As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Path of Exile] They might have forgotten to tell you that you're in the beta.

• Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    This basically looks like what Diablo would look like in 3d.

Dunno, though. Titan Quest was kind of...boring.

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    MuridenMuriden Registered User regular
    I've not seen another game using a system similar to Materia. I hope it's done well.

MrGulio.332 - Lover of fine Cheeses. Replays
    301787-1.png
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    I love me some dungeon crawlers. Here's hoping for a beta key.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Namel3ssNamel3ss Registered User regular
    I just learned about this and I have to say it really looks amazing. Seriously. Dark. Terrifying. Competitive. Addicting.

Hi-Res Diablo II with marteria-like skill system, compelling classes and amazing league options.

Where do I sign up? Should I just post my AmEx card info here now? I'm sure they'll find it.

May the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush.
  • Options
    RandomLeeRandomLee Registered User regular
    I really want a beta invite for this. Probably because I've been slogging through Diablo 2 in anticipation of 3 coming out before the End of Time.

• Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    They sold me with the skill tree. And Materia. And Diablo-clone. Need beta.

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    That skill tree filled me with a terrifying sense of being overwhelmed. And then I filled up a bit.

• Options
    NamNam Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Well, I'd be all over this shit if I didn't have a Mac. : (

This game looks as addicting as D2 and it being free is astonishing.

Nam on
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    no bootcamp?

also the main reason i own a pc is because all games work for pcs.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    krissgjengkrissgjeng Registered User new member
    Klyka wrote:
    I WANT TO BE IN THE BETA FOR THIS SO BAD!!!!

This is made by some of the people who made Titan Quest, one of my favorite dungeon crawlers!

I thought some of the developers went on to create Grim Dawn, not path of exile.

• Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Please to have beta friend key? kthxbi
    Muriden wrote:
    I've not seen another game using a system similar to Materia. I hope it's done well.

With materia, weren't the skills permanent once you unlocked them? It's been so long...

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    krissgjeng wrote:
    Klyka wrote:

This is made by some of the people who made Titan Quest, one of my favorite dungeon crawlers!

I thought some of the developers went on to create Grim Dawn, not path of exile.

Wasn't it Path of Exile?
    Maybe I am confusing things.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Peff wrote:
    Any of the current beta mans, are there friend codes? I didn't see one with mine and I wouldn't mind sharing the love.

You should get friends codes at some unspecified intervals. I'm not sure if there's a cap on the number either.

That said, if you could keep us updated with when and if you get any, then that would be cool. Also, if you want to throw one to somebody in the thread then we can try and get a conga line going.

Edit: From reading around, friend codes arrive every 6-12hours apparently.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    Dyvion wrote:
    With materia, weren't the skills permanent once you unlocked them? It's been so long...

With materia, the materia permanently has the skill, not your character. So effectively yes, but if you need to unequip the materia because a new item has fewer slots, you'll lose the skill. And you can give it to another character.

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Klyka wrote:

Then I have good news for you: Crate Entertainment, which rose out of the ashes of Iron Lore, are developing another dungeon crawl as well, Grim Dawn.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Oh man I want this beta so hard

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Me and my fiance have both been on the the beta list for this for like a month, and nothing. I wish they would let you pat for a beta-key, because I would totally pay $20 to get to play this now.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    P.Y.T.P.Y.T. Registered User regular
    I signed up for a beta key weeks ago but still haven't heard anything. :(

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote:

Then I have good news for you: Crate Entertainment, which rose out of the ashes of Iron Lore, are developing another dungeon crawl as well, Grim Dawn.

I like that we are getting a lot of dungeon crawlers coming up. With so many darts thrown, I'm sure one will hit the loot bullseye which is really what matters in this game. Diablo 2 had good atmosphere, but what really made it great was that it was exciting whenever something dropped.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    BlainBlain Registered User regular
    These are the rules they gave me (and everyone) who got into the beta.

- You can tell people that you are in the Beta. Your account is marked as "Beta Member" on the forums.
    - You can discuss any publicly available information that you would normally have discussed before you were in the Beta test.
    - You're welcome to post your general opinions on the game. Please do not go into detail about unannounced specifics or unfinished systems.
    - Please do not reveal unannounced information or comment on how things in the Beta work. For example, you should not post about some skill that hasn't been announced yet, or some unannounced looting system we are testing out.
    - Please do not post balance values from the game or update public websites or wikis with this information. For example, if someone is gathering a list of item names in the Beta, you should not tell them new names. This information will change very frequently and we don't want to confuse people.
    - Please do not post screenshots or videos without permission. However, if you ask you are likely to be granted permission.
    - Please do not share your account. In the future, we'll periodically allow you to invite some friends to play with.
    If you abuse these rules we reserve the right to remove your access.

With that in mind, do you have any questions about it?

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Do you find it enjoyable to play in general?

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    BlainBlain Registered User regular
    I do. They've definitely got a solid foundation to build upon.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Oh dear, I'm in the beta.

• Options
    Echo wrote:

ECH-OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote:

I'm so jelly!

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    Does your invite spawn another invite? If so, start chaining Dem Invites.

301787-1.png
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    Muriden wrote:
    Does your invite spawn another invite? If so, start chaining Dem Invites.

They generate friend invites every now and then and not everyone gets one each time.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    I played a Templar to level 9 for the last 90 minutes. Quickie impressions:

Graphics are very nice and moody. If you liked Diablo you'll feel right at home as soon as you get to an indoor part. Shit be dark.

Your light circle shrinks as you take damage for an extra OHSHIT factor.

It starts kinda slow since you need skill gems to do more than auto-attack with your weapon, but every second-third quest or so will reward skill gems.

The skill sphere. Ye gods. I need to look closer at what shit actually does there.

• Options
    MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    I heard about this a while back and signed up for the beta months ago, but still havent gotten in. Is there ever going into open beta or they going to constantly do this rolling closed beta thing?

• Options
    How do you do it Echo? You seem to get into whatever beta you want.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    why nobody give me invitation

i give buttsex backflips etc but nobody giev

wtf this forum full of hater

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    So, yeah. This is good. After playing a bit of Templar I rolled a Ranger for some bow-on-zombie action.

I really like the item and gem system they have. I got lucky and got a yellow (rare, the step above blue magic items, which in turn is the step above plain white items) bow that restores life when I kill something. Add to that a quiver (why let that slot go to waste?) that adds fire damage to attacks.

It'll get interesting when I start getting support gems and linked gem slots so I can do stuff like add mana leech or multi-shots to things.

• Options
    A bit more on items.

You have three "alignments" - Strength (red), Intelligence (blue) and Dexterity (green).

Items have a general alignment. Heavy armor is strength, cloth armor is intelligence and leather armor is dexterity. This means that they're very likely to have gem slots of that color, and less likely to have gem slots of other colors, but it's still common to see heavy armor with blue slots and so on.

Each armor type has its own mechanic as well. Strength armor has your typical armor value that reduces damage. Intelligence armor gets an energy shield instead - effectively a separate health bar that quickly recharges when you stop taking damage. Dexterity armor has evasion instead of armor, letting you dodge attacks completely.

Any class can wear all armor and use all weapon types, but eventually they start having stat requirements that effectively lock you out of some gear since you're focusing on other stats.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    So if it's gonna be free to play, where does the monetization come in? Cosmetic only or actual gameplay effect?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    So if it's gonna be free to play, where does the monetization come in? Cosmetic only or actual gameplay effect?

They've said they don't want any "pay 2 win" things - they've mentioned item dyes, cosmetic vanity items (pets, unique cosmetic-only armor) and animations (pvp taunts and stuff).

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular

*cough*OP*cough*

• Options
    A minor gripe is that you can't really see your character that well - I'd like to zoom in and admire my gear or see it on the character select screen. But I imagine they'll be adding something like that eventually.

• Options
    With the armor and weapon slots. How do the secondary gems that augment skill gems work for colors? Are the secondary gems colored or prismatic?

301787-1.png
  • Options
    You'll find linked sockets like this:

linkedsockets.jpg

I have no idea if support gems require a certain color. We'll see when I find one.

• Options
    Actually, it looks like they require a matching color:

filledlinkedsockets.jpg

This discussion has been closed.