weight I see how it is.

Big fat me who cares?

Stupid cute girl boo hoo (good for you Lexx)

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    Ugh my butt still hurts

Tonkka wrote: »

Big fat me who cares?

I don't want you to lose weight 'cause then you won't be so cuddly.
    (I'm kidding, keep up the good work man)

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    Also my solution to stationary bike seats is to use the recumbent stationary bikes at my gym. Much easier on my butt and easier to read a book also.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote:
    Squall wrote: »
    I finally hit my goal weight of 180! that's 25 lbs dropped since September

feelin pretty good about it, now to see how well I can maintain!

bsno3.jpg

gonna drink every beer and gain it all back

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    recumbent is a funny fucking word

also I haven't been to the gym at all this week because I haven't been sleeping right, and also my knee is twinging for some unknown reason

ikbUJdU.jpg
    stop making excuses Mysst! working out will help you sleep better.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    Those are the lower ones right Dru?

I'm too tall for them :(

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    yes because I will have passed out with a barbell across my throat

ikbUJdU.jpg
    Those are the lower ones right Dru?

I'm too tall for them :(

They're bikes that you recline in. And they're adjustable, but of course the seat only adjusts so far so that's a bummer.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    i wanna take the opportunity to sincerely thank everyone here in this thread for being an incredible support group

checking back in here every day and seeing good advice, encouragement and steady improvement really made keeping to a diet and exercise routine easy and worthwhile

i personally feel a heck of a lot better about myself since popping in here (funny, considering I felt worse about myself when I had been avoiding this thread for a month after it appeared)

so thanks everyone! keep on keepin on

Yeh I'm a little too tall for a few of the things at my gym.

I miss your swole seagull squall

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I heard we were hating on stationary bikes and their awful saddles?

I do 30-45 minutes on them for cardio at the gym and my ass is killing me afterwards.

They are a singular type of self torture

really need to remember to adjust it next time, for my stupid short legs. When I sat down it seemed ok; somewhere around the 5-minute mark I realized that for my best reach I was having to lean too far back or push too far forward to be on the pedals correct.

zucchini wrote:
    Ugh my butt still hurts

Also this, holy mackerel

Lower back is also not feeling good but that might be woman troubles ugh

Friday is totally my day off from the gym

tapeslinger on
    What I don't get is, what prevented you from stopping and adjusting the seat once you realized it was at the wrong height?

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    Druhim wrote:
    I miss your swole seagull squall

i've migrated to fitbit! nearly identical to mfp so the switch was easy

11104658.png

goodnight, swole prince

I think it was @LTM who said I should be trying to keep my cadence at around 80? That'd be the same as RPM? Which is what the stationary bike measures in. I keep it around 80 and that seems to work the best.

There's this guy at my gym that I keep seeing on the recumbent bikes that keeps doing this thing where he pauses riding for a few seconds every couple of minutes or so, and I just want to tell the dude it would be more effective if he just slowed his roll and kept a steady pace instead of taking frequent breaks to catch his breath.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Mysst wrote:

also I haven't been to the gym at all this week because I haven't been sleeping right, and also my knee is twinging for some unknown reason

Heh

heheheheheh

• tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular
    Druhim wrote:
    What I don't get is, what prevented you from stopping and adjusting the seat once you realized it was at the wrong height?

I didn't think it was going to throw me off quite as much as it did, so I just sort of figured I would keep going. (I am still out-of-shape enough that I sometimes simply assume I just need to keep going and whatever minor thing is bothering me will bother me less if I keep going, which is usually true, just not this time :) )

File under "lesson learned"

• zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    I'm thinking maybe a towel on the seat for extra cushion

• StaleStale Registered User regular
    I haven't been to the gym in a while now

with my liver and kidneys, even walking to the car has me winded. I have to stop during grocery shopping and rest.

it's pathetic.

easysig2.jpg
    malingerer

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    walk it off sally

• ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    Mysst wrote: »

Sounds like you need 100 blowjobs. What ARE you girlfriends doing? Obviously not their JOB.

EyQGd.jpg
    Marg wants to be your beej girl.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    I think it was @LTM who said I should be trying to keep my cadence at around 80? That'd be the same as RPM? Which is what the stationary bike measures in. I keep it around 80 and that seems to work the best.

Yeah, should be the same. 80-100 is the general range, for cardio-oriented spinning. The general rule of thumb I use is that if my legs start to feel fatigued, lower the resistance and up the RPM. If I'm out of breath, or my heart feels like its going to explode, lower the RPM.

I came in here to also bemoan my ass this morning. Recumbent stationary bike ftw.

Also, @Squall, you are a fucking beast.

Yeh I do a variety thing and the resistance goes from between 1-18. My heartrate gets up to about 170 on the highest resistance but stays steady around 150 for the majority of the time I'm cycling.

• AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Tonkka wrote:

Big fat me who cares?

I'm sorry Tonkka...I'm excited for you too! Just less.

But you know who I'll be sharing a rumple minze shot with in August.

Nothing. Matters.
  • ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Oh man. @Raijin Quickfoot sent me cookies. I am determined to eat NO MORE THAN one every other day.

Also: I'm looking around at other gyms, remembering why I'm a member of this one: dirt cheap compared to everyone else around. I think I'll just put up with the things I don't like about this one.

ThreeCubed on
    EyQGd.jpg
    zucchini wrote:
    I'm thinking maybe a towel on the seat for extra cushion

Get padded bike shorts you guys!

If riding is your preferred form of cardio (whether you ride a stationary bike or an actual bike), it'd be totally worth it to get a $20-$30 pair of padded bike shorts. Any sporting goods store should have some, they are a real thing that is common among cyclists. I came super close to getting some when I was riding to work every day but my dad gave me one of his really nice cushy bike seats so I didn't end up needing them, but you can't switch out the seats on a gym bike (plus a nice seat is usually more expensive than some shorts) so yeah.

• LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    Padded shorts don't really help a stationary bike seat, in my experience.

They just aren't really ergonomic, so much as they are "one size fits all asses".

But yeah, for actual biking, I need them any time I'm going for more than a 30min ride.

This discussion has been closed.