As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wii] SSX Blur: Holy shit you can throw snowballs!

wenchkillawenchkilla Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Games and Technology
What:

ssxblurqo2.jpg

When:

SSX Blur for the Wii comes out February 27th.

Controls:

A completely new control scheme to the series has been developed for SSX Blur.

The nunchuck is used for controlling ground movement:
  • Roll/tilt nunchuck left or right to turn.
  • Use analog stick for finer turning adjustments.
  • Jerk the nunchuck upwards to jump.
  • Z button gives you a boost.
  • C button pivots on skis, tail presses on snowboard.
  • In the air Z+tilt in a direction will perform a grab.

The Wiimote is used for tricks while in the air:
  • Swinging Wiimote left/right does a spin.
  • Swinging Wiimote up/down does a backflip/frontflip.
  • Combine motions to perform more complicated tricks.
  • Holding B will line you up for landing.
  • Pressing A while on the ground will also activate a jump.
  • Holding A in the air will activate Uber Trick mode: see below.

Uber Tricks:
  • When your Groove Meter is filled, you may perform Uber Tricks, gradually introduced through the single player game.
  • While holding A, you will need to motion or "draw" a shape with the Wiimote (and nunchuck, for some tricks) in 3d space. Correct execution will result in an awesome trick.
  • Some known trick shapes are a heart with nunchuck and Wiimote, and a Z shape with the Wiimote.
  • The trick motions are based off the accelerometers in the nunchuck and Wiimote, not the pointer.

A detailed developer walkthrough of the controls is available here.

The rumble feature and Wiimote speaker are utilized in the game as well, and the menus are navigated with the pointer.

Music:

SSX Blur's music track plays in synch with your Groove Meter, changing tempo according to your performance in the game.

Gameplay:

The standard single player modes are here : Tournament and Quickplay.

Multiplayer consists of a two-player split-screen race mode and a trade-off mode where up to four players compete for the highest score.

So far 12 characters have been confirmed, 10 returning from previous games in the series and 2 new characters.

The 12 courses are based on courses from previous games, but have been redesigned for the Wii game.

Screenshots:

ssxblurinterviewscreensxx5.jpg
ssxblur2007021305515422tv0.jpg
ssxblurinterviewscreensls2.jpg

Videos:

If a picture is worth a thousand words, the trailers are worth at least a couple million. Like most games, seeing still shots does not give the game justice.
Go check out the videos at GameTrailers.

To read more about this game, but in a far less efficient and less cool manner than provided here, you can check out these other pages.

Thank you for Title change mods!

gamingsig.jpg
PSN/XBL: dragoniemx
wenchkilla on

• Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So pwiity!!

Nice op, too!

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Definitely want this game. I mean, ooh motion blur lol etc., but on the whole it looks good. The videos have impressed me with little things, like getting covered with snow that sticks to you when you wipe out. Plus the control scheme sounds pretty fun.

EDIT: Nice videos I hadn't seen before, I'm so pumped for skiing.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    QuintileQuintile Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Man, if I owned a Wii, I would soooo buy this game.

I loves me some SSX, and this game gets me all kinds of excited even though I don't own the console it's coming out for. :winky:

Quintile on
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I want to play this game, but I am so terribly broke. Looks like something I'm going to have to get over summer or something.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    This'll be the first SSX game I buy since Tricky if the reviews hold it. It's really pretty, and all the hands-on previews I've read have gushed about the controls.

bruin on
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    'Civilisation'?

Magus` on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Heh, didn't even notice that.

Figures you'd be the one to catch it though. :winky:

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Holy shit, you can throw snowballs!

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    BbajBbaj Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I love Tricky so much. I disliked SSX 3 mostly because it wasn't Tricky... and it didn't have any RUN DMC.

Bbaj on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

Quoted!

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Man, if I had realized this was dropping next week I wouldn't have blown $50 on Wii Play last weekend on a whim.

This is what happens when the forums are down for a couple of days. :P

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    brynstarbrynstar Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I am soooo excited for this. I love this franchise, and I'm so happy to see this game on the Wii. I hope this game stays exclusive to the Wii (no PS2 port please!) cause it looks like huge amounts of effort went into making this game perfect for the motion controls.

A PS3/360 SSX would be awesome too, but this is way more than satisfying for me personally. On Tour didn't seem to make quite the splash that 3 or Tricky did, and that was a sad thing.

brynstar on
    Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Damn this thread! I was ready to pick up Nba Street tommorow...but now, I may wait a week and pick this up.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    its a very very pretty game...but...blargh

i'm going to get lynched for nit picking but it does bother me how the snow doesn't seem to respond at all to his body and arms being waist deep submerged in it.

i've always been a ssx supporter. i'll probably pick it up when it drops downto a price i can better afford :-)

Guek on
  • Options
    AlphaTwoAlphaTwo Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm still uneasy about this game considering it's still reusing the trakcs from SSX3 and On Tour...

AlphaTwo on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    AlphaTwo wrote: »
    I'm still uneasy about this game considering it's still reusing the trakcs from SSX3 and On Tour...
    It's different for me because I didn't play either of those games, but even so they say in the HD video that they totally retooled the tracks for Wii so that they're "barely recognizable." Grain of salt and all that.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I want Snowboard Kids Wii.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I have posted this in the other blur threads we have had but this will probably be the system seller for me. Just as SSX was the system seller for the ps2. I love me some SSX.

corin7 on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Guek wrote: »
    its a very very pretty game...but...blargh

i'm going to get lynched for nit picking but it does bother me how the snow doesn't seem to respond at all to his body and arms being waist deep submerged in it.

I think the snow seems to respond just fine to the player (We'll see when we're actually the ones controlling - videos have never been a good indicator of anything to do with player control), but I know what you mean about the snow depth.

It's the only thing that bothered me when I looked through all the media for this game. This isn't unique though - I remember 1080 (N64) had similar cases on some tracks. I think it's just a minor thing and I'll get used to it. You have to admit it fits the overall visual style of the game.

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    I want Snowboard Kids Wii.

After Snowboard Kids DS, I'm not so sure.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    theparttimetheparttime Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    i can't wait for this. i think ssx 3 is one of greatest games, being able to ride a whole freakin mountain continuously is insane. i love all ssx though, and am replaying ssx 3.

theparttime on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I really have high hopes on this one. Odd, considering I have never played any SSX game before.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Are they having a "dumb box art" competition with the Tony Hawk guys or what?

Zek on
  • Options
    LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    I want this so bad... but with Crackdown this week and God of War 2 in 3 weeks, this one just isn't happening.

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • Options
    smallmouthsmallmouth Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I loved SSX 3. The only thing I don't like is EA's typical crappy career progression—having to start from scratch (even opening the section/races) with each new character is a pain. It's basically started the game over with each character. It would be better if you opened the mountain in general and the skill points were pooled so you could spend them on any character.

smallmouth on
    PSN: smh17; Wii code: 0022 6537 1791 3136, Zune: smh17
  • Options
    Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm sure I remember the developers saying they took all their inspiration from SSX 3, since they thought it was the high point of the series.

Eh, I haven't played Tricky, anyway. Still, as long as it's better than On Tour...

I'm really having to fight the temptation to pick up a Wii just for this. It looks gorgeous, the controls interest me and and what I've heard of the music sounds great, licensed or not... the horrible look of the UI and the character designs helps me put it off for a while, though.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • Options
    schlewschlew Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I hear about how the game reproduces some of the series greatest tracks, but is it limited to SSX 3? Or is it 3 and On Tour? I played the shit out of the first three, but On Tour just never appealed to me. Not sure why.
    I know this iteration deals with the single mountain aspect it seems. So I imagine the tracks are from 3 and On Tour. I was really hoping they'd find a way to incorporate some old tracks. I always played the hell out of Metropolis (I think that's what it was called), the city stage. I liked crashing through the office building windows as a shortcut.

schlew on
  • Options
    EnvyEnvy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I can say that I've always enjoyed the TH/CB/SSX series, and this will be a breath of fresh air, even if the air is solely on the Wii controls. Totally going to rent this one.

Envy on
    or you could shut it up.
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Woooooooo!

I've been lamenting how I won't have money to buy this, but I just found out I have my review and raise coming up, so I'll be picking this up at launch. Totally, totally amped about this game.
    schlew wrote:
    I hear about how the game reproduces some of the series greatest tracks, but is it limited to SSX 3? Or is it 3 and On Tour? I played the shit out of the first three, but On Tour just never appealed to me. Not sure why.
    I know this iteration deals with the single mountain aspect it seems. So I imagine the tracks are from 3 and On Tour. I was really hoping they'd find a way to incorporate some old tracks. I always played the hell out of Metropolis (I think that's what it was called), the city stage. I liked crashing through the office building windows as a shortcut.
    If there is one possible redeeming quality about On Tour (other than skis), it was the tracks. They were actually designed well as a whole, although 90 percent of the game had you flipping repeatedly through 30-second sections of each in no order. I'd say the tracks were just as good as other SSX games, if not better, but because you never played them straight from beginning to end as much, you didn't get to know them as well as tracks from the other games.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Zek wrote: »
    Are they having a "dumb box art" competition with the Tony Hawk guys or what?

Yeah, his body definately looks snapped in half in that picture to me.

Remington on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    LCDXX wrote: »
    I want this so bad... but with Crackdown this week and God of War 2 in 3 weeks, this one just isn't happening.

You can buy games weeks, months after release :neutral:

I'll have to rent it simply because I don't have money to buy it now, but will definitely pick it up later. I really love snowboard games and somehow skipped out on a whole consol generation of them.

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg
  • Options
    SolSol Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm gonna get me this game as soon as it comes out
    Elise is hawt

Sol on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Sol wrote: »
    Elise is hawt
    GIS NSFW!

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    First review, an 8 from Game Daily - http://www.gamedaily.com/canvases/gd/_a/review-ssx-blur/20070223140409990001

Says the controls work really well, and it's really pretty and fun. I'm trying to stop myself from picking this up Tuesday because I am teh poor, but it's getting harder and harder to resist.

bruin on
  • Options
    ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Goddammit I want Eddie back in all his glory.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    SolSol Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm not really a fan of Psymon or Zoe...how I loathe Zoe.

Sol on
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Sol wrote: »
    I'm not really a fan of Psymon or Zoe...how I loathe Zoe.
    D:

I was a Zoe man all the way ... until Allegra stole my heart.
    bruin wrote:
    First review, an 8 from Game Daily - http://www.gamedaily.com/canvases/gd...23140409990001

Says the controls work really well, and it's really pretty and fun. I'm trying to stop myself from picking this up Tuesday because I am teh poor, but it's getting harder and harder to resist.
    AFAIK, everyone who's had hands-on time with this game in previews said the controls work well, too. I'm really, really excited; played SSX3 through dozens of times.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I always play Elise. Canadian chick FTW!

Fireflash on
    PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Options
    ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Fireflash wrote: »
    I always play Elise. Canadian chick FTW!

What about Kaori? :winky:

Clawshrimpy on