As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Good Old Games' pax party may be against the rules.

mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby.BaltimoreRegistered User regular
edited August 2011 in PAX Archive
Good Old Games sent an email out to people who registered for PAX media badges. This email mentions a party on Sunday night to which they are 'welcoming members of the gaming media'. To me that sounds like a media only party which is not allowed at PAX. I have emailed Khoo and the PAX Media email address regarding this.

What I want to know from you non-media types is, have you heard about this party? Has GoG shared information about this party with their fans somewhere? I looked on their forums and and these forums and I could not find anything.

Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
mentok1982 on

• Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    Sunday Night is after PAX is over, so I would think it's fine, as not part of official PAX.

• Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    So they found a way to get around the rules and stick it to the man?
    Normally I would approve of that, but in this case that man is Robert Khoo, so I can't.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    It's an outside event, there's zero control for that. If people want to hold a party outside of pax only for people with purple shirts and green shoes, they can.

• Options
    EvilPinderEvilPinder Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote:
    It's an outside event, there's zero control for that. If people want to hold a party outside of pax only for people with purple shirts and green shoes, they can.

Purple shirts and green shoes, huh? You may be on to something...

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    EvilPinder wrote:
    zerzhul wrote:

Let's do it!

• Options
    AverageToasterAverageToaster Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote:
    I have a purple shirt and green shoes. >.>

• Options
    MarySueMarySue Registered User regular
    I'm going to wear a green shirt and purple shoes just to show you all how it's done.

Portland, Oregon, and sloe gin fizz. If that ain't love, then tell me what is.
    +++BRONYS BEFORE BROS!+++
  • Options
    DylaNWGDylaNWG Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    mentok1982 wrote:
    Good Old Games sent an email out to people who registered for PAX media badges.

They didn't send one out to everybody who registered for a media badge. :<

Phooey on them, I say. I'm goin' to the Post-PAX Party anyways!

DylaNWG on
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote:
    EvilPinder wrote:
    zerzhul wrote:

Let's do it!

What about a green shirts and purple shoes?

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    MaxSteeleMaxSteele Registered User regular
    mentok1982 wrote:
    Good Old Games sent an email out to people who registered for PAX media badges. This email mentions a party on Sunday night to which they are 'welcoming members of the gaming media'. To me that sounds like a media only party which is not allowed at PAX. I have emailed Khoo and the PAX Media email address regarding this.

What I want to know from you non-media types is, have you heard about this party? Has GoG shared information about this party with their fans somewhere? I looked on their forums and and these forums and I could not find anything.

Who says media-only parties aren't allowed? I've been to at least three media-only parties both the day before and a day of PAX, held by Activision and Sony. They happen, and will continue to happen.

• Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    DylaNWG wrote:
    mentok1982 wrote:
    Good Old Games sent an email out to people who registered for PAX media badges.

They didn't send one out to everybody who registered for a media badge. :<

Phooey on them, I say. I'm goin' to the Post-PAX Party anyways!

Yeah I'm not sure how these media emails are working. I haven't received an email about a game that I actually care about.
    The coolest thing that I've been sent was something regarding League of Legends and I don't even care about THAT game either.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    MaxSteele wrote:
    mentok1982 wrote:

Who says media-only parties aren't allowed? I've been to at least three media-only parties both the day before and a day of PAX, held by Activision and Sony. They happen, and will continue to happen.

The rule does exist somewhere because I know I have read it before. It basically says that parties held by developers or publishers DURING PAX (which I guess does not include Thursday or Sunday night) must allow any PAX badge holder to attend.

This rule is supposed to be one of the things that makes PAX different than other media-centric conventions. PAX is not for the media. It is for people who love games and people from the media are allowed to attend.

EDIT:
    This is stated in the PAX FAQ:
    "Your PAX badge is all-access, and is good for all PAX-run events, concerts, parties, panels, and freeplay areas."

mentok1982 on
  • Options
    lemongrenadeslemongrenades Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    mentok1982 wrote:
    EDIT:
    "Your PAX badge is all-access, and is good for all PAX-run events, concerts, parties, panels, and freeplay areas."

If it says, PAX-run events, that tells me PA isn't going to host anything you can't get to, but others can.
    I agree, it's against the spirit of things, but GOG and others can invite who they'd like.

lemongrenades on
  • Options
    altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    Witch-hunt anyone?

CCP has been doing exclusive parties. This is a non-pax event and completely outside the ruleset of PAX. I mean... could you get more angry about nothing?

Also, I'm having a friends only party after each day of PAX and you're not invited.

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • Options
    WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    Color me confused, this isn't a party run by PAX, it's run by someone not at all related to PAX. How could PAX possibly lay claim to the invite list to someone else's party?

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    There's an exhibitor only, catered party in the expo hall after it closes on Sunday.

Quick! Write an angry letter!

If this media party is Sunday night then that is after PAX has ended so what's the problem? It seems like a nice, after PAX way for all the various journalists and what not to get together and talk about what they'd seen during the convention, get other people's opinions, etc. If anything, I'm kinda surprised there wasn't already a yearly end of PAX media shindig.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    nianianianianiania Registered User regular
    There are a billion other parties going on that weekend, if they wanna have their own offsite press only party, let them.

Honestly, why do you even care? And why rat them out?
    p.s. i'm having a pre-pre-pre-pax party tonight, and you're not invited.

2014 Tri-Wizard Drinking Tournament
    Hufflepuff: Death Eaters / Head of House
  • Options
    Wormdundee wrote:
    Color me confused, this isn't a party run by PAX, it's run by someone not at all related to PAX. How could PAX possibly lay claim to the invite list to someone else's party?
    mentok1982 wrote:
    MaxSteele wrote:
    mentok1982 wrote:

The rule does exist somewhere because I know I have read it before. It basically says that parties held by developers or publishers DURING PAX (which I guess does not include Thursday or Sunday night) must allow any PAX badge holder to attend.

This rule is supposed to be one of the things that makes PAX different than other media-centric conventions. PAX is not for the media. It is for people who love games and people from the media are allowed to attend.

EDIT:

The operative phrase here is 'PAX-run'. If Sony has a media-only party on Friday night, it's not ran by PAX. It's ran by Sony.

And as for "If it's held on Sunday night, it's after PAX", that has nothing to do with it either. I went to a Sony media-only party on Friday night in 2009. There is nothing against the rules happening here.

• Options
    You guys think I overreacted? You're probably right.

I'm, sorry. :cry:

• Options
    JurgmanJurgman Tech Director NYC, NJ, LARegistered User regular
    All I can say is, I've been to many E3s; is that media sux. Ya wait in line for a while and media just cuts right in front of ya. Just about any jerk can get a E3 media badge, even with the new stricter rules. Im grateful this wont happen at PAX. My little 3D camera has just as much rights as the media ones, maybe more.

Maybe there is an exhibitor contract part that says 'If ya have a party during pax, ya have to invite all attendees', I dunno. Frankly I wouldn't wanna be at a media party, why would 'one of us', its about gaming.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Edited post to follow Wil Wheaton's Law.

MaxSteele on
  • Options
    TheEnigmaticTTheEnigmaticT Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    You guys are all invited to come by our booth for three whole days and get free cookies.

Free cookies! :)

TheEnigmaticT on
    GOG.com Marketing Bot <3s you.