As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] For the Love of God Do Not Buy Space Siege

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Banzai5150 wrote:
    How is Elven Legacy? Get one game? The Pack? Skip it? I saw someone recently say something good, but I need more convincing!

It would seem the classy answer to this question is to just gift me the game to find out for myself. Thank you very much Classy Monocle wearing Iolo!

I like lime dammit!

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    Miso RoneryMiso Ronery Registered User regular
    A moment of silence please for Ugg, my first Dungeons of Dredmor character.

I thought he was going to go all the way, and I was really excited after clearing a monster zoo on the fifth level. So excited that I wasn't paying attention to what I was dropping into the Horadric Lutefisk Cube, and sure enough accidentally dropped into it the one item I know of that you REALLY should not drop into it. If you have played this wonderful game, you know the result of that brilliant combination...

I freaked out, being on fire and all, and somehow didn't think to immediately drink a potion, instead stupidly opting to make a run for the edge of the resultant firestorm. Ugg's flesh protested, but not loudly enough apparently.

He was the first character that has ever gotten me invested in a Rogue-like, and he will be missed.

I hope you find peace wherever you are Ugg. Your rest is well earned.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Bullio wrote:

To those that have played Metro 2033, I have one word for you.
    Librarian.
    That is all.

god damn them. I'm still in the basement of that building because I needed a break after fighting through the upper levels of it. Those things make me hate my life.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    So I just noticed the Steam Update a while ago separated my friends list from my groups list. This is fucking fantastic why didnt they do this sooner?

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote:
    So I just noticed the Steam Update a while ago separated my friends list from my groups list. This is fucking fantastic why didnt they do this sooner?

That stuff was in the trading beta, which went live last week.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Guys, I just bought a racing wheel from GameStop.

Do I need to worry that they opened it and removed the pedals?

Damn, I wish I had been able to keep up with the progression of the thread so I could have recommended you wheels to get. However, if you're new to racing sims it's best you start off small and make sure playing them is something you actually enjoy. Otherwise, I'd be pushing you to seriously consider investing in a Fanatec or Logitech G27 wheel. That said, I am also a crazy person who has spend over $600 on a wheel, pedal, and stand setup.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    So, I really love Final Fantasy Tactics. Elven Legacy sounds like it can scratch that itch pretty well. Thoughts? I read a couple reviews. Seems worth it for $5.10, but I would like to hear what people think about it.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    The screenshots of the daily deal make it look sort of like HoMM, is it similar or am I just seeing grids and going "oh well obviously a fantasy grid game is HoMM"?

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    So, if I've never played Panzer General or anything else from the company, what should I expect from Elven Legacy? $5 for the whole pack seems like too good a deal to pass up, since it at least looks interesting.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    Hey guys, I have a spare copy of GTA San Andreas laying around if anybody wants to trade with me

I accept games and unloved tf2 items!

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Remember with San andreas, though, you're gonna have to do some work to get it to a moddable state. I.E downgrading the patch to 1.0.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Well crap, I didn't know that. Still, it's available if someone's interested in it.

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    lostprophetlostprophet Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote:
    Guys, I just bought a racing wheel from GameStop.

Do I need to worry that they opened it and removed the pedals?

Damn, I wish I had been able to keep up with the progression of the thread so I could have recommended you wheels to get. However, if you're new to racing sims it's best you start off small and make sure playing them is something you actually enjoy. Otherwise, I'd be pushing you to seriously consider investing in a Fanatec or Logitech G27 wheel. That said, I am also a crazy person who has spend over $600 on a wheel, pedal, and stand setup.

So then what are your favorite racing games for the PC?

Steam: macg1991
    wotuserbar01.jpg: macg1991
    Check out the Penny Arcade World of Tanks thread to join us in some fun times.
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    huh

I wonder why the tf2 stuff for the potato sack doesn't show up in my steam inventory

do I actually need to log in to tf2 to get it to appear or whatever

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    yeah

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    So then what are your favorite racing games for the PC?

Say what you will about the level or realism between console sims vs PC sims like rFactor and iRacing, but I play primarily Forza 3 and NFS: Shift 2 on 360 and GT5. Shift 2 and F1 2010 are the only games that are also available on PC, but I prefer to play racing games in front of a TV instead of my computer monitor.

I bought a Fanatec wheel because it allows me to play racing games on the PC, PS3 and 360, and since I play mostly on the 360 the Fanatec was my only option when I wanted to get something better than the Microsoft wheel. I was also anticipating the release of GT5, and I didn't want to buy a separate wheel and pedal setup to use for that. I ended up not liking GT5 at all, but maybe patches over the last few months have made the AI not completely terrible.

That said, since Minor Incident wanted to get a wheel (and shares my interest/passion for high end headphones) he'd be someone who could appreciate how much better a racing game plays with a really good wheel. I was also partially joking because getting a high end wheel for Hot Pursuit is crazy talk. Also, shame on me for bringing console talk into the Steam thread. I may have make amends to The Newell by buying something.

• Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Man, I'm loving NFS Shift (except for that asshole who keeps talking to me). I should probably be kicking myself for not buying Shift 2 instead, but hopefully it'll be on sale for less than $15 by the time I get bored with the first one.

Edit: Playing with a Driving Force GT by the way.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    Stryker43Stryker43 Registered User regular
    Ok Steam thread, I've got a $15 budget this weekend. Would I get more enjoyment out of Bastion, Rock of Ages, or one of the things on sale? Help!

camo_sig2.png
    XBL/PSN/Origin/NNID: StrykerFL GuildWars/GW2: Anton Firemaker FFRK: erNA
  • Options
    If you find the guy in Shift annoying, I'm sorry to say the guy they got to do it in Shift 2 is even worse.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Stryker43 wrote:
    Ok Steam thread, I've got a $15 budget this weekend. Would I get more enjoyment out of Bastion, Rock of Ages, or one of the things on sale? Help!

Oooh. This is tough. I love both dearly.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    I'd buy Bastion, but that's my broke self talking. I don't actually have it but I played the demo :rotate:

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    Bastion has way more replay value. ROA is great but Bastion's a work of art BUY BASTION IS WHAT I'M SAYING

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Yeah. Buy bastion. And with that last five bucks, buy the soundtrack.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    So pleased with my signed soundtrack cd. it cost as much as the game. DON'T CARE

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Bastion is much more game.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    Cormac wrote:
    If you find the guy in Shift annoying, I'm sorry to say the guy they got to do it in Shift 2 is even worse.

Well, I don't actually have a problem with the guy, just the fact that there is a guy talking to me at all. I don't want a dude talking to me pretending that I'm some competitor in the racing league with THE BEST DRIVERS-- THE FASTEST CARS-- THE HIGHEST STAKES

I just want to use my toy steering wheel to drive a pretend car. vroom vroom, beep beep. (also why is there no horn control in this game? beep beep!)

• Options
    Stryker43Stryker43 Registered User regular
    Thanks for the replies. Went with Bastion, since you both seem to love it =)

camo_sig2.png
    XBL/PSN/Origin/NNID: StrykerFL GuildWars/GW2: Anton Firemaker FFRK: erNA
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    just beat rock of ages, it was good fun

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    Pre-ordered HardReset, game is fun and looks fantastic from the demo. The menus for the weapon upgrades is probably the best I've seen in any game.

XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Lepwave wrote:
    Pre-ordered HardReset, game is fun and looks fantastic from the demo. The menus for the weapon upgrades is probably the best I've seen in any game.

It's a shame that the actual main menu for the game itself is about the worst I've seen. (Apparently the demo's onerous and useless menu animations are already sped up from the preview code. Mind asplodes.)

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    So what's Elven Legacy all about? I haven't sunk a ton of time into but I'll let you know what I've seen.

It's turn based, with 3D terrain and units on a hex-grid map. Units gain experience and level up, unlocking abilities. These units are persistent, carrying over from one battle to the next. If you lose them, they are gone. In between battles you get an opportunity to recruit new units to your cause. The battles are resolved in typical wargaming odds based fashion, making it fairly easy to predict the outcome of combat. The game is not easy though, expect to get kicked in the balls. You'll have to really use your units and their abilities to the utmost to get the perfect victory conditions, which gives you more opportunity in the campaign as a whole, mainly through opening branches for you to progress through. The story is pretty much a throw-away affair, centered around hilariously genocidal Elves and their quest to keep the bad magic under wraps. The art is pretty good, the presentation is so-so, but the gameplay is solid and the interface is plain and easy to understand.

edit: And because I see this alot;
    Zxerol wrote:
    Lepwave wrote:

It's a shame that the actual main menu for the game itself is about the worst I've seen. (Apparently the demo's onerous and useless menu animations are already sped up from the preview code. Mind asplodes.)

The devs have included an option for Fast Menus in the full release of the game, and are listening to community feedback and adding options and making tweaks (where they see fit).

Drake on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I saw someone mention Super Meat Boy so I feel compelled to come in here and tell you all again that it is the best platformer ever made.

And if you don't own it you're a bad person.

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Finished Metro 2033. What a fantastic game. That ending was suitably weird. Is the game supposed to end on a black screen after the credits with sounds of wind blowing? Just want to make sure I didn't miss anything.

I'm super stoked for Last Light now. 2012 is going to be a busy year in gaming for me.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Bullio wrote:
    Finished Metro 2033. What a fantastic game. That ending was suitably weird. Is the game supposed to end on a black screen after the credits with sounds of wind blowing? Just want to make sure I didn't miss anything.

I'm super stoked for Last Light now. 2012 is going to be a busy year in gaming for me.
    Did you make friends with the monsters? That's the 'good' ending.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Drake wrote:
    So what's Elven Legacy all about? I haven't sunk a ton of time into but I'll let you know what I've seen.

It's turn based, with 3D terrain and units on a hex-grid map. Units gain experience and level up, unlocking abilities. These units are persistent, carrying over from one battle to the next. If you lose them, they are gone. In between battles you get an opportunity to recruit new units to your cause. The battles are resolved in typical wargaming odds based fashion, making it fairly easy to predict the outcome of combat. The game is not easy though, expect to get kicked in the balls. You'll have to really use your units and their abilities to the utmost to get the perfect victory conditions, which gives you more opportunity in the campaign as a whole, mainly through opening branches for you to progress through. The story is pretty much a throw-away affair, centered around hilariously genocidal Elves and their quest to keep the bad magic under wraps. The art is pretty good, the presentation is so-so, but the gameplay is solid and the interface is plain and easy to understand.

I'm enjoying the game, but yeah it will kick you in the balls out of no where. I was playing the beginning part, not far in, and still getting used to how everything works. My main Hero guy you gotta keep alive, of course who has the best stuff, was in front after me not being smart about placement of my troops, and got nuked out of no where. Taught me a good lesson. (leave him in the base) :P

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Wanna know how awesome this place is?

I went to go see a movie. I check my email after Kalia sends me a message. Three people sent me Elven Legacy. Three. I don't think I posted about it, or even posted at all today so far. Totally unprompted random kindness. So, obviously, I can only accept one, and that one will be Kalia's. Banzai/Iolo if you see this please send your gifts on to someone else, otherwise I'll send you a PM in case this gets lost in the thread.

Kalia
    Banzai5150
    Iolo

You guys rock.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Bullio wrote:
    Librarian.
    That is all.
    I'm not even sure how you're supposed to deal with that section and I killed all of them so I could find the right way instead of running round in circles. First one I used way too much of my ammo, but afterwards I found out that they go down pretty easy after five throwing knives.

• Options
    I wouldn't mind one of those copies of elven legacy, if they're still floating around in the ether.

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    I wish they made librarians twice as tough so you were really forced to do the library the proper way: constantly shitting yourself in terror.

The first time through though it is probably one of my top 5 gaming moments of all time. Ranger mode actually makes it easy to just kill them which is lame and hugely undersells a fantastic level.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ParielPariel Registered User regular
    Bullio wrote:

Librarian.
    That is all.
    god damn them. I'm still in the basement of that building because I needed a break after fighting through the upper levels of it. Those things make me hate my life.

Holy crap yes, they're awfully hard to kill. I was surprised by how short Metro 2033 was, but it was more than worth the $5 I paid for it.

I'm not in the throes of Fallout 3 GOTY addiction. I hope to escape by next weekend, but we'll see.

This discussion has been closed.