As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[East] PAX East 2012 Costumes

• Options
    TdarTURboTdarTURbo Registered User regular
    If anyone is dressed as a Ezio or an Assassin I will give you over 1,000 pennies to just toss at the crowd.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    I don't think I'm going to rock the full out costume this year, but I'll probably pack my helmet and gun arm for the night of the concert. I've worn it to the last few PAX and I haven't done much work on it since, but here it is:

Gun arm:
    293692_10150341330555190_547810189_9921678_4330790_n.jpg
    294548_10150341330345190_547810189_9921677_7149165_n.jpg
    315931_10150341330755190_547810189_9921681_4089496_n.jpg
    And the Helmet:

Man, my stuff feels super lame in comparison. You absolutely have the best gun-arm I've seen.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    KelsahKelsah Registered User new member
    I will be Alice from American Mcgee's Alice Madness Returns. I'll be sporting her Cheshire dlc outfit.
    Here's a link. It's pretty sick. http://alice.wikia.com/wiki/Cheshire

Btw, I was Fran from FFXII last year if anyone remembers (you know, the tall bunny chick with white hair lol)
    Last year Pax cosplay located quarter way down->http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9074411

• Options
    NewbieniceNewbienice Registered User new member
    Jove wrote:
    You better have the full set, because I expect to walk by you and hear you say the following legendary words "I use to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the knee." :D.

The only thing it looks like I will be missing is the helmet.
    And, as popular as that saying is, I will only be saying that if I see someone dressed as the Dovahkiin.
    I'll probably be trying to say things like "Hands to yourself, sneak thief" if I see someone dressed as Ezio or Altair, or "So you can cast a few spells, am I supposed to be impressed" if I see someone dressed as a magical character.
    Stuff like that.

• Options
    RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    Kelsah wrote:
    I will be Alice from American Mcgee's Alice Madness Returns. I'll be sporting her Cheshire dlc outfit.
    Here's a link. It's pretty sick. http://alice.wikia.com/wiki/Cheshire

Btw, I was Fran from FFXII last year if anyone remembers (you know, the tall bunny chick with white hair lol)
    Last year Pax cosplay located quarter way down->http://www.1up.com/do/blogEntry?bId=9074411

Oh I remember you!! I remember adoring your costume, though the heels looked nasty. (As in, they looked like they hurt up the wazoo. The heels themselves looked fantastic.) Can't wait to see you again this year.

• Options
    TheAsianKnightTheAsianKnight Shinywoopwoop Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I mentioned a while back I was going to do Silver from Pokemon And Sarah Jane Smith from Doctor Who.But I think I'm going to be dropping Sarah Jane,

because I have a whole new project I want to start working on (which is also more video game related)if I can get this done, I'm gonna try and be Miror B from Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness.

For those who don't know him or can't put a finger on him, it's this guy
    MirorB.jpg

My only issues at the moment his ridiculous hair and I'm a lady and he doesn't wear a shirt.
    For that I guess I"m just gonna wear a nude tanktop, so that's fairly easy,

his hair on the other hand is quite the challenge.
    My backup plan is to get a red and white afro wig, I've only found one and it's pretty cheap, but it works.

My plan at the moment is get a big hollow smooth foam ball. (probably 16" because If his hair is too big it will make things difficult and I'd hate to block people with it. so I hope 16" is enough that it's big but not "OH MY GOD I CAN'T SEE OVER YOUR HUGE HAIR OR STAND DIRECTLY NEXT TO YOU!" big) cut out a part to sit on my head, add things to act like side burns and probably something else behind them, so they can hang on to my ears. Paint it red and White, and possibly add pieces of red and white wig hair, or some fuzzy fabric to make it look a little more like hair. I also hope that it is easy to put on and take off so that if it is pretty big, I can take it off and hold it in places like panels or other areas it would be an obstruction to others.

And of course if that fails or looks ridiculous, I'll just wear the small fro wig.

my other challenge is the jacket, I can find purple pants, but not jackets that work. but I'll figure it out.

TheAsianKnight on
    Pax East Check List: Room [X] Registration [X] Pax Pass [X] Pokemon league Gym Leader Team [X]
    Cosplay Check List: WOOPER [X]
    WOOP WOOP!
  • Options
    SvKSvK Registered User regular
    It's supposed to look ridiculous. Make it as ridiculous as possible!

• Options
    TheAsianKnightTheAsianKnight Shinywoopwoop Registered User regular
    SvK wrote:
    It's supposed to look ridiculous. Make it as ridiculous as possible!

Don't worry, it will be ridiculous (in theory)

I'd love to make it ridiculous, and I'll try my best, I just mean ridiculous as in looks terrible. I'd go full on GIANT fro, but that would just inconvenience people, and surprisingly foam balls that big are extremely expensive... and I'm not spending that much money on a foam ball XD

Pax East Check List: Room [X] Registration [X] Pax Pass [X] Pokemon league Gym Leader Team [X]
    Cosplay Check List: WOOPER [X]
    WOOP WOOP!
  • Options
    NervousWhiteDadsNervousWhiteDads Registered User new member
    I'm going as Commander Shepard's favorite store on the Citadel.

• Options
    KingPadsKingPads Registered User regular
    Got the mask pretty close to done, but I can't get the color right, anyone have any suggestions? Admittedly I am pretty bad with colors...
    430081_540071776211_154001138_30743932_1352303412_n.jpg

• Options
    KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    I'm going as Commander Shepard's favorite store on the Citadel.
    Haha! I'd love to see this!

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • Options
    UH WHOOPS

So I bought the PERFECT light blue fabric for my Megaman vest...

... and may have over-shrunk it while pre-washing. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

• Options
    MagicSwordKingMagicSwordKing | (• ◡•)|╯╰(❍ᴥ❍ʋ) PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    I've got Eleventh Doctor and Malcolm Reynolds ready to go, but I really want to finish my King Elessar costume in time for East. I've got the crown and most of the armor done, working on Pauldrons and vambraces, as well as the tunic.

Aperture Safety Personal Observation Tester for Aperture Testing and Observation, Honorary Alphanaut, Grandmaster of the Tychonian Guard, Chronicler of the House of Brahe, Senior Editor for Mustache News, Agent of O.S.P.R.E.Y., PAX COPS Detective Inspector, and PAX Tours Saboteur.

"I think he starts in reality and ends in fantasy."
    "No he starts in fantasy and ends in chaos."
    -Anonymous
  • Options
    UH WHOOPS

... and may have over-shrunk it while pre-washing. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Oh man I hate hate hate when this kind of thing happens. A horrible feeling.

• Options
    ZandiieZandiie Registered User new member
    Im going as Annie from League of Legends, and a trainer from Pokemon Black if i can get it together in time. Any other LoL cosplayers? Id love to try and meet up and get some pictures :)

• Options
    OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
    UH WHOOPS

That is fixable, to some extent. Wet it down, then hang it from something and weight down the bottom. You can re-stretch it to a usable length. My seamstress friend has used this before to save some projects (in particular, Scar's pants from FMA). Of course, you can't wash it or it'll re-shrink, but it's better than nothing.

Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
  • Options
    Turns out I'd actually bought too much fabric anyway due to the instructions I was using being very, very badly written. So while it DID shrink a LOT, it's fine because I've got about a yard more than intended of both types of fabric. :)

• Options
    chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    I am now on track to create Cut the Rope's Om Nom for my East costume.

I figure I can re-use the giant "Feed me candy" sign anytime

• Options
    WolfieeWolfiee Web/Graphic Designer and Illustrator MARegistered User regular
    I can't remember if I posted or not already, but I'll be going one of the days in my infamous Kratos mask, and the other two days in my Chomper costume from PvZ 8D

25966_379606262131_609447131_4289127_2157188_n.jpg

Side-Shot-Horizontal.png

0CsmwYt.jpg
    Badges [ ] Hotel [ ] Complete Pixelist.net [x] Excitement [x]
  • Options
    This seems to be the best place for this. I am looking for a backpack for my Pax essentials. but the tricky part is something that will go with my cosplays. So it's gotta be simplistic, rugged for the Spartan suit, but sleek for the Mass Effect outfits. Looking for minimal pockets, one large main compartment is best.
    Anybody got any ideas? Also looking light on the price tag, under $50 at best.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    So first of all - Everyone is going to look awesome. I just browsed through the photos and I'm sad I won't be able to see any of this at East. Please come to Prime with your awesome costumes!

Second off - I said months ago that I'd try to whip up a photo tutorial on how to deactivate a nerf gun. I'm going to try to get my act together this week and show you guys how to do that. It's pretty simple. All you need is a screw driver, and maybe an Xacto knife.

5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    This seems to be the best place for this. I am looking for a backpack for my Pax essentials. but the tricky part is something that will go with my cosplays. So it's gotta be simplistic, rugged for the Spartan suit, but sleek for the Mass Effect outfits. Looking for minimal pockets, one large main compartment is best.

img_zvoEJV.jpg

• Options
    LinkSmashLinkSmash Registered User regular
    In lieu of the awesome new Avengers trailer, I seriously want to create a quick costume that I can also end up wearing to the premiere. Not sure if I want to dress up in Black Widow garb or any of the other characters. Any suggestions?

• Options
    MajorPixelMajorPixel Registered User new member
    LittleLink wrote:
    First day I will be doing Big Sister from Bioshock 2 with my group consisting of a Delta, and multiple splicers.
    Second day I will be doing Sae from Fatal Frame 2
    Last day I will be Kokiri Link again.

I would reconsider the order of your costumes, since I hear Irrational might be doing a cosplay contest on Saturday this year...

• Options
    LinkSmashLinkSmash Registered User regular
    MajorPixel wrote:
    LittleLink wrote:
    First day I will be doing Big Sister from Bioshock 2 with my group consisting of a Delta, and multiple splicers.

I would reconsider the order of your costumes, since I hear Irrational might be doing a cosplay contest on Saturday this year...

Whoa... Cosplaly contest?! GAH!! The wait for PAX East just became even moreso unbearable!!!!!!

• Options
    MajorPixel wrote:
    LittleLink wrote:

B-but I want to see the Big Sister.... (I can only go friday/saturday because my family likes Easter too much).
    Also, why must the contest be Sunday when it could be on Caturday? Makes more sense to me, as most of the costumes seem to fall on that day.

• Options
    MxWoodMxWood Registered User regular
    I am totally jealous of some of the things you guys can do, and I can't wait to see it all in real life.

• Options
    malicious nerdmalicious nerd NYRegistered User regular
    I'm going to be Keroro from the show Sgt. Frog... :P

PAX East 2012
    3 Day Pass: [x] // Time Off: [x] // Hotel: [x]
    Twitter: @maliciousnerd
    Gamertag: Fr3akyxAssAssIn
  • Options
    manaheimmanaheim Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Hi all. I'm a professional photographer (and yes, gamer...) :-) and I'm planning to be at PAX East on Saturday. I was thinking of bringing my gear and making a more serious go of getting pictures of anyone who wanted theirs taken, and depending on level of interest I might even station myself somewhere so folks could find me easily. I figured I would post here to see what folks thought.

Unfortunately the first year I went and brought the cam I was a little shy about shoving my camera in people's faces (lol), so I don't have a ton of what I would consider to be "great examples", but you can certainly poke at my website if you're interested to see some of my other work. :-)

http://www.impeng.com

Anyway if folks were interested, I figured I could setup a twitter account or something and post on my general whereabouts and people could track me down.

Let me know what you think!

Either way, I look forward to seeing folks there!

manaheim on
    Chris Russo
    Gamer... photographer... lead monkey coordinator.
    Me: http://www.impeng.com
    G+: http://tinyurl.com/6vss2ah
    FB: http://tinyurl.com/8yek348
  • Options
    manaheimmanaheim Registered User regular
    Hm... my thread appears to have been moved to this thread. Odd. :lol:

I totally forgot to mention... obviously I'll give everyone full high-res images of themselves and will post the images up here on the forum after the event. Absolutely no charge whatsoever. I'd appreciate a photo credit if you use my picture, but that's it.

Chris Russo
    Gamer... photographer... lead monkey coordinator.
    Me: http://www.impeng.com
    G+: http://tinyurl.com/6vss2ah
    FB: http://tinyurl.com/8yek348
  • Options
    ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    Zandiie wrote:
    Im going as Annie from League of Legends, and a trainer from Pokemon Black if i can get it together in time. Any other LoL cosplayers? Id love to try and meet up and get some pictures :)

Yay! We were originally going with MTG stuff, but then we found more fun options.
    Here's the probable line-up: Janna, Graves (provided the gun comes together), surfer singed, and maybe a Gangplank ... we'll see what comes down the lines.

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • Options
    SvKSvK Registered User regular
    @manaheim: cosplayers love being photographed. Just ask. (unless they are eating, or in a heated discussion, or crying amidst the pieces of a shattered prop)

• Options
    wonderpug wrote:
    img_zvoEJV.jpg

cute. But that fits zero of the criteria.

@ manaheim; If you can find me, or I find you, I'd be happy to pose for your Cam. You can follow me on twitter if you want. I'll be updating my location as often as I can.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    wonderpug wrote:
    img_zvoEJV.jpg

cute. But that fits zero of the criteria.

That's harsh. It's simplistic, minimal pockets, large main compartment, under $50, and it goes with both costumes in a more 'meta' way. That's fine if it's not what you're looking for, but I was just trying to help.

• Options

For my Megaman outfit, I'm going to be going with these:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/c616/

It's a holster for stuff, basically. It looks nice and military (it's based on military belt pouches/holsters), is designed to hold electronics, and it should work great. Of course, if you're going for full armor, it might look a bit out of place? so there's also this:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/bags/bfc0/

^ Then there's this bag. not a backpack, but still nice and military ish. Simple and black, so it should work for both outfits!

My other suggestion would be to check out army surplus stores, they often have great stuff that'll fit your needs exactly.

• Options
    @Wonderpug - I can no longer resist..... I must tell you that I adore your icon.

@manaheim: Most people in costume love being photographed, especially by professionals! (Unless the criteria SvK mentioned are being met, in which case it's best to steer clear).

• Options
    OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular

It's a holster for stuff, basically. It looks nice and military (it's based on military belt pouches/holsters), is designed to hold electronics, and it should work great. Of course, if you're going for full armor, it might look a bit out of place? so there's also this:

^ Then there's this bag. not a backpack, but still nice and military ish. Simple and black, so it should work for both outfits!

My other suggestion would be to check out army surplus stores, they often have great stuff that'll fit your needs exactly.

Is it bad cosplay juju that despite the fact that it will neither mesh with my Protoman Costume, or my ---MESSAGE REDACTED--- costume, I fully intend on going around with the Rarity-themed My-Little-Pony messenger bag my friend made me?

Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
  • Options

Both totally cool bags. But doesn't look like much room in the main pockets for swag. ^_^
    Thanks for the ideas!

One of my friends recommended this one. I like it, but I think I'm gonna look around town for something similar over the next few weeks.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Onmitsu wrote:

Is it bad cosplay juju that despite the fact that it will neither mesh with my Protoman Costume, or my ---MESSAGE REDACTED--- costume, I fully intend on going around with the Rarity-themed My-Little-Pony messenger bag my friend made me?

Considering the great MLP cosplay at Prime, I don't think any MLP stuff will be out of place at East... even if it doesn't match ;)

• Options
    TangoTango Registered User regular
    HEY GUYS

GUYS

DON'T FORGET THAT ANY AND ALL COSTUME WEAPONS HAVE TO BE COMPATIBLE WITH THESE GUIDELINES RIGHT HERE OTHERWISE:

- SAID PROP MIGHT GET CONFISCATED
    - YOU MIGHT HAVE TO LEAVE THE CENTER AND RETURN WITHOUT IT
    - OR IT MIGHT HAVE TO BE MODIFIED TO RENDER IT COMPLIANT WITH THE GUIDELINES

DON'T LOOK AT ME LIKE THAT, IT'S NOT LIKE I'M THE ENFORCER IN CHARGE OF SECURITY FOR THIS CON

OH WAIT, I AM

;)

... and with that little reminder out of the way - once again, super looking forward to all these awesome costumes!