Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[EAST] PAX Pokemon League 2012: Rivals!

1679111215

Posts

  • zerzhulzerzhul Old General Registered User, Moderator mod
  • ProprietyPropriety Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote:
    for the PPL, it's B&W only.

    Yep! Besides reducing confusion, this means we get to use IR battles, which speeds things up significantly!

    That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • DanUNGDanUNG Registered User regular
    So glad we're doing IR battles. I finally get to dust off my Game Boy Color!

    Oh...wait...

  • RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    DanUNG wrote:
    So glad we're doing IR battles. I finally get to dust off my Game Boy Color!

    Oh...wait...
    If this were facebook, I'd "like" this post. But since I can't, I'll just quote it instead to show it's important enough to be reposted.

    Although it's convenient and overall a great thing we're using B&W, the part of me that hasn't quite finished the game and doesn't want to banish my Shuckle team to B&W is a sad turtle. I like HG better, but that's my bias.

  • ShaderShader Registered User regular
    Doc Rogers wrote:
    What's the majority of which version most people will be playing? White, black, diamond, platinum? yadda, yadda.

    The League will be accepting challenges on Black and White Pokemon games only. I'm sure there will be challengers (and a gym leader or two) carrying around older cartridges-but we can only accept challenges on B/W.

  • Gumbyx84Gumbyx84 Registered User regular
    Shader wrote: »
    Doc Rogers wrote:
    What's the majority of which version most people will be playing? White, black, diamond, platinum? yadda, yadda.

    The League will be accepting challenges on Black and White Pokemon games only. I'm sure there will be challengers (and a gym leader or two) carrying around older cartridges-but we can only accept challenges on B/W.

    I plan on bringing my team from last year along with my remaining 2011 badges.

  • ProprietyPropriety Registered User regular
    Gumbyx84 wrote: »
    Shader wrote: »
    Doc Rogers wrote:
    What's the majority of which version most people will be playing? White, black, diamond, platinum? yadda, yadda.

    The League will be accepting challenges on Black and White Pokemon games only. I'm sure there will be challengers (and a gym leader or two) carrying around older cartridges-but we can only accept challenges on B/W.

    I plan on bringing my team from last year along with my remaining 2011 badges.

    I'll have my team from last year and last year's badges too, but they've all moved to Black and White now. :P Also last year's badges to not count toward your eight required badges to challenge the elite four. In case anyone thinks about being sneaky. :P

    That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    Propriety wrote:
    I'll have my team from last year and last year's badges too, but they've all moved to Black and White now. :P Also last year's badges to not count toward your eight required badges to challenge the elite four. In case anyone thinks about being sneaky. :P
    Like that time I acquired "badges" as the Shuckle Expert! They were fun to collect, super easy to get, and weren't worth an ice heal. Still, they were lots of fun.

  • mikedgmikedg Registered User regular
    I haven't picked up B/W yet. Am I going to get stomped? And anything to be aware of if I'm using a 3DS?

  • KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
    mikedg wrote:
    I haven't picked up B/W yet. Am I going to get stomped? And anything to be aware of if I'm using a 3DS?

    Given that the battles are all "flat" (your pokemon will be automatically leveled to 50), you shouldn't get stomped too badly. You probably won't have time to develop quite as diverse a roster of pokemon or powers. Your best bet might be to have a heavily themed team (like, say, lightning) so that you can beat trainers with opposite themes (Oceanus seems to have a water theme and Yeager a flying theme, both of which should be susceptible to lightning) and get at least some badges, even if you can't get them all.

    If there's some people on here more expert than I am (which is just about everyone), maybe someone would like to do a "10 days to victory" guide about how to build at least a competent team in a short period of time.

  • MorgansternMorganstern Registered User regular
    KoalaBro2 wrote:
    mikedg wrote:
    I haven't picked up B/W yet. Am I going to get stomped? And anything to be aware of if I'm using a 3DS?

    Given that the battles are all "flat" (your pokemon will be automatically leveled to 50), you shouldn't get stomped too badly. You probably won't have time to develop quite as diverse a roster of pokemon or powers. Your best bet might be to have a heavily themed team (like, say, lightning) so that you can beat trainers with opposite themes (Oceanus seems to have a water theme and Yeager a flying theme, both of which should be susceptible to lightning) and get at least some badges, even if you can't get them all.

    If there's some people on here more expert than I am (which is just about everyone), maybe someone would like to do a "10 days to victory" guide about how to build at least a competent team in a short period of time.

    There will be plenty of leaders that will be a good match for people just picking up the game. My advice is to play through the game and challenge the league with the team you build along the way. That way you'll have a rounded out team that you know how to play well.

    Also, I haven't had any problems playing Black & White on my 3DS.

  • ProprietyPropriety Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    There has never been, and may never be, a better gym leader than this: introducing THE MYSTERIOUS MR. MOUSTACHE!

    It's so... beautiful. ToT

    (I have a strange feeling we'll be seeing more of this fellow in the future....)

    Propriety on
    That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • zerzhulzerzhul Old General Registered User, Moderator mod
    Propriety wrote: »
    There has never been, and may never be, a better gym leader than this: introducing THE MYSTERIOUS MR. MOUSTACHE!

    It's so... beautiful. ToT

    (I have a strange feeling we'll be seeing more of this fellow in the future....)

    Well he's obviously a member of The Lando Society.

  • feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    That is a beautiful story and a gorgeous moustache.

    Noob question: how many Pokemon actually HAVE moustaches?

  • peetsnackpeetsnack Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    That is a beautiful story and a gorgeous moustache.

    Noob question: how many Pokemon actually HAVE moustaches?

    Probopass and Landomon.

    http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Probopass_(Pok%C3%A9mon)
    http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Landomon_(Pok%C3%A9mon)

    peetsnack on
    sig-500x80.jpg
  • cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    peetsnack wrote: »
    That is a beautiful story and a gorgeous moustache.

    Noob question: how many Pokemon actually HAVE moustaches?

    Probopass and Landomon.

    http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Probopass_(Pok%C3%A9mon)
    http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Landomon_(Pok%C3%A9mon)

    Oh my god I totally tried the Landomon link to see if it would work.

  • ScunosiScunosi Registered User regular
    I'd expect to see that new terrier, too.

    Oh now I feel sorry for the man. There can only be so many and now we're all scouring the 'pedias to find them.


    Keeping up with you guys sure has been fun though. Makes me wonder what kind of Leader I'd be, and if I'd go with a regular mixed Rival team or a more themed one. I've always tended to play pretty pragmatically and try to cover most if not all of my bases (plus gotta keep a few travel HM's on me) so I'd probably end up looking more like your typical Ranger with a bunch of Pokemon that I like but are also useful. A few of those guys, as cute as they may be, just don't seem like they'd be able to do much of anything if it wasn't for contests/battling.

  • ProprietyPropriety Registered User regular
    Scunosi wrote: »
    I'd expect to see that new terrier, too.

    Oh now I feel sorry for the man. There can only be so many and now we're all scouring the 'pedias to find them.
    You would be surprised how many there are....
    Scunosi wrote: »
    Keeping up with you guys sure has been fun though. Makes me wonder what kind of Leader I'd be, and if I'd go with a regular mixed Rival team or a more themed one. I've always tended to play pretty pragmatically and try to cover most if not all of my bases (plus gotta keep a few travel HM's on me) so I'd probably end up looking more like your typical Ranger with a bunch of Pokemon that I like but are also useful. A few of those guys, as cute as they may be, just don't seem like they'd be able to do much of anything if it wasn't for contests/battling.

    I'm glad you're enjoying it! I'm trying to keep it interesting. And if you're interested in becoming a leader, you can always submit an application for next year!

    Trying to come up with a good monotype team is a lot of fun, and very different from what you usually have to do in the games.

    That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • ProprietyPropriety Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    If you've got questions about the PPL, you're in luck! That mysterious figure Morganstern has graced us with a steaming pile of... answers? We think? Check out Morganstern's Do's and Don'ts! They're good for you, like Brussels sprouts! http://paxpokemonleague.net/

    Propriety on
    That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • TrionTrion Registered User regular
    And now I am considering dressing as my favorite 1890's robber barron!

  • VolaroVolaro The Iron Gentleman Registered User regular
    I hope there isn't any tigers at the con wearing scarves. I won't be able to resist that temptation.

  • MorgansternMorganstern Registered User regular
    Both dangerous propositions for the risk of being torn asunder by razor sharp claws and being made to look foolish in editorial cartoons.

    Tigers are known for their political satire.

  • ProprietyPropriety Registered User regular
    To ease those Monday morning blues, we've got a new gym leader singing his way into our hearts! It's famed rival Nando, the Wandering Minstrel!

    That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    While I'm willing to do battle with him, I think I may try to do the Dance challenge against Nando.

  • cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    While I'm willing to do battle with him, I think I may try to do the Dance challenge against Nando.
    Dance Off WHILE battling!!

  • MorgansternMorganstern Registered User regular
    cocowoushi wrote: »
    While I'm willing to do battle with him, I think I may try to do the Dance challenge against Nando.
    Dance Off WHILE battling!!

    Overheard at Pax East 2012:

    "Why has that guy with the ukulele been playing Dance Central for six hours straight?"

  • ProprietyPropriety Registered User regular
    We're kicking it into high gear with the leader releases. Today it's Antoine, the Proud Bug King! http://paxpokemonleague.net/2012/02/leader-antoine-the-proud-bug-king/

    That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • VolaroVolaro The Iron Gentleman Registered User regular
    All hail the king of bugs! Always loved that type.

  • cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    We're almost 5weeks away from PAX! Fine tune those teams! Start thinking of your winning catch phrase!

  • MorgansternMorganstern Registered User regular
    Need help rounding out your perfect team? These websites are brimming with way too much information!

    Serebii

    Bulbapedia

    Veekun

    And don't forget about the PPL forums: paxpokemonleague.net/forum

  • peetsnackpeetsnack Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Need help rounding out your perfect team? These websites are brimming with way too much information!

    Serebii

    Bulbapedia

    Veekun

    And don't forget about the PPL forums: paxpokemonleague.net/forum

    Perfect team? There is only one perfect team:
    Spoiler:

    peetsnack on
    sig-500x80.jpg
  • xenardxenard Registered User regular
    My team is set and ready for battle

    steam_sig.png
    3DS Friend Code: 2449-5711-0640
  • MorgansternMorganstern Registered User regular
    peetsnack wrote: »

    Perfect team? There is only one perfect team:
    Spoiler:

    Ah yes, but what if you wanted to learn more about Shuckle? For instance, did you know:
    Bulbapedia wrote: »
    In Generation II, if a Shuckle is made to hold a standard Berry, it will in time break down into Berry Juice, which doubles its effectiveness. If held even longer, the Berry Juice will harden and turn into a Rare Candy. This functionality was removed from later Generations.

    or perhaps:
    Bulbapedia wrote: »
    Despite being weak to Water-type moves and being unable to use the move Surf, it appears in the sea in Pal Park.

  • VolaroVolaro The Iron Gentleman Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Bulbapedia wrote: »
    In Generation II, if a Shuckle is made to hold a standard Berry, it will in time break down into Berry Juice, which doubles its effectiveness. If held even longer, the Berry Juice will harden and turn into a Rare Candy. This functionality was removed from later Generations.

    That's pretty amazing, I never knew that. You'd think they'd give Shuckle access to some kind of ability to double the power of berries it uses or something as a callback to it.

    Edit: Whoops, nevermind. Thought it meant any berry.

    Volaro on
  • peetsnackpeetsnack Registered User regular
    peetsnack wrote: »

    Perfect team? There is only one perfect team:
    Spoiler:

    Ah yes, but what if you wanted to learn more about Shuckle? For instance, did you know:
    Bulbapedia wrote: »
    In Generation II, if a Shuckle is made to hold a standard Berry, it will in time break down into Berry Juice, which doubles its effectiveness. If held even longer, the Berry Juice will harden and turn into a Rare Candy. This functionality was removed from later Generations.

    or perhaps:
    Bulbapedia wrote: »
    Despite being weak to Water-type moves and being unable to use the move Surf, it appears in the sea in Pal Park.

    Shuckle goes where Shuckle wants because Shuckle DGAF!
    Spoiler:

    sig-500x80.jpg
  • MorgansternMorganstern Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The Handheld Lounge is probably the highest concentration of DSs you're likely to see, so when you're taking a break from challenging the league be sure to fire up your Entralink for fun and prizes!

    Morganstern on
  • cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    I still don't know what to use the Entralink for. Then again, I'm going to be too busy battling to find out.

  • ProprietyPropriety Registered User regular
    Gumbyx84 wrote: »

    Yes! I was going to make the announcement here too, but the forums were down this morning. A familiar face has been revealed! It's Hamato, the Safari Master! :D

    That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • FearlessTeacherFearlessTeacher Registered User regular
    I have some prizes that i can donate.

Sign In or Register to comment.