As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fallout] New Vegas: Ultimate Edition is now out on Steam! Now you have no excuse.

• Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Sounds like you're an 11 year old that wants extreme fallout.
    No Co-op, every game released does not need Co-op/online components.

It honestly sounds like Kadoken wants a JRPG version of this with co-op.

Sounds like you're a pretentious goose.

I dont deny it but cmon, you'd probably like my 80s metal band "More is More."

mrt144 on
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    i liked the metro, screw you guys.

I'll co-sign that. The metro did get repetitive, but at worst they were a brief obstacle on the way to something more interesting; hardly a deal breaker for me, and I did enjoy exploring if I wasn't in a hurry. And honestly, given that skill books were spread out more in F3, I found poking into random locations more rewarding there than in NV.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    went back to my parked new vegas mega mod install to finish off dlc (owb and lr i still have to do, and some mod bounties and then the final few quests again) and im trapped inside some weird yet awesome redoubt teleporter system where each teleporter sends me to insane death from various monsters, my fav being the abandon enclave base with all the fucking deathclaws let loose, complete with 2 mothers and 3 alpha males.

shit got real fast.

Sounds like A World of Pain mod? If not, I'd love to find out which one that is. Sounds entertaining.

If it's AWOP, go look for the Emergency Railyard Station for more fun.

....bring lots of bullets.

yeah i think it is awop, i couldnt remember the name and havent looked my mod list since earlier in the year. discovered the redoubt stuff after wading through a rad/ghoul infested bunker at the side of the divide entrance, its next to the green goo crater and little shack called hell's something or some other.. at least thats one of the teleport locations.

where is the railyard station?

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Stolls wrote: »

I'll co-sign that. The metro did get repetitive, but at worst they were a brief obstacle on the way to something more interesting; hardly a deal breaker for me, and I did enjoy exploring if I wasn't in a hurry. And honestly, given that skill books were spread out more in F3, I found poking into random locations more rewarding there than in NV.

The only time I hated the Metro was when I was trying to figure out how to get to quest locations, like the museum or Three Dog's Radio place. Other times it was effective at being dark and creepy.

Kadoken on
  • Options

The only time I hated the Metro was when I was trying to figure out how to get to quest locations, like the museum or Three Dog's Radio place. Other times it was effective at being dark and creepy.

The worst was the the messed up map in FO3 where one waypoint most certainly wasn't where it indicated was and you had to wiggle through some subway to get to it.

• Options
    KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    mrt144 wrote: »

The worst was the the messed up map in FO3 where one waypoint most certainly wasn't where it indicated was and you had to wiggle through some subway to get to it.

Man, I know that point so damn well. I dreaded that point when I replayed it and had to go back. Why can't doors we need to go out of glow or have some hud over it when we approach them?

Kadoken on
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    went back to my parked new vegas mega mod install to finish off dlc (owb and lr i still have to do, and some mod bounties and then the final few quests again) and im trapped inside some weird yet awesome redoubt teleporter system where each teleporter sends me to insane death from various monsters, my fav being the abandon enclave base with all the fucking deathclaws let loose, complete with 2 mothers and 3 alpha males.

shit got real fast.

Sounds like A World of Pain mod? If not, I'd love to find out which one that is. Sounds entertaining.

If it's AWOP, go look for the Emergency Railyard Station for more fun.

....bring lots of bullets.

yeah i think it is awop, i couldnt remember the name and havent looked my mod list since earlier in the year. discovered the redoubt stuff after wading through a rad/ghoul infested bunker at the side of the divide entrance, its next to the green goo crater and little shack called hell's something or some other.. at least thats one of the teleport locations.

where is the railyard station?

East of Primm, the vanilla location is Emergency Service Railyard, but AWOP expands it into an actual dungeon. If you're running Rumble Zones or Monster Mod + AWOP Monster Patch, that place is even crazier.

• Options
    mrt144 wrote: »

Man, I know that point so damn well. I dreaded that point when I replayed it and had to go back. Why can't doors we need to go out of glow or have some hud over it when we approach them?

The pipboy map, in general, was a duplicitous skullfucker whose sole purpose in life was to lead me astray and get me killed. Following markers and metro maps was more useful, which isn't saying much. Interior maps with compressed floors still rile up the urge to punch someone or something.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Orca wrote: »
    Fallout is about being alone in the wastes, man

unless the co-op player gets to be the dog, I'm just not feeling this

Wasn't the original fallout like one of the first games that had companion characters be actual characters, rather than just another voiceless PC made bag of stats and skills?

I still contend that isolation and/or open world exploration were core parts of fallout, as opposed to the communities. It invented the black isle/bioware school of "talkie" RPGs, and is the freaking originator of the idea of conversation battles being a legitimate part of RPG gameplay

Edit: oh yeah, the metro thing. That might have made sense if the game took place in the 2030s, but Bethesda moved the timeline up a little bit ;)

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

Wasn't the original fallout like one of the first games that had companion characters be actual characters, rather than just another voiceless PC made bag of stats and skills?

I still contend that isolation and/or open world exploration were core parts of fallout, as opposed to the communities. It invented the black isle/bioware school of "talkie" RPGs, and is the freaking originator of the idea of conversation battles being a legitimate part of RPG gameplay

Ultima.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Any of the Final Fantasy series.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Any of the Final Fantasy series.

Eh. I think Ultima's more of an influence on the whole BG school up to the present.

It's definitely the grandfather of all open world games.

You could murder people, use their blood to make bread, and then feed the bread to their families!

• Options
    I was thinking more in terms of companions having some kind of character (as well as being bags of stats)

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular

They ARE a bag of stats and skills. In Fallout 1 as well as 3 they were an afterthought at most.

• Options
    Yeah, but with the whole jrpg thing, they didn't really have any reactivity, which is (theoretically) the cornerstone of bioware/black isle games, da2/me3 ending nonwithstanding. Again, conversation battles

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I was thinking more in terms of companions having some kind of character (as well as being bags of stats)

Hmm.

Okay, they definitely had personalities in Ultima 6 (1990), and the first Final Fantasy with predefined party members was II, in December 1988. So it all depends on if Iolo did anything in 5 (October 1988) to define himself.

I think he did something. Not sure.

• Options
    Fallout's companions aren't that reactive. Once you acquire them, there's only a few areas where they actually react in a way worth noting, unless you go childkiller in front of them. In Fallout 2, the big thing is selling them into slavery, and the big conversation Vic has with his daughter. There's some areas where their skills can be handy (earning you an "I'll take care of that"), but nothing really major that I can recall.

They're roughly on par with Mass Effect 1 and 2's level of in-mission squad interaction--enough to let you know they're alive, but little beyond that.

• Options
    As for Final Fantasy, I remember them having personality in FF3, 4, and certainly by 6 (1994) and all subsequent games the personalities were well defined. Final Fantasy Adventure's characters were well-defined and interacted with you a fair bit as well (I played that on my original grey-screen Gameboy...released in 1991).

Betrayal at Krondor was out in 1993. I seem to recall party members having opinions in that game as well.

Fallout came out in 1997.

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    holy crap, i went to the lucky 38 to get cass and someone else since i had sent everyone to the lucky 38 the other night.

i go there and noone is around at all, im like wtf? they are not even at their normal home locations.. i find rex just standing at the back end of the strip (this might be that mod that makes the strip one cell thats fucking things up) and i couldnt find anyone else..

so i use the console commands, teleport myself to their location and what the flying fuck, all of them are just hanging around in the areas outside the map stuck up a huge textureless mountain way way waaaaaay north of the northern passage, just chilling, drinking my nuka cola, like nothing is wrong.

fuckers.

• Options
    Ok, I conceed the point. Though I'm still not convinced that the isolation was that important a theme

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Isolation was a big deal in the first Fallout because without save-scumming it was essentially impossible to keep your lightly armed and armored NPCs alive once you started fighting super mutants.

In FO2, you could give your followers armor and weapons just as powerful as your own.

• Options
    Isolation was a big deal in the first Fallout because without save-scumming it was essentially impossible to keep your lightly armed and armored NPCs alive once you started fighting super mutants.

In FO2, you could give your followers armor and weapons just as powerful as your own.

Nothing better than your entire NPC squad becoming dust in the wind thanks to a minigun.

• Options
    Or friendly fire.

Seriously, give Ian a SMG. Now try to play the whole game without wanting to murder him at every opportunity.

"YOU JUST KILLED MY DOG IAN, WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU!"

• Options
    The friendly fire was atrocious and hilarious.

• Options
    Single-shot weapons or bust for NPCs. Except for Cassidy, who could somehow curve automatic shotgun blasts around me and hit the target.

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Ok, I conceed the point. Though I'm still not convinced that the isolation was that important a theme

It was. Like its specifically mentioned multiple times by the developers. Not to mention the point of the "You have to leave the Vault" ending.

2168800-fallout.jpg

C2B on
  • Options
    Even in Fallout 2, give Sulik a P90 and he will shred enemies.

If you happen to be on the other side of the enemy, he'll cheerfully shred you too.

Everybody else gets Gauss Rifles.

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    The first fallout to really emphasize isolation (or at least where I felt it) was fallout 3, I never got that sense at all from the earlier ones - but that's partly just a result of the structure of the game. In the first 2 you don't really notice all the time you spend between cities, and can gather a huge party (like I always did). 3 is the first one where you really notice how vast the world is, and how few people there are in it.

sig.gif
  • Options
    SharkyKrunkSharkyKrunk Registered User new member
    edited May 2012
    I can't say I ever felt cripplingly isolated in Fallout. After a bad experience with Ian I had a tendency to avoid companions in that game. I definitely went into the Cathedral as alone as when I started.

But I *can* understand what is meant by the feeling of isolation. The Glow was one location that turned the isolation to 11. It was quite literally a descent into a Pit of Death. No settlements around for miles, nobody to give you Rad-Away before you turn to dust. I've lost many a good character to the Glow. I definitely felt it there.

Of course, ending on this note didn't make me feel like a social pariah either:
    C2B wrote: »

It was. Like its specifically mentioned multiple times by the developers. Not to mention the point of the "You have to leave the Vault" ending.

(large image, bros)

SharkyKrunk on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Ian wasn't shooting you in the back with fully automatic abandon, He was doing you a favor.

You are walking the desolate husk of civilization, its hot..He was just giving your body ventilation to cool you off.

Because Ian cares about you.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    Oh, and don't ever give the brainbot an automatic shotgun.

Little fucker doesn't know how to do anything but empty it towards the enemy, regardless of how far away they are, regardless of who is in front of him.

Unless your science is like 140 or something silly-high.

• Options
    Ian wasn't shooting you in the back with fully automatic abandon, He was doing you a favor.

You are walking the desolate husk of civilization, its hot..He was just giving your body ventilation to cool you off.

Because Ian cares about you.

"Those are speed holes. Makes you go faster."

• Options

If you happen to be on the other side of the enemy, he'll cheerfully shred you too.

Everytime, and I mean everytime, I try to do the "save Neil" quest in Junktown it inevitably goes to shit because Tycho clips a customer, or Ian takes a round from a Junktown guard and goes absolutely apeshit and we end up killing everyone at the bar.

And then we have to sneak out because I don't want to kill Mayor Richard Dean Anderson.

• Options

Everytime, and I mean everytime, I try to do the "save Neil" quest in Junktown it inevitably goes to shit because Tycho clips a customer, or Ian takes a round from a Junktown guard and goes absolutely apeshit and we end up killing everyone at the bar.

And then we have to sneak out because I don't want to kill Mayor Richard Dean Anderson.

My experience hasn't been quite that bad.

Usually requires a few reloads, but dang, man.

Things usually go completely to shit for me during "Free Adytum from the Regulators" though unless I leave everyone behind.

Too many good guys mixed up with too many bad guys; it's inevitable that a friendly on one side or the other will take a bullet and I'll have to just exterminate everyone.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    The most terrifying person in Fallout 1?

Kane, Decker's bodyguard. He is a drugged out, spiked knuckled murder machine. He is Brock Samson in video game form.

I gave up 'arresting' Decker without specifically assassinating Kane beforehand because he's that powerful.

How powerful you say?

He took down Ian, Tycho and myself in three turns. Solo. I had 90% damage resistance after taking psycho. Desert Eagles, sawed-off shotgun rounds point blank. Did not matter. He gets to attack, I kid you not, up to 8 times per turn. His criticals do around 40 damage points which seem to trigger all the time. He also has around 100 hit points, and unless you get very lucky with an eye shot, it is nearly impossible to kill him without losing an NPC at an early level (around 5 for most players by the time you reach the Hub).

He gives me more trouble than the final boss, he's worse than a Deathclaw.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    I remember just eye-shotting that dude first thing after getting torn a new one by him.

Then again I don't remember what level I was, and it's been a few years since I last played Fallout.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Like anything in the first two Fallouts, its up to those eye criticals and random numbers god.

Let's just say I never went with a 'fast shot' build in Fallout 1 again...

According to Fallout wiki he has 9 strength, 10 luck, and 1-14 unarmed damage. Not sure if that calculates in the spiked knuckle damage or not.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    Ahhh.

I've only tried a fast shot build once.

I also tried a lowish luck build the first time, not knowing how vital it was.

After those few runs, it's been all about the perception, agility, luck, and eye-shots with the most powerful armor piercing weapons I can get my hands on.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    You can aim at other areas besides the crotch in Fallout 1/2?

• Options
    Groinshot only run. Jinxed. Benny Hill theme. Many laughs.

This discussion has been closed.