As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Shamefully, here I admit that I've never learned to play chess

AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in Games and Technology
Solution? Find a PC game.

Can anyone recommend a fun game for learning chess? I'd prefer it to be on Steam or GOG, but I suppose I could go elsewhere if needed. An ideal solution would be one that actually teaches, as opposed to just throwing me in there.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
AuburnTiger on

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    If you have a droid, drop the money for Shredder Chess. It's amazing, it will hand your balls yet has highly adjustable difficulty, as well as lots of puzzles. During play it tells you when you're making mistakes as well. It has a desktop equivalent as well.

Chessmaster is a bit more kiddie and clunky, but good too. Fritz is considered the most professional trainer.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Would Chestmaster 9000 on GOG be a good selection?

• Options
    Disco TerrierDisco Terrier Jowls aquiver. Registered User regular
    I too want to know this. Lots of people lin my family are into chess, and I'd like to get into it too. I've heard good things about Chessmaster 9000, but are there any better options for PC?

yGxvf.png
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    If you had a droid, I'd say get Shredder and never look back. As for PC you have three options: Chessmaster, Fritz and Shredder (for desktops). And Fritz is the creme de la creme. Chessmaster is better for beginners, and you are one, so you'll do alright with that one while saving money. If you're intermediate or advanced, Fritz has the nicer analysis tools.

clear-shot.png

EDIT - Damn, I can't find the unedited one. That line is just some editing shenanigans.

Cantido on
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    IMGP1885.JPG

FOR THE EMPEROR!

Cantido on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    I learned to play Chess from The RZA. That's right, Wu Tang Chess ain't nothin' to fuck with.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    I learned to play Chess from The RZA. That's right, Wu Tang Chess ain't nothin' to fuck with.

Indeed. If I recall correctly, Ghostface Killah was one of the youngest Grandmasters in the history of the game.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Cantido wrote:
    IMGP1885.JPG

FOR THE EMPEROR!

uh, are the kings/queens facing each other on that board? And bishops/knights are the same symbol. I guess its neat but isn't practical.

Edit: and yeah, Wu Tang has a long history of high level chess play, and they referenced chess in their music pretty often if I remember right.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    Just find a local chess gathering or something.

Real life chess with another person is way more fun than computer chess.

10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    Battle Chess was indeed the superior chess game.

When you say you "never learned how to play chess" do you mean you have no idea of the basic rules (such as set up, movement, etc), or are you looking to learn strategies, like openings, movement sets, etc?

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Man paying for chess seems kind of assy to be honest. Just go to wikipedia or what have you and learn the rules for how the peices move and the simple stuff then jump on yahoo chess or gameknot and play with someone you can talk with and ask questions of.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I had the same shameful problem. I got some software several years ago called (I believe) Chessmaster 10th anniv. It had some fantastic tutorials, all with demonstrations and voice instruction by some champion chess player. Despite it being about 6 or 7 years old at this point, I could highly suggest that. If the new Chessmaster releases are somehow even better, then go for that! =)

• Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    Learning Chess is pretty easy. Just learn how each piece moves, how victory works, and the handful of special rules. Its a simple game.

Winning, on the other hand....

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Rook OP

• Options

When you say you "never learned how to play chess" do you mean you have no idea of the basic rules (such as set up, movement, etc), or are you looking to learn strategies, like openings, movement sets, etc?

I have no knowledge of the basic rules.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular

I definitely suggest looking around for a chess class or club and see if they're willing to bring you up to speed. I run a chess club for kids at my library and occasionally we'll give a free class on how to play.

(I'm actually pretty terrible at chess too; a lot of these kids can beat me easily)

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    vamen wrote:
    I had the same shameful problem. I got some software several years ago called (I believe) Chessmaster 10th anniv. It had some fantastic tutorials, all with demonstrations and voice instruction by some champion chess player. Despite it being about 6 or 7 years old at this point, I could highly suggest that. If the new Chessmaster releases are somehow even better, then go for that! =)

I would recommend either Chessmaster X or Chessmaster XI. They both have tutorials by Josh Waitzkin and Larry Christiansen, which I felt were really good. I don't know if it was in XI, but X had where Waitzkin would walk you through certain famous games and explain why moves were good or bad, and why they did what they did.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    vamen wrote:

I would recommend either Chessmaster X or Chessmaster XI. They both have tutorials by Josh Waitzkin and Larry Christiansen, which I felt were really good. I don't know if it was in XI, but X had where Waitzkin would walk you through certain famous games and explain why moves were good or bad, and why they did what they did.

Ah yes, that's the one I meant. Chessmaster X, not Chessmaster 10th Anniv.
    Josh Waitzkin was the fellow indeed and he did a fine job with all of the lessions. The basic tutorials were great, the tactics stuff was fantastic and watching those famous games was pretty cool while he described what was going on. A really outstanding product overall, I felt.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    vamen wrote:
    vamen wrote:

Josh Waitzkin was the fellow indeed and he did a fine job with all of the lessions. The basic tutorials were great, the tactics stuff was fantastic and watching those famous games was pretty cool while he described what was going on. A really outstanding product overall, I felt.

They're both available on Amazon for under $20. I'd probably go with XI.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    vamen wrote:
    vamen wrote:

They're both available on Amazon for under $20. I'd probably go with XI.

Yeah, I second that recommendation. Very amazing tutorials (I even ended up reading and loving Josh's book.)

I think XI is a bit buggier than X, but it includes a bit more tutorial with more commented games by Josh. Not sure if that was patched and fixed, though.
    Now if I could only get a game with a similarly good enough tutorial for Go...

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Drovek wrote:
    I think XI is a bit buggier than X, but it includes a bit more tutorial with more commented games by Josh. Not sure if that was patched and fixed, though.
    Chessmaster Grandmaster Edition (Chessmaster XI)
    Patch v1.02

New features:
    - a new mini-game, Chain Reaction
    - 5 new chess sets (African, Futura, Humana, Insider, MinimaSteel)
    - 1 new skin (Metal)

Patch v1.01

Problems fixed:

Online Play:
    - In tournaments, players are now able to join a match in any circumstances
    - Contradictory messages received by the player in the last minute of an online tournament match no longer appear
    - The message that informs the users that the game will start automatically disappears now when the user that plays with the white chess pieces moves a chess piece
    - The game window is now changed when the player chooses to start another game

Chess variants:
    - Players are now able to finish a progressive English match when they try to make more moves than the number of available pieces

Minigames:
    - The revealed mines remain marked on the board
    - The points from the last move in a “Fork my fruit” mini-game are now added to the total points in any circumstances
    - Interface improvements

Puzzles:
    - The game no longer freezes when the player presses repeatedly the "Another puzzle" or "Random puzzle" buttons

Other problems solved:
    - Manual update
    - Various interface bugs
    - Various localization bugs
    - Various tutorial bugs

So, probably.

• Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    Alecthar wrote:

Indeed. If I recall correctly, Ghostface Killah was one of the youngest Grandmasters in the history of the game.
    Really? This is hilarious. My google-fu is failing me though.

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    I'm not sure which one it was, but one of The Wu-Tang Clan is indeed a grand-master.

at one point they had a plan to introduce inner-city kids to chess through a competitive online matchmaking/leaderboard type system at wuchess.com (which no longer points to anything)

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular

10 minutes on google will teach you the basic rules. Chess is very simple mechanically. Where it gets complex is in strategy.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options

10 minutes on google will teach you the basic rules. Chess is very simple mechanically. Where it gets complex is in strategy.

And as for PC products, I recommend Chessmaster.

• Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote:

And as for PC products, I recommend Chessmaster.

Yes. ChessMaster will teach you the basics; the problem with games like that (and especially online like Yahoo and ICC) is that people cheat rampantly; there are applications and other web sites that allow you to input the piece positions and get the best possible moves.

There are a ton of great programs out there that will teach you basic rules and strategy, but they will only take you so far; Chess is one of those games were people are predisposed to be better at than other people because of the different ways we are all wired. And there are ways to dealing with that of course; just like poker, you can feint and lure your opponents into moves. But you'll really only get "good" at Chess by playing straight up in front of another person.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1HUlTKvDUI

Use Chessmaster to teach you the movements of each piece and how to achieve the goal of the game.

Then find real people to play with because that's how you learn to improve. You can actually learn a lot about your opponent by how he plays chess.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    So I just realized I was like 6 when I was really into Battle Chess.

:shock: