As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Return of Television Thread

captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
edited August 2011 in Social Entropy++
The summer season of reruns and good stuff on cable is almost over. I have really been enjoying Louie (hooray it got picked up for a third season!) and Storage Wars.

But it will soon be the time when the networks stop showing their summer crap, and give us back the things we have been waiting for all summer. I for one am looking forward to NBC Thursdays, as ever. Community, Parks and Rec, and the Office will be back. 30 Rock has been pushed to midseason, I think because Tina Fey got knocked up again. Whitney is the new 9:30/8:30c show and it looks super awful.

Also looking forward to ABC Wednesdays. Modern Family didn't quite have a sophomore slump, but it didn't feel improved either. But it was a pretty good show out of the gate, just samey sometimes. Happy Endings grew on me, and I think I'll keep watching it this season. Cougar Town is another midseason starter (boo!).

I am interested in Terra Nova because Sci-fi/dinosaurs/time travel is something I have to at least try. Also going to give Once Upon a Time a try, it's supposed to be a modern day fairy tale mashup thing. Looks interesting, and it's from the writers of LOST!

I am a little interested in Person of Interest, almost entirely because it has Michael Emerson (Ben from LOST). But it's on icky CBS, ew.

EW has a schedule of when stuff is and when it premieres:
http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/08/19/fall-2011-12-tv-schedule-dates/

What are my fellow couch potatoes excited about for this fall?

captaink on

• Options
    ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    Metalocalypse doesn't come back until April.

This fall means nothing to me.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    FRINGE, BITCHES.

SEPTEMBER 23RD

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    Oh fuck how could I forget Fringe!

• Options
    ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    House, I guess. I think it's the last season.

I don't know how I'm going to get my Robert Sean Leonard fix now.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I'm really looking forward to Awake and kind of looking forward to Terra Nova, I do not have high hopes for the latter though.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    I didn't know what Awake was so I watched a video. Could be interesting.

• Options
    I'm kind of worried about this "midseason replacement" business. Not sure what that is

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    probably gonna watch Ringer and whatever the Jason Isaac show is called

also goddammit I have so much fucking catching up to do, gotta plow through a whole bunch of Justified and Breaking Bad

e: oh shit and Kat Dennings has a show that I'll probably check out too

YaYa on
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I am pretty pumped for Awake but it's a midseason show

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Artreus wrote:
    I'm kind of worried about this "midseason replacement" business. Not sure what that is

It's not often a good sign for a show. It's also annoying because they start and stop shows willy-nilly

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    whoa where the fuck is 30 Rock on that schedule?!

• Options
    Also Modern Family is an excellent show and everybody should watch it.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    30 Rock is a Midseason or Spring season premiere.

captaink on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    How I Met Your Mother comes back in September and I'm looking forward to it even though it really should have ended last season.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    Artreus wrote:

well when you approve new shows for the fall season, you cant assume they are all going to work out because when some of them dont you dont want to be stuck with that show on your schedule for the rest of the season.

So you keep some shows in reserve to premiere in the spring and plug holes in the schedule

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Balefuego wrote:
    Artreus wrote:

well when you approve new shows for the fall season, you cant assume they are all going to work out because when some of them dont you dont want to be stuck with that show on your schedule for the rest of the season.

So you keep some shows in reserve to premiere in the spring and plug holes in the schedule

Ah, thanks.

That does not bode super well for Awake I think

• Options
    Oh and It's Always Sunny, of course. I was focused on network shows but Big Mac should be really great. The promos they have made for this season are fantastic:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwkNdA18TJA

• Options
    I have my doubts about Awake ability to be a long term show but it has nothing to do with being a midseason replacement

plenty of shows have debuted at midseason and been big hits

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Balefuego wrote:
    I have my doubts about Awake ability to be a long term show but it has nothing to do with being a midseason replacement

I don't doubt you but doesn't conventional wisdom have most networks not putting their 'A-game' shows as midseason replacements?

• Options
    yeah actually it does seem like it would make for a really stellar mini-series but what could they do with the concept that would keep it running for a while

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    captaink wrote:
    Balefuego wrote:

I don't doubt you but doesn't conventional wisdom have most networks not putting their 'A-game' shows as midseason replacements?

There are a lot of reasons to debut things at midseason other than "we think this show sucks." The really shitty ones get dumped off in the summer, for instance.

If you've got a big show coming up that you know is going to be a hit, you can hold off and try to let the new show feed off that, or if there are production issues that are holding it up, or if you've got baseball fucking up your schedule and you feel like you need to hold back til you can have the show not lose like half of the audience that just started watching it because you weren't airing it for like a month

• Options
    captaink wrote:
    Balefuego wrote:

It's not really that simple, especially now since the way current network schedules work is that they are usually built around the big reality shows like American Idol - which don't run all year.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Also the other midseason show that I'm kind of looking forward to is The River

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Also so happy that Community and Parks and Rec are airing back to back so I don't have to kill time between them anymore. Now I can just watch from 8-9 and then peace out

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    shows currently airing/recently ended that are i dvr and love: louie, wilfred, alphas, great food truck race, project runway, challenge: rivals, the glades, leverage, falling skies, white collar, covert affairs

old shows coming back that i am terribly excited for: community, parks and rec, the office, dr. who, boardwalk empire, castle, supernatural, nikita, how i met your mother, raising hope, glee, survivor, modern family, happy endings, ANTM, sons of anarchy, its always sunny, the league, psych

new shows that i plan on dvring that have me atwittipated: 2 broke girls, terra nova, ringer, new girl, i hate my teenage daughter, persons of interest, grimm, once upon a time, apartment 23

i probably need to cut back on tv, maybe?

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Metalocalypse and Black Dynamite don't return or start respectively until next year

Going to sleep until next year

• Options
    grimm is going to be awful Nino

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    mofuggin mad men baby

can't come soon enough

• Options
    I am going to keep watching the Office. It's still pretty good and I am curious to see how they forge ahead without Steve Carrel and with James Spader.

• Options
    Mad Men won't be back until next year

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    Balefuego wrote:
    grimm is going to be awful Nino

i have hope for it! though once upon a time looks loads better, i'm willing to be surprised. i am just hoping it takes the whole crime procedural thing to heart, i want a crime show, but with fairy creatures! just like how alphas is a crime show, but with superpowers! (everyone watch alphas!)

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    I honestly don't even care if Awake isn't that good or, like others have suggested, can't maintain more than a mini-series.

I will still go back and watch that trailer because it's so good.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    the guy who did Awake is the same guy who did Lone Star which was a fucking amazing pilot and then obviously was cancelled after 2 episodes

so at the very least we will get a rad tv movie out of it

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Skull Man wrote:
    mofuggin mad men baby

can't come soon enough

I almost don't want Mad Men to come back after the awful stuff I read.

It's a fantastic show, don't get me wrong, but the creator is such a douchebag that Breaking bad only has one more season, AND Walking Dead might be cancelled, all because the creator wanted more and more and more money than was really needed.

Dammit, Walking Dead is one of the few reasons I even still own a TV.

• Options
    facetious wrote:
    I honestly don't even care if Awake isn't that good or, like others have suggested, can't maintain more than a mini-series.

I will still go back and watch that trailer because it's so good.

I would love a miniseries though.

Also what is wrong with you Sweeny Tom.

Archer and Community and Modern Family and lots of other shows on right now are still good

• Options
    Sweeney Tom that is a colossally dumb post

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    To be fair Bale, I have been seeing lots of stuff on the internet about how AMC is going crazy recently because of Mad Men stuff and then the Walking Dead guy got fired and stuff

• Options
    sweeney did you get that info from the sons of anarchy guy

because it's not fully accurate

first of all, the guy in charge of breaking bad wanted it to end soon for story purposes, and the only sticking point would have been him taking it elsewhere if AMC didn't want it

and the Walking Dead is kind of a clusterfuck all on its own

• Options
    mostly looking forward to Parks, Community and the Office, if only to see how that plays out

and Chuck, but that's not back til October

oh and I might check out Person of Interest because Michael Emerson's in it

• Options
    Matt Weiner is kind of an asshole but I mean, alot of these people are. That what makes them good at what they do.

David Simon is the biggest fucking douchebag on the planet, dosen't mean that The Wire isn't a fucking astonishing piece of art.

And yeah, Breaking Bad was only going to last one more year anyway, Vince Gilligan had no interest in dragging the show out for no reason and it's even getting an extended final season with 16 episodes instead of 13 and also The Walking Dead is a fucking trainwreck of a show.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.