As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo III] Officially coming in early 2012. Beta now live.

• Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I don't even really understand why people consider Diablo 2 to be such a dark game, it really wasn't. I think part of the reason is the graphical abilities back then left most things in the world looking like smudged shit.

Go look at some screenshots of Diablo 2, lots of color. Diablo 1 was a darker game but thats because the levels consisted of a dark cave, an even darker cave and then an even darker cave with flames.

• Options
    Hunter_KillersHunter_Killers Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    It's not exactly hard to see that theres multiple skin colors/faces, the glare isn't any different across the entire image. I don't care if they decide to actually use colors but all of the gear goes from nice looking to gaudy plate pimp armor.

EDIT: It doesn't have to look like anything in WoW to be following the same general design scheme either.

EDIT2: This website also doesn't have the gamma/brightness cranked up http://diablo2.ingame.de/tips/Modenschau/index.php

EDIT3: Here's more for fun. What the games actually looked like without pants on head video settings.
    IVg1a.jpg
    GxwmP.jpg

Hunter_Killers on
    4efe575fea51ec35.png
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote:
    For some reason, I can't take fashion critiques from a videogame subforum seriously.

You leave me and my Rogues Do It From Behind shirt out of this, sir! I'll have you know that the fetching Mass Effect N7 shirt I wore in today is the crown jewel of gaming fashion!

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    KalTorak wrote:
    Just add an option to turn on blood/dirt/ash splatters like in the new MK. You start out each game clean, then get progressively grimier as you murder things.

Or turn it off and get a better framerate.

I sort of love this idea.

Pure gleaming armor at first when you leave town, then you TP back to town after killing monsters all splattered in gore and monster parts?
    fuck yes
    and there's like soot marks and ash all over if you used fire or lightning, maybe a thin layer of frost or condensation on your metal armor/gauntlets if you used ice. dripping poison kills the grass under your feet when you're idle.

valiance on
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    All the tone debates remind me of the focus group for Itchy & Scratchy in that Simpsons episode.

"So, you want a realistic, down-to-earth show... that's completely off-the-wall and swarming with magic robots?"

• Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Ceno wrote:
    All the tone debates remind me of the focus group for Itchy & Scratchy in that Simpsons episode.

"So, you want a realistic, down-to-earth show... that's completely off-the-wall and swarming with magic robots?"

"So you want the sequel to diablo 2 to be like diablo 2? Well thats just stupid."

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    Fizban140 wrote:
    I don't even really understand why people consider Diablo 2 to be such a dark game, it really wasn't. I think part of the reason is the graphical abilities back then left most things in the world looking like smudged shit.

Go look at some screenshots of Diablo 2, lots of color. Diablo 1 was a darker game but thats because the levels consisted of a dark cave, an even darker cave and then an even darker cave with flames.

This. There's constantly all kinds of fire and lightning and purple stuff and white globs and green globs being thrown around. Plus all the wackily colored gear, monsters/players turning blue when slowed/frozen. Definitely not as atmospheric as the first game, but the wild colors served a purpose as a useful visual indicator. D2 was not at all that dark.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Lilnoobs wrote:
    For some reason, I can't take fashion critiques from a videogame subforum seriously.

And through your apathy, Activlizzard will steal our moneys while making horrible games.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Like I try hard to understand why people don't like certain clothes or set pieces in game, but then I see those same people wearing New Balance sneakers with khaki shorts. How can I reconcile this cognitive dissonance?

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    That picture with the three tiers on the last page for Wizard, Demon Hunter and Monk.

The Monk Tier 3 is just rediculous. Do not like it. Sort of the same color scheme as the original Sorceror, but the design turns me off.

The Demon Hunter goes from looking cool as shit, to covering up their cool as shit look.

The Wizard gets better as they go up in tier in my opinion. The Helm on Tier 3 could use a little trimming, but the armor I feel fits the personality of the Wizard.

Glad I decided to play a Wizard first so many years ago.

• Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    I have absolute faith in Blizzard's art department to produce cool looking armor.
    judgement.jpg
    Early, fuzzy screencaps of armor doesn't interest me as much as a hi-res concept art would.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    I kinda like the tier 3 monk in a super awesome hindu god of death way

Im just not feeling the demon hunters looks beyond the first though

• Options
    They made the Judgement armor many many many many years ago, and they just released the transmogrify thing. The first pictures they show? People changing the fucking ugly armor released lately into that armor because none have looked nearly as good as that.

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    The beta cannot come soon enough. I'm sick to death of people debating over things like the color palettes. That was so 2008. (Yes, I looked it up. It was that long ago.)

• Options
    musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    El Guaco wrote:
    The beta cannot come soon enough. I'm sick to death of people debating over things like the color palettes. That was so 2008. (Yes, I looked it up. It was that long ago.)

Agreed. Debates over color palettes and general "not being diablo enough" conversation makes me wait to read this thread so I can skip to find actual info instead of dumb nerd complaints from people who will be buying the game day 1.

sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    My hope is that Inferno difficulty will be as much a test of skill as it is of gear. Because Diablo 2... well, it didn't exactly go that way with it, Hardcore notwithstanding.

• Options
    El Guaco wrote:

Good thing it wasn't about color palettes. The first post about not liking the armor was relating to design of it. Diablo in general was always more down to earth designs than WoW.

4efe575fea51ec35.png
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Diablo described as "down to earth"? Oh internet.

• Options
    ZarathustraEckZarathustraEck Ubermensch now with stripes!Registered User regular
    Evil Dave wrote:
    Diablo II: The Hipsterdark

I'm with the crowd withholding judgment until I play the game.
    Jephery wrote:
    You can change an item's model to any other item's that you have.

Holy shit this is makes me think about resubbing.

My Druid would be forever wearing Cenarion shoulder lookalikes.

See you in Town,
    -Z
  • Options
    Lilnoobs wrote:
    Diablo described as "down to earth"? Oh internet.

In the context of armor designs. Do you read anything before you post?

4efe575fea51ec35.png
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    The down to earth comment was literally a quote from a Simpsons episode that was a response to all the kids wanting every idea ever implemented into Itchy & Scratchy. It was a joke that somehow mutated into this discussion.

• Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    You make me feel old Disruptor; I clearly remember PCX :(.

Well, it might be something I've just forgot about, due to Alzheimer, or whatever old folks get. I've made Diablo screenshots before, after all.

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    Who is arguing about colours? Honestly, it's like people don't read posts. The majority don't like the designs.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Color is often key to the way design is received. It's not so easy to disentangle them like that. I would wager fewer people would take issue with, for example, the high tier female monk armor if it was shown with more naturalistic materials (brown leather and trim, steely gray metal) instead of a high-saturation bright red dye and bright silver.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Is it just me, or is naming a difficulty after a buffalo wing spiciness a bad thing?

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Now I want to make a sports bar with Normal, Nightmare, Hell, and Inferno difficulty wings. Try them on hardcore mode without any beverages!

• Options
    VicktorVicktor Infidel Castro Rancho ChupacabraRegistered User regular
    Roe wrote:
    Is it just me, or is naming a difficulty after a buffalo wing spiciness a bad thing?
    If the Spicy Garlic difficulty from Diablo 2 doesn't make it into Diablo 3, I'm boycotting Hooters Blizzard!

Seriously though, if you're buffalo wings come labeled 'Nightmare' and 'Hell' you may want stop going to sports bars with Faust.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Viycktor
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Roe wrote:

I think you're a little too into buffalo wings if upon hearing "Inferno" your first thought goes to them. Just saying. :P

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote:
    Now I want to make a sports bar with Normal, Nightmare, Hell, and Inferno difficulty wings. Try them on hardcore mode without any beverages!

Name it "Succubus" and go for the direct competition with Hooters. Succubi have tits AND wings! Game, set, and match!

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    CorriganX wrote:
    Ceno wrote:

"So you want the sequel to diablo 2 to be like diablo 2? Well thats just stupid."

its already like diablo 2

what's stupid is people who just want it to be diablo 2

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote:
    ChaosHat wrote:

Name it "Succubus" and go for the direct competition with Hooters. Succubi have tits AND wings! Game, set, and match!

this should be a thing

sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote:
    ChaosHat wrote:

That's an amazing idea. We need to go into business together.

• Options
    ChaosHat wrote:
    KalTorak wrote:
    ChaosHat wrote:

Oh sure, and now I bet you'll start charging real money for your wings too. THIS IS FUCKING BULLSHIT.

n1woEHJ.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    CorriganX wrote:
    ChaosHat wrote:
    KalTorak wrote:
    ChaosHat wrote:

Oh sure, and now I bet you'll start charging real money for your wings too. THIS IS FUCKING BULLSHIT.

We accept several forms of payment

$.50/wing

625,000,000 gold/.25 wing

40 SOJs/wing

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Fuck these colorful and tasty wings. I'm going back to hooters where they're dark and gritty.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Streltsy wrote:
    harvest wrote:
    So what's the problem again? Armor gets fancy as it gets more powerful? Not grimdark enough? This shit might be tame compared to the rest of the world and enemies/NPCs. It's certainly got nothing on WoW.

Mmmm, how I love them strawmans. Of course I was expecting this, what, with that guy linking the PA comic last page.
    I also like how nothing is ever allowed to have a dark atmosphere anymore without being labelled "grimdark". Diablo came out before Gears of War and all those shit games, it came out before "grimdark" was even a thing.

Grimdark started in 1987

Just FYI

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    CorriganX wrote:
    Ceno wrote:

Then just play Diablo 2

Why is this difficult

• Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Streltsy wrote:
    harvest wrote:
    So what's the problem again? Armor gets fancy as it gets more powerful? Not grimdark enough? This shit might be tame compared to the rest of the world and enemies/NPCs. It's certainly got nothing on WoW.

Mmmm, how I love them strawmans. Of course I was expecting this, what, with that guy linking the PA comic last page.
    I also like how nothing is ever allowed to have a dark atmosphere anymore without being labelled "grimdark". Diablo came out before Gears of War and all those shit games, it came out before "grimdark" was even a thing.

Grimdark started in 1987

Just FYI

I don't really need to follow your link to know what you are talking about. I have Rogue Trader, its actually quite silly and far more blatant parody than later releases. 2nd edition is the opposite of dark, though its moderately grim.

I like the approach though.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    I think people clamoring for less
    Fizban140 wrote:

Diablo 1/2's characters and monsters have always been colorful and cartoonish. Some people seem to be confusing the more serious atmosphere and story/VA tone of Diablo 1/2 with the art direction.

That some of the outfits tended to be conservative and a bit simplistic as compared to some of the D3 sets can likely be attributed as much to technological limitations (and the time costs those limitations imposed) of Diablo 1/2 as art direction. To be honest if Diablo 3 was filled with 18 different types of bland leather/mail/plate combinations I'd probably be pretty pissed.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Excited for inferno.

...and beta of course.

This discussion has been closed.