As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Plok [chat]

• Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    Irond Will wrote:
    C++ is hard

a lot of the central functionality that my code uses - things like slots/ signals and factory systems - have to be jury-rigged by the system or else third-party products that break the debugger and make it difficult to follow the code have to be used.

it's also cumbersome to code in and difficult to follow unless there are really strong coding standards. i'm not really in love with c++

It is not what I would call my favorite programming language, but on the plus side it is an order of magnitude more efficient than most of the cleaner alternatives

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I swear I got two days of stubble in one day.

I also used a new brand of blades for my last shave. Hmmm.

• Options
    Elki wrote:
    Will, are you a Ruby person?

I am, if you had a question or something

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    man, I'm glad straub got better at making comics

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    The rising sun is now forcing me to retire to my crypt.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Echo wrote:

You need yourself a faerie to suck.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Elki wrote:

i've never used ruby. i came from a procedural background - very structured, functional programming - and was pretty good at matlab. object oriented is a whole different thing and i'm having a hard time figuring out how to wrap my head around it.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote:
    Echo wrote:

You need yourself a faerie to suck.

That's such an inappropriate slur to use.

8->

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Will how do you think a Pegasus exposed to magical pony fallout would mutate?

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Elki wrote:

That's kind of personal, isn't it? Besides, he's engaged or whatever with Frankie.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Tox, I thought it worked on many levels.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    Senjutsu wrote:
    Irond Will wrote:
    C++ is hard

a lot of the central functionality that my code uses - things like slots/ signals and factory systems - have to be jury-rigged by the system or else third-party products that break the debugger and make it difficult to follow the code have to be used.

it's also cumbersome to code in and difficult to follow unless there are really strong coding standards. i'm not really in love with c++

It is not what I would call my favorite programming language, but on the plus side it is an order of magnitude more efficient than most of the cleaner alternatives

it just seems strange to me that signal/ slot has to be jerry-rigged with null-pointer functions or bizarre boost libraries if it plays such critical role in most C++ development. also i'm frustrated with factory implementation in C++.

i mean - the rationale for these kinds of patterns makes sense to me. i am just finding the level of abstraction kind of difficult and the implementation really clumsy

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
  • Options
    Oh god...has Kagera found something worse than Wizard rock?

....Possibly.

• Options
    Irond Will wrote:
    Elki wrote:

i've never used ruby. i came from a procedural background - very structured, functional programming - and was pretty good at matlab. object oriented is a whole different thing and i'm having a hard time figuring out how to wrap my head around it.

Maybe look into something like some of Alan Kay's stuff on Smalltalk's design if you really want a better grounding in solid OO (although it doesn't cleanly map into C__, which is rooted more in the quasi-OO of Simula).

Or if your functional background extends into Lisp, some material on CLOS and the meta-object protocol.

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    I hate kagera

• Options
    Kagera wrote:
    Will how do you think a Pegasus exposed to magical pony fallout would mutate?

i don't really know how to formulate a proper response to this i don't think

let me go consult my etiquette manual

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Also I am watching Spectacular Spider-Man. They did a great job with this show.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    frankie and i are spending a long weekend in newport RI. it's our annual vacation.

should be nice i hope.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Who is Kagera?

There used to be a person here that posted My Little Pony videos but I have DELETED THAT PERSON FROM MY BRAIN.

• Options
    Irond Will wrote:
    i mean - the rationale for these kinds of patterns makes sense to me. i am just finding the level of abstraction kind of difficult and the implementation really clumsy

It can really only be understood in terms of historical context, I think, because it is really clumsy, and that clumsiness stems from its historical constraints and the desire to never make a method call more expensive than a pointer dereference, which is deeply constraining.

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote:

You and Quid have both endorsed it now. I am intrigued.

• Options
    Okay I've explored the MLP broniverse enough for one week.

• Options
    also i picked up and read The Filth at the recommendation of @jacobkosh. Not really sure how I feel about it. I guess I liked it, but kind of feel like I didn't get it.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    Drez wrote:
    Who is Kagera?

There used to be a person here that posted My Little Pony videos but I have DELETED THAT PERSON FROM MY BRAIN.

How would you remember you deleted me then?

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Mazzyx wrote:

It is also VH endorsed.

Reminds me a lot of Ultimate Spider-man in some ways, other ways it stands on its own being awesome.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Kagera wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Who is Kagera?

How would you remember you deleted me then?

I SEE NOTHING BUT WHITE NOISE

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Mazzyx wrote:

It is also VH endorsed.

Reminds me a lot of Ultimate Spider-man in some ways, other ways it stands on its own being awesome.

VH endorsed it? Fuck that, never touching it.

• Options
    But he endorsed you. And you rarely disappoint. I mean there was that one time but you were stressed. It happens to all guys occasionally.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Senjutsu wrote:
    Irond Will wrote:

It can really only be understood in terms of historical context, I think, because it is really clumsy, and that clumsiness stems from its historical constraints and the desire to never make a method call more expensive than a pointer dereference, which is deeply constraining.

The abstraction is difficult for me as well. I mean, like, with the factory pattern, the object I'm going to create isn't even really explicitly defined in code.

Really, I think the big problem here is that I'm cutting my teeth on mature commercial code with the cruft of 12 years rather than a small project that i could completely wrap my head around. I'd probably understand boost signal/slots and factory patterns a lot more intuitively if they weren't tied up in enormous projects and I weren't learning 100 other things at the same time.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Senjutsu wrote:
    Elki wrote:

I am, if you had a question or something

Nothing specific; (well, not now, but any code I have questions about is on my work computer). I spend a few hours a day reading some books, and doing various exercises because it's the safer alternative to browsing the internet at work. I really like the structure of it, but I basically started doing this without doing any reading on what kind of language this was and wanted some Forum Opinions on what I'm getting myself into.

And if there are any obvious beginner resources I'm overlooking; I rely heavily on stack overflow and railcasts. And browsing github when I'm too lazy to try to solve any problems.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    exxxxxxxxxhausted.

Hi [chat]

• Options
    exxxxxxxxxhausted.

Hi [chat]

It's hard out there for a fluffer...

• Options
    Irond Will wrote:
    Senjutsu wrote:
    Irond Will wrote:

The abstraction is difficult for me as well. I mean, like, with the factory pattern, the object I'm going to create isn't even really explicitly defined in code.

Really, I think the big problem here is that I'm cutting my teeth on mature commercial code with the cruft of 12 years rather than a small project that i could completely wrap my head around. I'd probably understand boost signal/slots and factory patterns a lot more intuitively if they weren't tied up in enormous projects and I weren't learning 100 other things at the same time.

The Factory thing....

it shows up a lot in big code bases with dedicated architects that want to build something that is configurable 12 ways from Sunday with minimal changes to the source, but the typical experience is that whatever XML file or the like that's specifying the concrete subclass your Factory builds at runtime will never be altered and the whole thing is complexity for the sake of satisfying architecture astronauts.

But occasionally it's really useful. Gamma et al's Design Patterns: Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software is probably a must-read, if you haven't already.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    why does my left forearm hurt near the wrist

I'm right-handed

This discussion has been closed.