As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video Game Industry Thread: This is the old one, go to the new one

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote:
    Did the PSP Monster Hunter games even have online multiplayer?

Not without an external apliation (AdHoc Party on PS3 or X-Link Kai on PC). They're AdHoc multiplayer games.
    Tri (Wii) and Frontier (360) are the only two online ones.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2011
    Does how they get online matter?

Hell, with the Wii's lack of online infrastructure, getting DQX online might be a similar experience. As far as I see it, if it was an MMORPG, they'd have said so. They didn't, so I wouldn't assume otherwise nor that the most popular series in Japan is going to bomb by following an extremely profitable trend.

Sheep on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Does how they get online matter?
    It does when the options to go online aren't portable despite a large part of the success of the game on the PSP was portability. Also, do you really think most users are going to bother going through that shit to play online? Having to use an external program to play a game online isn't something most players are going to bother with.

Couscous on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Didn't seem to stop the several million PSP owners from picking up the MH games and playing them online.

• Options
    Sheep wrote:
    Didn't seem to stop the several million PSP owners from picking up the MH games and playing them online.
    Is there any evidence most of them are played online?

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote:
    Sheep wrote:
    Is there any evidence most of them are played online?
    The millions of Monster Hunter players out there live in Japan, and I'm pretty sure they've been playing it in local Ad-Hoc. But Ad-Hoc Party and X-Link Kai (the two main methods of tunneling online for PSP play) are pretty popular. If you log into Ad-Hoc Party right now, even on the US side (where we don't have Monster Hunter pillows and candy), you'll find several dozen Ad-Hoc Party rooms just for Monster Hunter.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    If this game is as MMO as it's sounding, they won't be using Nintendo's infrastructure anyway.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    agoaj wrote:
    If this game is as MMO as it's sounding, they won't be using Nintendo's infrastructure anyway.
    Nintendo's online infrastructure is an oxymoron.

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidewalt/2011/07/05/nintendo-reggie-fils-aime-wii-u/
    Nintendo is "creating a much more flexible system," Fils-Aime said, "that will allow the best approaches by independent publishers to come to bear. So instead of a situation where a publisher has their own network and wants that to be the predominant platform, and having arguments with platform holders, we're going to welcome that. We're going to welcome that from the best and the brightest of the third party publishers."

i.e. Nintendo doesn't have an online infrastructure.

• Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidewalt/2011/07/05/nintendo-reggie-fils-aime-wii-u/
    Nintendo is "creating a much more flexible system," Fils-Aime said, "that will allow the best approaches by independent publishers to come to bear. So instead of a situation where a publisher has their own network and wants that to be the predominant platform, and having arguments with platform holders, we're going to welcome that. We're going to welcome that from the best and the brightest of the third party publishers."

Does that mean Sony doesn't either because that describes what Sony did with Steam to a T.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Rakai wrote:

Does that mean Sony doesn't either because that describes what Sony did with Steam to a T.

It means SONY gave Valve what they wanted. In this case, Nintendo isn't even going to bother if publishers have their own setup.

As in, it's now in every publisher's best interest to create their own online plan because Nintendo doesn't give a shit.

• Options
    Rakai wrote:

It means SONY gave Valve what they wanted. In this case, Nintendo isn't even going to bother if publishers have their own setup.

As in, it's now in every publisher's best interest to create their own online plan because Nintendo doesn't give a shit.

Sony let an independent publisher use their own network. That's what the quote describes. It says jack shit about what Nintendo is doing themselves.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Doesn't give a shit to interfere? Or doesn't give a shit to develop a platform everyone will want to use?

Honestly I agree with both sentiments.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I hope the Crytek abuse thing really is bullshit, because it seems like every time I turn around another company that I like in the industry turns out to treat their employees like shit and it's kinda getting old.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Rakai wrote:
    Rakai wrote:

Sony let an independent publisher use their own network. That's what the quote describes. It says jack shit about what Nintendo is doing themselves.
    So instead of a situation where a publisher has their own network and wants that to be the predominant platform, and having arguments with platform holders, we're going to welcome that.

As awkward as this line is, it is saying that Nintendo is going to allow publishers to use their own thing rather than force them to comply with standards they don't have anyway.

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Bioptic wrote:
    Maddoc wrote:
    plufim wrote:
    Holy crap that is a huge fraction buying in store. You would think they'd take that as a sign to do something, but I guess not!

They took from it that outside retail outlets are still really important, when the message they should have been taking from it is "interacting with MS's billing process is less pleasant than eating broken glass"

EDIT: Ok yeah the article Echo posted is what I'm referring to

Also, at least in the UK, it's always always cheaper to buy cards (which are subject to retailer discounts and coupons and the like) than it is to purchase points directly. Some sites like ShopTo will even email you the code on the card directly rather than post it, so it's not even less convenient.

Its the same in the US, there's no reason to slap a CC on your Live account because it's virtually impossible for them to remove it and/or not charge you for something you don't want. I had to claim my card was stolen and have a new one issued by my bank years ago just to get the damn auto-renew to stop and this was after a dozen calls to Pratesh and Samir at their support line.

A year sub and MS Points are always on sale at Amazon for less then they are on the service itself and they email you the code within minutes. I think I paid 35 bucks a year at the most for a year subsctiption and always buy the "4000 MS Points for 39.99" deal they have going all the time.

• Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    I hope the Crytek abuse thing really is bullshit, because it seems like every time I turn around another company that I like in the industry turns out to treat their employees like shit and it's kinda getting old.

Well, I'd say the majority of working relationships in business tend to be at least a little bit abusive. Only question is whether it's them getting their money's worth or whether it's too much.

Jobs aren't supposed to be candyland, despite what a union will tell you.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I can't see that as anything but Nintendo trying to spin their absolute lack of any online infrastructure as allowing more freedom for publishers.

Which, while true in the absolute most technical sense, still means that all they're doing is not actively impeding publishers. I haven't seen anything that makes me believe they're planning on making things actually easier for them.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote:
    I can't see that as anything but Nintendo trying to spin their absolute lack of any online infrastructure as allowing more freedom for publishers.

Which, while true in the absolute most technical sense, still means that all they're doing is not actively impeding publishers. I haven't seen anything that makes me believe they're planning on making things actually easier for them.

Yeah, even if it is spin, they aren't pulling a Microsoft by having people use the Live servers by force. So it's bad, but it's good.

• Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    Maddoc wrote:

Yeah, even if it is spin, they aren't pulling a Microsoft by having people use the Live servers by force. So it's bad, but it's good.

There's a whole lot to be said for "We aren't going to give you any bullshit to put up with." Even when that means they aren't going to give them anything.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    Maddoc wrote:

EA sports head said this:
    "We are highlighting to them what we believe are the most important elements to that infrastructure to deliver a connected experience that we think is the future of gaming," Wilson explained. "They have demonstrated an openness and willingness to work with us and work with developers that I think will only land us in a positive place. We're working through the development with them now. We have a series of people who are under very strict NDAs as you can imagine, operating with them, building that system out."

and Peter Moore:
    It’s critically important to us and we are relieved, if anything else, that they have made a huge commitment that they have presented to us… Online certainly was not a factor with the Wii, as you know; although they had capabilities, it just wasn’t there at the level that both Xbox Live and PlayStation had,” he said. “But I think Nintendo totally gets that multi-player, building community, co-op play, having the ability to bring games that are deeper – all of these things are now very important.

• Options
    Henroid wrote:
    Maddoc wrote:

And yet with the LIVE stuff, no game is ever unplayable online no matter how old it is. Except for EA, of course, who had enough leverage to force MS to let them do their own thing and thus are able to shut down online service whenever they want.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Astale wrote:

Well, I'd say the majority of working relationships in business tend to be at least a little bit abusive. Only question is whether it's them getting their money's worth or whether it's too much.

This is true, but there is a difference between "We had two months of crunch, than a short break, than we started on the next game" and "we had four months of 70 hour workweeks, I got fired as soon as the game went gold, and now I have to take the company to court because they didn't pay me overtime".

• Options
    Henroid wrote:
    Maddoc wrote:

And yet with the LIVE stuff, no game is ever unplayable online no matter how old it is. Except for EA, of course, who had enough leverage to force MS to let them do their own thing and thus are able to shut down online service whenever they want.

I wasn't taking a dig at Live for the record. I know a lot of people are unhappy with it for varying reasons.

For me, a perfect world would be the console makers providing a platform for companies who can't provide their own (like what MS does for indie developers), but allowing companies that are able to build their own platform to use that instead. Our current situation, as a whole, is merely a stepping stone. EA will have its Origin thing, Activision will have its own thing, but smaller devs or indie teams can still use the services offered by the console makers.

• Options
    Astale wrote:

This is true, but there is a difference between "We had two months of crunch, than a short break, than we started on the next game" and "we had four months of 70 hour workweeks, I got fired as soon as the game went gold, and now I have to take the company to court because they didn't pay me overtime".

I can't remember any incident where a staff / employees of a game company that was complaining about abuse was merely collectively lazy and wanted to collect paychecks without working for a living. So what I'm saying is, if abuse is called in this industry, it tends to be legit. Which saddens me.

• Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    For me, a perfect world would be the console makers providing a platform for companies who can't provide their own (like what MS does for indie developers), but allowing companies that are able to build their own platform to use that instead. Our current situation, as a whole, is merely a stepping stone. EA will have its Origin thing, Activision will have its own thing, but smaller devs or indie teams can still use the services offered by the console makers.
    And for me, that is the antithesis of a perfect world. I want to put up with a single company's bullshit, not eight company's various different flavors of bullshit. Well, I'd rather not put up with any company's bullshit, but between those two options, a single company is preferable.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I can appreciate a centralized, standard online system that Live uses.

On the other hand, I don't see anything inherently bad about Nintendo saying "Here are the tools, you can make whatever online function for your game you want".

That said though, Law No.1: Developers are lazy, is sure to go into full effect. They'll look at Nintendo and go "But I don't wanna..."

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Henroid wrote:
    And for me, that is the antithesis of a perfect world. I want to put up with a single company's bullshit, not eight company's various different flavors of bullshit. Well, I'd rather not put up with any company's bullshit, but between those two options, a single company is preferable.

So basically you're a communist.

I can see the value of a single, consolidated service, but it doesn't inspire growth or change in functions / policies that diminish it.

• Options
    Or worse, use Gamespy.

• Options
    Couscous wrote:
    Or worse, use Gamespy.

hahahahahahaha

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Where is the Steam console?

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    Monster Hunter Tri online was pretty good and that was taken care of by Capcom. I'm sure DQX will do ok as well.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    Finally a Square-Enix game that will actually make money :D

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    I didn't realize this before, but DQ IX actually sold worse than DQVIII in the west.

• Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    CygnusZ wrote:
    I didn't realize this before, but DQ IX actually sold worse than DQVIII in the west.
    In the West. On a portable. And is an RPG. And doesn't have 'Mario' or 'Pokemon' somewhere in the title.

Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    Which is really too bad, because it's one of the best games.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    I can't see why that quote about WiiU infrastructure is awlays read as an all-or-nothing quote. Wouldn't it also be reasonable to assume Nintendo will have some service as well, but if developers want their own (almost definately better) one, then Nintendo wont get in their way?

Why is it always read as "Nintendo isn't going to do a fucking thing, everyone will have to work out their own online or they get nothing"?

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    plufim wrote:
    Why is it always read as "Nintendo isn't going to do a fucking thing, everyone will have to work out their own online or they get nothing"?

Because their last service was pretty lackluster.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Henroid wrote:
    Astale wrote:

I can't remember any incident where a staff / employees of a game company that was complaining about abuse was merely collectively lazy and wanted to collect paychecks without working for a living. So what I'm saying is, if abuse is called in this industry, it tends to be legit. Which saddens me.

Staff, probably legit. A single member of the staff? There are usually complaints from those on a regular basis. I don't have a clue if the Crysis thing is legit, and as I said, that publication was biased towards Crytek as all holy hell at the start. Still, when it's just one person it's usually someone that really doesn't belong in an industry with crunch times. The games industry is always close to that line between a tough job and abuse, and I don't expect it to change.

Astale on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    plufim wrote:
    I can't see why that quote about WiiU infrastructure is awlays read as an all-or-nothing quote. Wouldn't it also be reasonable to assume Nintendo will have some service as well, but if developers want their own (almost definately better) one, then Nintendo wont get in their way?

Because we don't have evidence to support the fact that Nintendo is doing anything about the online system. I hope it's not the case but I'm not holding my breath.

This discussion has been closed.