As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

When You're a [chat]

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    ‎"WARNING: if you see Facebook posts offering a free clip from the new Nickelback album DO NOT CLICK. It links to a free clip from the new Nickelback album."

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    That's how relationships start.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Mim wrote:
    Mim wrote:
    In a picture or real life?

Youtube videos. It got a lot of down votes though but I think its because some people are against designer puppies or something else. I'm not sure.

BUT IT WAS SO TINY.

tiny and little and fluffy?

AND CUTE.

I wanted to roll on the ground with it and squee.

Probable result: confused but happy wagging and face-licking.

Yeah, my dog doesn't do that often. She just looks at me like I'm crazy.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Elki wrote:
    ‎"WARNING: if you see Facebook posts offering a free clip from the new Nickelback album DO NOT CLICK. It links to a free clip from the new Nickelback album."

I chuckled

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    Someone called me needy and argumentative but I beg to differ.

• Options
    I think I shall watch Iron Man again.

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Hey. Hey you. Yeah you.

Give you five bucks to go get my laundry out of the dryer, okay? Thanks.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote:
    Hey. Hey you. Yeah you.

Give you five bucks to go get my laundry out of the dryer, okay? Thanks.

I don't fold or do windows.

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I'm watching the theatrical version of Blade Runner for the first time. I'm not a fan of the voiceovers.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I think I may be officially done reading ASoIaF. Book 3 spoilers:

For reals, spoilers:
    I got to the part where Robb and Catelyn get murdered. I just don't think I can care about this story anymore. It's long and boring and meandering and we follow characters that flail around uselessly and then die pathetic deaths. Following these characters is unsatisfying, in my opinion.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Elki wrote:
    I'm watching the theatrical version of Blade Runner for the first time. I'm not a fan of the voiceovers.

I haven't even seen that version.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote:

For reals, spoilers:
    I got to the part where Robb and Catelyn get murdered. I just don't think I can care about this story anymore. It's long and boring and meandering and we follow characters that flail around uselessly and then die pathetic deaths. Following these characters is unsatisfying, in my opinion.

Which is exactly what the first book promised.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Elki wrote:

I'm stealing that. :P

• Options
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:

For reals, spoilers:

Eh, somewhat? Yeah, that's what happened to one character. And yeah, he served a useful and illustrative function about the nature of the setting and all that jazz. But when every character is pretty much that, again, in slow motion? It wears very thin very fast for me.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    So don't read it.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    For me, I'll probably stop reading if Tyrion buys it. I have not yet read Dance with Dragons so I have no idea what happens to him.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Dumbledore kills Tyrion.

• Options
    T comes back as a ghost and tells Hamlet to kill his father.

• Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Incenjucar wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:

For reals, spoilers:

Eh, somewhat? Yeah, that's what happened to one character. And yeah, he served a useful and illustrative function about the nature of the setting and all that jazz. But when every character is pretty much that, again, in slow motion? It wears very thin very fast for me.
    it gets better in that way. the primary characters seem* to emerge after book 3 and stay around

*you never know.

• Options
    Nova_C wrote:
    For me, I'll probably stop reading if Tyrion buys it. I have not yet read Dance with Dragons so I have no idea what happens to him.
    he gets shorter

• Options
    Nova: Please edit your unspoilered spoiler.

I'd probably be more upset if I intended to read more of the books.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote:

You can often figure out how an author does things, at least within a story, after some time spent with one of their works. Similarly, you can pick up, say, Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man and start predicting the contents of later chapters with a lot accuracy. May require cynicism though.

• Options
    Jewcar: I feel that good writing should meet some of the reader's expectations, but upset others, otherwise it becomes stale.

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Man, Minecraft has changed a lot since I last played it, which was when the Nether was added. Was watching a 1.8 video and there's so much stuff that's different.

• Options
    I enjoy the way Martin is mixing up the fortunes of his characters, it's very different from the standard fantasy novel treatment of "Character X endures horribleness, but rises above it all and wins in the end" that I've seen so many times before.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Nova_C wrote:
    Elki wrote:

I'm stealing that. :P

I, too, am stealing it.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    edited September 2011
    I enjoy the way Martin is mixing up the fortunes of his characters, it's very different from the standard fantasy novel treatment of "Character X endures horribleness, but rises above it all and wins in the end" that I've seen so many times before.

I think his point is that, thus far, it's "Character X endures trials, and then more trials, and then dies"

And my only advice is, keep reading.

Tamin on
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Tamin wrote:

I think his point is that, thus far, it's "Character X endures trials, and then more trials, and then dies"

Well that certainly has been the case for certain characters that fell into the classic
    "hero"
    role imo. And my reaction each time has been "Oh come on you're kidding me, this is BS Martin wtf!" Then I think about it for a bit, brood, continue reading, pick someone else to be my new favorite/pick, repeat.

If the "pattern" we are all picking up on continues and culminates
    in 0 surviors at the conclusion of the series
    I'll be pretty dissapointed. But I'm hoping that won't be the case. And even if the ending isn't enjoyable, the series has been a fun read so I can't be too bitter.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
  • Options
    Tamin wrote:

Well that certainly has been the case for certain characters that fell into the classic
    "hero"
    role imo. And my reaction each time has been "Oh come on you're kidding me, this is BS Martin wtf!" Then I think about it for a bit, brood, continue reading, pick someone else to be my new favorite/pick, repeat.

If the "pattern" we are all picking up on continues and culminates
    in 0 surviors at the conclusion of the series
    I'll be pretty dissapointed. But I'm hoping that won't be the case. And even if the ending isn't enjoyable, the series has been a fun read so I can't be too bitter.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    tyrannus wrote:

Polar Bear Quint: "You ever see a Beluga's eyes? They have lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eyes.Until they bite you, and the eyes roll over.Then there's the horrible scream,and the water turns red. And despite all the pounding and hollering, all the belugas come in, and rip you to pieces."

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    bullshit bear propaganda

tyrannus on
  • Options
    Tamin wrote:

character x endurs trials and then dies. becomes a reference for other characters based on things he said/did and then eventually is forgotten.

like we all are.

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    Gotta climb really hard tomorrow

also, fuck I'm so bored

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Brought my PS3 with me when I got dispatched to work.

I am regretting this decision. It turns out there was a reason I had some games for it I had never beaten. Infamous and Ninja Gaiden 2 Sigma are so blaaaaaaaaand.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Dunadan019 wrote:
    Tamin wrote:

character x endures trials and then dies. becomes a reference for other characters based on things he said/did and then eventually is forgotten.

like we all are.

One of my favorite parts is really looking at the internal thoughts and realizing these people are making decisions based on information that is, in some cases, months out of date.

• Options
    Gotta climb really hard tomorrow

also, fuck I'm so bored

muchbetter.jpg

Russian Roulette, NERF edition.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    After one of our nerf fights about half of us went out to get some pizza so we played Nerf Russian Roulette

My mom walked in in the middle of it and watched us

and she was like "Are you...?"

And I went "Yes mom, we're playing Nerf Russian Roulette."

She worries about me.

• Options
    Tamin wrote:
    Dunadan019 wrote:
    Tamin wrote:

character x endures trials and then dies. becomes a reference for other characters based on things he said/did and then eventually is forgotten.

like we all are.

One of my favorite parts is really looking at the internal thoughts and realizing these people are making decisions based on information that is, in some cases, months out of date.

Ya, thats always great when someone comes up with a brilliant idea with woefully stale intel and you can't help but think "oh no! He/She doesn't know!" :)

Martin is clearly pulling from history to define the world and peoples he is writing about in the series. Nothing unusual about that, I just wonder if I was a bigger history buff if I could pick out characters in history that had lives similiar to those in the books.

This discussion has been closed.