As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Syndicate: Sharp uprise in eye-stabbings THIS WEEK

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Holy! XboxAhoy (of CoD weapons videos) has released some Syndicate videos. Spoilers ahead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1O5G8dwZWJ0

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Is there any Xbox players or a PA syndicate I can join?

My Live ID is same as forum name. Rubix42 Hope we can get in some co-op.

I did create a Syndicate for myself. Wamdicate. The game wouldn't allow Wangdicate, my first choice.

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
  • Options
    Man of the WavesMan of the Waves Registered User regular
    I just picked this up on 360. I'm only just starting the campaign, but I'll gladly jump into the online stuff if I get an invite.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Honestly, Merrit was way more interesting then Kilo. I wish I was playing as him instead.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    teg5511teg5511 Registered User regular
    I recently enjoyed the shit out of Syndicate. Starbreeze *aaaaalmost* had another gem with this one. I felt compelled to start a let's play of it, "fixing" the sometimes bland plot with judicious use of soundtrack replacement!

Here is the trailer, check it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23RVtReZRrA&list=UUMH7vqDBcMqezOyK6o5vNNQ&index=1&feature=plcp

I really wish it wasn't on origin though...

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    I'm still looking for peeps to xbox co-op with. I've been advocating for this game since day one. Trying to convince friends and family to buy it, though most said they'd only go for it at like $30 or less :(

I think picking up the minigun for the first time was worth the price of admission alone.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I have this on Xbox, Acid. Its a pretty awesome game.

My only two issues are that the guns seem kinda weak, and the light bloom is rediculous sometimes. Like, its really hard to see sometimes. The Aspari nightclub, and La Ballena were pretty bad.

Anyway, wouldn't mind trying out co-op. Skull2185 on XBL

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    It looks like interest in this game fell off a cliff (which I suppose is understandable, given the number of other strong games that have henceforth come out), but I decided to grab it from Amazon, since it was only $18 on the PC. I'm a tad annoyed at it being on Origin, but to be honest, it was just as easy to type in my serial and tell it to install as it is on Steam. I haven't played more than the first 5 minutes, but I'm liking the vibe I am getting so far! Is anyone else still playing it, or interested enough that <$20 tips the scale to trying it?

Only bitch so far: if you have an Xbox controller plugged into the PC version, it isn't smart enough to realize that I want to see the keyboard/mouse tips when that is what I'm using to control the game (tip of the hat to Saint's Row 3 and Just Cause 2 before it for getting that right!). I look forward to getting deeper into the game after work.

Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    I just finally nabbed this for the pee cee. Just knocked out the first boss on campaign and holy shit what another gem from Starbreeze. If anyone still has any interest in the co-op missions I would love to get something going.

• Options
    SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I just picked this up and it seems pretty great in spite of the bad reviews, I'm playing on Xbox360 and I've joined InfectedOmen, which apparently is placed 2nd on the leaderboards.
    If any PA'er wants to play this game and wants a Syndicate to play with, I can probably arrange it.

I played with the other Syndicate members most of today and they seem helpful, one let me know he was up for helping getting Syndicate related challenges done without me even asking.

I would also be up for helping getting stuff done if needed.

Sirialis on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    So uh, that certainly was a game.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    Wow, this got no love. Kind of a poor man's Deus Ex:HR, but it was a decent cyberpunk offering.

Worth a rental at least. Shame it wasn't on Steam, might've built up some momentum with a good sale or two.

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    I picked it up when it was $15 on Amazon, but it really did feel like a chore by the end.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Bursar wrote: »
    I picked it up when it was $15 on Amazon, but it really did feel like a chore by the end.

And the game's only like, 5 hours long!

steam_sig.png

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    I loved this game!

I mean, it wasn't the most ground-breaking, ambitious production I've ever seen, but it told a solid genre story far better than it had any right to, and the shooting felt fantastic

Wish there were still multiplayer on the PC. I quite enjoyed the handful of games I got into

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I got the game for 10 bucks recently. I haven't played through too much of it though.

That being said it was a bit too corridor shooter for me and I've been going through shooter fatigue lately.

• Options
    I like it in that you basically have magic powers, but yes, most games of this ilk are the standard "enter room, kill all mans, left trigger right trigger"

I still say Bulletstorm was the most fun I've had playing a FPS this gen.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    I just beat it.

Hell of a presentation that was right up my alley but way way too many arena fights. Obviously to pad out the game but yeesh sometimes it just did not end.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    How many times can they have me mash square to open a door, only to be kicked in the face by someone on the other end of it?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    slappybagslappybag Local Badass Minnesota, USARegistered User regular
    I agree that the game has its issues ^^ but I think it has overall gotten a bad rep for not being like its predecessor

• Options
    I never played the original Syndicate, and I was still underwhelmed.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Honestly, I think the main problem with the game was that it seemed to be a quick cash grab on EA's part.

Sad because you had a pretty interesting cyberpunk universe and it was wasted on a (for the most part) run-of-the-mill shooter.

And as someone who loves cyberpunk and is sad it doesn't get more representation these days, I was a bit disappoint.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Just like the XCOM fps, EA proably saw this as an opportunity to relaunch the IP. But Paradox is making a spiritual successor of their own: rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09/21/paradox-announce-cartel-interview/

It is probably going to be a cyberpunk XCOM.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Well, honestly I didn't mind that it was a shooter.

I was just hoping their would be more world building to it. That was my biggest problem with the game, it doesn't really immerse or invest you in the setting...so yeah, wasted opportunity.

That being said I'd pretty much finished playing Deus Ex:HR when I saw the trailer for it so I was all "More Cyberpunk! YAY!"

• Options
    It's like they threw Skrillex and Rosario Dawson at it and hoped it would mean something.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Well, honestly I didn't mind that it was a shooter.

I was just hoping their would be more world building to it. That was my biggest problem with the game, it doesn't really immerse or invest you in the setting...so yeah, wasted opportunity.

That being said I'd pretty much finished playing Deus Ex:HR when I saw the trailer for it so I was all "More Cyberpunk! YAY!"

Completely disagree

Whatever the problems with Syndicate, world-building is not really one of them

It does a fantastic job of conveying it's world and tone through its environment. It's not the most original world, since it's very much a traditional piece of genre fiction, but it's extremely well-drawn

And those little documents you find are fun reads

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    I'm reading the RPS review of it right now, and I can't say I disagree.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    Just got and beat this recently. I was so excited for it, and couldn't have cared less about it being an FPS, since I didn't play the original. I was actually glad to hear there was a cyberpunk shooter on the way, because that is an awesome idea.

I was excited up until the moment I started playing it. The guns were boring, despite how cool they seemed with all their feature sets. The setting was great, but the actual story was the bad. They promised before launch that it wouldn't be another Haze-story. Then it was exactly that, obviously-evil starting-employer is just using you as a tool (and it's played like it's a revelation), woman/rebel/love interest convinces you to fight for blahblah, you turn on former-employer, become good guy (you may not be told you're a good guy, but all the notes are there) and end. Honestly, I would've been a lot happier if I got to shoot the lady, for the things she did, including nearly/trying to kill Agent. Let me be my own Agent, have my own agency, the whole spiel she was on about, and the game was pretending to give my character. Let me be a cold hearted asshole at the end.

The worst boss fights I've seen in awhile, too. For my money, DE: HR actually had better ones, because they could be cheated-around very quickly. The bosses are all 3-round, bullet-sponge, old school bosses, where you find and exploit something over and over until bored. No one who was augmented in this game seemed like a bio-enhanced-genetic-super-soldier, they seemed like they had actual magic powers with a cyberpunk gloss. Player character included. I did not like Dart-mode. Bullet time and bullet sponging felt weird to me, and it certainly didn't make any story-sense. How does activating it let me move faster and be physically stronger? I didn't like how necessary it was to success, as well, and how unnecessary the actual "hacking" components were to success (asides from repetitive armour-breaching).

Not learning from similar shooters is also a problem here, being allowed to run through a New Game+ would've given this more life. Like The Darkness II or Crysis 2, being able to max-out the tech would've been great, then just letting me go around and enjoy the gameplay, story-free. Doing this probably could have saved the game for me, in the long run. As it is, short game, poor story, beautiful setting, boring guns. Hard Reset was a better cyberpunk-gloss shooter by miles.

We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Yeah, a lot of people say the game feels way too short, as if something was cut out. Considering you get to fill maybe...1/4, 1/3 of your power grid, I can see why they say that.

What was the point of the Fifth Element gun anyway? If you're gonna have cool wacky guns, have wacky guns.

edit: I only paid like, 7 or 8 bucks for the game on Gamefly, and I can get 7 bucks back for it on Amazon. Between the 30+ I paid for Max Payne 3 and the 27 bucks I got back for it, I'm luckily not really hurting too much for wasting my time on these not great games.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    Gosh, now we're gonna start hating on Max Payne 3?

Buncha bad opinions up in here

signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    I'm not lumping them together. I just didn't care for both of these games, one less so than the other, for different reasons.

Let me have my opinions!

steam_sig.png

• Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    I'm still looking for peeps to xbox co-op with. I've been advocating for this game since day one. Trying to convince friends and family to buy it, though most said they'd only go for it at like $30 or less :(

Hey @acidlacedpenguin, I'd love to play with you sometime, if you're up for it. A friend and I have both been wanting to play this game for a long time (since we were both huge fans of the originals), but I guess we were both just waiting for the other to buy it. We played bro-op last night and had a lot of fun.

• Options
    M-VickersM-Vickers Registered User regular
    milk ducks wrote: »

Hey @acidlacedpenguin, I'd love to play with you sometime, if you're up for it. A friend and I have both been wanting to play this game for a long time (since we were both huge fans of the originals), but I guess we were both just waiting for the other to buy it. We played bro-op last night and had a lot of fun.

Syndicate multiplayer was great fun. I imagine with a regular group it'd be fun to work your way though all the multiplayer missions.

The maps change with the difficulty levels, which I also liked.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I totally have an XBOX Syndicate guild. Message me and I could add anybody or we could just play if you have one already. Anything past normal is basically impossible for two players (which is all I've mustered so far).

• Options
    Yep, we've got a Syndicate going as well. So either way works for us. Feel free to add me on live, man. My tag's "milk ducks", the same as it is here on the forums.

• Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    Cool, glad to see people are still playing this. I'm down for some co-op as well. GT is the same, Zoku Gojira.

"Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Excellent, my GT is also pretty easy, shoeboxjeddy just like the forum name (if the signature isn't visible for you).

• Options
    Spent some time upgrading the Uzi last night, and it was totally worth the effort. With the extended magazine, that thing holds 80 rounds at a time. Its perfect for taking down reactives and liquids. We have a guy on the squad running Damage Link and Focus Target, and when he pops them both on a Reactive or Liquid, and I open up with 80 goddamn rounds, we make pretty short work of those guys.

On Normal and the first few levels of Hard, anyway. Its really just the two of us, so anything harder than that is really out of reach until we can fill out the squad a bit more.

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    milk ducks wrote: »
    Yep, we've got a Syndicate going as well. So either way works for us. Feel free to add me on live, man. My tag's "milk ducks", the same as it is here on the forums.

Awesome, yeah I'm down to get some mileage out of this game.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    After making several false starts at this game I finally got in the groove of being aggressive with popping all of your powers and had a blast with it. Going back for a Hard playthrough. Will probably jump into multiplayer at some point.