As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

TMNT Demo released... and a Surprise!

drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Games and Technology
The surprise is... it doesn't really suck!

I can't find it anywhere but at Fileshack, so here's a link there: http://www.fileshack.com/file.x/10211/TMNT+Demo

Heads up on how it plays: keyboard only (boo) and only lasts for 8 minutes (double boo). It really shows that it's a console game, it's not the most gorgeous game in the world, and 8 fucking minutes is really too short, but that 8 minutes also told me that I was having enough fun to warrant playing it twice more to get even farther each time.

It plays like Sands of Time with some character-swapping after intervals as well as combo-moves. I personally got it because I'm a TMNT nut and the movie coming out in March makes me spray nostalgia-gush everywhere, but I was honestly surprised by how good and solid it seemed for that 8 minutes. I might actually get this at release, if reviews hold up that nothing drastic is different from what I played just now.

It's a slow download from the Shack at the moment, though, but it's worth it, just to pique your interest.

SCB.jpg
drhazard on

• Options
    BaronVonSnakPakBaronVonSnakPak Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    im downloading it now, but i wonder if theres a way to mess with the config to enable gamepads?

BaronVonSnakPak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    360 Gamertag: Baronskatenbass Steam: BaronVonSnakPak HgL: AnsonLuap
  • Options
    MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    im downloading it now, but i wonder if theres a way to mess with the config to enable gamepads?
    If nothing else, JoyToKey.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The graphics I'd seen for this looked so shoddy, it didn't seem to be worth any attention. I take it still don't do the game justice? What would you compare the gameplay to?

Doronron on
  • Options
    chickenmaniachickenmania Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    This demo was actually surprisingly cool. The battle system seems a little shallow, but that may be because I'm just mashing on the attack button. I don't know how I triggered the time slowdown thing, but that was pretty cool. The turtle movement felt nice and the graphics, while not the best in the world, seemed good enough to me.

Anyone else?

Edit: So there are more options to attack with than just the one "attack" button, which is nice. Also, team moves have a good deal of potential. Running along walls? Hell yes and three times on Sunday, ftw, pwns, etc.

chickenmania on
    Nerds.
  • Options
    fogeymanfogeyman Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Woah, a new TMNT game? I didn't know they still made those. Last time I played a TMNT game was on the NES.

Anyway, I'm downloading it.

fogeyman on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The original video I saw to this game looked awesome.

Then we got a bunch of screenshots that made it look like something Ubisoft Morocco churned out for the PSP.

So you're saying it's back to awesome?

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Does this have any Corey Feldman?

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    So you're saying it's back to awesome?
    I think so. I hope so.

My short time played like the intro-tutorial to PoP:SoT, but I don't want to keep stressing that since it seems a little more solid than even that. Also, the combat, while shallow, is more interesting than SoT's.

I'm trying to justify my excitement, but this was really surprising.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    chickenmaniachickenmania Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Okay, so I've played through the demo several times now, trying to reach the end and have one thing left to say: fuck this eight minute time limit. Fuck it.

Everything else is cool.

chickenmania on
    Nerds.
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Ubisoft, if you make a good TMNT game, I will buy it for my GBA, DS, and PSP.

(Considering they're all likely different games anyway.)

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Will it have four player co-op?

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Axen wrote: »

Sadly no. Since the movie is about how their family is broken the developers said they wanted to focus on that.

Dissapointing.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    That much fun would be illegal.

And they have to save something for the sequel, I guess.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    FreddyD wrote: »
    That much fun would be illegal.

And they have to save something for the sequel, I guess.

...Isn't that a line from Bon Jovi song?

Bloods End on
  • Options
    D.T.D.T. Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Can't wait to try this. I'm a big turtles fan, and this game looks like it could be a LOT of fun.

Can't wait to see the movie with a bunch of friends, too. I'm a huge fucking sucker for nostalia.

D.T. on
    DxTiddy.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The demo is a lot of fun... definitely has a lot of the PoP feel.

Also, 360 controllers work just fine.
    A - jump
    X - team-up/switch character
    B, Y - attack
    trigger - guard
    LB - parry
    RB - special

The only specials I saw were Michaelango's nunchuku hover, and Donatello's pole-vault (which is awesome).

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    The demo requires XP?

Fucking bullshit.

D.T. on
    DxTiddy.png
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    D.T. wrote: »
    The demo requires XP?

Fucking bullshit.

Umm...

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    LavaKnight wrote: »
    The demo requires XP?

Fucking bullshit.

Umm...

hahaha mac user!

JJ on
  • Options
    BecksBecks Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Umm.... lol

Becks on
    content-warning.gifaa2monkeyline9hk.gif23tsbpk.gifquote1.gif
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    The demo requires XP?

Fucking bullshit.

Surprise!

Monoxide on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    JJ wrote: »
    The demo requires XP?

Fucking bullshit.

Umm...

hahaha mac user!

I'd jail you if I could jail, so I'm just going to give you a stern warning instead.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    It would be pretty silly to expect any game for the last couple years not to require XP.

I remember when Thief 3 came out and people were going, "I can't run this on 98?! Fucking bullshit!"

98 having been upwards of six years old at the time.

LaCabra on
  • Options
    gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    If it required Vista however....

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    The demo is a lot of fun... definitely has a lot of the PoP feel.

Also, 360 controllers work just fine.
    A - jump
    X - team-up/switch character
    B, Y - attack
    trigger - guard
    LB - parry
    RB - special

The only specials I saw were Michaelango's nunchuku hover, and Donatello's pole-vault (which is awesome).

Good news, just got my wireless 360 controller up and running this morning. :)

Rook on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The jumping in this game is so much better than the last konami titles. The first jump is enough to actually get you places, and you've got the double jump and triple jump just for kicks.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Okay. I had to install the demo on another computer in the house, but it was worth it. This game is fun as hell.

It's got a real ninja feel to it, and the focus on the unity of the four brothers is very cool. I like that you have to earn the ability to use each Turtle and maintain that ability.

Can't wait to pick this up.

D.T. on
    DxTiddy.png
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I totally want this.

It's coming to Wii and Cube with seperate releases, which means I won't be tied down to controls that may not work, which makes me even happier.

Now if only Traveller's Tales can make a decent Transformers game, this will be the best 80s throwback year ever. I mean, they even released new Transformers toys based on the classic G1 and G2 designs!

HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    BiggNifeBiggNife Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I dont know how I missed this thread. I checked the last few pages of G&T to make sure no one mentioned anything yet. Oh well.

But yeah, I got a demo CD while I was at the NY Comic Con, and I like it a lot more than I thought I would. It definitely feels more like PoP than a normal TMNT beat em up. It's probably a good idea that UbiSoft decided to go in a different direction than to mimic the arcade games, because the recent Konami TMNT games have been pretty meh.

Also, I'm really not sure if its possible to beat the level in under 8 minutes. I've tried at least 3 times now.

BiggNife on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Just installed it on a gaming computer at work and holy shit is it shweet. Definitely alot more freeform and loose than the old rigid Konami games of old. I hope the PSP version (and DS and GBA) versions are as good, because I really don't want to go out and spend $200 on a copy of Windows.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    ZarcathZarcath Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    fogeyman wrote: »
    Woah, a new TMNT game? I didn't know they still made those. Last time I played a TMNT game was on the NES.

you never played turtles in time on snes? you shouldn't be allowed here.

Zarcath on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Still digging the hell out of demo. I can get just past the third fight before the demo cuts.

So far, the only things I don't like are the fact that each of the Turtles is identical (aside from their bandanas and weapons) and the colored belts. Each turtle could really use his own shade of green, and the colored belts just seems like Ubi taking too much of a creative license. There's only one turtle on screen at a time for 90% of the time, so it's not like we need the added color to tell them apart or something.

Here's hoping these two things change. It's possible - after all, the demo is still using a really old character design for Splinter.

D.T. on
    DxTiddy.png
  • Options
    BiggNifeBiggNife Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Is there some hack to freeze the timer? If the demo contains the entire level, I should be able to play all of it. Its not like its the whole game or anything.

Also, the same game is going to be on all major consoles zero, including PS2 and GC. If you dont have any of those I imagine the PSP version will be a port of the PS2 one.

BiggNife on
  • Options
    fogeymanfogeyman Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Zarcath wrote: »
    fogeyman wrote: »

you never played turtles in time on snes? you shouldn't be allowed here.
    Yeah, I never owned anything except an NES and N64 (and I bought the N64 in April of '06). My parents never let me get consoles. None of my friends really owned the SNES, either. We were all too young.

I might get this game for the DS (once I get a DS). The game won't actually play like the demo with that race stuff right? That was just an excuse for the time limit?

fogeyman on
  • Options
    LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Still digging the hell out of demo. I can get just past the third fight before the demo cuts.

So far, the only things I don't like are the fact that each of the Turtles is identical (aside from their bandanas and weapons) and the colored belts. Each turtle could really use his own shade of green, and the colored belts just seems like Ubi taking too much of a creative license. There's only one turtle on screen at a time for 90% of the time, so it's not like we need the added color to tell them apart or something.

Here's hoping these two things change. It's possible - after all, the demo is still using a really old character design for Splinter.

Were they ever differentiated by different shades of green? It was always the bandanna and weapon that set them apart for me. Their personalities too, of course, but we don't see too much of that yet.

I just played if for the first time to, and was really surprised with all the moves you could do. I thought to try something, and it would work! Pretty darn fun, and it feels like a more agile prince of persia.

LavaKnight on
  • Options
    OneEyedJackOneEyedJack Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

Were they ever differentiated by different shades of green? It was always the bandanna and weapon that set them apart for me. Their personalities too, of course, but we don't see too much of that yet.

I just played if for the first time to, and was really surprised with all the moves you could do. I thought to try something, and it would work! Pretty darn fun, and it feels like a more agile prince of persia.
    The original Turtles all had red bandanas.

OneEyedJack on
    1089605-1.png?1281667433
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

If you want to get technical, the original Turtles all had graphite-colored bandanas

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    OneEyedJackOneEyedJack Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

If you want to get technical, the original Turtles all had graphite-colored bandanas
    They were black with red tint on the cover of #1.

...but they were supposed to be red, just like the turtles were supposed to be green.

;)

OneEyedJack on
    1089605-1.png?1281667433
  • Options
    WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I demand the wii version actually require you to use the nunchuk as a nunchuk. Speaking of, will be searching for Wii previews shortly.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Not bad at all, though I died ten times right after the first fight trying to jump to the balcony. It's obvious this is NOT a PC game by nature.

Delzhand on