As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SVN for beginners

MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
So, I'm in a serious programming class and have two separate computers I will use to write code. I know what SVN is and have used TortoiseSVN to download repositories for Gmod-related files but never something I develop myself.

Are there any reliable, free SVN-hosting services?
Do I just use TortoiseSVN to mark a file for SVN updates and such and it will handle the uploading itself or something else?

MrDelish on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I'd just slap your code on a thumb drive and use it between both machines. Are you trying to learn SVN or is this just for convenience?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    Technically both, but I should have mentioned that I'll also be working in a group.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Git might be better there, you may have issue with OSS project hosting in terms of project requirements and school requirements.

One of the schools I had went to had a license agreement we had to sign which would potentially fail you if they found out you used something that shared sources with anyone (which you'll get with those free hosting services).

Git isn't centralized so it's easy to share and do work independently and merge them together. And you can share changes to each other by a emailing the whole group or just sending them to one person to handle the collaboration portion of the project.

Git is probably the better fit here.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me