As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Age of Ascension IC: Shut up, your baby is dumb

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Hohenvar, with teeth gritted, begins to consider whatever plans form within his mind. The goblin to the right is closer, but those trees could prove a problem. The same went for the hobgoblin he spotted himself, however at least he could cover some ground before being shot at. Unsheathing his weapons he makes ready to move whenever his allies do. He'll follow their lead, keep it simple, and let the wood and steel of his blades make the rest of his decisions.
    Oh son of a, okay not a strong start at all

Initiative: 1d20+2=7

• Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    Rhogar takes a moment to re-situate the child off of his back and onto the wagon floor, as he bounds out of the cart, retaking his dragonborn shape and preparing for battle.
    Initiative: 1d20+2 13

• Options
    srboyceboatsrboyceboat Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Cognast drops the reins and pulls a rope cord hanging from his back - the wraps on his scythe fall with a flourish and he catches the haft of the weapon, jumping up in his seat and brandishing the weapon.

"Ambush?!" he shouts, somewhat obviously. "Rook, can you get a better sense for their numbers? Goblins rarely operate in a group so small."
    See, with the scale armor, I'm super nimble...
    I was sure I brought a scythe with me...: 1d20-1 19
    Oh. Well, I guess I am kinda fancy. With my negative 1 modifier.

srboyceboat on
    Picture is Dave Dorman's (http://www.davedorman.com/)
  • Options
    lodwilklodwilk Registered User regular
    When another goblin wielding a spear and carrying javelins on its back, erupted from the tree line to charge at Hohenvar, the wilden barely had enough time to react and dodge the sneaky goblins wild stab with it's spear. When the second goblin charged the wilden he wasn't as fortunate as its spear grazed him across the arm.

Actions
    Goblin Warrior 1 breaks out of hiding and charges Hohenvar but sadly misses.
    Goblin Warrior 2 however does manage to hit the barbarian for 5 damage
    Map
    Combat1-1.png
    The trees are considered difficult terrain and concealment
    The pond is about 5 feet deep and is difficult terrain.
    Status
    Goblin Warrior 1 HP: 29/29 AC:17 FORT:13 REF:15 WILL:12
    @C7 Status: Normal

Goblin Warrior 2 HP: 29/29 AC:17 FORT:13 REF:15 WILL:12
    @B7 Status: Normal

Brinna HP:30/30 AC: 19 Fort: 15 Reflex: 15 Will: 12 AP:1
    @D9 Status: Normal

Cognast HP:26/26 AC: 19 Fort: 13 Reflex: 10 Will: 15 AP:1
    @D10 Status: Normal

Hobgoblin Archer HP: 39/39 AC:17 FORT: 13 REF:15 WILL: 13
    @L11 Status: Normal

Rhogar HP:30/30 AC: 17 Fort: 14 Reflex: 12 Will: 14 AP: 1
    @C10 Status: Normal

Guard Drake HP: 48/48 AC:15 FORT:15 REF:13 WILL:12
    @J10 Status: Normal

Hohenvar HP: 22/27 AC: 16 Fort: 16 Reflex: 14 Will: 11 AP 1
    @C8 Status: Normal

Cassandra HP: 25/25 AC: 14 Fort: 11 Reflex: 14 Will: 16 AP:1
    @C9 Status: Normal

UP NEXT BRINNA; FOLLOWED BY COGNAST

• Options
    MMAgChMMAgCh remember tomorrow. Registered User regular
    Darting decisively past the goblin and into the underbrush, Brinna becomes a veritable whirlwind of blows, lashing out with hands and feet and a skilfully wielded cudgel. One of the ambushers manages to avoid her attacks with curious ease, but the other warrior is pummelled quite thoroughly, by someone his size no less, leaving him just the tiniest bit unsteady on his feet!

Actions.
    Move: D9->C6, risking the OA. (AC 21 against it thanks to being a halfling!)
    Standard: Nat. 1 on Goblin Warrior #2, but Goblin Warrior #1 is hit for 9 damage.
    No action: Iron Soul Flurry of Blows on Goblin Warrior #1, who takes 6 damage and can't shift until the start of Brinna's next turn.

Up next: Cognast!

Did I do everything right? :s

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Cognast spins the scythe about in his hands and the weapon takes on a faint shimmer as he hustles past Cassandra and toward the goblins, standing off to get a good shot. He slashes through the air with the scythe, sending twin bolts of radiance at the goblins, which sadly swing wide, burning into the forest and brush around the goblins. He grips the scythe more tightly and lets out a yell of frustration, charging the nearest goblin ferociously. Unfortunately, his fury is greater than his poise and his feet get tangled in the brush, so the goblin ducks easily beneath the haphazard swipe. He casts a glance at Brinna and Hohenvar apologetically. "Cassandra? Some weird magic would be greatly appreciated!"
    Move: D10 -> A10, sliding past Rhogar
    Minor: Activate Defender Aura. By end of turn, Goblins 1 and 2 will take a -2 penalty to attack creatures that are not me and are subject to Righteous Radiance if they do so or shift.
    Standard: 6 and 8 against the Goblins because Hand of Radiance failed me woefully.
    Free: Spend Action Point.
    Additional Action: Chaaaarge! to B8!: 1d20+5 11 well bollocks.
    Opportunity Action: If either goblin within my defender aura (both) shifts or makes attacks that don't include me, they take 6 Radiant Damage from Righteous Radiance.
    Opportunity Attack, if necessary, from any Goblin decides to move without shifting to avoid the auto-damage.
    Opportunity Attack: 1d20+5 20 2d4+3 7 Well that will get 'em.

(free action: feel shame.)

Up Next: Hobgoblin Arhcer!

srboyceboat on
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    As the group of you begin to surround the goblins a arrow flies from the trees across the pond and hits Rhogar in the shoulder. The hobgoblin that you had all seen moved out of his hiding spot and went to stand by the pond, as it ran there he yelled something in goblin towards the trees where you all see a tiny goblin with a shortbow hiding. The hobgoblin continues to yell at the goblin before refocusing on the battle, drawing his longbow and letting loose an arrow at Brinna, which fortunately misses the halfling as the treeline around her provided ample cover.
    Actions
    Attack of opportunity against Brinna misses
    Goblin Sniper reveals and attacks Rhogar for 4 damage
    Hobgoblin Archer moves to J7 and attacks Brinna but misses terribly
    Map
    Combat1-3.png
    Status
    Goblin Warrior 1 HP: 14/29 AC:17 FORT:13 REF:15 WILL:12
    @C7 Status: Bloodied, in Defenders Aura, Cannot shift until start if Brinnas next turn

@B7 Status: Normal

@C6 Status: Normal

@B8 Status: Normal

Goblin Sniper HP: 1 AC:13 FORT:12 REF:14 WILL:12
    @L4 Status: Normal

@J7 Status: Normal

Rhogar HP:26/30 AC: 17 Fort: 14 Reflex: 12 Will: 14 AP: 1

@J10 Status: Normal

@C9 Status: Normal

UP NEXT RHOGAR; FOLLOWED BY GUARD DRAKE

lodwilk on
  • Options
    Rhogar grunts and pries the arrow out of his shoulder. "I trust you two have this?" he turns towards Cassandra and Hohenvar. Before getting a response, he is already halfway into the shape of a ferocious panther, slinking around the edge of the forest, eying the drake.
    "A child of a dragon, if even a dragon at all." he snickered silently to himself, as he stalked along the forests edge. He sized up the drake, and made a running charge. The beast seemed prepared, however, and quickly darted aside as Rhogar swung at air.
    What a great start to the encounter.
    Minor: Wild Shape
    Move: From C10 to G13
    Standard: Charge/Pouncing Guard drake
    Pounce vs Reflex: 1d20+3 6 1d8+3 9
    Woo.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Rhogar charges the drake but failed to land a blow, he begins to rethink his strategy though when he notices a hobgoblin carry a whip hiding behind a tree right next to the lizard. This hobgoblin is larger then the archer by the pond and wields a vicious looking whip in one hand and a war pick in the other. With a vicious grin the hobgoblin lashes out with his whip trying to entangle Rhogars legs and trip him, the dragonborn manages to nimbly dodge the hobgoblins whip as well as the snapping jaws of the guard drake.

Actions
    Hobgoblin Beastmaster reveals at attacks Rhogar but misses
    Guard Drake attacks Rhogar but [url=misses as well[/url]
    Map
    Combat1-4.png
    Status
    Goblin Blackblade HP: 25/25 AC:16 FORT:12 REF:14 WILL:11
    @? Status:Hidden

@C7 Status: Bloodied, in Defenders Aura, Cannot shift until start if Brinnas next turn

@B7 Status: Normal, in Defenders Aura

@I10 Status: Normal

Hobgoblin Beastmaster HP: 47 AC:17 FORT:17 REF:15 WILL:15
    @J11 Status: Normal

@J10 Status:Beast form

@C9 Status: Resist 5 Physchic

UP NEXT CASSANDRA; FOLLOWED BY HOHENVAR

lodwilk on
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Cassandra fumbles to put Frankie down and picks up her staff. Feeling confident in her abilities, she conjures a ball of magic and tosses it a couple feet in the air, squares with both hands on the staff, and then swings the staff, striking the ball firmly and sending it hurtling toward the Archer. The ball strikes true, and....his skin turns slightly orange. though he seems otherwise unaffected.

Sometimes chaos is a cruel mistress...
    Standard: Chaos Bolt vs Goblin Archer's WILL (13) (1d20+5=12, 1d10+8=17) Missed by 1, dammit.
    Free-> Chaos Burst: Cassandra's first attack roll was odd: Cassandra gets +1 AC until EoNT
    Move: Shift to B9
    Contingency: Reroll any critical hits against Cassandra or hits that will drop her below 0 HP using Second Chance.

UP NEXT: HOHENVAR

El Skid on
  • Options
    Hohenvar grit his teeth as the blade slashed across his arm. Although it was just a mere graze the sensation of steel cutting into his bark-like skin was less-than-pleasurable. Lunging forward he slashes out with his sword at the first Goblin Warrior only to have the foul creature dodge that particular blow. Wildly slashing again Hohenvar only misses by an inch before his swings land his weapons into completely thin air.
    Standard: Whirling Rend vs. Goblin Warrior 1's AC: 1d20+7=9
    Free: Spend Action Point
    Additional: And I missed again son of a

UP NEXT: GOBLIN BLACKBLADE

• Options
    Round 2

Cassandra sends a bolt of chaotic energy towards the goblin archer, but the tiny villain only seems to be mildly disturbed by the psychic energy being channeled towards his mind. He does seem slightly amused at being orange now though. Hohenvar becomes a dervish flurry of steel, and though an impressive sight, proved to be rather ineffective as it missed the two goblins before him. The treeine behind Cassandra erupts as a short sword wielding goblin slashes at her, cutting a large gash across her back. The two surronded goblins see Cognast in his bright shiny armor, and massive schythe and decide he is their biggest threat. They both lunge at him with their spears, with one of the successfully grazing the warrior.

Actions
    Goblin Blackblade comes out of hiding and attacks Cassandra hitting her for 12 damage
    Goblin Warrior 1 attacks Cognast and misses
    Goblin Warrior 2 does the same and hits Cognast for 7 Damage
    Map
    Combat1-5.png
    Status
    Goblin Blackblade HP: 25/25 AC:16 FORT:12 REF:14 WILL:11
    @B10 Status:Normal

@C7 Status: Bloodied, in Defenders Aura

@B7 Status: Normal, in Defenders Aura

Cognast HP:19/26 AC: 19 Fort: 13 Reflex: 10 Will: 15 AP:1

Cassandra HP: 13/25 AC: 14 Fort: 11 Reflex: 14 Will: 16 AP:1
    @B9 Status: Resist 5 Physchic, +1 to AC until end of her next turn

[/quote]

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Still the halfling tries to rid the world of the goblinoid ambushers, and still one of them dodges her punches and kicks uncannily well while its companion absorbs the brunt of Brinna's measured fury, leaving it on the very brink of death. Its monkish assailant however, noticing that Cassandra is in some peril and feeling the need to change things up somewhat, pads swiftly past these two and, coming up next to the rogue, delivers a single, fierce kick to its diaphragm that sends the goblin stumbling right into Cognast's nimbus of divine wrath!

Actions.
    Standard: Five Storms on the goblin warriors, again missing #2 and hitting #1 for 6 damage.
    No action: Iron Soul Flurry of Blows on Goblin Warrior #1, who takes 6 damage and can't shift until the start of Brinna's next turn.
    Move: C6->C11 via D10.
    Action point for Standard: Crane's Wings on Goblin Blackblade hits for 6 damage, and he's pushed into C9.
    Second Chance.
    Use this to force an attacker to reroll a successful attack against Brinna if she's at 18 or less hit points when hit.

MMAgCh on
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    As the goblins crowd around, Cognast sizes up the only one who hasn't been struck solidly yet, winging his scythe through the air, but the goblin's blade intersects and deflects it. His eyes narrow as he glances toward Cassandra and murmurs a slight curse under his breath. Oddly, the holy symbol around his neck appears to glow in response. "Well, that could have turned out better. Take heart, Cassandra. Your magic, weird as it is, has Ioun's blessing to finish these little buggers off." He glances at Hohenvar and jerks his head at the wounded goblin. "Not that Ioun is anything but fine with your blades cutting him in half, as well. Divine blessings all around."
    Seriously. What the hell. A 7? I have a 45% chance to hit these dudes and I roll a 7?
    Standard Action: Healing Strike against Goblin 2: 1d20+5 12 4d4+3 14
    Minor Action: Healing Word on Cassandra: She regains 6 + 1 = 7 HP for the love of...
    The good news is that she's also got a +2 to hit until the end of her next turn. So bring the pain, if you please.
    Move: None.

Conditionals:
    Shield of Devotion if anyone hits Cassandra or Hohenvar/Rook, though I doubt they will, because I'm gonna get wailed on this round. They will be healed for 3.
    Righteous Radiance: if any Goblin adjacent to me so much as thinks about shifting or attack anyone but me at any time they take 6 auto damage. Once per turn, anyway.
    I will take any and all opportunity attacks if they move without shifting, but I don't see that happening.

Damage was great on healing strike. For all the good that did me.

Up Next: Rhogar gets Pin-Cushioned by Goblin Shooters!

srboyceboat on
  • Options
    Round 2
    The goblin archer seems keen on following it's larger brothers orders and maintains his fire on the fast moving Brinna.The arrow just hits her as she hits the goblin blackblade. The other hobgoblin yells a question to the hobgoblin by the guard drake, who simply barks back an order before refocusing on Rhogar. The hobgoblin archer then continues to attack Brinna as well, though his arrow only manages to hit a tree between him and the halfling.

Actions
    Goblin Sniper shoots at Brinna and Hits for 4 damage
    Hobgoblin Archer shoots at Brinna but she is saved by being in cover
    Map
    Combat1-6.png
    Status
    Goblin Blackblade HP: 19/25 AC:16 FORT:12 REF:14 WILL:11
    @C9 Status:Normal

Goblin Warrior 1 HP: 2/29 AC:17 FORT:13 REF:15 WILL:12
    @C7 Status: Bloodied, in Defenders Aura, cannot shift until start of Brinnas next turn

@B7 Status: Normal, in Defenders Aura, cover

Brinna HP:26/30 AC: 19 Fort: 15 Reflex: 15 Will: 12 AP:0
    @C11 Status: Cover

@B8 Status: Cover

Cassandra HP: 20/25 AC: 14 Fort: 11 Reflex: 14 Will: 16 AP:1
    @B9 Status: Resist 5 Physchic, +1 to AC until end of her next turn, +2 to hit until end of her next turn.

UP NEXT RHOGAR; FOLLOWED BY HOBGOBLIN BEASTMASTER

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Rhogar snarled and pulled back, "Friends!? Ugh, why did I not smell them. Get your head in the game, Rho...". With a quick maneuver, he darted out of range of the snapping jaws of the drake, and tore off towards the Blackblade, regrouping with his allies in the process. He pounced, claws outstretched, the nasty little beast barely darting out of the way. Rhogar was not done, however, feeling a familiar catch in his throat. He took a deep breath, and expelled a blast of burning acid over the goblins (and his allies). His allies, however, did not seem at all injured by the spray of acid. In fact, they seemed a bit more full of vim and vigor.
    Whiffed my pounce, but shifted to H10, then charged to C10 for the Pounce attack.
    Pounce vs Reflex vs Blackblade: 1d20+3 11 1d8+3 9

Then used my Dragons' Breath on Cognast, Brinna, Hoenvar, Goblin Blackblade, and both Goblin Warriors. Goblin Warrior 1 is dead. My allies don't get hurt, but instead gain +1 to attack rolls until the end of my next turn thanks to Bolstering Breath.
    Dragon Breath vs Reflex: 1d20+5 19 1d6+3 4
    Dragon Breath vs Reflex: 1d20+5 14 1d6+3 5 Forgot the +2, so it's 16 vs the Blackblade and hits.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    Round 2

The hobgoblin beastmaster looks rather surprised as Rhogar disengages from him and his drake, only to pounce on the goblin blackblade from behind. Rhogars dragon breath manages to not only kill on of the goblin warriors but injure the other one and the blackblade even further. Seeing the shapeshfting dragonborn as potent threat he moves in on Rhogar and lashes at him with his while the drake charges the dragonborn. Through sheer luck though both attacks miss the acid breathing druid.

Actions
    Hobgoblin Beastmaster moves closer to the group and attacks Rhogar but misses terribly
    Guard Drake charges Rhogar and he misses as well
    Map
    Combat1-7.png
    Status
    Goblin Blackblade HP: 5/25 AC:16 FORT:12 REF:14 WILL:11
    @C9 Status:Bloodied

Goblin Warrior 2 HP: 25/29 AC:17 FORT:13 REF:15 WILL:12

@C11 Status: Cover, +1 to attack rolls until end of Rhogars next turn

@B8 Status: Cover, +1 to attack rolls until Rhogars next turn

@E11 Status: Normal

@D10 Status:Beast form

@C8 Status: Normal, +1 to attack rolls until end of Rhogars next turn

@B9 Status: Resist 5 Physchic, +1 to AC until end of her next turn, +2 to hit until end of her next turn.

UP NEXT CASSANDRA; FOLLOWED BY HOHENVAR

• Options
    edited September 2011
    With a glint of green in his eye and a quick apologetic nod to the druid, whose response is one of cnfusion yet dread, Hohenvar unleashes a hurrican of flurried slashes. Spinning clockwise the Wilden becomes a blur of viridian, ochre, ebony and menacing steel. Although he clips Rhogar, his efforts are rewarded with the comforting heft and sound of both sword and axe eviscerating flesh. As the Blackblade falls to the ground in a bloody heap, his gaping chest wound painting a macabre expression of satisfaction on the barbarian's face, Hohenvar gives a rare but disturbing chuckle before leaping ahead and delivering an additional glancing slash to the Guard Drake.
    Move: Shift from C8 to D9

Standard: Attacking the Goblin Blackblade, Rhogar and the Guard Drake
    Whirling Frenzy vs. Reflex: (I forgot to add my attack bonus, but that's an easy fix) 1d20+7+3= 22
    1d20+7+1= 25
    1d20+7+1= 26

Damage:
    Whirling Frenzy: 2d10+4= 11

Free Action:
    Whirling Lunge against the Guard Drake: Shift from D9 to E10 and 1d10= 2

Finally! Oh uh, sorry Rho...jeez Orokos just doesn't like d10s, eh?

UP NEXT CASSANDRA

Gatsby on
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Cassandra points her staff at the far-off goblin archer sitting in the woods, and a bolt of raw magic sped into him. Nothing happened at first, and the goblin seemed ready to laugh the attack off as his friend with the orange skin had done.

...and then his gear fell to the ground with an empty thunk, and a squirrel peered out of one of the arm holes. Cassandra retreated into the forest with a smile of triumph, Frankie gripping her leg as he stuck his tongue out at the nearby Goblin warrior.
    Standard: Chaos bolt vs goblin Archer's Will (12+2): 1d20+5 18 1d10+8 13 damage. Dead Archer. Roll was odd, so Cassandra gets +1 AC until EoNT again. Also, no secondary attack, which is a shame.
    Move: Shift into the forest at A8
    Same contingency as before- reroll crits and blows that would knock Cassandra unconcious

El Skid on
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Round 3

The lone remaining goblin looks slightly disturbed at the carnage that Hohenvar had just caused and for a moment looked ready to retreat. Then his tiny little eyes saw that the hobgoblin leader was still in the thick of things and the goblin tried to stab at Cognast with his spear only managing to scrape his armor.

Actions
    Goblin warrior attacks Cognast and fails
    Map
    Combat1-8.png
    Status

Goblin Warrior 2 HP: 25/29 AC:17 FORT:13 REF:15 WILL:12

Rhogar HP:15/30 AC: 17 Fort: 14 Reflex: 12 Will: 14 AP: 1
    @C10 Status:Bloodied (+1 to attack rolls)

Guard Drake HP: 35/48 AC:15 FORT:15 REF:13 WILL:12
    @D10 Status:Beast form

@D10 Status: Normal, +1 to attack rolls until end of Rhogars next turn

@A8 Status: Resist 5 Physchic, +1 to AC until end of her next turn

lodwilk on
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Brushing her finger across the minor arrow wound in her arm with an expression of distaste, Brinna shoots a frown in the direction of the goblin responsible, but it is taken care of by Cassandra before she can avenge herself. Instead, the monk leaps deftly atop the cart and closes her eyes, a look of intense concentration on her face – and when, a moment later, she slams her fists together with a shout, a wave of psionic force explodes forth from the halfling, harmlessly spilling over her companions like an immaterial wave and glancing almost as harmlessly off the two nearby goblinoids; their pet drake, on the other hand, absorbs the full impact of Brinna's attack and is battered quite badly, something compounded further when she sharply cracks her club against one of its forelegs, briefly impeding the beast's ability to move effortlessly around.

With her enemies suitably thrashed, Brinna then settles into a low stance, her bare feet planted well apart, slightly bent arms slowly moving as through tracing tiny circles in the air. It is the Spiral Stance, the rarest and hardest technique Kargg taught her, and having used the sweeping attack that must precede it for the first time in an actual fight, as well as maintaining the actual stance now, the halfling can see why this technique is considered so difficult, for the effort and concentration it requires are nothing short of exhausting, even for her hardy self.

Actions.
    Move: Five Storms movement technique to shift C11->C9.
    Standard: Masterful Spiral hits the guard drake for 23 damage, while the goblin warrior and hobgoblin beastmaster take 11 damage each from the miss. Effect: Brinna assumes the spiral stance, and her reach with melee touch attacks increases by 1 until the end of the encounter.
    No action: Iron Soul Flurry of Blows on Guard Drake, which takes 6 damage and can't shift until the start of Brinna's next turn.
    Second Chance.
    Use this to force an attacker to reroll a successful attack against Brinna if she's at 18 or less hit points when hit.

MMAgCh on
  • Options
    Cognast levels another swing at the remaining goblin warrior, disappointed as the creatures moves its blade to intercept his scythe yet again. As Brinna's wave of fury engulfs the creatures, he strikes upon a thought, half-turning to Rhogar. His holy symbol glows once more, but this time, his voice takes on a somewhat melodic quality. "Rhogar, pull a two-step and lets group up the goblinkind for some more focused fury."
    Standard: Strike of Hope vs. Goblin who am I kidding it missed
    Minor: Majestic Word on Rhogar, who spends a healing surge +3 (10) and I slide him one square to C10 or D9 if C10 is not legal because of difficult terrain
    (the idea being you can loop around behind me or next to me and pull the drake into my aura)
    Move -> Minor: Feel Disappointment at inability to hit. Apparently +5 is not enough. Should have built pure strength.

Same Conditionals As Before for Righteous Radiance.
    Shield of Devotion on anyone in range (5) who takes more than 5 points of damage, which will effectively reduce that damage by 3. It actually heals them for 3, but I don't think anyone triggers anything off of being healed.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Round 3

Seeing the chaos that he had just caused, as well as being the closest target the Hobgoblin Archer lets loose an arrow at Hohenvar which manages to hit the wilden in the back of his shoulder. The hobgoblin lets loose a cry of victory and turns to where his goblin companion was standing, only to be disappointed upon seeing its corpse on the ground.

Actions
    Hobgoblin Archer shoots Hohenvar and and hits for 12 damage
    Map
    Combat1-9.png
    Status

Goblin Warrior 2 HP: 14/29 AC:17 FORT:13 REF:15 WILL:12
    @B7 Status: Bloodied, in Defenders Aura, cover

Rhogar HP:25/30 AC: 17 Fort: 14 Reflex: 12 Will: 14 AP: 1
    @C10 Status: (+1 to attack rolls)

Hobgoblin Beastmaster HP: 36/47 AC:17 FORT:17 REF:15 WILL:15

Guard Drake HP: 6/48 AC:15 FORT:15 REF:13 WILL:12
    @D10 Status:Bloodied

Hohenvar HP: 10/27 AC: 16 Fort: 16 Reflex: 14 Will: 11 AP 1
    @D10 Status: Bloodied, +1 to attack rolls until end of Rhogars next turn

UP NEXT RHOGAR; FOLLOWED BY HOBGOBLIN BEASTMASTER

lodwilk on
  • Options
    Once again, Rhogar stepped back, and narrowed his focus on the drake. Surprising no one, the drake yet again seemed unphased, unannoyed, and completely unharmed.
    Moving to A-9.
    Cull the Herd vs Will: 1d20+3 8 2d8+3 10
    Shock, awe, it's yet another miss.
    So what's that, 2 hits for us across 3 rounds?
    Awesome.
    That's gonna be fun when we inevitably have to roll death saves and all get 3s because Orokos decided it's afraid of numbers higher than 10.

• Options
    Round 3
    The hobgoblin beastmaster lashes out with his whip at Brinna, but he instead manages to latch around an overhanging branch above the halfling. The guard drake, being rather annoyed with Hohenvar takes a massive bite out of the wilden, who drops to the ground unconscious from a mix of pain and blood(sap?) loss.

Actions
    Hobgoblin Beastmaster attacks Brinna and gets his second natural 1 this encounter
    Guard Drake attacks Hohenvar and hits for 13 damage and the drake gains 5 thp
    Map
    Combat1-10.png
    Status

@C11 Status: Cover,

@B8 Status: Cover,

@C10 Status:

Hobgoblin Beastmaster HP: 36/47 AC:17 FORT:17 REF:15 WILL:15

Guard Drake HP: 6(+5)/48 AC:15 FORT:15 REF:13 WILL:12

Hohenvar HP: -3/27 AC: 16 Fort: 16 Reflex: 14 Will: 11 AP 1
    @D10 Status: Unconscious

UP NEXT HOHENVAR; FOLLOWED BY CASSANDRA

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Cognast hears a rending tear of cracking branches and takes a second to realize, looking over his shoulder, that it's the drake mauling his new barbarian ally. He watches the remaining goblinoid next to him for a window to disengage safely and turns his mind toward getting the attention of the drake and its master. "Hohenvar, hang on! I'm on my way."
    Shield of Devotion on Hohenvar, who heals for 3 hitpoints.

srboyceboat on
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    As the Wilden whips around he blades drawn, in a glimpse of horror the Guard Drake lunges forward. Before he can even throw up his weapons in defence the gaping maw of the beast is already too close. Closing his eyes, preparing himself for the full brunt of the attack he's thrown back half a step and falls to one knee. Cracking open one eye he sees the Drake land back with a resounding thump, unscathed but perturbed. Looking down there are miraculously no wounds, however his entire body feels drained. It's then that he peers to his left and sees Cognast, hand outstretched, using all his power to manifest a radiant shield before himself.

Not missing a single beat the barbarian reaches into his pack and pulls out his last healing potion. The crimson liquid pours down his throat and in but a moment's lifetime a surge of energy courses through him. Still wounded and struggling to his feet, he readies both his axe and bastard sword. Summoning the last vestiges of his reserves, the Wilden gives a rare yet terrifying sneer. In a rush he's already lunged forward. Not at the Drake, however, but at the Beastmaster. Axe and sword come crashing down as he buries both his weapons into the Hobgoblin's shoulder and side with a sickening thump. Wrenching the blades out Hohenvar then deftly moves back, the gust of wind from this series of sudden movement resembling a faint yet twisted laughter.

"Is that all you've got?" He taunts, arms outstretched in a foolishly derisive manner. "I look forward to wearing your beast's teeth and claws as my trophies, then!"

Minor Action: Use 1xPotion of Healing and regain 10 HP

Standard Action: Thunder Hooves Rage vs. Hobgoblin Beastmaster's AC: 1d20+7=24
    Damage: 3d10+4=24

Move Action: Shift back one square to F9

And thank you so much @lodwilk you are the best!

OKAY ALL DONE WOO UP NEXT CASSANDRA WHO'S ALREADY GONE SO TIME FOR THE DM

Gatsby on
  • Options
    That archer is going to be a problem thought Cassandra. Steeling herself, she looked deep within herself and drew as much magic as she could, and flung it through her staff at the archer. As the magic left her, she felt suddenly drained, but the effect was...spectacular. Where the archer had stood moments before the top foot of earth had been scooped out and was steaming- he had been obliterated. Even the beastmaster standing several feet away took the edge of the magical energy, singing his hair and apparently making him just a bit more angry...
    Move: Shift to B9
    Standard: Dazzling Ray vs Hobgoblin Archer's Will (13): 1d20+5 22 6d6+8 28 damage. ODD roll- +1 AC until EoNT
    Action Point! Chaos Bolt vs Hobgoblin Archer's Will (13): 1d20+5 13 1d10+8 13 HIT for 13 damage, archer is dead! Even roll hit so... SECONDARY ATTACK!
    Chaos Bolt Secondary vs Beastmaster's Will (15): 1d20+5 18 1d6+4 9 HIT for 9 damage.

NEXT UP: GM TO DECIDE ON GATSBY's ROLL, THEN HE CAN GO NUTS.

• Options
    Round 4
    The goblin warrior looked uneasy at the scene of all his falling comrades, clearly this ambush wasn't going as well as any previous ones. The presence of the heavily armored, scythe wielding Cognast was enough to keep the goblins attention on the knight. With a quick and sudden stab, the goblins spear manages to find a weak spot in the knights armor, piercing it and stabbed him just below the ribs.

Actions
    Goblin warrior attacks Cognast and crits for 10 damage
    Map
    Combat1-11.png
    Status

@C11 Status: Cover,

Cognast HP:9/26 AC: 19 Fort: 13 Reflex: 10 Will: 15 AP:1
    @B8 Status: Cover,

@C10 Status:

Hobgoblin Beastmaster HP: 3/47 AC:17 FORT:17 REF:15 WILL:15
    @E11 Status: Bloodied

Guard Drake HP: 6(+5)/48 AC:15 FORT:15 REF:13 WILL:12

Hohenvar HP: 13/27 AC: 16 Fort: 16 Reflex: 14 Will: 11 AP 1
    @F9 Status: Boodied

Cassandra HP: 20/25 AC: 14 Fort: 11 Reflex: 14 Will: 16 AP:0
    @B9 Status: Resist 5 Physchic, +1 to AC until end of her next turn

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Brinna grunts with mild disapproval to see so many of her allies very nearly fold beneath the modest battering they're receiving. Feeling determined, she leaps nimbly down from their cart again into the midst of the drake and its hobgoblin minder before exploding into fierce motion again, and while the reptile is not yet gone far enough to succumb to her assault, its master isn't so lucky – a prodigious leap allows the halfling to slam her heel into the hobgoblin's face, driving the bridge of his nose into his brain with a sickly crack and dropping him like a sack of bricks; on the way down, she smashes her club into the drake's neck, a blow that fails to kill the animal despite Brinna's hoping otherwise.

Still, the martial artist muses as she looks around, those of the ambush party that remain clearly aren't doing so well; she and her companions should be able to finish them off soon enough.

Actions.
    Move: Five Storms movement technique to shift C9->E10.
    Standard: Five Storms misses the guard drake and hits the beastmaster for 7 damage, killing him.
    No action: Iron Soul Flurry of Blows on Guard Drake, which takes 6 damage and can't shift until the start of Brinna's next turn.
    Second Chance.

MMAgCh on
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Cognast is continually befuddled by this goblin - all of his training, all of his time learning how to fight, how to defend himself and others seems absolutely pointless. The goblin keeps skittering around beneath his slashing blade as though he was a great lumbering beast that had sent post in advance to the goblin advising it of every way to dodge his attacks.
    Standard: It's getting ridiculous vs AC: 1d20+6 10 2d4+3 10 awesomeorokosthiswentsuperwell.
    Move -> Minor: Feel great rage. But Also Second Wind as a minor action to regain 6 hitpoints. Now back to 15, so no longer bloodied and +2 to defenses until EoNT
    Minor: Reconsider life choices.

Up next: Ruh-rho Rhogar. Maybe you can finally hit these dudes.

srboyceboat on
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Rhogar shifts out of his beast form, continues to snarl at the drake.
    "Enough games! Clearly what my claws cannot finish, then I shall have to bring nature's own fury into the fray! Spirits of Swift Lightning, punish the beasts laziness!"
    The air around the beastmaster crackled ominously as nothing seemed to happen...but just as Rhogar began to curse his luck, a bolt of searing lightning broke the tension, cracking through the air and incinerating the drake.
    "FINALL-I mean...Thank you, great goddess Melora, your blessing will not go unappreciated."
    FINALLY. Christ, I like Invisible Castle more already.
    Storm Spike vs Reflex 1d20+3=15, 1d8+3=6 on Guard Drake. Little fucker is almost dead finally.
    Ending by moving to C10. He either attacks me and fries, or provokes an AoO and potentially dies.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Eyeing the barely standing Guard Drake, Hohenvar takes a sudden step forward as a taunt. The beast stumbles a moment before the Wilden gives a howling wind of a laugh before spitting at the Drake's feet.

"You're not worth it," is all he says, cocking his head to the beast's former master. Giving a flick of his sword a mock salute the barbarian turns his attention back towards the Goblin situation. "Now there's something for me to sink into."

In a tactical burst of speed Hohenvar sidles up behind the distracted warrior. He gives a knowing nod to the Knight before letting the rage that is coursing through his veins flow freely. Eyes widen, turning a faint shade of vermillion in the glinting sunlight, bark-like skin strains against muscle as each limb readies itself for an unprecedented terrifying blur of steel. Digging his feet into the ground for added stability before launching off towards the hapless Goblin, flipping his battleaxe to a backhanded position the Wilden snarls and gives a quick snapp of a call.

"Hey! Idiot!" Pushing off with all his might the barbarian lunges forward as the warrior whips its head around to see his would-be assailant. In a moment of unseen gracefulness Hohenvar stops mere inches short of the Goblin, before whipping around. His axe slashes the warrior's shoulder, then bringing it around the bastard sword slices across his abdomen. With one final howl Hohenvar gives one more spin as his axe once again cuts clean across the Goblin's throat. Using his remaining strength he then pushes away and off to the side, in a crouched stance, as behind him the last humanoid falls dead.

Move action: F9 to B6

Standard Action: Pressing Strike vs. Goblin Warrior's AC: 1d20+7+2=21
    Move: Shift two squares from B6, to B7, to C7
    Damage: 1d10+4+1d10 (Thunder Hoove's Rage)+1d6 (Rage)=18

Okay, that's the Goblin Warrior gone! Woo! I think I might start using Invisible Castle from here on out :D

Gatsby on
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Satisfied - finally - that the battle is over, Cognast plants his scythe firmly into the ground and surveys his companions. "Everyone alright? Let's take a quick breather and scout the surrounding woods. Best if we proceed cautiously. These few were probably members of a larger raiding party, but it's hard to say with goblinoids." He winces as he shifts to one side, inspecting one of the wounds the warrior managed to score across his side. Tearing a bit of his cloak loose, Cognast - with some difficulty - works the makeshift bandage under his armor to tie the wound off.

He makes his way to Hohenvar, cautiously placing a hand on the enraged wilden's shoulders, attempting to calm him. The fey creature, still dripping dull green fluid from several wounds, appears to come to his senses. "Hohenvar, we've got at least a day's travel ahead of us. Might not be a bad idea to avoid playing chew toy with the next drake we see, eh?" He quips, tossing the barbarian a wink as he attempts to inspect his ally's wound. "It's not as bad as all that." He turns to Rhogar. "You two would know these wilds best, I'd guess. Feel up to poking around the bush for a few minutes, make sure we're secure?"

Cognast suddenly gets the bizarre sensation like he's being watched. His eyes narrow, making sure that the rest of the group can see his alarm, but keeping his back to the majority of the woods. He focuses in, listening for any rustling or oddness in the forest around them.

srboyceboat on
  • Options
    Rhogar grabbed his spear, fastening it on his back, "Well, the last time I went poking about the bushes I got my tail handed to me," he chuckled weakly, "But sure, Cognast. I'll gladly have a sniff around," Taking the shape of a wolf, he sniffed here and there, poking his snout in and out of bushes, knotholes, and the like.
    Gonna take 10, for a total of 20. I figure taking 10 is appropriate since we're out of combat and he's done this a million times before.

I mean, I risk rolling 11 or higher, but I'm not risking a 9 or lower either! And with the way Orokos has been acting, I'd probably roll a 4 on a DC15

• Options
    Hohenvar appreciatively nods at Cognast, taking in deep breaths as he sidles over to a nearby tree. Falling back against it with content he slowly comes to sit by it, crossed legged with his weapons crossed before him. As he collects his wits, eyes closed and breathing at an even pace, the Wilden begins to drift off in a strangely focused yet distant and aimless state. Despite the itch of his wounds, the steady drip of Fey blood creating tiny puddles around his form as well as falling along the cracks and scars in his skin, Hohenvar is able to pick out something.

Ears prick and a general feeling catches his attention, it's sudden as if something has just exhaled after holding a long breath. But it doesn't just seem like it's one thing, almost like it could be multiple sources all at once. Unfortunately the barbarian has found himself never too close to these woods before or even the surrounding area. His muscles tense and his teeth grit though, as he calls out to the Knight and the rest of the group.

"I can't pinpoint anything from here," he says slowly, each word deliberate as he keeps his eyes closed. "There is something though. I know it. I suggest we have a look around."

Perception check: 1d20+6=24

• Options
    As Hohenvar enters a trance to calm himself down, his keen ears pick up the sound of shuffling amongst the foliage past the pond; at the same time Rhogar picks up a scent from the same direction, a bitter odour reminding him of sweat. The dragonborn in wolf form, and the knight go towards the source of the sound and the smell, clearing away quickly made cover to reveal four bound people.

There laying on the ground were three humans, two males and one female, as well as a male elf. Each of them looked severely battered and bruised as well as having their feet and hands bound together with a single piece of rope interwoven in all of the bindings on their hands. They looked in horror at the wolf before Cognast emerged behind a tree, his armour and sigils bringing a sign of relief to the captives.

The elf was the first to speak, "Oh thank the gods that you've found us, when we heard the fighting we feared those goblinoids had captured another group of travellers. I see that your warhound and yourself were not as easily beaten though. Please release good sir, we are simple travellers from the town of Millhaven."

• Options
    "My warh-Oh. Oh, ha!" He begins to laugh heartily, rustling the fur on Rhogar's head. "My warhound. Yes. Of course." He surreptitiously tosses a wink at Rhogar, hoping the druid might play along. "I apologize if he startled you. I imagine that, after what you folks have been through, you might want to avoid too much of a shock. The goblins are dealt with, for now. But introductions first. The hound is Rhogar, and he's a friendly sort. Most of the time. I am Sir Cognast re'Iouni of the Order Bellum-Iouni. Are you physically well? Do you need medical assistance?" He draws his canteen and stoops down to their height, catching Rhogar's eye and jerking his head back in the direction of the cart, hoping the druid can brief the rest of the group on what's been found. He wants to appear as nonthreatening as possible to these people.

He does not, however, untie them immediately. He wants to get a few questions in while they've less inclination to lie.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Rhogar resists the urge to mutter to himself, and simple decides to play along. With a bark and a pant, he dashes off towards the cart.
    He bounded around the trees yet again, familiarizing himself with his new canine form. He had planned to use it a lot, he might as well get used to the feel. He kept his nose to the air, however, picking up the familiar scents.
    "Oh dear god," he nearly gagged, "this is the worst thing ever. Eugh, gonna have to get used to this new sense of smell after battle."
    He approached the wagon, taking note of everyones smells.
    "Baby powder, leaves, magic, sweat...a wonderful array of aromas." he grumbled, no doubt drawing some stares, "Oh. Right. I can talk in beast form. Come on, Cognast found some people. And an elf."
    He jerked his head back towards the encampment, "And no mention of my being a Druid. Cognast seems to have something planned about me being a warhound."
    He returned to the ground and darted off, leaping over roots and through bushes, barking happily at Cognast and hoping he knew the dog-language of "They're coming", lest he blow his cover.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    The halfling looks almost disappointed when the last of the ambushers falls dead. "Weak," she mutters, regarding the tear in her shirt where the arrow nicked her, and circles around the clearing to ensure all of the goblinoids have well and truly passed on. Afterwards, Brinna has just arrived at the cart again when Rhogar appears bearing word of the captives; giving her currently canine companion a look, she wipes her brow with her sleeve and pads after him, sliding her club through her sash again, slightly bothered that she'll have to sew up the small tear in her shirt, something she is really rather bad at.

She regards the prisoners briefly, then quizzically raises an eyebrow at Cognast, slightly puzzled why he isn't hastening to untie them. Isn't that what a member of an order like his would do? The monk guesses that he doesn't really trust these people for some reason, what with keeping Rhogar's identity from them as well. Brinna won't presume to understand why – these folk have obviously been beaten quite badly, and she feels confident enough she could take on the lot of them (minus the ropes, of course) herself. "Who're you people, then?" she asks anyway, having missed what introductions there might've been. "The gobs are dead. Bunch of them, at least. Any of you know how many there were?" Brinna is itching to untie them, and will probably move to do just that unless a good reason for not doing so surfaces quite soon.