As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Roasting my own coffee

NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
This is something I've wanted to try for quite some time. I've been looking around a bit, and it seems the cheapest and easiest way for someone new to get into roasting their own beans is by using a solid cast iron pan on the stove top, then grinding them with a hand grinder. I don't want to drop a hundred bucks on a roaster to only use it once or twice.

Anyone had any experience with oven or stove top bean roasting? Any tips for a beginner, and a good choice of bean to start off with (decently priced, but still worth it if you're going at it yourself)?

IHZR47b.png
Nerdtendo on

• John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    My Dad does this, he has a cheap machine that he uses. Be warned, however, it does require proper ventilation or you'll smoke out the whole house. Bare in my my Dad's always looking for the best cheapest option for everything, so while I'm not sure exactly what he has, some sort of simple machine rather than a cast iron pan is probably a good bet.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Yeah, you're not browning them, you're roasting using hot air.

It certainly works, and this site has some good info, but you'll probably want to at least use a popper of some kind. John isn't kidding about the smoke, either. and there's a non-zero chance of fire - as with any cooking - if the chaff is blowing around.

Sulawesi would be good beans, though might be hard to hit the right spot in roasting.

MichaelLC on
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    i thought i saw ona some food tv show them using an air popper for popcorn

camo_sig.png