As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

In the next 15 days, I'll have been without any sort of traditional TV service for 1 year

TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in Social Entropy++
Last September, when I moved into my new place, I decided to forgo traditional TV options (cable, satellite, etc). I don't necessarily watch too much tv, but sports were what always kept me coming back to TV. Instead of traditional TV, I built myself a home theater server, and built slim-line clients which attached to every TV in my place, essentially giving every TV in the house it's own PC.

I was worried for a long time about how I'd feel stir crazy without any video contact outside of the internet (I got u-verse internet) but here I am 1 year later ready to tell you that I didn't miss a beat. I ordered a Hulu plus subscription for $7 a month, on top of a netflix subscription, and I am completely satisfied. I can stream video to every tv in the house. The big kicker was sports - I need live sports. ESPN3 was a huge factor in me going to internet-only, but I've also recently discovered I can stream ESPN1, ESPN2, ESPNU, and Buzzer Beaters thanks to my ISP. If Fox Sports followed suite, I would be completely set for all sports.

Thus far, I haven't found any major draw backs, outside of seeing the same 2 or 3 commericals for months at a time. I don't think I can ever switch back to traditional tv after experiencing this - the ability to watch anything when I want, how I want. it's very liberating. For example, with standard Hulu, I can watch like maybe the last 3 or 4 episodes of a show (I'll use Saturday Night Live as an example). With Hulu Plus, I get access to the entire run of the show - over 400 episodes, on demand, with less commercials than normal TV.

Netflix streaming and Hulu Plus have completely replaced my standard TV watching experience. I now pay a total of $65 a month for both internet, and subscriptions to Hulu and Netflix.

Anyone else gone this route, or considered going it?

TheSonicRetard on

• FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    I canceled my cable back in march and picked up streaming netflix. I rarely watch TV anyway and any of the shows I am especially interested in seeing (mostly adult swim shows) are usually streamed a week after they air.

sig2.jpg
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I've technically gone without cable for two years.

I say technically because I did get cable service last year, but only my roommate uses it.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    I'm the same, except it was 2 years at the start of this month. The first year was on account of being in Japan, this last year was on account of getting used to not having it and also my apartment isn't set up for ground-based cable so satellite would be my only option

Really the only thing I miss about TV is live sporting events, and there's probably some kind of online package I could buy for that

• FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    I haven't had cable for my entire life. My parents raised me saying that movies and videogames were better than TV, because there are no commercials. It turns out they were right! I can't stand watching TV at friend's houses. Commercials are the worst! I just use netflix at home, and I have never felt like I was missing out on anything.

You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    Nope, tv is awesome and my dvr is a life-saver

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    dont watch any tv besides breaking bad

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I just have Netflix and that seems to be fine though I think my wife wouldn't mind me getting cable. I don't really watch any shows and I rarely watch movies so I've been kind of hesitant to get it but if she still wants it in a couple of months I may go ahead and get it. I'd still rather play a video game or read a book than watch tv/movies but to each his own.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Cable's awesome

Commercials tell me what I need to buy, and at least half the time it's good shit, so I don't DVR

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I've just "upgraded" to antenna after going the past six months with nothing. Before that, at my previous apartment, I had free extended basic cable (came with the place).

If U-Verse television was more affordable, I'd sign up for that, but AT&T doesn't want to offer me any promotions, since I'm an existing customer, so I won't be giving them any more money than I already am.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    I use netflix streaming and hulu plus through my xbawx, I don't have cable.

• Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    is it worth getting hulu plus if you already have netflix?

My only real problem with services like netflix and other "over the computer" stuff is that, when I'm sitting at my computer, I don't like to be doing only one thing. Right now I'm reading/posting in this thread, and watching a couple of others, and reading some newssite, and checking out cable prices for other service providers, and playing a card game.

I can't manage to sit at my computer and do just one thing. It feels boring.

• TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Houk wrote:
    I'm the same, except it was 2 years at the start of this month. The first year was on account of being in Japan, this last year was on account of getting used to not having it and also my apartment isn't set up for ground-based cable so satellite would be my only option

Really the only thing I miss about TV is live sporting events, and there's probably some kind of online package I could buy for that

I've looked into this and live sports are sort of a commodity on the internet. Live sports are hard to find, because they're money-making channels, and cable companies are scared to death of this happening widespread. it's basically the closest you can come to buying TV ala carte. ESPN seems to be the only sports network that is progressive in this sense, they've been ahead of the curve.

Granted, there are illegal ways to stream sports, but one of the biggest sites which provided this option had their domain seized by the FBI earlier this year and, well, I'm generally weary about using such sites.

Someone else pointed out that you can stream other content, and I forgot to mention that. You can go to any major network's website and they'll have tons of streaming shows - FX, for example, streams new episodes of Wilfred like 30 minutes after they end on tv. This is really only an option if you're willing to connect a PC to your tv, as stuff like the wii, ps3, and xbox 360 can't stream from these sites.

TheSonicRetard on
    Tox wrote:
    My only real problem with services like netflix and other "over the computer" stuff is that, when I'm sitting at my computer, I don't like to be doing only one thing. Right now I'm reading/posting in this thread, and watching a couple of others, and reading some newssite, and checking out cable prices for other service providers, and playing a card game.

you don't use it on your computer, you use it on your internet ready tv or through your xbox 360.

Hulu Plus doesn't do any of the things netflix does, they're two very different services. hulu updates instantly for shows that are airing, and has little to no backlog. Netflix has huge backlogs of previously aired shows and also a robust movie selection.

Sars_Boy wrote:
    is it worth getting hulu plus if you already have netflix?

I find the services compliment each other, personally. If I can't find a show on netflix, I can usually find it on Hulu Plus, and vice versa.

I mainly use netflix as the internet equivalent of HBO (which, by the way, you can buy an online streaming version now) and Hulu as the internet equivalent of standard network tv (because it's owned by fox and NBC).

edited August 2011
    Tox wrote:

I have dedicated PCs for each tv. It's very wasteful, I know, but I'll normally watch TV on one PC, with either my tablet or laptop in my lap. At any one time, I'm really using 3 PCs at once (tablet/notebook, HTPC client, and HTPC server).
    Langly wrote:
    you don't use it on your computer, you use it on your internet ready tv or through your xbox 360.

Hulu Plus doesn't do any of the things netflix does, they're two very different services. hulu updates instantly for shows that are airing, and has little to no backlog. Netflix has huge backlogs of previously aired shows and also a robust movie selection.

Hulu Plus actually has a huge backlog. When you subscribe to Hulu plus, it basically lets you watch any episode from any season of any show they offer.

TheSonicRetard on
  • zen-zen- Registered User regular
    I have freeview at the moment which gives me everything I need (all the BBC channels and some news basically)

I might sign up for a lovefilm account at some point

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    If Hulu+ would offer Breaking Bad first-runs, I'd cut the cable cord in a heartbeat. A goddamn heartbeat.

Unfortunately, that show is my main sticking point for keeping cable around. I can deal with all the commercials in the world so long as I know that the continuing misadventures of Heisenberg would follow them.

Also at this point I'm having a hard time rating movies above TV for quality. This year, TV has pretty much trumped movies for consistent quality of comedy and drama.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote:

I have dedicated PCs for each tv. It's very wasteful, I know, but I'll normally watch TV on one PC, with either my tablet or laptop in my lap. At any one time, I'm really using 3 PCs at once (tablet/notebook, HTPC client, and HTPC server).
    Langly wrote:

Hulu Plus actually has a huge backlog. When you subscribe to Hulu plus, it basically lets you watch any episode from any season of any show they offer.

That's actually a pretty cool setup, TSR

JtgVX0H.png
    So all I have to do to use that free service is buy a new, internet-ready TV, or buy a computer to hook up to it?

God I hate being poor.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Don't watch TV at all.

I own one and get free cable, don't even bother turning it on.

• DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Haha, I was expecting something more like THIS when I opened the thread

But you have a pretty sounding set-up, TSR! I agree, cable's going to price themselves out of the market as more people realize the exact same services are available online except they are more convenient and a better price

If Hulu+ would offer Breaking Bad first-runs, I'd cut the cable cord in a heartbeat. A goddamn heartbeat.

Unfortunately, that show is my main sticking point for keeping cable around. I can deal with all the commercials in the world so long as I know that the continuing misadventures of Heisenberg would follow them.

Also at this point I'm having a hard time rating movies above TV for quality. This year, TV has pretty much trumped movies for consistent quality of comedy and drama.

Are you sure you can't stream Breaking Bad from AMC's website?

I prefer to watch my shows one season at a time in one sitting.

Tox do you seriously not have a 360 or ps3.

Also: I have Hulu Plus, but things like The Daily Show only has one season? I mean, not that I have been actively looking, but it seems like some shows still only have the current season available.

• dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    I've been without cable service for four years. I've saved so much money from it. Get everything worthwhile from Netflix.

Good job @TheSonicRetard

• FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    I watch Netflix on my Wii. I feel like most people own at least one of those if they don't own a PS3 or 360.

You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Meh, tell me when you can stream Filipino channel stuff and I might have a chance of ditching cable. Replace that with whatever nationality for other people.

edit- two seconds on google and oh, they are streaming the filipino channel.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    where's that onion article

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Wait your ISP has ESPN and ESPN2? What magical ISP is this?

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    Didgeridoo wrote:
    Haha, I was expecting something more like THIS when I opened the thread

But you have a pretty sounding set-up, TSR! I agree, cable's going to price themselves out of the market as more people realize the exact same services are available online except they are more convenient and a better price

Thanks, I've actually been working on a house-wide HTPC set up since about 2003. It's pretty cool to go from room to room and have your entire media library at your fingertips. I even have my server set to broadcast online, so when I'm out and about, if I need to, i can stream it to my phone or tablet. I rarely do this, mainly if I'm flying and stuck at an airport for a while, but it's a nice option to have.

• DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    I haven't watched TV in six or seven years

so I win

0BnD8l3.gif
    Squall wrote:

ahahahahhahahahha

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    I use to the TV monitor in my room to play stuff from the internet

haven't watched "traditional" TV for more than a year now

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote:
    I haven't watched TV in six or seven years

so I win

woo h5

• MereHappenstanceMereHappenstance Registered User regular
    Rolo wrote:
    Don't watch TV at all.

I own one and get free cable, don't even bother turning it on.

This. My previous set up was some extended cable with internet for $85 a month. Only reason I had that was because my room mate wanted it. As of now, I'm only using internet.

Some people think I'm insane for not watching tv. I just want my entertainment to be more interactive.

• FugaFuga Registered User regular
    tell us about your apple products

• Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    fuck people who "don't watch tv"

what does that mean? do you just physically not look at televisions?

because downloading shows and watching them still counts as watching tv, hoss.

Everyone who is talking about "not watching tv" is missing the entire point of this topic.

Langly wrote:
    Tox do you seriously not have a 360 or ps3.

Seriously? The last time I owned a game system was in 2004, and it was a PSOne (the slim, after the PS2 had come out).

Matter of fact, not counting the Nintendo the family got for Christmas back in 87 or so, that's the only gaming system I have ever owned.

Not a big console gamer.

That said, I found a used electronics store local that sells used game consoles. Still, the 360 and PS3 are still pretty ridiculously expensive.