Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Moving Windows Libraries To External Drive

undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User
Now, I just got a fancy new laptop with a relatively small SSD in it, which I don't want to fill up too quickly. In the past I have attempted to move the library folders, My Documents, My Music, what have you, and wasn't too successful. Does anyone have a good method to moving these folders over to my external drive such that programs won't freak out and use them as normal? Hopefully it isn't a crazy process.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat

• kleinfehnkleinfehn Registered User
    What seems to be the problem when you try and move them over?

• ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    Would being able to change the save location help?

Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    You can move the entire Users directory if you'd like, but it has to be done at Windows install time.

This is what I did with my SSD. I had the entire Users directory moved to the D drive at install time. It requires using a feature called "audit mode" while installing Windows. You also need the technical aptitude to edit an XML file.

It was worth it though. I don't even have to think about where I save files, where my music is, or where downloads go. It all naturally points to the D driver and I don't even think about it anymore. My SSD is at a very stable 50% usage and not going up, which was the goal. Because it's the entire Users directory, my wife's account is the same way. Naturally on my large spindle drive instead of my SSD.

e: Also, even once you've gotten the moved, you'll need to use NTFS junctions (symlinks basically) to route C:\Users\* to D:\Users\*, because some software is really dumb and just assumes things are on the C driver.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, D3: Brainling#1998, NintendoID: Brainling