Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

I DEMAND TAMALES

124

Posts

  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote:
    Yeah, Gallerias has pretty good food but god the service. Still, worth it once in a while as long as you don't have to be anywhere.

    Mexican food is too easy to make at home to go out for shit like that. Although when the farmers market shuts down on Cap Hill no refried beans for months.

  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote:
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    sometimes i get tamales from Rancho Bravo

    something tells me that Dru is going to shit on Rancho Bravo

    I've never eaten there, but the tacos look good so I don't get why you think I'd shit on the place.

    gX4SH.jpg

    Cause it's literally dirty. Good tamales, good burritos, but really has hygienic issues in the eating area.

  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Registered User regular
    This is true, but they offer tacos. I assumed that this implied they had something taco-like to sell you in exchange for currency.

    What they have is soft, stale tortilla chips that are insulted by a man holding lettuce. Cheese is thrown at the tacos in disgust, but only after being thoroughly rinsed to be as vile as possible. All meats or vegetables are first boiled for several minutes to remove anything resembling flavor.

    When you read about some fictional character cursed to live without the sensation of hunger or taste or the sated feeling of a good meal, these tacos are what you should imagine. They contain calories only because it is necessary, if the world was less structured but made more sense the tacos would be composed entirely out of disappointment, which is not particularly calorie-dense.

    In happier taco-related news:

    If you're stuck in Ballard, try Oaxaca. Seriously delicious food, painfully long wait times to eat though. Place is always crowded.

    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    This is true, but they offer tacos. I assumed that this implied they had something taco-like to sell you in exchange for currency.

    What they have is soft, stale tortilla chips that are insulted by a man holding lettuce. Cheese is thrown at the tacos in disgust, but only after being thoroughly rinsed to be as vile as possible. All meats or vegetables are first boiled for several minutes to remove anything resembling flavor.

    When you read about some fictional character cursed to live without the sensation of hunger or taste or the sated feeling of a good meal, these tacos are what you should imagine. They contain calories only because it is necessary, if the world was less structured but made more sense the tacos would be composed entirely out of disappointment, which is not particularly calorie-dense.

    In happier taco-related news:

    If you're stuck in Ballard, try Oaxaca. Seriously delicious food, painfully long wait times to eat though. Place is always crowded.

    Sounds terrible. being stuck in ballard and all. I like the taco place that's in the same buiding as kimchee bistro. at the very top. It's cheap n good.

  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2011
    The food at Oaxaca is really good, but I feel it's a bit overpriced when a single mole tamale costs about $8 if I remember correctly considering I can go to El Camion just a few blocks away and get wonderful beef tongue and beef cheek tacos for about $1.50 each. I'm totally willing to pay more for really good food and service, but the food Oaxaca serves is humble food and there are other places making that really good, humble Mexican food for quite a bit less. The only reason I don't outright dismiss Oaxaca is that at least they expose locals to Mexican food from a region they're not accustomed to.

    Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote:
    The food at Oaxaca is really good, but I feel it's a bit overpriced when a single mole tamale costs about $8 if I remember correctly considering I can go to El Camion just a few blocks away and get wonderful beef tongue and beef cheek tacos for about $1.50 each. I'm totally willing to pay more for really good food and service, but the food Oaxaca serves is humble food and there are other places making that really good, humble Mexican food for quite a bit less. The only reason I don't outright dismiss Oaxaca is that at least they expose locals to Mexican food from a region they're not accustomed to.

    Man, at least they expose people to mexican food that isn't azteca.

  • PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Registered User regular
    Also:

    SALSA BAR.

    Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    mrt144 wrote: »
    Druhim wrote:
    The food at Oaxaca is really good, but I feel it's a bit overpriced when a single mole tamale costs about $8 if I remember correctly considering I can go to El Camion just a few blocks away and get wonderful beef tongue and beef cheek tacos for about $1.50 each. I'm totally willing to pay more for really good food and service, but the food Oaxaca serves is humble food and there are other places making that really good, humble Mexican food for quite a bit less. The only reason I don't outright dismiss Oaxaca is that at least they expose locals to Mexican food from a region they're not accustomed to.

    Man, at least they expose people to mexican food that isn't azteca.

    But like I said in the very post you quoted, there are other places that already do great Mexican food cheaper. El Camion is just one of them, but there are definitely other places around Seattle that do really good humble Mexican food for cheap to reasonable prices.

    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • SwillSwill Registered User regular
    I DEMAND BATALIS

    batali-mario-sausage.jpg

  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    Is this the station where I can board The Hot Tamales Train?

    Because I have a ticket.

  • TheidarTheidar Registered User regular
    Homemade tamales are a little time consuming but oh man is the pay off worth it.

    I don't know of any good places to get tamales here in Rochester. I need to do some investigating.

    Gamertag: Theidar
    Wii Friend Code: 0072 4984 2399 2126
    PSN ID : Theidar
    Facebook
    Behold the annhilation of the extraterrestrial and the rise of the machines.
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Theidar wrote:
    Homemade tamales are a little time consuming but oh man is the pay off worth it.

    I don't know of any good places to get tamales here in Rochester. I need to do some investigating.

    Really, tamales at home is an all day, make 12 dozen, freeze 11 dozen affair. It's simply not worth it to make small batches of them.

  • bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    this is an awesome article about tamales and traditional mexican cooking

    edit: note: it will make you envious of what you can never have

    bsjezz on
    mandresig_zps30545639.jpg
  • TheidarTheidar Registered User regular
    mrt144 wrote:
    Theidar wrote:
    Homemade tamales are a little time consuming but oh man is the pay off worth it.

    I don't know of any good places to get tamales here in Rochester. I need to do some investigating.

    Really, tamales at home is an all day, make 12 dozen, freeze 11 dozen affair. It's simply not worth it to make small batches of them.

    Agreed, usually can get a week or 2 of delicious food out of it at least.

    Gamertag: Theidar
    Wii Friend Code: 0072 4984 2399 2126
    PSN ID : Theidar
    Facebook
    Behold the annhilation of the extraterrestrial and the rise of the machines.
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I don't know if you can get these outside of Chicago's south side, but a mother in law is fantastically awful. It's a chili-dog where you replace the hot dog with a tamale.

    Kakodaimonos on
  • StaleStale Registered User regular
    you can't, it is a Chicago only delicacy by Federal Law.

    easysig2.jpg
  • HyperBalladHyperBallad Behind every Nidoking There's a better NidoqueenRegistered User regular

    nidoqsig_zpsfa0d625a.png

    Steam: poetic_gecko. 2DS/3DS Friend code 0361-7385-2366
  • ASimPersonASimPerson And they will tremble again at the sound of our silence.Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote:
    Is this the station where I can board The Hot Tamales Train?

    Because I have a ticket.

    Hot tamales are actually from Mississippi and are made with cornmeal instead of masa. I think that train is on the next platform over.

    redoctober2.png
    SE++ Forum Battle Archive | PST = Pacific Standard Time | DRUNKSTUCK: A Homestuck recap
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    As a man who has eaten a whole taco bell grande meal in one sitting, I think I can speak about me-hican food

    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • SwillSwill Registered User regular
    Tamales are fucking delicious and I haven't had one in ages. Bluhhhh

    also @swill you ready for Jack Attack on friday??

    no not at all

  • KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Registered User regular
    lostwords wrote:
    As a man who has eaten a whole taco bell grande meal in one sitting, I think I can speak about me-hican food

    Pfeh. A real winner can kill 10 pintos and cheese in one sitting.

  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    I don't know if you can get these outside of Chicago's south side, but a mother in law is fantastically awful. It's a chili-dog where you replace the hot dog with a tamale.
    Stale wrote:
    you can't, it is a Chicago only delicacy by Federal Law.
    Whoa, hold on. You know that food truck you wanna run with Pip? This shit and your dumb spaghetti burritos. A billion dollars a year.

    1LRdqui.png
  • George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    Swill wrote:
    Tamales are fucking delicious and I haven't had one in ages. Bluhhhh

    also @swill you ready for Jack Attack on friday??

    no not at all

    oh well guess it's happening regardless of preparation though so!

    I haven't seen you in a while though, that is a thing I am looking forward to

  • ProjeckProjeck Registered User regular
    i wonder where i can get a good tamale in this town

    m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I enjoy pupusas


    edit: I don't enjoy spelling tho

    No Great Name on
    Xbox Live: OGSirToons PSN: NoGreatName Bnet Tag: SirToons#1214 NNID: SirToons
    Steam ID: SirToons 3DS: 3024-5277-3254 Twitch: SirToons check.php?c=sirtoons
  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    tamales with chili n cheese n beans is fucking awesome

    i remember once when i was little we were having tamales for thanksgiving and me being a little shit complained incessantly about it, but not having any other kind of meat meant that i ate the fuck out of them. and once i did, i came to love them.

    hail tamales

    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Registered User regular
    now i really want tamales

    and i already ate mexican tonight

    thanks, druhim

  • Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    the worst thing about tamales is when you bite into a tooth

    Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • UsagiUsagi WOMP WOMPRegistered User regular
    Or a stray acrylic

    You heard it here first, folks.
    Putting your finger in someone's butthole.
    Basically the same as flowers.
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    I enjoy pupusas


    edit: I don't enjoy spelling tho

    Just downstairs from the taco place I mentioned and across from Kimchee bistro is place that does papusas and they're hella good.

  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    now i really want tamales

    and i already ate mexican tonight

    thanks, druhim

    you're welcome! <img class=" title=":mrgreen:" class="bbcode_smiley" />

    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Druhim and I are the resident Penny Arcade Seattle Foodies. We'd hang out but he thinks I'm crazy horrible neckbeard. I am merely a neckbeard. Why cant we just have a civil dinner dru?

    mrt144 on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    mrt144 wrote: »
    Druhim and I are the resident Penny Arcade Seattle Foodies. We'd hang out but he thinks I'm crazy horrible neckbeard. I am merely a neckbeard. Why cant we just have a civil dinner dru?

    When and where? (this week is bad and we're leaving Friday to go camping for Labor Day weekend)

    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    What hood do you live in again? My wife and I have a meal plan mapped out until next Friday.

    mrt144 on
  • Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    I fucking love Tamales.

    Tamales were the best part about being a Catholic in Eastern Washington. Granted, I say this as a morally bankrupt ex-Christian, but whatever. Every couple months some of the Mexican housewives would band together and make huge batches of delicious tamales and sell them after mass to raise money for the church.

    Ffffffuuuuucckkk I miss those tamales.

    On a related note, last night I had Polenta for the first time, and even if every time I come across the word I start to read it as "placenta" it spoke to my hellbound soul; the texture spoke of tamale masa yet the taste spoke of Italian pastas. Delicious!

    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    Keith wrote:
    What would be your ultimate slam dunk??
    I would dunk it so hard my parents would love each other again
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky FONOTUNE Electric FairytaleRegistered User regular
    Chuys tamales are one of the top reasons i want to live in Austin.

    Kochikens wrote: »
    oh man I saw an otter with a boner at the seattle one and this kid asked his dad, IS HE EATING A HOT DOG
    and I laughed forever
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Friday Saturday Sunday, 13th 14th 15th, choose your poison.

  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    I fucking love Tamales.

    Tamales were the best part about being a Catholic in Eastern Washington. Granted, I say this as a morally bankrupt ex-Christian, but whatever. Every couple months some of the Mexican housewives would band together and make huge batches of delicious tamales and sell them after mass to raise money for the church.

    Ffffffuuuuucckkk I miss those tamales.

    On a related note, last night I had Polenta for the first time, and even if every time I come across the word I start to read it as "placenta" it spoke to my hellbound soul; the texture spoke of tamale masa yet the taste spoke of Italian pastas. Delicious!

    Polenta is one of the best, easiest things to make. Polenta and mushroom ragu is classic and awesome.

Sign In or Register to comment.