As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] PAX Pokemon League 2012: Rivals!

• ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • XrosfireXrosfire Registered User new member
    Oh man this sounds amazing. I haven't been into Pokemon in years, but I bought White today just for this. Looking forward to feeling like a twelve year old again, only this time I'll be in a strange city battling stranger people =P

• cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    Xrosfire wrote:
    Oh man this sounds amazing. I haven't been into Pokemon in years, but I bought White today just for this. Looking forward to feeling like a twelve year old again, only this time I'll be in a strange city battling stranger people =P
    Nonsense! There's nothing strange about our Gym leaders! Except maybe that Giovanni fellow.. But I heard he's going to be busy with "work" this time. I'm sure he's totally legit when you get to know him though.

cocowoushi wrote:
    Xrosfire wrote:
    Nonsense! There's nothing strange about our Gym leaders! Except maybe that Giovanni fellow.. But I heard he's going to be busy with "work" this time. I'm sure he's totally legit when you get to know him though.

You've got to admit we're a little strange. XD

Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • GamesharkGameshark Watch how I soar Registered User regular
    Moar like super awesome mirite?

Oh hai new avatar! I certainly couldn't be teasing anything with this.

• HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    Teasing? We never do that, do we?

edited February 2012
    ANOTHER GYM LEADER?! We're revealing them so quickly! And why might that be? Well, we're impatient... some more than others. At PAX East, Barry, the Impatient Rival, will be a leader!

http://paxpokemonleague.net/2012/02/leader-barry-the-impatient-rival/

Propriety on
  • VolaroVolaro The Iron Gentleman Registered User regular
    You people and your crazy cool trainer avatars. I'm not jealous or nothin'...

• HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    We're still working on our crazy goal!

http://paxpokemonleague.net/forum/download/file.php?id=201

Heleor on
    Omg that Ferrothorn/seed.

• TrionTrion Registered User regular
    Looks like I'm going to have to break out Pokemon White again and start getting ready.
    Last year I went around taking pictures as Cameron the Photogapher and I got some cool shots of the PPL in action. That joke may be out of date this year, but I'll still be around taking pictures. I don't have any other duties (yet) this year, so battling and trading and all that other stuff is possible as well. :)

• RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    Trion wrote:
    Looks like I'm going to have to break out Pokemon White again and start getting ready.
    Last year I went around taking pictures as Cameron the Photogapher and I got some cool shots of the PPL in action. That joke may be out of date this year, but I'll still be around taking pictures. I don't have any other duties (yet) this year, so battling and trading and all that other stuff is possible as well. :)

You and me both, Trion! We've been outdated. The Shuckle Expert is no longer relevant in this new fast paced world of monochromatic pokemon.

Status: Beat the pokemon league, but I'm just kinda... sitting there. Blame my chemistry course!

• TrionTrion Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    You and me both, Trion! We've been outdated. The Shuckle Expert is no longer relevant in this new fast paced world of monochromatic pokemon.

Yeah, I know how you feel. I've thought about updating my routine for Black & White. But I figure that if I went around saying "My name is Charles. I'm a heartbreaker." that would start to look creepy. ;)

Trion on
  • TheAsianKnightTheAsianKnight Shinywoopwoop Registered User regular
    I'm so excited, though I really have to start working on my team XD

I mean, I have a usable team, but I'm cosplaying Silver again this year, and in celebration of rivals I feel the need to have his team as well (mix of manga and game)
    Though I'm also going to be Miror B from Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness, so I'm not sure whether or not I want to sneak in a ludicolo. It'd be so out of place.
    (I'll be Miror B on friday and Silver saturday and sunday in theory)

Pax East Check List: Room [X] Registration [X] Pax Pass [X] Pokemon league Gym Leader Team [X]
    Cosplay Check List: WOOPER [X]
    WOOP WOOP!
    edited February 2012

I mean, I have a usable team, but I'm cosplaying Silver again this year, and in celebration of rivals I feel the need to have his team as well (mix of manga and game)
    Though I'm also going to be Miror B from Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness, so I'm not sure whether or not I want to sneak in a ludicolo. It'd be so out of place.

If I don't see you dancing down the halls of the convention center in that outfit, I'm going to be sorely disappointed. ...Just so you know :P

Volaro on
    Volaro wrote:

If I don't see you dancing down the halls of the convention center in that outfit, I'm going to be sorely disappointed. ...Just so you know :P

Don't worry I will, I'm using a smoothfoam ball for the afro, and I'm going to try to set up the inside so I can put my ipod touch (and maybe speakers if I can find some that are decent and small) in it and play everywhere I go. Loud enough to hear, not loud enough to bother people, and easy to take off and turn off for when I get tired of it or I'm at a panel or something.

As long as I'm not alone, I'm willing to dance as I walk everywhere. However if I'm walking alone, I may not have the courage to break out into dance until someone calls my name.
    (Also this was a last minute cosplay urge that derived from seeing a wonderful fanart a week ago. The fact I'm falling through with it for such a close convention is astounding)

Also you may find me around Gym Leader Barry for part of the convention, since he and I are buds.
    So we'll have energetic Barry and anti-social Silver and disco-licious Miror B. I wonder how Barry is at the Disco

Pax East Check List: Room [X] Registration [X] Pax Pass [X] Pokemon league Gym Leader Team [X]
    WOOP WOOP!
  • MorgansternMorganstern Registered User regular
    (and maybe speakers if I can find some that are decent and small)

I hear these are pretty good:

I wanted to carry around speakers so I could play the music that plays in gyms during meetups... never found a good pair of speakers, though, and it would drain the battery on my iPod anyway.

New on the paxpokemonleague.net site is a fantastic post about how to make your very own badge, courtesy of the infinitely talented @Morganstern!

• feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    Very cool! Perhaps a good helpful addition to that box would be a place to hold your Rival Card?

edited February 2012
    Why is the cake in the optional part of the guide?! That's, like, the most important thing!

Volaro on
    I almost want to showcase the badges I win on my afro, but when I change costumes I won't have it anymore...

However this case, if I find the time I may do this, looks awesome

WOOP WOOP!
  • RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    I almost want to showcase the badges I win on my afro, but when I change costumes I won't have it anymore...

Gym Leaders always have a crapton of badges left over, so you could ask if you could have 2 badges, and explain one's for your afro and one's to carry around when afro-less. Not sure how willing they'll be to do so, but it's worth a shot.

A badge afro! Practical AND stylish?! :O

A new leader is up! And that leader is... ME?! :O Whaaaaaat?!

www.paxpokemonleague.net

Gym Leaders always have a crapton of badges left over, so you could ask if you could have 2 badges, and explain one's for your afro and one's to carry around when afro-less. Not sure how willing they'll be to do so, but it's worth a shot.

I might just put them on my afro for the day, and then take them off and put them in the badge box, or where ever I'm gonna put them (last year I put them on my badge
    Asking for 2 badges is awkward XD especially since they might think I'm gonna give it to someone else

WOOP WOOP!

I might just put them on my afro for the day, and then take them off and put them in the badge box, or where ever I'm gonna put them (last year I put them on my badge
    Asking for 2 badges is awkward XD especially since they might think I'm gonna give it to someone else

Yeah, the great thing about the badges being pins is it's super easy to move them around, pin them to all sorts of things. You should easily be able to take them off the afro and put them on, say, your lanyard.

• feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    I need to keep training my Pokemon and setting up teams. I can't wait to try to beat you leaders!

edited February 2012
    Just be careful if you are keeping your badge somewhere other than a case; there's lots of moving and bumping around at PAX and it's not unheard of pins getting lost, even on lanyards.

This happened to me at the first year PPL ran and I was very sad to come home to realize one of my hard-earned badges had gone missing.

cocowoushi on
    cocowoushi wrote:
    Just be careful if you are keeping your badge somewhere other than a case; there's lots of moving and bumping around at PAX and it's not unheard of pins getting lost, even on lanyards.

This happened to me at the first year PPL ran and I was very sad to come home to realize one of my hard-earned badges had gone missing.

This almost happened to me last year. So lucky I caught it before I walked too far. I only had three to begin with!

cocowoushi wrote:

When I wear pins, I periodically check to make sure I don't lose them. I've lost plenty in the past so now it's become almost a reflex to check they're there before I go anywhere lol.

I hope I can do a case, but I am lazy and busy, so we'll see

WOOP WOOP!
  • ZombiewskiZombiewski New JerseyRegistered User regular
    For those of you who've gotten badges in the past, where do you find is the best place to challenge leaders? At the meetups or catching them as they float about the show?

Soul Silver FC: 0045 5822 7430, White FC: 0175 2366 9720, White 2 FC: 1636 2031 2006
    My NES blog and my Pokemon Snap tumblr.
    Zombiewski wrote:
    For those of you who've gotten badges in the past, where do you find is the best place to challenge leaders? At the meetups or catching them as they float about the show?

Last year I literally spent my entire Saturday in the Handheld Game Lounge challenging gym leaders. I got there around 11, left at 7 to go to a tf2 thing and then returned until 11 and danced then wandered then slept... I had so much planned that day and I sorta got caught up in all of the challenges XD I admit though, it was amazing.

WOOP WOOP!
    I caught a few around the show floor. Its a good bet to challenge them while they're bored and waiting on a massive line, I think. But what AsianKnight said. Handheld lounge is a pretty great place to hunt. Plus those comfy bean bag chairs...

Last year there were several tables and chairs set up in the expo hall but off to the side, away from the crowd. Someone stopped me in the hall and we moved over to them, where I had at least 6 more people find me from walking by or seeing my scarf from the 2nd floor.

There's usually at least a couple of leaders in the hand held lounge and we have set meet-up times every day where we gather en mass. Lines are also a good time to battle us, though maybe not the easiest to find us in.

However, we all have twitter and try to tweet where we are if we're going to be in one place for a while.

Since we have over 20 leaders this year (!) you should be able to find 8 of us in 3 days. Plus you need to keep your eyes peeled for ambitious rivals waiting to meet your gaze.....

• RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Would it be ok if Trainers were to ask Gym Leaders (Not the elite 4 peeps or the champ) for a good ol fashion 3v3? I know it's a lot of fun, but theres so much to do at PAX I wouldn't want to spend all my time playing the mons.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • ZombiewskiZombiewski New JerseyRegistered User regular
    cocowoushi wrote:
    Since we have over 20 leaders this year (!) you should be able to find 8 of us in 3 days. Plus you need to keep your eyes peeled for ambitious rivals waiting to meet your gaze.....

I'm glad to see there are more leaders this year, since the lines could get a tad long last time. As Riokenn said, there's so much to do I don't want to do just one thing all day.

That said, SUPER excited for Rivals. Hopefully that'll get my shy ass to actually talk to people.

Soul Silver FC: 0045 5822 7430, White FC: 0175 2366 9720, White 2 FC: 1636 2031 2006
    My NES blog and my Pokemon Snap tumblr.
  • MorgansternMorganstern Registered User regular
    Riokenn wrote:
    Would it be ok if Trainers were to ask Gym Leaders (Not the elite 4 peeps or the champ) for a good ol fashion 3v3? I know it's a lot of fun, but theres so much to do at PAX I wouldn't want to spend all my time playing the mons.

The leaders are free to choose the details of their particular gym.

Coco hit the nail squarely on the head. Handheld lounge is a great place to find leaders (especially during specified meet up times! More on that as PAX draws closer) but there's a tradeoff:

Finding leaders in the handheld lounge is easy (minimal searching required) but they may be swamped with challengers (long wait). If you find a leader wandering the convention (diligent searching required) it's very likely that you'll be able to challenge them immediately (no wait). So yeah! The choice... IS YOURS!

In my opinion, though, searching for/running into leaders randomly is part of the fun of things. The handheld lounge is great for getting lots of badges or finding that one leader who has been eluding you, but it removes the sort of Alternate-Reality aspect of things.
    Zombiewski wrote:
    That said, SUPER excited for Rivals. Hopefully that'll get my shy ass to actually talk to people.

That's the idea! We want you to Shed Skin your Shuckle Shell, stop being such a Clamperl, and hopefully meet some new people! (Was that enough pokemon references? I tried to add as many as I could, but add too many and things get a little Chansey.)
    Riokenn wrote:

You can always ask! As Morganstern mentions, gym leaders set the rules for their gym... some might already be doing 3v3, or something EVEN CRAZIER! You never know!

Riokenn wrote:

Also, depending on how busy it is and how quickly we want to have our lines go, we have done in the past a "First to 3 KOs win." That way you can use your full team of 6. But yes, it's usually up to the leader. Some leaders might even have an alternate way for you to win your badge. Just when you're not expecting it...........

DANCE OFF!

edited February 2012
    cocowoushi wrote:
    Riokenn wrote:

Also, depending on how busy it is and how quickly we want to have our lines go, we have done in the past a "First to 3 KOs win." That way you can use your full team of 6. But yes, it's usually up to the leader. Some leaders might even have an alternate way for you to win your badge. Just when you're not expecting it...........

DANCE OFF!

Last year on Sunday as one gym leader had to leave to convention he gave me one for beating him in Rock Paper Scissors. That was fun, because he was in such a rush when my friend challenged him right after me he just threw a few badges at us and ran.
    That was my favorite badge I got. I was glad I got it, because if memory serves I heard he was a good gym leader, and I had a last minute team. He would probably have creamed me. (Don't ask who it was I don't remember. I saw him for the 20 seconds we played rock paper scissors)

TheAsianKnight on
    WOOP WOOP!
  • DanUNGDanUNG Registered User regular
    Propriety wrote:
    A badge afro! Practical AND stylish?! :O

A new leader is up! And that leader is... ME?! :O Whaaaaaat?!

www.paxpokemonleague.net

Good. Hypno and I look forward to destroying you.