Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

There is now a new [STEAM] thread to post in

TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu ___________PIGEON_________San Diego, CA Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in Games and Technology
INCOMING TRADING
trading_beta.jpg
DNfgD.png
steamlogom.png
facebook.gif twitter.gif

Coping With Steam: Reinterpreted Artistic Commentary on Our Shared Affliction
Spoiler:

Most Frequently Asked Questions

1. Steam's search tool is cumbersome and not very informative. Is there a website, other than Steam's, I can go to find out what's on sale?

2. Can I register this copy of (Insert Game Here) on Steam?
Here's a list of games you can register on Steam. You can always add a non-Steam game to your Steam games list, so that people can see you playing it.

3. If I buy a game pack that already includes a game I own, can I gift that game?
No, this was a one-time thing for people who already owned Half-Life 2 and bought the Orange Box. Additional copies you own are lost forever to the ether.

4. Why isn't __Insert Game Here__ available in my horrible little corner of the earth?
Many Steam games might be unavailable in your country if you have the temerity to live outside of the United States. This is not Steam's fault. Regional game availability is determined solely by the publisher, who should be the source of your ire. Gifting works regardless of region so you might find some helpful person in North America who can gift you the game.

5. How do I get an invite to the Penny Arcade Steam group?
The most convenient way is to just post a link to your Steam profile page (getting one of the swank signatures described below makes it easy) and ask for an invite.

Some Words on Gifting

If you receive a game or pack via a gift or a contest, remember to thank that person either through a PM or by announcing it in the thread. We are classy gentlemen and will act as such.

If you are having trouble sending a gift to someone or want to grab a game at sale price to be used as a gift sometime down the road, remember you have the option of sending a gift via e-mail, including to your own e-mail! You can then forward the e-mail message to the intended recipient at some later time, as long as the hyperlink to actually open the gift hasn’t been clicked.

An Important Word on Contests

If you decide to run or participate in a giveaway contest for gift copies of games, please remember that all entry submissions must now be made via PM. The forum mods have stated that pages of the thread being filled with pictures, videos, etc. submitted as contest entries will lead to such contests being banned. So please, for the sake of the thread – take it to PMs.

Helpful Stuff

Steam Price Guide
Do you have the misfortune to live somewhere other than America? Steam hates you! Luckily, this cool website with prices for Steam games all around the world is here to help, so you can know if you want to ask an American friend to buy the game for you or not.
AUSTRALIANS!!!!

You need this program.

It reconfigures your Windows IPSEC settings (run it as an admin) to block out all but the servers which don't count towards your download quota on Steam. Now supports a bunch of ISPs through a graphical interface.

Basically guarantees you won't add to your download quota with Steam.
Ampix wrote: »
LaCabra wrote: »
150KB/s :(

Download TCPview: TCPView

Then, use TCPview to close all Steam TCP servers (this is important, NOT the UDP ones, just the TCP ones). Steam will then reconnect to a different server, which will hopefully get you a better speed. If you don't go faster in a couple of seconds, retry until you get a speed you like.

This shit totally needs to go into the OP, I've tipped this to so many people already.

Cool Community Add-Ons

Steam Signatures
With such a cool service, someone must have done some extra things to build on it. The forums have one such man, who made some super cool Steam signatures. Suds is his name and killing is his game. Except for the killing. The signatures automatically use backgrounds for the games and the correct icon. Pretty neat, and they're 100% free!

Sample signature:
steam_sig.png

Steam Calculator
You can also use a script on his Steam Calculator page to see how much your Steam account would be worth if you had taken advantage of some obscure, arcane combination of special deals that nobody could ever have taken advantage of. Or something sort of like that.

Steam Roulette
Having trouble picking a game out of your burgeoning [strike]backlog[/strike] gamebank to play? Let VicWhiten's Steam Roulette decide! Just type in your Steam community ID (easier if you set up a custom URL on your Steam profile page), and Steam Roulette will read your library and randomly pick one game every time you hit "Spin the Wheel!" It even connects to Steam to allow you to install or start the game with a single click.

TychoCelchuuu on

• ForarForar #432 Already prepping for Toronto Fan Expo!Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Hooray, new thread smell!

Ugh, 6 more maps in Defense Grid to go for the last achievement. My interest in doing anything but getting the gold and moving on has waned considerably.

Forar on
    sigtwo.png
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Registered User regular
    I'm really glad that the last Steam Sale was a bunch of games I already owned. Many of them are on disc, but still.

Steam ID: Hahnsoo, Steam Name currently: Hahnsopolis | PSN: Hahnsoo | Monster Hunter Tri: Hahnsoo, E8HJCA
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I am mildly surprised by my resolve to not pick up anything during the QuakeCon sale. Yay me?

camo_sig2.png
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard Registered User regular
    I would normally be posting at this point to get the little blue dot next to the topic, but I guess bookmarking it is just the same, nowadays.
    Also, here's to going broke buying games. And then looking at the Steam Game Sales website and seeing even more games that I'd love to have that I'll never get to play. :P

steam_sig.png
    NNID - bejamus | ESO - (at)guinneapig
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Now that I've actually started playing Vampire from that sale recently, I can understand why everyone likes it so much.

3DS code: 3480-2527-9521
    steam_sig.png
  • corin7corin7 Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I went a little nuts during the QuakeCon sale. I ordered parts for a new PC on Sunday and decided I may as well get some shit pre-ordered. So Skyrim, Rage and Deus Ex got pre-ordered and I went ahead and picked up Brink. Been on the fence about it since release but figured I may as well give it a shot. All my parts should be here by tomorrow looking forward to checking it out.

corin7 on
    ninsig.jpg
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    Hmmm, I think that the title's analogy can be extended by noting that EA wants to cut off Steam's fin (DLC profits) and throw the rest back into the ocean.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Looks like Midweek Madness is Terrarai half off, but sale price hasn't actually been implemented yet.

steam_sig.png
    Add me on PSN, Raptr and Wii U and probably every other gaming service under the name: Corpekata
    3ds Friend code: 2251-4724-0730
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    Pricing seems to be fixed.

[sarcasm]
    Better buy it now before the devs see that its on sale for lower than what it should be and make Valve raise the price.
    [/sarcasm]

camo_sig2.png
  • heenatoheenato Registered User regular
    Not bad timing, as thhere's supposed to be an update to terraria today.

camo_sig2.png
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    Also, good to see you back at the reins Tych. :)

camo_sig2.png
  • AddaAdda Registered User regular
    Half price Terraria, get it you fools.

Hope the update goes up soon so I can play some today!

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • DrakeDrake Blow it all up ForeverRegistered User regular
    Is today the day I preorder RO2?

Do I order the Digital Deluxe Edition for KF skins and final beta access?

Why is life full of so many hard choices?

• Bobkins FlymoBobkins Flymo HAPPY WAALUWEEN Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    I like how the post-summer thread took a month to fill up.

How slow she goes in these safer times.

eG9gdum.gif
  • LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    Terraria for 5 is a pretty great deal.

XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Terraria just updated so I imagine patch is a go.

Corpekata on
    steam_sig.png
    Add me on PSN, Raptr and Wii U and probably every other gaming service under the name: Corpekata
    3ds Friend code: 2251-4724-0730
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Pretty big patch:
    Spoiler:

camo_sig2.png
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Wow, that's quite the patch. I'm assuming we need to create a new world for all of this to take effect?

steam_sig.png
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    Does this new forum software have the same 100 post limit?

camo_sig2.png
  • UnreadableHulkUnreadableHulk Registered User
    Sale of the Day is Sniper Elite: http://store.steampowered.com/app/3700/

Yea? Nay? The video and screenshots look good but has anyone actually played it?

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu ___________PIGEON _________San Diego, CA Registered User regular
  • APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Guess I'll be getting back into Terraria. Wow. Maybe I'll just use my old character to build a basic house with all his extra materials, then start completely fresh. I've been wanting to actually try building a
    mansion though...

Also, anyone try Trauma yet? It looks so interesting, but I'd love some firsthand looks first.

Finally, I've been trying out Steel Storm thanks to the HIB. Am I the only one who finds it... very lacking? The menu interface is a mess, controls aren't explained - the only way to see what does what is in the customization screen which is incredibly clumsy. Also whenever I load a level, after the actual loading screen, I get another screen that's basically a wall of DOS-like text about what files are being accessed and such. That seems so sloppy, isn't a loading screen supposed to hide that?

Also the game itself is just... blah. When I die I just respawn with all my upgrades (what few there are) intact and all enemies still defeated. It makes things stupid easy. I was wanting a topdown shooter since I missed on Jamestown during the Sale... and Steel Storm has not fit the bill at all.

Baseball Arcade - A Blog of Baseball Musings and Analysis and a Companion to the MLB Thread

steam_sig.png
  • TheCanManTheCanMan Registered User regular

Yea? Nay? The video and screenshots look good but has anyone actually played it?

I'd say pass on it. I got it for like $2 or something during a sale. I think I've put a hour or two into it and it's not very fun. It's not exactly bad, just boring.

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    Forar wrote:
    Hooray, new thread smell!

Ugh, 6 more maps in Defense Grid to go for the last achievement. My interest in doing anything but getting the gold and moving on has waned considerably.

That is pretty crazy. Most of the challenge versions don't look interesting enough to bother with, especially the grinders. I pretty much just fire it up and clear a map or two once a week while watching TV.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549 AC:NL Trading List
    sig.gif
  • JsunuJsunu Registered User
    Been playing Trauma.... it is interesting to say the least :/

steam_sig.png
  • APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Jsunu wrote:
    Been playing Trauma.... it is interesting to say the least :/

Good interesting or bad?

Baseball Arcade - A Blog of Baseball Musings and Analysis and a Companion to the MLB Thread

steam_sig.png
  • UnreadableHulkUnreadableHulk Registered User
    TheCanMan wrote:

I'd say pass on it. I got it for like $2 or something during a sale. I think I've put a hour or two into it and it's not very fun. It's not exactly bad, just boring.

Hmm, I gotcha. Think I will avoid it then. Thanks for the advice, good sir.

• AsheAshe Registered User regular
    Terraria at 50% off is a great deal. Got 30-40 hours of awesomeness out of it, a mixture of single-player and hours spent spelunking with friends. And with the constant content patches, I'm sure I'll be drawn back to it in the future.

steam_sig.png
  • RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    I saw this on RPS. It's the "New Vision" mod for the original Deus Ex, which adds 1,5 gb of new pretty textures. No new models, mind you, just textures. I haven't tried it myself, because I actually don't have Deus Ex on Steam. Ho, ho, ho!

http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-new-vision/news/new-vision-version-10-released

steam_sig.png
    Roshin wrote:
    I saw this on RPS. It's the "New Vision" mod for the original Deus Ex, which adds 1,5 gb of new pretty textures. No new models, mind you, just textures. I haven't tried it myself, because I actually don't have Deus Ex on Steam. Ho, ho, ho!

http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-new-vision/news/new-vision-version-10-released

Awesome. This has been sitting in my backlog taunting me. This may be the incentive I needed to finally take the plunge.

• KainyKainy Registered User regular
    BTW Lostprophet, your (totally rad-ass) gifting me that copy of Cthulhu Saves the World and Breath of Death VII has led to me ending up buying a copy for one of my friends as a gift and convincing another to buy it.

I love the cascading gift effect!

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • ForarForar #432 Already prepping for Toronto Fan Expo!Registered User regular
    Rami wrote:
    That is pretty crazy. Most of the challenge versions don't look interesting enough to bother with, especially the grinders. I pretty much just fire it up and clear a map or two once a week while watching TV.

I go through periods of time where I knock off 20 maps in a week while watching a few shows I'm keeping tabs on, and then months where I won't touch it. Realized I was close to finishing the final achievement and figured I'd give it a shot.

The thing I like about the challenge modes is that my usual strategy for the standard levels doesn't work, so I've had to change things up a bit to survive. The base game can basically be won with nothing but cannon towers and a few temporal towers. This doesn't hold true for Grinders (meteors are where it's at), no gun rounds (Teslas became a quick favourite for those), etc. It's also changed how I view shaping the maps and the order in which I build/upgrade.

sigtwo.png
  • Triple BTriple B Registered User regular
    Man, I should fire up Terraria again sometime. I bought it pretty much the first week it came out, and it remains very close to the "best <$10 I've ever spent" list. At $5, anyone who does not own it yet should seriously jump all the fuck over it. You won't miss that money once you play the game, broski's.

steam_sig.png
  • lostprophetlostprophet Registered User
    Kainy wrote:
    BTW Lostprophet, your (totally rad-ass) gifting me that copy of Cthulhu Saves the World and Breath of Death VII has led to me ending up buying a copy for one of my friends as a gift and convincing another to buy it.

I love the cascading gift effect!

That is the idea lol <3 Rainbow and slash deserve the support since they do make such great games.

Steam: macg1991
    wotuserbar01.jpg: macg1991
    Check out the Penny Arcade World of Tanks thread to join us in some fun times.
    I'm copying this over to the new thread because it may be the greatest idea I've ever heard.
    The trouble with Mirror's Edge is they make you go through a 6 hour long tutorial before putting you in the actual game... the time trials.

Also, the parking garage part is awful.

But really, the time trials are amazing and fun and really if they got to make Mirror's Edge 2 I kinda wouldn't mind if there were no story at all... just environments that you need to get through as quickly as possible.

Multiplayer relay races would be pretty rad.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu ___________PIGEON _________San Diego, CA Registered User regular
    Yes, because the best part about racing is losing because one of your teammates is an idiot.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Yes, because the best part about racing is losing because one of your teammates is an idiot.

That's a consideration in basically any team based or cooperative game

Though, I wouldn't really want to only play for like 1/3 or 1/4 of the match, so fuck relay races.

Now, competitive races on maps with multiple routes and also maybe some blues throughout the stage to spice things up I could get behind.

Maybe do each match over like three or four maps, and the lowest combined time is the winner.

camo_sig2-400.png
    icon-18x18_zps3f731cae.png Basilius | TF2 Backpack | SMITE - Laitarne | PSN - Masked_Unit
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Since EA can't decide if they want to fund it, they should get corp sponsorship from either Pizza Hut or Domino's. Mirror's Edge: Pizza Parkour. You run around delivering pies in 30 minutes or less...in a distopian future.

wpf91qjuczat.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • What Is Schwa?What Is Schwa? Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I bought a copy of the Quakecon 2011 Pack (all iD/Bethesda games + DLC) for someone who ended up not wanting it. I paid the pre-order price of $54.99. If anyone is interested I can still gift it. I would prefer paypal but I'd be willing to trade it for other games on Steam.

Add me on Steam http://steamcommunity.com/id/whatisschwa
    I will update this post when the copy is gone. If you can read this, I still have it! =)

What Is Schwa? on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Since EA can't decide if they want to fund it, they should get corp sponsorship from either Pizza Hut or Domino's. Mirror's Edge: Pizza Parkour. You run around delivering pies in 30 minutes or less...in a distopian future.
    But really, burnout paradise + mirrors edge.

camo_sig2.png
This discussion has been closed.