As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive - Matchmaking that actually works?

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Valve probably could have just called Source "Source 2" at some point in the last few game releases. Maybe with Source 2008 (Orange Box), or Source 2010 (L4D2). Each game they releases improves on the technology, there's no sign that they'll hit a wall there anytime soon.

There's no reason to scrap and replace the engine, though.

• Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    The only game I've at least played some every year since it came out in 1999. Twelve years. Once I was even good at it and would have that awesome 'flow' sensation when playing.

I'm pumped they're finally continuing the game. Here's hoping that all/most weapons will be viable options this time. Especially the SAW which has been fairly useless most of the time.

enc0re on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    There's a page up on Steam now.
    I saw a press release posted on the Steam forums and it says "Next Gen Console, PC, and Mac Release Targeted for Early 2012".

• Options
    Hidden Path, eh. Interesting.

• Options
    Hidden Path, eh. Interesting.

They also worked on the CS:S update from a while ago.

• Options
    NeliNeli Registered User regular
    MikeMan wrote:
    Zzulu wrote:
    I wouldn't mind dark-matter slugs for my shotgun
    Dark matter slugs? Slugs that only interact gravitationally, so that even if you were to fire them, they would pass harmlessly through your opponent, the wall behind him, and the rest of the solar system as they flew off into space?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5elgFnQMKA

Properly harnessed, dark matter becomes balls of purple death

SCIENCE

vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    I love CS and have played it for years, but the fact that it's being developed by Hidden Path makes leads me to believe this will not be a good game. Valve is focusing on TF2, which is awesome, and leaving CS to lesser hands.

camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    i would play a new counterstrike game. yes i certainly would. i wonder if theyre planning to do console versions...

• Options
    I think 360 and PS3 is confirmed
    Targeted for release via Playstation Network, Xbox Live Arcade, and Steam (for PC and Mac) in early 2012
    Would be cool if there's PC/PS3 cross platform play, like with Portal 2.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Wait, it's being made by the Defense Grid guys?

I can live with that.

• Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote:
    Targeted for release via Playstation Network, Xbox Live Arcade, and Steam (for PC and Mac) in early 2012

That would be awesome. It would open up a whole new crowd!

Oh wait that might not be awesome.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Hmm, if they got it onto XBLA I'd kind of doubt that it'll be F2P. Probably at a very low pricepoint, though... $10-15 range.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Drake wrote:
    Shogun wrote:
    I seem to be the only person that grew up on Rainbow Six and looked at Counter-strike as a shoddy mod that could never be as good.

This has always been my exact opinion on Counter Strike, even though I didn't play a ton of R6 or CS online. Although that had more to do with my shitty rural dial-up connection than anything else.
    Blah, that's a silly comparison. It's like saying Battlefield 2 is a shoddy mod of ArmA. Counterstrike is a fast paced objective focused team shooter, Rainbow 6 is a realistic tactical squad shooter. They have different goals, different strengths and weaknesses, and different groups of people that they appeal to. You can enjoy both, neither, or one or the other, but Counterstrike isn't a shoddy Rainbow 6 mod any more than Rainbow 6 is a tedious, slow-paced Counterstrike ripoff. The only similarity between the two is that they have terrorists and guns.

I guess my attitude about that comes from the days when CS players touted the game as realistic.

edit: That said, I've had some fun with CS in the past, despite being completely horrible at it. I just never really put in the time to learn the tricks of the trade.

Drake on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Hmm, if they got it onto XBLA I'd kind of doubt that it'll be F2P. Probably at a very low pricepoint, though... $10-15 range.

Microsoft were reportedly looking at ways to run F2P games.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    I think CS is funalistic. As realistic as possible but stopping just short of being annoyingly so. Of course some players like full on realism. I prefer a touch of arcady thrown in.

• Options
    RandomshotRandomshot Registered User regular
    God why would you play CS on a console. That is a sin against God and man.

• Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    Neli wrote:
    MikeMan wrote:
    Zzulu wrote:
    I wouldn't mind dark-matter slugs for my shotgun
    Dark matter slugs? Slugs that only interact gravitationally, so that even if you were to fire them, they would pass harmlessly through your opponent, the wall behind him, and the rest of the solar system as they flew off into space?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5elgFnQMKA

Properly harnessed, dark matter becomes balls of purple death

SCIENCE
    That's pretty cool.

I could get behind that (not just in a tongue-in-cheek way) if I think of it as basically a tremendous amount of dark matter crammed into a small volume. The problem with that is it would suck everything else in, including the surrounding hall, the gun, you, etc.

...Or maybe I could just shut up and accept that it's a game.

• Options
    RandomshotRandomshot Registered User regular
    enc0re wrote:
    I think CS is funalistic. As realistic as possible but stopping just short of being annoyingly so. Of course some players like full on realism. I prefer a touch of arcady thrown in.

This is how I felt coming out of R6. What actually drove me to CS in early beta was "hey this is like Rainbow Six in Halflife!" What made it better than R6, though, was that it had more of that Attitude Era feel. You could run and jump shooting people in the face then hop up on the ropes and chug two beers at once in celebration.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Counterstrike on consoles?

INCOMING INTERNET RAGE IN 3, 2....

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Icemopper wrote:
    Peewi wrote:

I'm not sure I get what you're suggesting. There's bound to be some people out there not familiar with CS that'll want to try out GO. Especially if it's free to play. I think the biggest issue would be the whole KB&M vs gamepad deal. I've heard the PS3 version of UT3 allows KB&M, so maybe Valve could do that too.

Also, I think it would be cool if Valve were to do a Wii U version when that comes out. Not because I'd play it on that, but for the potential of having players on three different platforms being able to play with each other.

• Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    What is Dust2?

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    What is Dust2?

You know, de_dust2. The CS map.

• Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote:
    What is Dust2?

You know, de_dust2. The CS map.

I've never played the game. Must be a pretty popular map if it's listed in the item description.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    It was the most popular map in the game, and considered one of the best balanced for tournament play too.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I've never played the game. Must be a pretty popular map if it's listed in the item description.

There are other maps?

• Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    Randomshot wrote:

Console sales = Money

Companies like money.

Can't say I've ever played CS, any version, anywhere. What exactly am I missing out on, here? I grew up with a progression of Doom/Quake Series/Tribes/Half-Life/TFC/UT Series, then somewhat drifted away from regularly playing FPS games online until TF2 came along.

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote:

There are other maps?

Duh. De_Dust. Geez!

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    Echo wrote:

There are other maps?

My server browser is full of servers running a map called hoejhus9 and variants, but that might just be a trend among danish servers.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Echo wrote:

There are other maps?

Well that about wraps it up for describing Counter-Strike! 8->

I'm on the Steam page now, and frankly, this very much sounds like a solution to the MW / CoD equation. From a PC dev's position, that is. I'm sure it'll have its own differing quirks but the kind of gameplay that CS is now isn't at the forefront of what sells. Still, I'm actually more likely to try this out (assuming I'm right on my guess) than MW or CoD.

• Options
    Just kidding, everyone knows that real servers only play D2, Aztec, and Italy.

• Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote:
    Icemopper wrote:
    Peewi wrote:

I'm not sure I get what you're suggesting. There's bound to be some people out there not familiar with CS that'll want to try out GO. Especially if it's free to play. I think the biggest issue would be the whole KB&M vs gamepad deal. I've heard the PS3 version of UT3 allows KB&M, so maybe Valve could do that too.

Also, I think it would be cool if Valve were to do a Wii U version when that comes out. Not because I'd play it on that, but for the potential of having players on three different platforms being able to play with each other.

I mean that opening a game up to more players is always a good thing from a business standpoint. It could bring in some folks who are die-hard CoD fans even.

It might not be awesome because some CoD fans are like some CS:S fans, and that can get a little scary.

• Options
    Dudes, a counterstrike mod created gungame. COD fans should love CS.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    citizen059 wrote:
    Randomshot wrote:

Console sales = Money

Companies like money.

Can't say I've ever played CS, any version, anywhere. What exactly am I missing out on, here? I grew up with a progression of Doom/Quake Series/Tribes/Half-Life/TFC/UT Series, then somewhat drifted away from regularly playing FPS games online until TF2 came along.

Man, how did you play TFC and miss out on CS? They were huge right around the same time...

• Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    CS_Assault will always be my favorite. Some called it a camping map. I called it a challenge.

Also, meh towards the trailer. I want in-game footage, dergnabbit.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    The real question with the consoles will be if the online portion will be mixed with the PC people. As a PC gamer I am hungry for console player headshots.

MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    a5ehren wrote:
    citizen059 wrote:
    Randomshot wrote:

Console sales = Money

Companies like money.

Man, how did you play TFC and miss out on CS? They were huge right around the same time...

I just never made time to try it out amongst all the other stuff I was playing then. Besides the FPS games of the time I was also into Asheron's Call, and my racing sims.

• Options
    I'm guessing we have to wait for PAX for more info. Either way, two new Valve games being shown off for the first time within a month of each other is pretty crazy.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Muriden wrote:
    The real question with the consoles will be if the online portion will be mixed with the PC people.

Almost certainly not. Documented experiments with this sort of thing have generally ended in miserable failure. For obvious reasons...

As a PC gamer I am hungry for console player headshots.

• Options
    CS_Assault will always be my favorite. Some called it a camping map. I called it a challenge.

Also, meh towards the trailer. I want in-game footage, dergnabbit.

CS_Militia was a camper map. No way you can win on attacking.

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    are you prepared for MAXIMUM TROLLING?
    you didn't hear it from me, but casual mode is consoles only and the regular mode is PC only
    I'm kidding, seriously

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN