As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 3.5] Lands of Liss: Northlands (ICC & OOC)

• clivemancliveman Registered User regular
    edited October 2013
    "Peace? With weak oness?! NEVER! Cussinsz, conssume them all!" The rat man roars, as best it can with its scratchy voice, while its companion is stunned by Warka's assault. The crystals on his shield flare brilliantly, seemingly absorbing the psionic discharge but then they wink out and the wererat howls as portions of his skin char. Answering the creature's call, a roiling mass of small black furred bodies squirms from a nearby bush and wriggles across Drem and Krezzyl, burying the hobgoblin as he writhes on the ground. Taking a quick glance at their options, and the fact that the swarm end of the bridge is blocked off to them, Mora and Carson head back to help Lorelai deal with the wolverine. The two swarm bound manage to escape being nauseated and strike back at their bestial foes but Krezzyl is having a tough time keeping his feet as the wolf trips him with ease this time. The magical psionic duel beginning between Warka and the wererat continues as a spongy ball of flame attempts to sere the flesh from Warka's bones, but his surprising agility leaves him unscathed.

Maps
    whlz.jpg
    Initiative & Stats
    23 D19 Rat "Lord" 67%, AC=?, FF=?, T=?, Fort=?, Ref=?, Will=?, Status: PR 13, +2AC, +2Ref
    16 H16 Drem 41/44, AC=18, FF=15, T=13, Fort=8, Ref=7, Will=2, Status:
    15 H12 Mora 29/42, AC=19, FF=18, T=11, Fort 7, Ref 3, Will 10, Status:
    11 I19 Krezzyl 37/53, AC=22, FF=19, T=13, Fort 11, Ref 5, Will 3, Status:+4 STR, Prone
    11 H19 Wolf Alpha 70%, AC=16, FF=?, T=?, Fort=?, Ref=?, Will=?, Status:
    10 I12 Wolverine 100%, AC=13, FF=?, T=?, Fort=?, Ref=?, Will=?, Status: +4 STR/CON, -2AC
    >7 I13 Lorelai 26/31, AC=21, FF=15, T=16, Fort=3, Ref=7, Will=6, Status:
    >5 I16 Warka 19/19, AC=12, FF=12, T=10, Fort=3, Ref=3, Will=9, Status:
    4 C22 Dire Rat 1 36%, AC=13, FF=?, T=?, Fort=?, Ref=6, Will=2, Status:PR 9, Spell Effect, Stunned
    3 H17I18 Rat Swarm 83%, AC=14, FF=?, T=?, Fort=?, Ref=?, Will=?, Status:
    2 H13 Carson 10/15, AC=12, FF=12, T=10, Fort=3, Ref=3, Will=3, Status:

Trees provide small AC and Reflex bonuses when in their area on the map.
    The only places to safely leave the bridge are at either end as the sides of the deep creek are very steep.
    Actions
    Rat Swarm
    Move:J22K23->H17I18
    Swarming vs. Drem, Krezzyl - Damage: 3, 1

Carson
    Move:I15->H13
    Attack vs.Wolverine:1d20+4=13:Hit!, Damage:1d6+1=5

Round 2
    Wererat
    Standard: Casts Spell at I16
    Warka Reflex Save:1d20+3=17:Success, Negated!
    Move:D23->D19

Drem
    Fortitude Save: 17 - Success!
    5ft Step to H16, Draw Weapon
    Attack vs.Rat Swarm:1d20+7=14:Hit!, Damage:1d10+2=6

Mora
    Move:H14->H12
    AoO vs.Mora:1d20+4=19:Hit!, Damage:1d4+2=6
    Attack vs.Wolverine:1d20+8=13:Miss!

Krezzyl
    Fortitude Save: 25 - Success!
    Move: Stand
    AoO vs.Krezzyl:1d20+7=16:Miss!
    5ft. Step to I19
    Attack vs.Wolf Alpha:1d20+11=18:Hit!, Damage:1d10+6=9

Wolf Alpha
    Attack vs.Krezzyl:1d20+7=23:Hit! Damage:1d6+4=6
    Trip Attempt: 21 vs. 9 Krezzyl Topples Again!

Wolverine
    RAGE!
    Full Attack vs. Mora, Carson, Lorelai:1d20+6:22:Hit!, 1d20+6=22:Hit!, 1d20+1=13:Miss!
    Damage:1d4+4=7, 1d4+4=5

cliveman on
  • Warka MuqayyarWarka Muqayyar Registered User regular
    Lorelai takes a 5' step back to I14, draws her wand of cure light wounds and zaps Carson with it once for (1d8+1) 5 healing.

Warka giggles he he he before moving to H14 and then manifesting Time Hop against the Rat Lord.
    Level check vs PR (1d20+6) 13
    Will save DC17 to negate.

With a look of confusion, the rat man seems about to squeal before all sight and sound from him disappears in a shimmer of silvery energy that casts the copse he was hiding within in stark relief. Having been roused itself from being stunned the remaining dire rat rushes over to Krezzyl in search of a meal while the other bestial forces continue to attack the group on the bridge. A number of the animal attacks miss time, almost as if they sense the absence of their master and the rat swarm suicidally swarms towards Drem and the rest of the party behind him despite risking, and being burned by, the flaming sphere that hung motionless where the were rat had left it.

Maps
    2blh.jpg
    Initiative & Stats
    23 D19 Rat "Lord" 67%, AC=?, FF=?, T=?, Fort=?, Ref=?, Will=7?, Status: PR 13, +2AC, +2Ref, Time Hop 4
    16 H15 Drem 37/44, AC=18, FF=15, T=13, Fort=8, Ref=7, Will=2, Status:
    15 I11 Mora 29/42, AC=19, FF=18, T=11, Fort 7, Ref 3, Will 10, Status:
    11 J19 Krezzyl 32/53, AC=22, FF=19, T=13, Fort 11, Ref 5, Will 3, Status:+4 STR
    11 I19 Wolf Alpha 70%, AC=16, FF=?, T=?, Fort=?, Ref=?, Will=?, Status:
    10 I12 Wolverine 63%, AC=13, FF=?, T=?, Fort=?, Ref=?, Will=?, Status: +4 STR/CON, -2AC
    >7 I14 Lorelai 26/31, AC=21, FF=15, T=16, Fort=3, Ref=7, Will=6, Status:
    4 I20 Dire Rat 1 36%, AC=13, FF=?, T=?, Fort=?, Ref=6, Will=2, Status:DEAD
    3 H16I17 Rat Swarm 28%, AC=14, FF=?, T=?, Fort=?, Ref=6, Will=?, Status:
    2 I13 Carson 7/15, AC=12, FF=12, T=10, Fort=3, Ref=3, Will=3, Status:

The only places to safely leave the bridge are at either end as the sides of the deep creek are very steep.
    Actions
    Dire Rat 1
    Move:C22->I20
    Attack vs.Krezzyl:1d20+6=22:Hit!, Damage:1d6+3=5

Rat Swarm
    Move to H16I17
    Swarm vs.Drem - Damage: 4
    Reflex: 11 - Fails!, 7 Fire Damage

Carson
    Attack vs.Wolverine:1d20+4=14:Hit!, Damage:1d6+1=4
    5ft Step to I13

Round 3
    Drem
    Fortitude Save: 17 - Success
    5ft Step to H15
    Attack vs.Rat Swarm:1d20+7=19:Hit!, Damage:1d10+2=6

Mora
    5ft Step to I11
    Attack vs.Wolverine:1d20+8+2=24:Hit!, Damage:1d8+3=4

Krezzyl
    5ft Crawl to J19
    Dire Rat 1 AoO:1d20+6=16:Miss!
    Attack vs.Dire Rat 1:1d20+11=20:Hit!, Damage:1d10+6=15

Wolf Alpha
    5ft Step to I19
    Attack vs.Krezzyl:1d20+7=15:Miss!

Wolverine
    Full Attack vs.Carson, Mora, Carson:1d20+6=22:Hit!, 1d20+6=16:Miss!, 1d20+1=8:Miss!
    Damage:1d4+4=8

Lorelai keeps Carson alive with another zap from her curing wand for (1d8+1) 5 HP healed. She also steps through to H13 not liking the fire and ratty swarm behind her.

While the rat's away, we can play! Warka manifests Energy Stun (6 PP, Cold) on the swarm. DC 19 Fort save for half of (4d6+4) 19 cold damage (already includes +50% area vulnerability). If save failed save again vs Will to avoid stun for 1 round.

The Rat Queen will return in the same place soon, so lets clean up these beasts and get ready for her return! Krezzyl, you got that puppy? Mora, how's the badger doing?

edited October 2013
    "We've got the wolverine, we just need to hit it more! It's crazed!" Mora shouts as she dodges a bestial claw from her snarling foe. With the swarm defeated, Drem rushes over their frozen crunchy bodies and tries to flank the hulking wolf with Krezzyl. Not to be ensnared in such trickery, the wolf lashes out with a masterful maw strike and deposits the dwarf in his rump. Taking the repositioning stoically, Drem lashes out with his axe and manages to cut into the wolf's flank. Using Drem's distraction, Krezzyl surges to his feet and shifts slightly before swinging at the wolf himself. As the scents of charred fur and frozen blood fill the air, Krezzyl's last assault is on wound too many and the wolf gives a lingering howl as it flees the bridge. The wolverine is not subject to such terrors and flails in futility against Mora's metal defenses.

Maps
    tv6l.jpg
    Initiative & Stats
    23 D19 Rat "Lord" 67%, AC=?, FF=?, T=?, Fort=?, Ref=?, Will=7?, Status: PR 13, +2AC, +2Ref, Time Hop 3
    16 H18 Drem 30/44, AC=18, FF=15, T=13, Fort=8, Ref=7, Will=2, Status:Prone
    11 J20 Krezzyl 32/53, AC=22, FF=19, T=13, Fort 11, Ref 5, Will 3, Status:+4 STR
    10 I12 Wolverine 28%, AC=13, FF=?, T=?, Fort=?, Ref=?, Will=?, Status: +4 STR/CON, -2AC
    >7 H13 Lorelai 26/31, AC=21, FF=15, T=16, Fort=3, Ref=7, Will=6, Status:
    3 H16I17 Rat Swarm 28%, AC=14, FF=?, T=?, Fort=?, Ref=6, Will=?, Status:DEAD
    2 I13 Carson 12/15, AC=12, FF=12, T=10, Fort=3, Ref=3, Will=3, Status:

Actions
    Drem
    Move:H15->H18
    Wolf Alpha AoO vs.Drem:1d20+7=24:Hit!
    Damage:1d6+4=7
    Trip Attempt: 18 vs. 10 - Dwarf Topples!
    Attack vs.Wolf Alpha:1d20+7-4=22:Hit!
    Damage:1d10+2=6

Mora
    Attack vs.Wolverine:1d20+9=13:Hit!
    Damage:1d8+3=11

Krezzyl
    5ft Step to J20
    Attack vs. Wolf Alpha:1d20+11+2=19:Hit!
    Damage:1d10+6=9

Wolf Alpha
    Withdrawing (Like a beaten cur)

Wolverine
    Full Attack vs.Mora:1d20+6=17:Miss!, 1d20+6=12:Miss!, 1d20+1=11:Miss!

cliveman on
    edited October 2013
    Lorelai takes a 5' step to H12 and stabs at the ravenous wolverine. Attack: 16, Damage: 1

Ratty should be coming back any time now over where it dissapeared. If we get ready we can take it down quickly. Lets get ready to invite the rat back! Warka moves to C19 and gets ready to strike any reappearing beasts.

Warka Muqayyar on
    The madly frothing wolverine is bludgeoned into submission by the intrepid travelers, and one farmer. Meanwhile on the other side of the bridge Drem and Krezzyl prepare for the rat fool's reappearance.

I suppose if people can be within range of the Rat Lord to launch an attack by the time he reappears then post their actions and damage. If he can survives the all out assault I'll continue the battle posts.

Maps
    dez4.jpg
    Initiative & Stats
    23 D19 Rat "Lord" 67%, AC=?, FF=?, T=?, Fort=?, Ref=?, Will=7?, Status: PR 13, +2AC, +2Ref, Time Hop 2
    16 D18 Drem 30/44, AC=18, FF=15, T=13, Fort=8, Ref=7, Will=2, Status:Prone
    11 J20 Krezzyl 32/53, AC=22, FF=19, T=13, Fort 11, Ref 5, Will 3, Status:+4 STR
    10 I12 Wolverine 28%, AC=13, FF=?, T=?, Fort=?, Ref=?, Will=?, Status:DEAD
    >7 H13 Lorelai 26/31, AC=21, FF=15, T=16, Fort=3, Ref=7, Will=6, Status:
    2 I13 Carson 12/15, AC=12, FF=12, T=10, Fort=3, Ref=3, Will=3, Status:

Actions
    Carson
    Attack vs.Wolverine:1d20+4+2=18:Hit!, Damage:1d6+1=6

Round 4
    Drem
    Standard: Stand
    Move:H18->D18

Mora
    Attack vs.Wolverine:1d20+8+2=15:Hit!, Damage:1d8+3=6

Krezzyl
    Move:J20->H20
    Standard: Ready Attack

Take this Ratty Cakes!
    Warka's attack is a 1, missed. Warka is at C19.

Lorelai's attack is a 17 for 5 possible damage. Lorealai is at E19.

edited November 2013
    Shortly after everyone is in position the rat man reappears in a flash and blinks his eyes, disoriented. Before he can continue cursing out the travelers he was trying to rob, multiple weapons slice and stab him, rendering him a bleeding corpse in the midst of some trees, a look of surprise and pain on his twisted, hairy face.

Carson looks around at the dead animals with a somewhat pleased grin, his eyes finally focusing on the world immediately around him rather than his village's problems. "Looks like I was lucky you decided to help me out, with your presence we're sure to end whatever is causing all of the ruckus at the town! If we press on we should get there by nightfall."

Post Combat Info
    Xp/Character: 750Xp
    Items: Club, Crystal Studded Shield

Mora Heals: Drem 11-41/44, Mora 15-42/42, Krezzyl 19-51/53

cliveman on
    edited November 2013
    I guess we should head on then. I'd like to take a look at that shield. I think it protected him from my powers a bit. Lets go, eh? Shouldn't we take this rat-thing's body with us so we can get paid? I wonder if that puppy Krezzyl was petting will come back? Anyone have a bag of holding?

Warka Muqayyar on
    "No need body, easy time this way," Krezzyl says jovially as he chops the rat man's head off with his sword. Without fanfare he deposits the oozing object into a cloth sack and hangs it at his side from his belt. With the headless corpse and the carcasses of the animals that attacked you all that remains of the battle here is little to hold the group's interest and you press on. Using the hours of travel to study the shield Warka obtained he is able to discern that it is a +1 Power Resistance Shield (2AC, Check Pen 0, PR 13, 5lbs), the crystals studded into its surface serving to dissipate magical and psionic energies that would otherwise strike the wielder.

As the sun sinks below the treetops you emerge into cultivated area where the forest has been cut back to make room for plowed fields and fenced pastures, all of these currently standing empty. "Not much further now," Carson says eagerly as he starts walking a bit faster. As you pass more farms and homes you see people in only half of them. The energy Carson briefly showed is swamped by this sight and his mouth turns downwards in a grimace. Twenty minutes later with dusk quickly shrouding the land, you come to the town of Treble Creek. It has no wall and most of the stout houses are roofed with thatch save for a two story inn capped in dark shingles. News of your approach has raced ahead of you despite the lack of apparent traffic on the road and in the dirt square at the center of town you come upon a crowd of people, maybe most of the town you suspect, waiting for you. A tall, fat man wearing brown pants peaking out from beneath an apron spears Carson with a look, "So you're back then are ya? And who are these... people?"

Guess we were not so weak ... Good call Kay, now we have the headless Rat King's head and can get a bit more money if we get it back in time before it rots. Hey Mora maybe you could cast purify food an the head since it is made up of the constituant components of food ... or what ever spell will allow us to preserve the head longer than normal. Anyway ... Anyone use a shield? Anyone interested in this magic defying protector against physical harm? ... I guess I can carry it if no one wants to use it.

This place is quaint ... reminds me of a pig farm in, oh wait, ... HELLO ALL, THIS IS KREZZYL, AND LORELAI, AND DREM, AND MORA, AND I AM WARKA MUQAYYAR, ORIGINALLY FROM MARDO BRANNIS, BUT PRESENTLY RESIDING IN STILLWATER (the others are from other places). THIS IS MY FIRST TRIP HERE TO TREBLE CREEK. MY COMPANIONS AND I ARE GOING TO DO OUR BEST TO RID YOU OF THESE TROUBLESOME PESTS. WE NEED A PLACE TO REST, AND I'D LIKE TO SEE THE REMAINS TO SEE WHAT WE ARE UP AGAINST FIRST THING TOMORROW MORNING. ANY QUESTIONS? GOOD!

At each continued sentence the crowd contracts and their eyes grow wider at Warka's booming voice. Whether a fluke conflux of wind currents or some subconscious pisonic exertion, all of the villagers are clearly rattled. The fat man, a bit quicker to compose himself than the rest of the listeners still stutters when he tries to speak, "Er... uhm... that's all good.. then. I'm.. uh.. Bern, and I can get you some rooms in the Horn & Hoof Inn, my own place. Er.. this way?"

He hesitantly leads you through the townsfolk who still cringe away from you as you pass by. Bern unconsciously smooths his apron, a nervous habit, but becomes more sure of himself when he enters the inn and shows you to your two rooms he's decided to provide you.
    "Just let me know if you need anything for the night, I'll be downstairs in the common room. And you!" Bern mutters at Carson, "Come with me."

Once alone in the hallway Krezzyl offers, "Raiders, they like night. We have time to rest you think Warky, or need we be fight ready?"

edited November 2013
    Yes, we need to be ready smart Kay, and not here in the inn. We need to be out amongst the cattle and whatever else is being attacked. I was hoping to get in before dark to rest up a bit, but looks like we head straight to work, eh ... Anyone need to rejuvinate? I could use some down time but can go for now. I may run out of mental reserves if we get into a big quarrel this evening. How about we go downstairs to have some quick food and then go see some men about some cows? Anyone see where Carson went? I'd like to view some of the damage.

Warka Muqayyar on
    edited November 2013
    "I'm ready, and since we gave our word to help these people we should do everything we can to help them," Mora says with vigorous nods of her head. Drem eyes her askance for a moment then adds, "She's right in that there's our coin to earn but let's get some food first."

Heading downstairs the group takes a table on the far side of the room from the bar. The regular patrons apparently entered after you had passed through to your room, but once they see the table you've claimed they give it a wide berth and conversation is definitely muted. An elven serving girl with waist length blonde hair comes to offer you ale and stew for dinner if you would like it. Over her shoulder you can see Carson and Bern sitting at a table in an alcove by the entrance to the kitchens, talking animatedly.

cliveman on
    Looks like Carson's getting his tail wagged. I wonder if he was supposed to pull in outsiders.

Yes elfy, we will all take your ale and stew. Say there, dear, what's the story here? Why do the town's folk keep their distance from us? We only came to help you all out. It's not like we are going to try to take over or anything, ha ha ha. ... As you can tell we are a good natured group of traveling doers-of-good-stuff, and if the town is uncomfortable with us here we can always be on our way. ... So what's the skinny between Bern and Carson over there? Why's Bern so miffed? ... What have you heard about, or seen of, the raiders to have attacked your cattle? Do they just kill-eat the cattle or do they do anything else? ...

edited November 2013
    The girl considers for a moment but decides she likes something about Warka's eyes, "Well Carson and Bern disagreed about how to deal with whatever's been attacking. Carson wanted to get whatever help we could from Stillwater, since were part of their territory?" She looks a bit confused about that last part, maybe she's never seen a Stillwater patrol, this village is somewhat off in the middle of nowhere. "Bern on the other hand wanted to round up all the men and boys into a posse and wait for the thieves to attack and then jump them. As if anybody around here knows much about fighting, it'd probably end in disaster. I think Carson got Bern to agree to wait for him to come back, but Bern's been talking to people the last few days and I think they were getting ready to go out on there own tonight! Well, until your group came in. I haven't seen anything myself but they say that all that's been left of the cattle that haven't just vanished have just been pieces. I think Leb, the prize bull owner, might have got a glimpse of the attackers last night when they came for his stock, he got pretty badly hurt though and is unconscious over at Ma Helen's house."

cliveman on
    edited November 2013
    Well don't you all have a town healer that can bring Leb out of unconsciousness? If not, Mora here might be able to do something. What kind of hurt did Leb get himself into? ... Guess it's time to talk with Bern and Carson about the deal and whats happening tonight. Group, I'm gonna go stir the nest and converse with those two, you all can join when/if you want. ... I'll be over with the two angry arguers when the food comes out, ma'am.

Warka nods and smiles at the elf-girl before he stands up and offers her his name, hand and a bow . ... Warka then makes his way over to Carson and Bern, and if they stick around he gently interrupts with friendy inqueries and smiles.

Well hello there Carson! Mr Bern, glad to meet you. Warks offers his hand Carson tells us you have had a bit of bother with some bandits or hungry beasts or something. Since we are here I was thinking some of your towns people may want to be involved, but they may not have much experience in mortal conflict. So, I was thinking those who are interested could act as a backup to my group. Well, now, that really depends on the nature of the attacks and all. I'd like to get some more information about these enemies - you know; Has anyone seen them? What kind of remains do they leave? Have they ever taken towns folk or just cattle, and what kind of cattle and is it always the same? Carson has given us some details but I'd like to get the latest skinny from the latest attacks if that's alright with you Mr. Bern.

Warka Muqayyar on
    edited November 2013
    "I'll see what I can do and return," Mora says as she rises from the table. Steeling herself for healing or combat, she squares her shoulders and leaves the inn.

Carson smiles and nods at you but before he can speak Bern interrupts by smacking their table with an open palm, "Of course we'll be there to fight these thrice damned thieves. This has gone on long enough and we'll not be shown up by outsiders!"

As Bern draws in a deep breath to launch into a longer outburst Carson quickly interjects, "The first incidents began with a cow or bull disappearing. There might be some blood but often times there was none, as if they were carried off or docilely led away. While I was in Stillwater it sounds like the bandits have gotten bolder and have stopped even bothering with whatever methods they were using to conceal themselves. We've had several cattle killed each night and frequently the farmers say they find gnawed pieces of flesh and broken bone just left behind. Despite bringing the herds to the town's fields that only put off the attacks for two nights before they came last night. That's when Leb got hurt and his two boys were taken along with some cattle."

While Carson is talking the serving girl, Sylvie, brings by the ordered food and gives Warka a kind smile before moving on. Across the bar Drem, Krezzyl, and Lorelai continue drinking, for their health of course, and eventually attract a few locals who've overcome their nervousness around the outsiders. For the next half hour Warka is inundated by Carson's mildly helpful but unspecific information and Bern's vigorous assertions that he and 'his' men can handle anything that's 'out there'... even though no one usually leaves the town. Saving him from the conversational quagmire, Mora's hand yanks him to his feet from the flames of the town leaders' disagreement. Once back at the group's table Mora sits down and sighs quietly, "I don't know how this town has survived so long without a real healer, that woman just uses bandages and herbs and expects them to work as well as magic, just foolish... Ahem, the Good Spirits saw kindly to help me heal Leb and with their strength he said that a group attacked his section of the herd fields, most man sized but several definitely larger."

Krezzyl nods as subtly as he can, nearly toppling the drinks on the table, "Yes! Hunter men here, they say orcs for sures, but never see them this far from mountains at Tailsends. Orcs is easy, we just hide in moo moos and kill when they come? More plan or is gud?"

cliveman on
    I think, Kay, that Mr. Bern over there wants us to play second team to his local-yocals. I'm inclined to let him and wait until they ask us to do something. But lots of the towns people may die, and that might give us a bad reputation. So I'm guessing I'll have to politically suggest ideas that Bern may not accept. Unless, of course, Carson is willing to just step on Berns feet and let us do what we want to ... Though I'd hate to get confused in the night and end up killing townspeople because they attack us due to not recognizing our composition. All we've heard is human-sized and some larger. Could be humans or orcs, elves and ogres, or trolls and hobgoblins, or even bugbears and hill giants ... Lets go talk to Bern and Carson and figure this crap out ...

Bern ... Carson ... We need to make some semblance of a plan to keep our two groups from attacking each other in the darkness and confusion of a herd of cattle. I realize there is little information on the attackers, and we can deal with that, but we have been hired to handle a situation and that's what I intend to do. if no plan is made then we can't be responsible for killing any townspeople in the chaos, and if we are to play the backup role then we are not doing what we were hired for. Now I'm sorry there is disagreement between the two of you, if there wasn't my job would be so much easier, but since there is we need to figure out our role, and if none can be found my group can be on it's way to visit some historical sights. So waht do you say, Bern, Carson, what will you have us do?

Carson responds quickly, ignoring Bern, "Your squad can take the lead in any encounters with the bandits, it is why I looked for a group like yours. Those from the village willing to fight to protect the herds can join as they see fit I suppose, but If they won't listen to your advice and expertise in this matter well... I don't see how that can be held against you."

Bern looks slightly confused at Carson and his attempts to address different groups, "Well of course if they really will fight for the herds.. uh... that's fine but we men won't stand about while our livelihoods are threatened you here! We Creekers know what's what, we won't be fooled by your razmataz.. yeah."

*The party has defacto battle authority for encounters including townspeople.
    Unkown reliability/skill of townspeople combatants.

In my next post I'll include the map of the fields where the herds are for you to designate positions for party, villagers, etc. If there is anything else you wish to explore before this point, do so.

edited December 2013
    jqmr.jpg
    The brown lines represent fences and they take 10ft of movement to 'climb over'. The grey rectangle is a barn/shed usually filled with farm tools and feed. The brownish grass areas are hay stacks. The last attack came from the NW and you have been joined by a contingent from the town consisting of some farmers and teenagers. Leb has managed to find a helm in an attic somewhere, and the attractively mustachioed Bern stands with Carson.

cliveman on
    edited December 2013
    Glad that's settled, Bern.

Kay, the last attack came from over yonder ... What do you think about them coming from the same way again? ... Anyone got a ladder so we can put a lookout up on top of the barn, preferably someone with good dark vision, Like Lorelai, or Mora or Drem. Depends on the lighting I guess ... I can see the townsfolk holding up in the barn waiting on commands ... Who's in charge of the townsfolk who will fight tonight? I can link our minds togther so commands can be silent, if needed. What we are looking to do is drive the bandits off and then follow them back to their lair to solve the problem premanently and try to get the two boys back. So, Kay, try not to kill everyone of them, okay? As far as follwing them back, I think Lorelai and i should wait on the barn, and then circle around when they attack. Once Kay and the village people have driven them off we can follow them with Mora and Drem follwing us and then Kay behind and catching up to them. ... Are any of the townsfolk good with tracking and following quickly and quietly? Do the bandits always attack from the same direction?

Any more thoughts from anyone?

What's the lighting like tonight: Stars, moon, clouds, etc...?

Warka Muqayyar on
    As the sun begins to set it is obscured by bank of thick clouds, any light that might have been present on another night will not be there to assist you if the bandits come tonight. Entrances to the barn are located midway along each wall of the structure. Additionally the villagers, led by Carson, much to Bern's disgruntlement, have the following HPs:
    Town Mob
    - Leb 14/14
    - Ed 19/19
    - Sam 19/19
    - Eldan 6/6
    - Joey 9/9
    - Sara 9/9
    - Doug 7/7

Ed and Sam indicated that they are fair trackers and are armed with bows. The four teenagers under 10hp are armed with slings and short spears while Leb is carrying around a rusty longsword.

Inside the barn someone finds a ladder and there are a number of torches and lanterns available for use. Seeing these Mora suggests using some of the teens to light and toss these towards where the raiders come from so they are easier to see once battle begins.

So at the moment the plan is for Drem to keep watch on the rooftop, villagers and other party members in the barn. If a raid begins, Drem signals the rest using Warka's telepathy and Krezzyl/Mora/Villagers try to fight them off while Lorleai and Warka attempt to flank in order pursue the raiders.

edited December 2013
    Change of plans, eh ...Looks like extra dark darkness tonight. A good time to attack a group of sightless human villagers ... Krez, what do you think of hiding in that hay over there to the west? You can see in the dark ... Drem will be on top ... Wait, lets move all the cattle into the northwest fenced area so it's in the same section as Krezzyl. Mora, how about hiding in the northerly hay stack? Drem up top to keep watch and provide artillery, while the rest of us stay in the barn waiting a signal. ... hmm ... When the direction of attack is known Krezzyl and Mora and Leb will be the first wave with support and light from Mora and Lorelai (or a well placed torch). The slingers will provide ranged support as they can from the barn top with Drem. The archers and I will work our way around the attackers with Lorelai's guidance to flank them and prepare to follow them back in retreat, AND find angles to fire arrows at them. Got it so far? ...

1) Drem and slingers up top keeping watch and ranged attacks.
    2) Krezzyl in/around western hay waiting to attack (or mixed with cattle).
    3) Mora in/around northern hay waiting to attack (or mixed with cattle).
    4) Archers and Lorelai and myself in the barn waiting to flank and follow (hopeful) retreat.

That's the basic outline. But we must be flexible in what we do. Townsfolk, listen to which ever of us is closest to you once the cow chips hit the hay. Good idea about the torches Mora.

Hopefully they will retreat once they feel the might of Krezzyl's resolve. Lorelai, myself and the trackers will follow as quietly as we can, while everyone else will follow loudly but at a greater distance to keep them running and paying little attention to the quieter tracking group.

My mind link only lasts an hour so I'll activate it as soon as I can after the raiders have arrived ... once you see something Drem make certain once of the slingers quietly lest us who are below you know since we will be largely blind.

Any questions, suggestions or changes?

Warka Muqayyar on
    The group is silent as Warka reassesses the tactical plan but then they simply nod in assent to carry it out, as do the tougher farmers. The teens' eyes grow wide as Warka actually speaks about details, tidbits that may mean the difference between life and death for some of them but they also gather at their assigned spots. Bern grumbles under his breath but either the reality of the situation or the weight of the axe he is carrying brings things home and he does not seem to interfere with the preparations so far.
    ribr.jpg

Each teen on the roof is carrying flint & steel + a torch or lantern.

Tokens with the red dot in the lower right hand corner of their square are on top of the barn.
    Characters on the roof and inside haystacks will most likely start off hidden.

Please correct me if the positioning is not what you wanted
    IF everything looks good then:
    ROLL INITIATIVE!!!

edited December 2013
    Warka forgot about Bern and Carson. He thinks they should be in the barn (Warks too) and in the first wave to attack with Mora & Krez. Lorai will move around inside the barn looking out the doors keeping watch, looking for raiders. Everyone in the barn should be trying to hide as well as the roof people and the hay people.

Lorelai: 18 Ini
    Warka: 4 Ini

Warks whispers, Any minute now and the orcs, ogres, trolls and hill giants will be here, hopefully, and we can stop this bothersome and inefficiant waiting and mouth breathing...

Warka Muqayyar on
    edited December 2013
    Drem's darkvision proves extremely useful from his perch and despite the raiders' best efforts, after two hours he spots movement beyond the fences, but not before a trio of orcs climbs into the NE pen! One of the village youths gives those inside the barn word of the enemies spotted and once telepathically linked, the group makes a preemptive strike which momentarily freezes the encroaching foes. Taking advantage of this, Drem lets a throwing axe fly into an orc chest while Mora surges from her haystack, though she groans as her attack is foiled by a fence post!

As per the battle plan, the village youths light and throw their torches before readying slings. Bern, Carson, and Leb move out of the barn, ensuring they are near some illumination as they ready themselves. Over the exertion put into the throws a distinct crunch can be heard as the thrown lantern lands near Mora's haystack... Bern begins cursing at the orcs and the way the three in his paddock are growling at him would imply they plan to become well acquainted with his innards.

*These are all the orcs I can see, but two large shapes are still coming from the northwest!* Drem sends into the linked minds.

Beginning to recover themselves, a guttural voice coming from the armored orc is directed at its forces, "Ха-ха! Посмотрите на дураков сейчас! Там будет больше, чем говядина для кастрюли сегодня вечером!"

Giant Speakers:
    Ha ha! Look at the fools now! There will be more than beef for the cookpot tonight!

Maps
    q1cr.jpg
    Initiative & Stats
    21 H4 Krezzyl 51/53, AC=22, FF=19, T=13, Fort 11, Ref 5, Will 3, Status:
    20 B13 Mora 42/42, AC=19, FF=18, T=11, Fort 7, Ref 3, Will 10, Status:
    >18 H13 Lorelai 26/31, AC=21, FF=15, T=16, Fort=3, Ref=7, Will=6, Status:
    14 B18 Orc 1 100%, AC=?, FF=?, T=?, Fort=?, Ref=?, Will=?, Status:FF
    13 B17 Roaring Orc 2 66%, AC=14, FF=14, T=?, Fort=?, Ref=?, Will=?, Status:FF
    12 B1 Armored Orc 100%, AC=?, FF=?, T=?, Fort=?, Ref=?, Will=?, Status:FF
    11 G14 Drem 41/44, AC=18, FF=15, T=13, Fort=8, Ref=7, Will=2, Status:
    9 A12 Bow Orc 2 100%, AC=?, FF=?, T=?, Fort=?, Ref=?, Will=?, Status:FF
    9 B19 Orc 2 100%, AC=?, FF=?, T=?, Fort=?, Ref=?, Will=?, Status:FF
    6 A5 Bow Orc 1 100%, AC=?, FF=?, T=?, Fort=?, Ref=?, Will=?, Status:FF
    6 A1 Roaring Orc 1 100%, AC=14, FF=14, T=?, Fort=?, Ref=?, Will=?, Status:FF
    >4 K13 Warka 19/19, AC=12, FF=12, T=10, Fort=3, Ref=3, Will=9, Status:
    1 F19 Carson 15/15, AC=12, FF=12, T=10, Fort=3, Ref=3, Will=3, Status: +4AC
    1 D18 Bern 18/18, AC=14, FF=13, T=11, Fort=3, Ref=4, Will=3, Status: +4AC
    1 Town Mob
    - Leb 14/14, Ed 19/19, Sam 19/19, Eldan 6/6, Joey 9/9, Sara 9/9, Doug 7/7

1 Moo Moos

Combatants outside of lit areas have concealment.
    The three yellow circles are torches and the one bordered by the red diamond is a lantern... which may be leaking...
    Melee attacking from one side a fence to another grants the target cover.

Sam and Ed will follow Warka when he moves.
    Actions
    Krezzyl
    Waiting for enemies to come closer.

Mora
    Move:E13->B13
    Concealment Miss - 66, Maybe Hit?
    Attack vs.Bow Orc 2:1d20+8=19:Miss!

Drem
    Concealment Miss - 63, Maybe Hit?
    Attack vs.Roaring Orc 2:1d20+10-6=22:Hit!, Damage:1d6+1+2d6=10

Carson
    Move: J15->F19
    Standard: Total Defense

Bern
    Move:I15->D18
    Standard: Total Defense

cliveman on
    Mora moves to L10 and waits for Warka to lead in the darkness.

Warka can go too, the orcs were startled by meeting prepared resistance so were momentarily flustered and essentially lost a turn/round.

edited December 2013
    Lorelai, do you know what that orc is saying? Do you speak "мотрите на дура" Warka contacts Krezzyl and Drem to see if they know what was said, then follows Lorelai, which ends her movement at M5, with Warka ending at M6. Just before following her he whispers to the two archers, Come on, lets go. Make it quiet. Warka and Lorelai attempt to be a quiet and sneaky as they can, hoping the battle will shroud their egress. Warka has +0 to hide and sneak.

Warka Muqayyar on
    edited December 2013
    Also, I don't see any lit areas vs. unlit areas. Lorelai leads Warka and the two trackers around (outside) the lit areas, and more than 60' away from any enemies, for now, to avoid being seen.

Warka Muqayyar on
    Over the triple telepathic bond to Krezzyl, Drem, and Mora Wait, we may have to change the plan somewhat ... I may try to charm one of these big things that is approaching ... depends on what it is I guess. Give me some time before attacking Krezzyl. I'll let you know if I failed.

Krezzyl agrees to wait and telepathically translates the things he hears, color=green]"Ha ha! Look at the fools now! There will be more than beef for the cookpot tonight!"[/color] Given the murmur of approving grumbles from the attackers, the prospect of a non-beef selection for the evening meal is much appreciated. With tightening hands and coiling muscles they prepare themselves to begin their bloody work with glee.

With the illumination provided by the torches and lantern Mora is able to see the hairy, leather garbed orc bowman and compensates for the hindrance of the fence with a solid hit to the creature's ribs, drawing forth a howl of mingled rage and pain. "And there's more where that came from pig face!" the cleric roars.

Warka can't get a good view of the two large creatures approaching yet but one is ~80ft. N and the other is ~75ft. N and slightly W. For most of those on the roof of the barn the illumination will fully reveal them in short order once they let loose with further attacks.
    Maps
    ch8v.jpg
    I tried to indicated the levels of illumination on the map this time. The whitish zones are shadowy illumination, the yellow are well lit, and beyond that it is pretty dark.
    Initiative & Stats
    20 B13 Mora 42/42, AC=19, FF=18, T=11, Fort 7, Ref 3, Will 10, Status:
    >18 N1 Lorelai 26/31, AC=21, FF=15, T=16, Fort=3, Ref=7, Will=6, Status:
    14 B18 Orc 1 100%, AC=?, FF=?, T=?, Fort=?, Ref=?, Will=?, Status:
    13 B17 Roaring Orc 2 66%, AC=14, FF=14, T=?, Fort=?, Ref=?, Will=?, Status:
    12 B1 Armored Orc 100%, AC=?, FF=?, T=?, Fort=?, Ref=?, Will=?, Status:
    9 A12 Bow Orc 2 65%, AC=16, FF=?, T=?, Fort=?, Ref=?, Will=?, Status:
    9 B19 Orc 2 100%, AC=?, FF=?, T=?, Fort=?, Ref=?, Will=?, Status:
    6 A5 Bow Orc 1 100%, AC=16, FF=?, T=?, Fort=?, Ref=?, Will=?, Status:
    6 A1 Roaring Orc 1 100%, AC=14, FF=14, T=?, Fort=?, Ref=?, Will=?, Status:
    4 O2 Warka 19/19, AC=12, FF=12, T=10, Fort=3, Ref=3, Will=9, Status:
    1 F19 Carson 15/15, AC=12, FF=12, T=10, Fort=3, Ref=3, Will=3, Status: +4AC
    1 D18 Bern 18/18, AC=14, FF=13, T=11, Fort=3, Ref=4, Will=3, Status: +4AC
    1 Town Mob

1 Moo Moos

The three yellow circles are torches and the one bordered by the red diamond is a lantern... which may be leaking...

Actions
    Mora
    Attack vs.Bow Orc 2:1d20+7-4=16:Hit!, Damage:1d8+3=7

edited December 2013
    Lorelai leads the group around the west side of the illumination. Given that she has low-light vision she tries to keep group outside of the illumination from a darkvision/normal vision perspective. Warka tells he he needs to get within 40' of one of those big ones before he can do what he wants to them.

Warka Muqayyar on
    edited December 2013
    As a fusillade of sling bullets and axes flay out from the barn top perch, Carson and Bern grit their teeth and work together to wound and also dispatch one of the trio they face in their paddock. In a comedy of errors the orcs swing stupidly, over confident and fail to hurt their human enemies. The armored orc directs the two giant creatures and Krezzyl telepathically translates, "Kill the cows and leave with them when you have enough. Be quick!"

Moved the Lorelai/Warka commando squad within 40ft. of the Troll, they are still outside of the illuminated area and have standards left.

Maps
    nfk9.png
    I tried to indicated the levels of illumination on the map this time. The whitish zones are shadowy illumination, the yellow are well lit, and beyond that it is pretty dark.
    Initiative & Stats
    20 B13 Mora 40/42, AC=19, FF=18, T=11, Fort 7, Ref 3, Will 10, Status:
    16 A7B8 Ogre 83%, AC=?, FF=?, T=?, Fort=?, Ref=?, Will=?, Status:
    15 AB-1-2 Troll 100%, AC=?, FF=?, T=?, Fort=?, Ref=?, Will=?, Status:
    14 C18 Orc 1 66%, AC=13, FF=?, T=?, Fort=?, Ref=?, Will=?, Status:
    13 D17 Roaring Orc 2 3%, AC=14, FF=14, T=?, Fort=?, Ref=?, Will=?, Status:DEAD
    12E6 Armored Orc 100%, AC=?, FF=?, T=?, Fort=?, Ref=?, Will=?, Status:
    9 A11 Bow Orc 2 65%, AC=16, FF=?, T=?, Fort=?, Ref=?, Will=?, Status:
    9 D19 Orc 2 44%, AC=13, FF=?, T=?, Fort=?, Ref=?, Will=?, Status:
    6 F7 Roaring Orc 1 100%, AC=14, FF=14, T=?, Fort=?, Ref=?, Will=?, Status:
    >4(18) I-2 Lorelai 26/31, AC=21, FF=15, T=16, Fort=3, Ref=7, Will=6, Status:
    >4 J-1 Warka 19/19, AC=12, FF=12, T=10, Fort=3, Ref=3, Will=9, Status:
    1 E19 Carson 15/15, AC=12, FF=12, T=10, Fort=3, Ref=3, Will=3, Status:
    1 D18 Bern 18/18, AC=14, FF=13, T=11, Fort=3, Ref=4, Will=3, Status:
    1 Town Mob

1 Moo Moos

Actions
    Ogre
    Move:-A3-B4->A7B8
    Attack the Moo Moos!

Troll
    Move:A-1B-2->B2C3
    Attack the Moo Moos!

Orc 1
    5ft. Step to C18
    Attack vs.Bern:1d20+4=17:Miss!

Roaring Orc 2
    Move:B17->D17
    Bern AoO vs.RO2:1d20+3=21:Hit!, Damage:1d6+1=5

Armored Orc
    Move:B1->E6

Drem
    Attack vs.RO2:1d20+10-6=24:Critical Threat, Confirm=7:Fails!, Damage:1d6+1+2d6=14

Bow Orc 2
    5ft. Step to A11
    Attack vs.Mora:1d20+6+1=20:Hit!, Damage:1d8=2

Orc 2
    Move: B19->D19
    Attack vs.Bern:1d20+4+2=8:Miss!

Bow Orc 1
    Attack vs. Mora:1d20+7=15:Miss!

Roaring Orc 1[/color
    Move:A1->F7

Carson
    5ft. Step to E19
    Attack vs.Orc 2:1d20+3=16:hit!, Damage:1d6+1=5

Bern
    5ft. Step to E18
    Attack vs.Orc 2:1d20+3=22:hit!, Damage:1d6+1=

cliveman on
    Warka manifests psionic charm on the troll (augmented to affect giants), Will DC 16.

Lorelai stays hidden and keeps the townsfolk calm and quiet.

That troll is charmed, and is looking around in a slightly confused manner. Would you like the archers to remain hidden or start loosing arrows at some of the orcs?"

edited December 2013
    Mentally projected, The troll is now my ally, everyone go ahead and attack but don't attack the troll. I still need to link with him so I can give him instructions. Then to Lorelai and archers, I have the troll charmed, but can't communicate yet, and I don't think it's seen me. Give me a few more seconds to make it safe for us and then we will keep going around.

Warka Muqayyar on
    edited January 2014
    While the troll sways groggily, Bern and Carson manage to dispatch one of the orcs in their paddock. Dozens of feet away the bovine butchery continues and the armored orc roars in frustration at his minions, "Stop playing with those humans fool! Kill those cattle and pick them up! NOW! Just deal with that dwarf bitch and shoot the ones on the roof! I'll deal with this overgrown runt here!"

The last is directed at Krezzyl who could no longer refrain from joining in the battle, leaping from the hay and slashing the roaring orc. The sight of its own blood seems to drive it into a frenzy and an unstoppable swing staves in part of Leb's armor to the accompaniment of three distinct crunches. While the hobgoblin's attack was successful, it left him open to the armored orc's skilled application of flail to the ankels, and hobgoblin was being introduced face first to the dirt. Mora finally decided to stop messing around with the fence and simply crossed it to get at the orcish archer but he sidled away and grinned wickedly as the resinous contents of a tanglefoot bag splashed across her armor and legs, snaring her. If this wasn't bad enough, high pitched cries of agony come from Joey who is now sporting an orc arrow.

Despite seeing the tide of battle shifting around them, the ogre and troll continue to kill cattle and then load them into oversized hampers lashed to their backs.

As I understand it the troll will now react to your suggestions favorably but as he is still being ordered around by the armored orc he continued to kill cattle.
    Maps
    plyk.png
    Initiative & Stats
    21 G6 Krezzyl 51/53, AC=22, FF=19, T=13, Fort 11, Ref 5, Will 3, Status: Prone
    20 A12 Mora 40/42, AC=19, FF=18, T=11, Fort 7, Ref 3, Will 10, Status: Entangled & Rooted
    16 A7B8 Ogre 83%, AC=?, FF=?, T=?, Fort=?, Ref=?, Will=?, Status:
    15 AB-1-2 Troll 100%, AC=?, FF=?, T=?, Fort=?, Ref=?, Will=?, Status: Psionic Charm
    14 B9 Orc 1 66%, AC=13, FF=13, T=?, Fort=?, Ref=?, Will=?, Status:
    12 F6 Armored Orc 100%, AC=?, FF=?, T=?, Fort=?, Ref=?, Will=?, Status:
    9 A10 Bow Orc 2 65%, AC=16, FF=?, T=?, Fort=?, Ref=?, Will=?, Status:
    9 D19 Orc 2 0%, AC=13, FF=13, T=?, Fort=?, Ref=?, Will=?, Status:DEAD
    6 F7 Roaring Orc 1 60%, AC=14, FF=14, T=?, Fort=?, Ref=?, Will=?, Status:
    >4(18) I-2 Lorelai 26/31, AC=21, FF=15, T=16, Fort=3, Ref=7, Will=6, Status:
    >4 J-1 Warka 19/19, AC=12, FF=12, T=10, Fort=3, Ref=3, Will=9, Status:
    1 E19 Carson 15/15, AC=12, FF=12, T=10, Fort=3, Ref=3, Will=3, Status:
    1 D18 Bern 18/18, AC=14, FF=13, T=11, Fort=3, Ref=4, Will=3, Status:
    1 Town Mob
    - Leb 2/14, Ed 19/19, Sam 19/19, Eldan 6/6, Joey 5/9, Sara 9/9, Doug 7/7

1 Moo Moos

Actions
    Carson
    Attack vs.Orc 2:1d20+3=15:Hit!, Damage:1d6+1=3

Bern
    Attack vs.Orc 2:1d20+3=21:Hit!, Damage:1d6+1=7
    Move:E18->D18

Town Mob
    All Miss! :(

Round 3
    Krezzyl
    Move:H4->G6
    Attack vs.Roaring Orc 1:1d20+9=16:Hit!, Damage:1d10+4=12

Mora
    Move:B13->A12
    Attack vs.Bow Orc 2:1d20+7=15:Miss!

Orc 1
    Full Withdraw to B9

Armored Orc
    Move: E6->F6
    Trip vs.Krezzyl:1d20+7=20:Hit!, Str Check (+7 vs. +3) Armored Orc Wins!

Drem
    Attack vs.Orc 1:1d20+10-8=11:Miss!

Bow Orc 2
    5ft Step to A10
    Touch Attack vs.Mora:1d20+6=26:Hit!, Mora Ref Save: 10 - Fails, Entangled & Rooted

Bow Orc 1
    Attack vs.Joey:1d20+6=23:Hit!, Damage:1d8=4

Roaring Orc 1
    Attack vs.Leb:1d20+6=15:Hit!, Damage:1d10+6=12

cliveman on