As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Path of Exile] They might have forgotten to tell you that you're in the beta.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Mugaaz wrote:
    I heard about this a while back and signed up for the beta months ago, but still havent gotten in. Is there ever going into open beta or they going to constantly do this rolling closed beta thing?

Open Beta in January apparently.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    HalfhandHalfhand a stalwart bastion of terrible ideas Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    If they're giving out beta's at complete random why not just make it available to everyone who signs up?

Halfhand on
    corio2.jpg
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Halfhand wrote:
    If they're giving out beta's at complete random why not just make it available to everyone who signs up?

To control the server load. It's a closed beta right now.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    Well, I saw the WTF last night before even looking in the thread. I like what I see except that ungodly mess of a passive system. I still want to give it a shot to maybe convince me I'm wrong.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    übergeek wrote:
    Well, I saw the WTF last night before even looking in the thread. I like what I see except that ungodly mess of a passive system. I still want to give it a shot to maybe convince me I'm wrong.

What are you talking about, "ungodly mess"? It looks amazing. Because, why yes, I would like to make a Claw-based Witch, thankyouverymuch.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    Well, that was interesting until I just up and crashed.

Trying a tanky Templar with sword and board, but it feels kinda boring solo. Probably more fun in a party.

• Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    Echo wrote:
    Well, that was interesting until I just up and crashed.

Trying a tanky Templar with sword and board, but it feels kinda boring solo. Probably more fun in a party.

I was watching, and it was sometimes giving me the audio and the video would lock up for about 5 seconds. Could just be I wasn't letting the flash player have enough bandwidth.

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    As far as I can tell, the only difference I can spot between the classes is their starting attributes. The "pure" classes start with a chunk of extra points in their stat, the hybrid start with smaller bonuses to two stats.

Apart from that, all your base stats come from putting points in the tree - gear has no strength etc, just armor of its type and enchantments if they're magical.

So a claw-melee witch is totally possible.

• Options
    The timer delay for forum keys has just been reduced by ten minutes. Interestingly, this announcement was accompanied by the "Forum users now 10x more likely to get an account" thread to be destickied. I think that they realised that incentive had transformed a quiet forum into an awful mire of begging.

So, it's now a new random key every 25minutes, they also mentioned that they will throw out some keys via alternate means at the weekend.

• Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote:
    The timer delay for forum keys has just been reduced by ten minutes. Interestingly, this announcement was accompanied by the "Forum users now 10x more likely to get an account" thread to be destickied. I think that they realised that incentive had transformed a quiet forum into an awful mire of begging.

So, it's now a new random key every 25minutes, they also mentioned that they will throw out some keys via alternate means at the weekend.

They actually had a separate queue for "veteran users" on their site for a while, got removed a while ago probably for that reason.

• Options
    Weighting the timer towards old accounts would make sense. Especially if they did it publicly. Right now it's valid to register dozens or accounts to increase your odds, that would discourage that somewhat.

• Options
    Echo wrote:
    As far as I can tell, the only difference I can spot between the classes is their starting attributes. The "pure" classes start with a chunk of extra points in their stat, the hybrid start with smaller bonuses to two stats.

Apart from that, all your base stats come from putting points in the tree - gear has no strength etc, just armor of its type and enchantments if they're magical.

So a claw-melee witch is totally possible.

This is only part right. Apparently beyond the difference in starting stats, a Pure Class gets more points from picking an associated passive. For hybrid classes, you get a smaller amount, but still more than you'd get for picking a non-associated passive.

• Options
    InkSplat wrote:
    This is only part right. Apparently beyond the difference in starting stats, a Pure Class gets more points from picking an associated passive. For hybrid classes, you get a smaller amount, but still more than you'd get for picking a non-associated passive.

Ah. Knew I had to be missing something.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    I noticed in a video that a guy was playing the Ranger, and he could pick from three directions in his passive skill tree. What would be the incentive to pick in the strength or intelligence direction for a ranger?

• Options
    Haven't really looked at the details, but maybe he was going for some weirdo two-handed axe/lightning nova hybrid ranger? :P

A bit of Intelligence points makes sense for everyone though, since that gives mana, which all classes use. I'm pure Dexterity on my ranger so far - my bow does excellent autoa-ttack damage thanks to those points, and while my mana is a bit low, I often only need to use spells to start a fight - drop a few Poison Arrow clouds and then some Split Arrows to thin the herd a bit, and then autoattack what's left.

• Options
    captaink wrote:
    I noticed in a video that a guy was playing the Ranger, and he could pick from three directions in his passive skill tree. What would be the incentive to pick in the strength or intelligence direction for a ranger?

Strength skills are going to give you a lot of life, a lot of armor, and melee damage, stun, knockback, and mana cost reduction. So, a bow ranger might want to go down that route a bit to pick up some knockback bonuses, but a dagger/claw/sword ranger could pick up a lot from going into the strength.

• Options
    Yeah, that's easy to miss: gear has no base stats. All strength you have will be from points in the passive tree, which also gives health. (Gear might have "+48 to Maximum Life" as a random enchantment, but that's it.)

• Options
    MarekMarek Lurker Pro A screen door... factoryRegistered User regular
    I am seriously looking forward to this game; thanks in large part to the main page post this week. The environment/mood of the levels I've seen so far are awesome. I wonder what the dex/int hybrid class is going to be called.

Here is a question for those in the beta: Is item looting from monster drops only, or are there chests and other stuff to bash open and whatnot? Haven't noticed from the videos I've seen or the webpage, or I could just be blind.

Another question: Does the Witch feel sufficiently caster-like? I'm not sure if I'm wording that right, but is that class played by slinging spells all over the place?

XBL: Jason Marek
  • Options
    There are plenty of chests, barrels and corpses.

• Options
    Got to say, I like the gem system. I got an Item Rarity support gem that I linked to Ice Nova, so now I run around and gather everyone up for chilly hugs and collect loot.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    I like the idea of having stats as part of the tree. Picking stats as part of leveling up has never felt right to me, especially how most games in the genre handle it. This way, there are no "wasted" points since you're always working towards unlocking something.

• Options
    I'm playing a Templar right now. The initial idea was to go tanky spec with shield + 1h, and Intelligence points in cold spells to slow/freeze enemies, and just wade in and keep everything frozen. Working nice so far, with some mana issues - but that's what mana flasks are for.

And I love how they do said flasks.

You have five slots for flasks. These aren't stacks of potions, but a single flask with charges. The starter stuff has 60 charges, each use drains 20 charges... and each kill refills one charge.

By default they restore over 2 seconds, but flasks can have enchantments too. I've had flasks that give me 20% run speed while using them, one that had half health restored but was instant instead, and so on.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Okay, that sounds neat.

Edit: Based on everything I'm hearing, it sounds like they're designing their entire system to correct perceived flaws in the genre, which sounds awesome to me.

jothki on
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Love Titan Quest -- maybe a little more than D2 (but not as much as Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup). Watching this.

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    Beta patch notes! (I cut out most of the bugfix stuff, not much interesting there)
    Version 0.9.2a

Features:
    Added new skill prototype - "Explosive Arrow": Fires an arrow which inflicts a short duration fuse charge on the enemy. Applying additional charges extends the duration. When the target dies or the fuses expire, the charges explode, dealing fire splash damage to nearby enemies.
    Added new skill prototype - "Temporal Chains": Curses all targets in an area, making time pass more slowly for them. They will move, attack and cast at a reduced speed and effects on them expire slower.
    Added new skill prototype - "Elemental Weakness": Curses all targets in an area, making them less resistant to elemental damage and more vulnerable to elemental status effects.
    Added new skill prototype - "Warlord's Mark": Curses all targets in an area. Attacks on the cursed targets will leech life and mana, and killing them will result in more flask charges and a chance to gain an endurance charge.
    Added new skill prototype - "Punishment": Curses all targets in an area, causing them to suffer some of the physical damage they deal with their attacks.
    Added new skill prototype - "Enfeeble": Curses all targets in an area, making their attacks less effective.
    Added new skill prototype - "Critical Weakness": Curses all targets in an area, making them more vulnerable to critical strikes.
    Added new skill prototype - "Projectile Weakness": Curses all targets in an area, making them easier for projectiles to pierce and easier to knock back, while reducing their evasion against projectiles.
    Added new skill prototype - "Vulnerability": Curses all targets in an area, making them take increased damage from physical attacks and degeneration, and easier to stun. The target's energy shield will regenerate more slowly.
    Added functionality for cut-throat leagues. We'll test this with some events in the near future!
    Added user interface elements to show the life totals of party members in your instance.
    Projectiles should only collide with chests now if they would open them.
    Further improvements to the new user interface.
    Added new Portal art.
    Enabled a lot of new music for many areas.
    The outlines around friendly entities are now green rather than red.
    Added new loading screen art/layout.
    Increased the size of the chat box.
    Many website forum improvements.
    Disabled the ability to lift flasks in the HUD version of the belt. Now you won't accidentally drop them while playing. Either mouse button can be used to drink from them now.
    Made monster description text easier to read.
    Reduced the grass in some areas of Act Two to improve performance on older hardware. This is being investigated.
    Added proper support for 1280x1024 and other similar resolutions.
    Dropping items with skill gems in them will warn you.
    Added crash dump reporting.
    The Dark Forest now has a spidery entrance to the Weaver's Chambers.
    Substantial incremental improvements to areas, environments, effects and sounds.
    Overhauls to the look and feel of many Act Two environments.

• Options
    So, the devs are maintaining that being an active forum member gives you 10x the chance to be rando-selected for a beta key.
    Rhys wrote:
    Many people seem to think that because of the 10x weighting given to people who post, the timer should be mostly choosing "active" community members. That's not how it works.

All it really means is that any ONE "active" has a 10x probability compared to any ONE "inactive".

But the timer isn't comparing one person against another - it's looking at everyone. And the simple fact is that there are many more than 10x the number of inactives compared to actives. So of course it chooses inactives all the time. Statistics says it should.
    GGG Developer
    (It was posted about a minute ago).

So kicking a daily post into the depths of stupidity could still pay off.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Bad news everyone. I've been talking to a couple of guys in the beta. Both have been playing since the 5th of September (9 days) and neither have seen a single friend key.

From trying to get hold of various details about when and where this second type of key has been sent out, it seems that there have been two "waves" of these keys. Previously, I was under the impression that we could use these keys to do a standard conga line. It now seems that this will not be sustainable.

Of note is that the twitter account has occasionally had keys posted on it. So it might be worth a follow. Other than that, you're stuck waiting to be randomly selected.

Edit: Now I've found a guy playing since the 11th of August who has yet to receive any keys.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    I had never heard about this until Tycho's post, but now I can't stop checking my email that I registered for the beta key. Between the materia and sphere grid, I'm actually eager to get back into a dungeon crawler.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    templewulf wrote:
    can't stop checking my email

Yes, something like this.

XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    Dev Chris wrote:
    We've doubled the number of beta testers that are selected per day to be given friend invites. Hopefully this will make it easier for prominent forum members to be gifted keys, while also making sure the existing Beta members get to try more multiplayer with friends.

Our intention is to reduce the timer interval once the 0.9.3 patch is out, to scale up the size of the beta at a larger rate. This is most likely two weeks away at this stage.

Okay, so that is promising and it explains the weird lack of friend invites.

• Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    Is it just me or does this whole thing seem like the most convoluted and extensive beta key selection process for any game. You got your normal keys, promo keys, inactives, actives, friend codes.. Shesh just let me play your beta and tell you whats wrong.

itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I can only guess they're trying to generate interest.

of course opening it to everyone would be very interesting!

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Variable wrote:
    I can only guess they're trying to generate interest.

of course opening it to everyone would be very interesting!

I think it's more that they have been overwhelmed with interest and need to avoid their servers crapping themselves (It's a free game that has been in development for years. So I doubt they will set up the infrastructure until just before launch). But they also have an image to maintain, and that involves appearing to give out lots of beta keys every day.

In reality it seems something like 75% go to dead accounts, and there are an unspecified number of friend keys handed out per day.

It's less generating interest and more trying to maintain it until they launch and can start charging people for more rapid levelling and special avatars.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    I WANNA PLAY

Y U NO LET ME PLAY

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Got my beta invite. It came free with several spam messages on the forum asking me for invites.

• Options
    TalkcTalkc Registered User regular
    This freaking beta thing. I cant be bothered to play spam the boards on their message boards begging for a key, the timer makes no sense, and why would you advertise who got the keys? Are they trying to cause shit for people?

Jesus. I mean it looks like a damn decent game, but the way they are handling this beta process is giving me doubts about their ability to manage things like a cash shop without shitting the whole bed.

• Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    wtb beta key.

No seriously. I don't have any money but I do have ...favors

• Options
    MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    Was hoping that I'd get a key for PoE before D3 but that didn't turn out. Still would like to give this game a shot, when is the release date?

MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png
  • Options
    Having played a little, I can say that right now the passive skill tree is a reasonable idea but needs a redesign. It is split into three components, each corresponding to a stat and every time you level you can buy a sphere, which gives you stat bonuses in all three areas (but more in the primary) and a little something extra (so increased attack speed, movement speed, a bonus with a type of weapon and so forth). Right now though, it's all a but homogenous, so there is not such a reason to really try and plan a clever route across the thing. You can merrily just amble along.

What is really interesting is the trade system. There's no gold. This had slipped me by entirely until I started, but enemies don't drop it and you can't sell shit for it. Instead, NPCs take certain "currency items". Now, these are actually really useful items that you would want to be hording. Things like ID scrolls, town portal scrolls, whetstones (gives a small bonus to a weapon, you can use lots of them and it caps out at +20% for a given item), armour fragments (armour whetstones), transmutation orbs (makes a non-magical item, magical) and so forth. So if you want to buy something you'll need the right number of this (really goddamn rare) items.

Of course, down the line, you'll be able to sell all the junk you find on your travels, but it's no implemented yet.

Also, health and mana potions are non-consumable. Instead they have charges. It takes 10 charges (from a pool of ~30 for the first ones) to use one and then it regains you a decent amount of health or mana over a few seconds. The charges come back as you smash shit up. What is clever though is that you can find magic potions. These can have qualities that grant extra healing (but perhaps have fewer total charges) or give you bonuses after you use them (I have a health one that increases my movement rate when I drink it alongside the healing). It's a really clever touch.

As for my character, I'm playing a Duelist (the Dex class) and going with dual wielding. It seems pretty effective. I got lucky and ended up with a raise zombie gem quite early on, so I always have a little friend soaking damage. Also, I'm in the hardcore league (because why would you start on the pretty princess league?), so far it's fine for an utter idiot such as myself. I imagine this will change as I'm not far in yet.
    Muriden wrote:
    Was hoping that I'd get a key for PoE before D3 but that didn't turn out. Still would like to give this game a shot, when is the release date?
    January by all accounts. Or that could just be the open beta (which is effectively the same as the release for a free game)

This discussion has been closed.