Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Help me sell my old Magic: The Gathering Cards?

FoodFood Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey so I've been cleaning out my room and I came across my old magic the gathering cards. My first thought was 'maybe there's someone out there who would appreciate these and to whom I can make a generous gift' but then I regained my senses and thought 'how can I make some cash off these babies?'

I actually went through the trouble of making a list of all my cards (lots of free time this summer) so those will be in the next posts if anyone cares to look. (Beware of ridiculous length)

It looks like I can make about 50 big ones selling cards to Star City Games, but they will only buy a fraction of them. Should I sell them in lots on e-bay? Mix in some of my better cards with the lots instead of selling them to Star City? Does anyone have experience buying/selling these things? Just looking for general tips/advice. Thanks in advance!

Food on

• FoodFood Registered User regular
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    If you're still into gaming of any sort, you might get more that SCG is offering in store credit from a local game shop, depending on the quality of the cards and their stock/local demand.

I only glanced at the top of your list (that is to say, the oldest stuff), but nothing really caught my eye. If you price them out on a site you should at least have a baseline on what they're going for, then maybe put the choice stuff up individually on Ebay? Obviously you don't want to list everything there, but otherwise it might be worth just listing the lot on Craigslist for $50 or whatever you feel is fair and save yourself the trouble of shipping them out and waiting for a reply/the cash.

sigthree.png
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    a lot of my friends are pretty into magic, i'll show them this list and they might be interested in buying it from you via ebay or some such business

otherwise either go to your local hobby store and talk to the dude who handles magic cards or sell them in bulk online for a flat sum if you just want some quick cash

reposig.jpg
    Hey thanks, Fandyien! I heard a overheard neighborhood kid talking about magic today so if I see him again I might be a (slightly) good citizen and just hand over the ones that SCG won't buy to him, if I can do it without seeming like a pedophile.

• Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User
    edited August 2011
    I loved buying giant lots of random ass old cards on eBay when I was younger. Giving a kid a pile of ultimately worthless cards would be an awesome thing. I would consider speaking to a parent first, though.

Skoal Cat on
    ceres wrote: »
    Skoal Cat is correct.
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Jesus christ these are old cards.

The elvish champion is the only one that jumped out at me. She's worth around $5 I think. I don't really see anything else of value there, but I'm probably wrong.

Would you mind putting together a third list of only the rare quality cards and nonbasic lands?

• EncEnc FloridaRegistered User regular
    http://www.coolstuffinc.com/buyList_main.php

That's the Buy List for Cool Stuff Inc, which will give you a good idea of demand for your cards, and you can check their value as a seller by seeing what they are selling them for. You can probably get more individually by selling on ebay, or if you want to just block sell I've worked with Cool Stuff to buy and sell over the last seven years and haven't been largely screwed over. You can always get more selling on ebay, but it takes longer and you may never get a bite. So it's a trade off.

Guns make you stupid. Better to fight your wars with duct tape. Duct tape makes you smart.
    3ds Friend Code: 5043-2266-3066
    edited August 2011
    Would you mind putting together a third list of only the rare quality cards and nonbasic lands?

I don't know enough about magic cards to say which are rare, but here is the list of everything I have that Star City will buy:

1 Birds of Paradise 6th Edition $0.50
    1 Serra’s Blessing 6th Edition $0.25
    1 Wrath of God 6th Edition $1.00
    1 Forbid Exodus $0.10
    1 Merchant Scroll Homelands $0.25
    1 Elvish Champion Invasion $2.00
    1 Sterling Grove Ivasion $3.00
    1 Tangle Invasion $0.25
    2 Undermine Invasion $2.00 each
    2 Brainstorm Mercadian Masques $0.50 each
    3 Invigorate Mercadian Masques $0.10 each
    1 Rishadan Port Mercadian Masques $25.00
    2 Soothsaying Mercadian Masques $0.10 each
    2 Daze Nemesis $1.00 each
    1 Submerge Nemesis $1.00
    1 Avatar of Woe Prophecy $2.00
    1 Nature’s Cloak Starter 1999 $0.25
    1 Diabolic Edict Tempest $0.25
    1 Horned Sliver Tempest $0.25
    1 Talon Sliver Tempest $0.25
    1 Tormod’s Crypt The Dark $2.00
    1 Mangara of Corondor Time Spiral $0.25
    1 Cardboard Carapace Unglued $0.25
    1 Sheep Token Unglued $0.10
    1 Jack-In-The-Mox Unglued $0.25
    1 Zombie Token Unglued $0.10 Each
    1 Repercussion Urza’s Destiny $1.00
    1 Thran Dynamo Urza’s Destiny $1.00
    1 Crop Rotation Urza’s Legacy $0.10
    1 Engineered Plague Urza’s Legacy $0.50
    1 Bone Shredder FOIL Urza’s Legacy $2.00
    2 Dark Ritual Urza’s Saga $0.10 each
    1 Gilded Drake Urza’s Saga $5.00
    1 Ill-Gotten Gains Urza’s Saga $1.00
    1 Pariah Urza’s Saga $0.25
    1 Victimize Urza’s Saga $0.10

Plus six unglued lands that I forgot to list.

Those prices assume near mint condition, which most of my cards aren't.

Food on
    The rare cards are the ones with gold symbols at the bottom right corner of the artwork.

If the symbol is black, it's common. Silver is uncommon.

Ah, ok. A lot of my cards are from before they would do that, but I'll put together another list when I have time.

• EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    The rare cards are the ones with gold symbols at the bottom right corner of the artwork.

If the symbol is black, it's common. Silver is uncommon.

Most of the cards are older than when Magic moved to showing rarity on the card symbol.

• EncEnc FloridaRegistered User regular
    Enc wrote:
    http://www.coolstuffinc.com/buyList_main.php

That's the Buy List for Cool Stuff Inc, which will give you a good idea of demand for your cards, and you can check their value as a seller by seeing what they are selling them for. You can probably get more individually by selling on ebay, or if you want to just block sell I've worked with Cool Stuff to buy and sell over the last seven years and haven't been largely screwed over. You can always get more selling on ebay, but it takes longer and you may never get a bite. So it's a trade off.

See, this is what happens. I link the page, see a special on a card for my one remaining deck, and then end up dropping $40. Magic is my nemesis.

Guns make you stupid. Better to fight your wars with duct tape. Duct tape makes you smart.
    3ds Friend Code: 5043-2266-3066
  • EggyToastEggyToast Registered User regular
    When I sold the moxes and other Beta cards that I had, I did it primarily via ebay. This was for cards that were valued at $5 and up. For the rest, I just did it in a big chunk on Craigslist, and it worked great; had a kid come by with his dad, they looked through the boxes, and said "yeah for the price this is great, thanks, he just plays for fun"

Since they're offering to take a lot of cards that are valued at under a dollar, it's probably worthwhile to send them off. However, if they're not mint (or if they are actually rather dinged up), you probably just want to pop them on Craigslist and sell them for, say, a hundo. See what happens. You don't have anything of amazing value in there, so you're not really looking to take a big hit if you only get $50-100 for the lot.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • KetarKetar Duke of Weaseltown Like an agile peacock!Registered User regular
    For revised/unlimited dual lands, would eBay be the best option? I've got 28 assorted that I've been meaning to sell, in varying conditions.

• Temporal ParadoxTemporal Paradox Registered User regular
    I sold 7 duals like the day after StarCityGames upped the price on them. They ended up being $360. Made $450 between them and some other valuable cards.
    You should probably compare their buy prices with what they are selling for on ebay though tbh.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Ketar wrote:
    For revised/unlimited dual lands, would eBay be the best option? I've got 28 assorted that I've been meaning to sell, in varying conditions.

If you do end up selling, I'd recommend giving the Magic thread a heads up, perhaps after checking with one of the mods of course. Nothing spammy, just a note that it's happening, as I know a lot of dedicated players post in there, and some of them (and I) would probably be interested.

There was one poster who was going to sell a pile of his cards to Starcitygames, and offered up his list to us, which we then devoured at those rates. Not saying you'd do the same, just noting that it's happened before, and things seemed to work out pretty well.

sigthree.png
  • StrifeRaZoRStrifeRaZoR Registered User regular
    I did this exact same thing a few weeks ago. I gave all my old cards away to a friend when I moved to TX. Now that I'm back home, he gave them all back. Same box, in the same order that I left them, and in great condition. I started playing around Ice Age and Antiquities, so most of my cards were really old. I dropped 10 bucks on two binders and started filling them up with unique cards, keeping my repeats in the box. After buying some current block booster boxes and getting back into standard tournaments, I was really taking a hit to the wallet and started looking for ways to get cash for my old cards. I got really lucky. During a standard tournament, someone asked me if I had any cards for trade, so I pulled out my binders with the old cards. He was fascinated. Turns out there's a game type called EDH that puts those old cards to good use. I came back to the shop on the day that the EDH tournament was and made a very nice chunk of change from selling them to the players individually.

Maybe you could give that a shot.

StrifeRaZoR.png