As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MacBook Pro display problem

HerschelHerschel Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
My girlfriend's cat supposedly jumped onto her closed MacBook, which was in sleep mode.
When she reopened it, the colors on the display were inverted.
Upon some searching, I find that ctrl+option+command+8 is the key command inverts the colors on the display -- but this is weird, because the colors were normal when she had last closed the MacBook?

Using that key combo, the colors are mostly back to normal -- however, the display is still 'off', and dark, e.g. grays are overly black, colors are dim and ugly. Tweaking display settings and color calibration didn't seem to help. There seems to be some strange flickering going on, which hints that the display really did go fubar.

Also, when she reboots the Mac, it initially boots up with the colors inverted again, and then switches back to 'normal' after a few seconds. This seems really odd! Like it's backwardsly remembering the 'invert colors' setting, starting out inverted, and reverting to normal. It almost makes me think that the display DID get busted so as to invert the colors, and now we are using the machine's invert colors settings to re-invert them to normal -- but that seems totally bizarre to me. :S

I tried option+command+p+r on boot to wipe the pram, but no luck.

Basically, I think her display is busted, but not 100% sure. Looking for confirmation, and any ideas of things I might have missed.

Also, she doesn't have AppleCare. Any ideas on how expensive it would be to send to Apple to fix?

thanks!

Herschel on

• Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm kinda disappointed that you found the inverted colors key command on your own. For a moment I thought I was actually going to get the chance to share that trick.

There's a few apple stores in Pennsylvania, but I'm not sure how close to Philidelphia they are. If any of the ones listed here are close enough, maybe you could try taking it down there and see what the Genius has to say?

Smasher on
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Ok, we confirmed it -- the display got busted, causing the colors to invert. If we plug the MacBook into a monitor using the DVI-out, one screen is inverted, and one screen is correct. :)

This is pretty wacky -- I really didn't expect a hardware failure to cause the colors to invert. But I guess it makes sense -- if an inverter gate is broken somewhere in there, all the color bits would flip. The coincidence that the Mac has an "invert colors" hotkey is crazy. :)

Thanks for the help Smasher -- we'll be taking it to an Apple store to see about repairs

Herschel on
  • Options
    qasimpouriqasimpouri Registered User new member
    I have the same problem. would you please tell me how did you fix your problem finally?

This discussion has been closed.