As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Camera got wet :(

rocketshipreadyrocketshipready Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So, I by accidentally dropped my camera (Canon Powershot SD800IS) in a stream. It was fully submerged for about 5 seconds. It was off at the time. I immediately took the battery and SD card out. That was Friday.

Flash forward to today, when I decide I should try and turn it on. The lens comes out like normal, and I can view pictures in preview mode fine and dandy, but the camera isn't actually "seeing" anything. If I try and take a picture, it'll just be a black frame. I shut it off and took the battery out again, but did I completely ruin it? Anything I can do to salvage it?

rocketshipready on

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    There's not much you can do aside from waiting much longer. 2-3 days is the minimum I would wait for hardware to dry out. If you want to speed it up you can put it in a bag with rice. You may have shorted something when you turned it on but you can't know until you've let it dry more and tried again.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I've heard a good way to help get water and moisture out of electronic devices is to put the device in a ziplock bag with a small handful of instant rice grains. The rice will absorb the moisture out of the air, and the air will absorb the moisture out of the device.

...or something. Maybe. I do know it's always better to let stuff air dry when/if you disassemble it.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Pretty much what others have said. If it doesn't work after that you basically have a broken camera.

Quid on
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Yeah it may be that since you've tried to use it, you shorted something. Generally, if an electronic device gets wet, get the power source out of it immediately (you did that, good job), and do not try to use it again until you are completely certain it's dry. Generally this involves disassembly and letting it sit and air dry (again, the rice trick supposedly works).

Using it when there's moisture in there greatly increases the chances of doing permanent damage. Good luck.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    rocketshipreadyrocketshipready Registered User regular
    Well, I threw it in some rice, and I guess I'll hope for the best. It's an older camera, so it won't be a total loss, I guess. Thanks for the help

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    so canon has a loyalty program where you can turn in an old camera for a sweet deal on a new refurb. doesn't even have to be working

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    lapinokenlapinoken Registered User regular
    Another thing you could do if you're a bit handy is taking the camera apart and checking out if the cirquits got oxidated. (white-ish powder on your cirquits) If that's the case you could try cleaning it with an old toothbrush and distilled water. keep it open until it's dry. Screw the parts back together and hope for the best.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Something that worked for a roomies submerged iphone: (Note, we had written it off as dead already, or we would not have tried this)
    We immersed it in pure methanol (we both work in labs, and so this was not hard to find, pure acetone would also probably work and might be easier to find?) the idea being to displace the water with a non conducting solvent that evaporates much more quickly. Immerse, and then to a bag of rice for a couple days, (do not eat this rice.)
    Though if you have already shorted the camera, this wont work, but hey, if it's already dead, no harm in trying.