As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Records: I need to play them

NekxNekx Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I've always wanted to start a record collection, and last month I took the dive. Problem is, I have absolutely no knowledge on anything concerning record players. Coworker of mine says Denon is the go-to brand, but I haven't a clue and would like to hear the opinions of good ol' PA forumers. So, any suggestions?

Nekx on

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Budget?

EDIT: Also, what is your current set-up? Does your receiver have a phono line in?

Esh on
  • Options
    Oh ya, hahaha. I can go to around 300, but I'd prefer it to be in the low 200s.

• Options
    I currently am running my speakers through my sound card and have phono lines in. Some time down the line, I'd like to get a proper setup. So, anything that most amps/recievers use would be preferable.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Do you have any vintage stereo shops near you? I'd suggest something like a mid to late 70s Marantz record player.

This is my setup.
    5536345550_4f3a547ea7_b.jpg

The receiver was around $300 I think and the record player was about $225. They're both fully refurbished though.

Esh on
  • Options
    Not sure if we have any shops around here, I'll have to take a look. Is there any advantage to buying refurbished as opposed to new? I'd like to be able to just nab something of amazon or something and hopefully getting some kind of a warranty with it. If the old stuff is where it's at, though, I'll definitely start looking for some local shops ASAP.

• Options
    Nekx wrote:
    Not sure if we have any shops around here, I'll have to take a look. Is there any advantage to buying refurbished as opposed to new? I'd like to be able to just nab something of amazon or something and hopefully getting some kind of a warranty with it. If the old stuff is where it's at, though, I'll definitely start looking for some local shops ASAP.

Well, they're generally a lot more aesthetically pleasing, and for the price, they're going to sound a ton better. They're also WAY more solid than those all plastic pieces of shit you're going to pull off of Amazon.

You have a phono line-in on your sound card? Never seen that. Without knowing exactly how that would work (does it have a ground?) I can't recommend anything.

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Get one and when you do buy a supply of needles. The last thing you want to do is be me with a 2000$ stereo system by a company that was bought out in 1999 and not be able to find a freaking needle.

Anything except for those wonky record players in those little wooden boxes with built in speakers should do you well. I had one of those once and it sounded terrible and the mechanism for actually playing the record was cheap and worked very strangely.

Basically had the same result for different models of that type and all were garbage.

I run the vinyl only label Short Forest (url is down, atm) and have pressed my own records. There's a whole bunch of marketing shit out there that will promise you better audio fidelity if you do this or that. Most of it is Monster Cable type nonsense. You can get a good turn table for a bill and some good speakers for another bill. Splurge a bit if you can and get a table with a USB adapter for those times you pick up a vinyl only release.

• Options
    Sheep wrote:
    Get one and when you do buy a supply of needles. The last thing you want to do is be me with a 2000$ stereo system by a company that was bought out in 1999 and not be able to find a freaking needle.

Most needles and cartridges follow a pretty standard format. I've never had an issue finding what I need online.

• Options
    Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
    You might be able to score a used Technics SL1200 in the $200-300 dollar range depending on where you are at. Anything by Technics in that mid 80s era is going to be relatively cheap and of good quality. I've been working with a SL-Q350 for a number of years now. Its one of those turn tables you can pick up relatively cheap if you can find it, AND it has some pretty cool tech. It's an automatic table that optically senses the position of the record to position the stylus.

For a receiver I also recommend a Denon unit from the late 80s / early 90s. These are also dirt cheap on craigslist and usually offer a line level that can feed into your computer. (then all you need is audacity to do some pretty decent rips from clean vynil). Make sure it has phono input and read a couple of reviews online to check the sound quality. I actually ended up with a TEAC unit off of craigslist along with a Harmon/Kardon unit for <$100 combined.

For speakers I would also recommend going the used route and relying on online reviews. There are people out there that buy high end audio equipment like it is going out of style and sell it 5-10 years later REAL cheap. A $150 set of used high end book shelf speakers will sound scores better than a new pair of $150 towers.

What area are you in? If you are in the Seattle area Hawthorne Stereo on Roosevelt is the place to go. They sell a wide range of used gear from $5000 towers to $50 bookshelf speakers and are really knowledgeable about old gear.

There are also a ton of web resources out there when looking for used equipment and spending a little time and money on well researched used gear will yield a far better system than any of the new equipment you are likely to find.

signaturebighe7.jpg
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    the sherwood turntable i've got is very very good for the price - it replaced my old vintage plinth unit that ended up carking it. after i swapped the cartridge out for the old one it sounded perfect, as good as the old one.

sherwood doesn't seem to have any turntables available on amazon at least, but they have a receiver with a preamp that looks pretty good for the price, and i'm happy to vouch for the brand. you'll need one, a sound card line-in isn't going to do the job.

personally i started with a usb turntable and ditched it very quickly. the hassle of using something like audacity to actually rip the music and turn it into good-sounding individual audio files with metadata etc just isn't worth it, unless you're dealing with ultra-rare stuff. spend more on a better turntable and you won't be sorry.

that said, you might want to go for an el-cheapo unit to start off, just to see if it catches and to figure out how much you really want to invest. i did that. it served its purpose. you can get a plasticky unit with an in-built pre-amp for buckleys these days, which means you can start spending money on the real stuff - the records. it's not going to do the music the greatest justice, but at the same time you might find yourself happy with something basic to spin a few old thrift-store specials on

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Esh wrote:
    Sheep wrote:

Most needles and cartridges follow a pretty standard format. I've never had an issue finding what I need online.

My problem is that I don't have my manual, can't find a website for the maker, and the needle itself has no discernible markings to help me figure out what size I need. There are many choices.

• Options
    Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    I've owned a few Technics turntables, and have always had an easy time finding stylus replacements. I've owned a few not because they break, but because I've picked them up and cleaned them up for friends or upgraded to a different model.

bv2ylq8pac8s.png
  • Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Akilae729 wrote:
    There are people out there that buy high end audio equipment like it is going out of style and sell it 5-10 years later REAL cheap. A $150 set of used high end book shelf speakers will sound scores better than a new pair of $150 towers.

Hold on for a moment!

I'm sorry but your use of the word "high end" does seem a bit wrong. I'll go with that with a bit of luck it's possible to pick up a good set of 2nd hand speakers for $150 but they will not be high end unless you're extremely lucky. The term "High end" may no be well defined as such but it's more or less in the realm where cost is not an issue.

For some high end customers even looks are not an issue:arcadian-audio-pnoe-horn-speakers_XT3RH_48.jpg

Here is a link to a site that covers high end audio: http://www.theaudiobeat.com/

And here is a picture of one of the more outlandish turntables around:
    1250766832_27HIGH-END_2009_Munich_26.jpg

Like with most things there is such a thing as diminishing return so a speaker costing $100.000 will not be 100x better than one costing "just" $1.000 nor will it be 1000x better than a $100 speaker but there will be a remarkable difference. I'd say new high end stereo is found somewhere around what an average family car costs and it goes up from there. The rich have many pleasures.

Fortunately going DIY may make things much cheaper but that is not for all to build stuff with good results but speakers is an area that is easier than most. Should anyone be interested then here is a good place to learn more: http://www.diyaudioandvideo.com/FAQ/Speaker/

BlindZenDriver on
    Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    Audio Beat is a huge lesson in bullshit.

• Options
    Nekx wrote:
    I currently am running my speakers through my sound card and have phono lines in. Some time down the line, I'd like to get a proper setup. So, anything that most amps/recievers use would be preferable.

If you're serious about getting into record collecting and wanting a proper setup then I highly recommend spending some time on hifi websites and maybe buying a few copies of magazines like "Stereophile" and similar. It will give you and idea of what you're getting into.

Most proper turntables will need a separate amplifier to make the signal from the stylus into something that matches the signals you get from CD players and the like, such and amplifier is often called a phono-stage or a phono-amplifier. Worth noticing here is that there are two types due to the fact that there are two types of pick-ups/cartridges (Moving magnet(MM) and moving coil). Most equipment priced for mere mortals will be of the moving magnet type and if there is no specification of type then 99% will be of the MM-type.

It used to be that the phono-stage was build into virtually all stereo amplifiers/receivers but that stopped like a decade ago so look out when you go shopping.

• Options
    Sheep wrote:

Then recommend something else.

• Options
    Nekx wrote:

If you're serious about getting into record collecting and wanting a proper setup then I highly recommend spending some time on hifi websites and maybe buying a few copies of magazines like "Stereophile" and similar. It will give you and idea of what you're getting into.

Most proper turntables will need a separate amplifier to make the signal from the stylus into something that matches the signals you get from CD players and the like, such and amplifier is often called a phono-stage or a phono-amplifier. Worth noticing here is that there are two types due to the fact that there are two types of pick-ups/cartridges (Moving magnet(MM) and moving coil). Most equipment priced for mere mortals will be of the moving magnet type and if there is no specification of type then 99% will be of the MM-type.

It used to be that the phono-stage was build into virtually all stereo amplifiers/receivers but that stopped like a decade ago so look out when you go shopping.

You're recommending things way beyond where the OP wants to go at this point or ever for that matter. It's like this was a car thread and he asked about buying a Honda Civic and you're telling him all about Bugattis. Stereophile is overkill for what he wants.

OP, I'd suggest you scrape together another $200 so you can purchase a used receiver as well, something with a phono amp so you don't have to buy one separate. That should suit your needs perfectly for now. What city are you in? Maybe we can help you find some place to go?

• Options
    Sheep wrote:
    Esh wrote:
    Sheep wrote:

My problem is that I don't have my manual, can't find a website for the maker, and the needle itself has no discernible markings to help me figure out what size I need. There are many choices.

Have you tried here...

http://www.needlefinder.net/ ?

• Options
    Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
    Akilae729 wrote:
    There are people out there that buy high end audio equipment like it is going out of style and sell it 5-10 years later REAL cheap. A $150 set of used high end book shelf speakers will sound scores better than a new pair of $150 towers.

Hold on for a moment!

I'm sorry but your use of the word "high end" does seem a bit wrong. I'll go with that with a bit of luck it's possible to pick up a good set of 2nd hand speakers for $150 but they will not be high end unless you're extremely lucky. The term "High end" may no be well defined as such but it's more or less in the realm where cost is not an issue.

For some high end customers even looks are not an issue:arcadian-audio-pnoe-horn-speakers_XT3RH_48.jpg

Here is a link to a site that covers high end audio: http://www.theaudiobeat.com/

And here is a picture of one of the more outlandish turntables around:
    1250766832_27HIGH-END_2009_Munich_26.jpg

Like with most things there is such a thing as diminishing return so a speaker costing $100.000 will not be 100x better than one costing "just" $1.000 nor will it be 1000x better than a $100 speaker but there will be a remarkable difference. I'd say new high end stereo is found somewhere around what an average family car costs and it goes up from there. The rich have many pleasures.

Fortunately going DIY may make things much cheaper but that is not for all to build stuff with good results but speakers is an area that is easier than most. Should anyone be interested then here is a good place to learn more: http://www.diyaudioandvideo.com/FAQ/Speaker/

Yeah, "high end" is probably not the right word if you're looking at audiophile systems that cost as much as a car....

How about nice? Or high end for the person looking to spend <$300 on a stereo.

signaturebighe7.jpg
  • Options
    Esh wrote:
    You're recommending things way beyond where the OP wants to go at this point or ever for that matter. It's like this was a car thread and he asked about buying a Honda Civic and you're telling him all about Bugattis. Stereophile is overkill for what he wants.

I think you misunderstood my thinking and besides I'm not the one that started with the term "high end" :-)

In no way am I suggesting anyone here put together a shopping list based on what is in Stereophile, but knowing there is virtually no limit to what some people put into their stereo setup and reading a bit about the whole scene is certainly not gonna hurt when starting out.

To use the car analogy the OP did not ask about a Honda Civic he asked what he could use to transport something in a cheap and proper fashion which is a much more open question which is why I provide the background info.

• Options
    Akilae729 wrote:
    Yeah, "high end" is probably not the right word if you're looking at audiophile systems that cost as much as a car....

I don't follow. Are you saying those crazy expensive toys are not high end? Then if so what is?

• Options
    Akilae729 wrote:

I don't follow. Are you saying those crazy expensive toys are not high end? Then if so what is?

He meant that what he was speaking of was not high-end compared to the pieces and articles you were showing off.

Esh wrote:

I think you misunderstood my thinking and besides I'm not the one that started with the term "high end" :-)

In no way am I suggesting anyone here put together a shopping list based on what is in Stereophile, but knowing there is virtually no limit to what some people put into their stereo setup and reading a bit about the whole scene is certainly not gonna hurt when starting out.

To use the car analogy the OP did not ask about a Honda Civic he asked what he could use to transport something in a cheap and proper fashion which is a much more open question which is why I provide the background info.

And yes, the OP clearly stated a price limit so my analogy stands.

Do you have any real recommendations for the OP?

• Options
    Sheep wrote:

Your own ears?

Seriously. Audio Beat's a rip off. I just clicked a random article and a guy tried to sell a 2K turntable that was mostly made of aluminum on the basis that it has three legs instead of four and three legs are more stable than four so that equals better sound.

Please.

Esh wrote:
    Have you tried here...

Yup. They don't even have a listing available for my brand of stereo.

Like I mentioned. The company I bought mine from ceased to exist sometime around the late 90s. I'll double check to see if the arm or cartridge had a different manufacturer but I'm pretty sure there's nothing specific on there.

• Options
    Sheep wrote:
    Sheep wrote:

Your own ears?

Seriously. Audio Beat's a rip off. I just clicked a random article and a guy tried to sell a 2K turntable that was mostly made of aluminum on the basis that it has three legs instead of four and three legs are more stable than four so that equals better sound.

Please.

Esh wrote:
    Have you tried here...

Yup. They don't even have a listing available for my brand of stereo.

Like I mentioned. The company I bought mine from ceased to exist sometime around the late 90s. I'll double check to see if the arm or cartridge had a different manufacturer but I'm pretty sure there's nothing specific on there.

What's the brand out of curiosity? Did you try calling around to local hi-fi stores to see if they might know? Take the cartridge into them or something to look at? I really doubt it's a proprietary format.

• Options
    What's the brand out of curiosity? Did you try calling around to local hi-fi stores to see if they might know? Take the cartridge into them or something to look at? I really doubt it's a proprietary format.

The only local stereo shop I have around here is car stereo only.

Honestly, it looks like many record needles out there. I did order a replacement a while back that looked just like it but it didn't fit. Basically, that's where I'm at and I'm all "just get as many as you can just in case".

• Options
    edited August 2011
    It's a TechWood, btw.

And no, not the TechWood that comes up in Google when you Google TechWood. :P

Sheep on
  • Options
    cogellcogell Registered User regular
    I just got my stereo system all set up and whatnot. A resource I found to be extremely helpful are the forums at audiokarma.org. There are a fair amount of threads that address your very question.

Also, for $300 or less, there's a lot of options. Look on ebay/craigslist, or audiogon. A few popular brands are Dual, Technic, and Thorens.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Thanks for all the replies! A friend of mine gave me about the same advice as most of you, and also recommended me 80s Technic. Pretty sure that's what I'm going to end up grabbing since they seem to be good beginner setups and there are a ton of them on Ebay. For those wondering where I live, I live in Big Spring, TX. I do travel to Odessa and Midland fairly often though, so if you guys know any good shops around here I'd love to hear about 'em!

Nekx on