As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Deleting old internet accounts?

RhinoRhino TheRhinLOLRegistered User regular
edited August 2011 in Help / Advice Forum

I've been on the internet for awhile and have accumulated tons of online accounts. I've been trying to close some of them, but seems like a huge pain in the ass.

I found this site, which is nice for popular ones. But doesn't help much for all the odd forums I'm subscribed to:
http://www.accountkiller.com/en/

My friend told me "Just change all your contract info/password and put a bunch of really offensive text/pics on the account. That's the quickest way to get it deleted ;)" He jests, but after fighting with a lot of these sites I think he might be right. Still though, I would like a more diplomatic approach.

Is there any type of formal "Delete my account and all it's information" request? I know spam laws require them to offer an easy opt out. Is there anything like that for easily nuking accounts?

93mb4.jpg
Rhino on

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    It's still the wild, wild west out here. You're pretty much on your own trying to delete things you opted into, esp. forum accounts and things of that nature.

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    I don't worry about forum accounts I don't use; they're generally just "out there," and tracking them all down can be impossible unless you always save your registration emails. If they sit unused, occasional forum mods will clean out their account log, especially for smaller forums.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    As far as forums, the only thing you can do is recheck ToS/CoC/Rules type posts and try to find out who you could talk to (Like Tube or Ramius here, for instance) that could get your account permanently locked.

I don't even think they delete accounts here, though.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    Tox wrote:
    As far as forums, the only thing you can do is recheck ToS/CoC/Rules type posts and try to find out who you could talk to (Like Tube or Ramius here, for instance) that could get your account permanently locked.

I don't even think they delete accounts here, though.

They don't. Deleting accounts causes huge database problems with most forum software, so usually the best that can be down is to ban the user or otherwise deactivate the account so nobody can log into it.