As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Path of Exile] They might have forgotten to tell you that you're in the beta.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So how many character can you have at once? And how "locked" is the huge skill tree? What does my character class actually affect? Because right now it pretty much looks like I can build anyone any way I want just that my stats level a little better in certain areas dependant on class, so higher Int gains for the Witch and higher Str gain for the Templar Marauder. Is that right?

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    So how many character can you have at once? And how "locked" is the huge skill tree? What does my character class actually affect? Because right now it pretty much looks like I can build anyone any way I want just that my stats level a little better in certain areas dependant on class, so higher Int gains for the Witch and higher Str gain for the Templar Marauder. Is that right?
    Classes change where you start in the tree. I think 4 characters is the max, though you can pay for more slots.

League of Legends:Varega
  • Options
    P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    Class determines your initial stat distribution, your location in the passive skill tree, and what skill gems get offered to you for quest rewards. It doesn't determine what benefits you get from passive skills - +10 str is +10 str, for every class.

I don't think there's a character cap. I've had at least 5 characters concurrently.

Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    I think the character cap is something crazy at the moment, like 20.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Wow, Diablo 3 apparently murdered this thread.

Anybody still playing?

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i have played so much poe im taking a break until they get out the patch which includes the third act, voice acting, etc

probably will be a month or so

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I'm playing up a storm but I'm going to reach MoC soon and I don't want to burn myself out on grinding before a wipe

also hc league is great

P10 on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Wow, Diablo 3 apparently murdered this thread.

Anybody still playing?

I would if I had a beta code. I'm seriously considering springing for the $10 pack.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    So I've gotten to a point in Act 2 where I'm basically stuck. I've handled a 'bandit problem' but... I see nowhere else to go :<.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Arthil wrote: »
    So I've gotten to a point in Act 2 where I'm basically stuck. I've handled a 'bandit problem' but... I see nowhere else to go :<.
    quest spoilers
    if you've handled all 3 bandits already
    you should get the combined amulet from either helping a bandit lord or from one of the townspeople (if you killed them all), then from the 'pools and streams' map there should be a 'waterfall cave'. progress through the waterfall cave to continue on
    if you've only handled 2
    you need to get the spear and the baleful gem from the other quests so you can open up the route to the last bandit lord

P10 on
  • Options
    So, I've had beta access for a while and just finally took the plunge, after being a little disenchanted by D3.

Holy shit. The loot system is amaaazing. Just completely fantastic. Cool stuff drops often enough that it is just constantly exciting to see blue pop up. And the orbs just allow so much extra. Being able to transform items of your choice into rares, or add magic to them. Just so much fun.

My only complaint is that the combat definitely doesn't feel as good as D3, but I couldn't really expect it to, so I guess that's more of a wish than a complaint. The loot system however? Fucking brilliantly tuned.

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    Is this worth laying 10 bucks down to play in the closed beta? I'm interested, especially now that I've played Diablo 3. I'd like to see how it stacks up.

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    I've got a buddy code left if you'd like.

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    That'd be real swell!

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    patch 9.10 coming on tuesday, will contain grouping system and some other improvements

is not big patch though is quite incremental

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    StuntspikeStuntspike Don Juan De La Nooch In the midstRegistered User regular
    This game is the sauce of awesome.

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
  • Options
    Kroyd_KrensonKroyd_Krenson Registered User regular
    I don't suppose anyone can invite me to this? I played the open beta weekend and liked it, wouldn't mind playing some more...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmlvEJxZazc

this game is still ballin

there's a fairly silly glass cannon melee build, plus gives a taste of a few of the fun bugs that turn up with flicker strike

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    So, in the upcoming patch, PoE is going to be introducing a new End Game.

http://www.pathofexile.com/news/2012-06-26/dev-diary-maps

Basically, starting at the current end of the storyline, you'll be able to find Map items. These map items spawn a new random dungeon of the specified level. Now, the cool thing is that these maps have modifiers that will make them harder. So, if you've got a level 60 Map that is just a plain normal map, you can make it magical and it might gain a property that causes all monsters to have extra health.

Every property makes the map harder--nothing makes them easier. But, making it harder also increases item drop rate. And beyond that, you delve into these Map dungeons to potentially find more maps. Current end game content is level 60. So you can find, at max, level 62 maps. But in a level 62 map, you could find up to a level 64 map. Working your way up to level 69 maps currently. And then all of these maps can range from basic, to ridiculously packed with modifiers.

And you can re-roll the maps just like you can any other item. So, if you find a map that is full of ice resistance, and you're an ice-based character, you can either sell/trade it, or just re-roll it, and poof, no more ice resistance.

Each map takes place in (currently) one of 35 "areas", and each area has a unique boss that will always be the same. So, you can tweak your gear in prep for the big guy at the end of the dungeon ahead of time.

Overall, it seems like a really cool system, and really caters to the drastic differences in character power that PoE's web can create. If you're just not as strong as someone else, that's fine, you can still continue to get stronger without having to run the exact same level over and over.

Pretty stoked to see it in action.

InkSplat on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    That actually sounds fairly awesome.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AiserouAiserou Registered User regular
    That is literally the first time I have ever been interested in the term "end-game content".

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Oh cool. I might come and have another play.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    So, they posted a video to go along with the Dev Diary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S0RY2kQ3GM

Nothing really new, except for one thing..

The guy mentions that a certain item "flips the symbol" on a map. Which might be useful for "Map Words" later on.

So.. yeah. Not even going to speculate on what the hell a Map Word might do, but I trust it'll be something ridiculously awesome.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Jegus.

Made it up to the siren boss in Act I, and she's just handing me my Witch's asshole on a platter. Probably should've listened to the magic floating text that said difficulty went up after the last reset.

EDIT: Nevermind, got'er. Picked up some cold resist items from the merchant and...

...well, I died twice in the fight, but at least I threw up TP's so I could get right back in and zerg her down.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    IslandIsland Registered User regular
    Anyway to get a beta invite without forking out for the key? (I have no problem supporting them cuz I like what I see, just funds are tight)

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    I have a couple questions:

1. Will characters be wiped when the beta is over? I don't want to invest huge chunks of time into my dude if he's gonna be wiped.

2. Does anyone know of a place to get advice on builds, specifically for the early-mid game? I'm scared to spend my points and all the builds I've found online are endgame ones. (Some of them even have the people spending like 90+ points, which I thought was impossible? Isn't 60 the level cap at the moment?)

• Options
    I have a couple questions:

1. Will characters be wiped when the beta is over? I don't want to invest huge chunks of time into my dude if he's gonna be wiped.

2. Does anyone know of a place to get advice on builds, specifically for the early-mid game? I'm scared to spend my points and all the builds I've found online are endgame ones. (Some of them even have the people spending like 90+ points, which I thought was impossible? Isn't 60 the level cap at the moment?)

1. There will be a wipe at the end of Closed Beta. No wipe after Open Beta, which is supposed to start in August.

2. The forums are a great place for build advice--each class has its own forum. Go into the class section of the website, go to the class, then scroll down. Also, it is totally possible to change builds a bit as you go. You earn some respec points, and you can buy more from the vial/jewelry merchant. And max level is currently 100, its just that current end-game content is level 60, because they've only put in up to Act 2. Once Act 3 gets released, they're removing one whole difficulty, and adjusting the level progression.

Also to note that, since they're making lots of changes to the skill tree, each patch pretty frequently gives a full-respec to everyone.

Also also, its really hard to completely ruin a build, because there is so much flex room. Worst case is that you waste a couple points, which you can reverse. If you want to go completely different, then that's the place for a different character. However, because of the shared stash, you can pretty easily twink new chars and level up pretty quickly.

They do a weekly hardcore race, and people hit 20-30 in just a couple hours, and that's with no twinking at all.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    most builds shoot for 80-90 points

highest characters are in the level 70-80 range (bit lower on hc), last time I checked
    and you get 8-12 additional skill points for quests

P10 on
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    If you are sick of/have no interest in D3, but want to play a diablo'ish game ,this game is well worth 10$ to give a try. The mechanics and breakaway from standard structures alone are worth supporting in an industry of copycats.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    Yeeeees more skill points.

I also actually like the story I've seen so far. Good premise and atmosphere I think. I read in an interview that they're going to add a voiceover, which actually kind of worries me. I just hope they don't go overboard with it.

• Options
    Yeeeees more skill points.

I also actually like the story I've seen so far. Good premise and atmosphere I think. I read in an interview that they're going to add a voiceover, which actually kind of worries me. I just hope they don't go overboard with it.

You can always turn it off. They've got the written dialogue for everything anyway.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Just an update, but patch .911 is dropping Monday NZ time (so should be tomorrow night).

It includes the newly designed passives tree, as well as the new maps system.

Also, if you happen to like TotalBiscuit, here's a video of him playing with the new map system with one of the game's designers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97SskaQuijo

Edit: Double Also, a video explaining the new Passive Tree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwJuqovp0sE

InkSplat on
  • Options
    Patch goes live in about 5 minutes, followed by a downtime of 2-20 minutes.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/39492 <-- Patch Notes

• Options
    ive been in alpha a while and this patch is pretty sweet

i predict bitching about flicker strike though

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    I can't imagine anyone denying that Flicker Strike was broken though.

Now to start my Shotgun Ranger.

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Open beta in August? Why do I still buy Steam games if all I'm going to play these days are FTP titles...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    What's an easy/low-twitch character to play? I kinda like this game and am going to check out this fancy new patch, but my poor old laptop chugs a bit on it.

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    Mahnmut wrote: »
    What's an easy/low-twitch character to play? I kinda like this game and am going to check out this fancy new patch, but my poor old laptop chugs a bit on it.

Probably melee Marauder with a two-handed weapon so you can utilize some decent AoE attacks and have a ton of health?

• Options
    nah just go 1-hander and shield and use ground slam, way easier and less dangerous

you get to be a brick

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    nah just go 1-hander and shield and use ground slam, way easier and less dangerous

you get to be a brick

1) Sounds good, thanks!

2) Den of Evil clear-them-all, in a giant sight-limited swamp with no help finding the last monster? Really?

3) Either they've been optimizing quite a bit or the last beta driver I installed is great, or both -- chugging a bit in town, but the wilderness areas are a lot smoother than before. :^:

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
This discussion has been closed.