Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Republicans: Political Party, or Apocalyptic Cult?

124

Posts

  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    imbalanced wrote:
    Yet forcing the purchasing of private goods upon the general public is not fascist?
    Urcbub wrote:
    imbalanced wrote:
    Great, now Republicans are, according to this thread, KKK members, terrorists, Nazis, and homosexual killers. Anything else you want to throw down the stupid tube?

    I wish I was a moderator right now, I would be locking this thread NINE TIMES for being moronic.

    Instead you could meet and disprove those statements, instead of making wide accusations.

    No, the burden of proof is on someone who is flame baiting. You can't Godwin and then say "Prove me wrong!" The burden of proof is on the accuser, and so far, I have seen zero things that link the Republicans with the violent, deathly crimes of KKK members, terrorists, Nazis and homosexual killers. This is easily the biggest strawman arguments you can make, and you're not even attempting to hide how idiotic it is.
    Read. The. Article.

    If there are specific parts of that article you disagree with, cite them and disagree with them. I'm not going to re-hash the whole thing in here for your benefit.

  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    imbalanced wrote:
    No, the burden of proof is on someone who is flame baiting. You can't Godwin and then say "Prove me wrong!" The burden of proof is on the accuser, and so far, I have seen zero things that link the Republicans with the violent, deathly crimes of KKK members, terrorists, Nazis and homosexual killers. This is easily the biggest strawman arguments you can make, and you're not even attempting to hide how idiotic it is.

    Yelling at people to ignore the shit they see in their lives and in the news is cute, and all, but I think we're all adults here. The GOP swallowed the racists and nasties for electoral points decades ago, and it is eating them from within.

    Trying to force everyone here to ignore this through the power of your conservative righteousness is cute and all, but it's not going to work. The people on this board are living through this shit, watching it on their TVs, and they aren't going to pretend to unsee this because it hurts your feelings.

  • imbalancedimbalanced Registered User
    Henroid wrote:
    imbalanced wrote:
    Yet forcing the purchasing of private goods upon the general public is not fascist?

    I'm not convinced you understand what it means to be a fascist.

    That wasn't a full argument. The quick reply saved a draft from a while ago that I abandoned while attempting to get IE6 running on OSX instead.

    idc-sig.png
    Wii Code: 1040-1320-0724-3613 :!!:
  • Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    Modern Man wrote:
    The party embodies a lot of qualities of those things though, is the point. Let's not forget that the Tea Party, which I guess counts as a portion of the party, embodies a lot of fascist qualities (quite literally).
    The Tea Party has a lot of fascist qualities? I'm trying to think of any fascist movement that supports a peaceful and orderly change of government through the electoral process.
    Well, there's the Nazi Party. Hitler and his party gained power through elections, after all.
    The Nazi Party's rise to power was the furthest thing from "peaceful and orderly." It involved paramilitary groups using violence against their political rivals.

    I've yet to see groups of Tea Party brown-shirts roaming the streets of DC.

    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

  • HenroidHenroid Nobody Nowhere fastRegistered User regular
    Thanatos wrote:
    Read. The. Article.

    If there are specific parts of that article you disagree with, cite them and disagree with them. I'm not going to re-hash the whole thing in here for your benefit.

    Didn't that happen with the healthcare reform, by the way?

    I mean I hate to be snarky like that but seriously. <.<

    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit."
    - @Ludious
    PA Lets Play Archive - Twitter - Blog (6/15/14)
  • Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    Why in the hell would you want to run IE6 on OSX?

    Oh, Republican, right.

  • HenroidHenroid Nobody Nowhere fastRegistered User regular
    imbalanced wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    imbalanced wrote:
    Yet forcing the purchasing of private goods upon the general public is not fascist?

    I'm not convinced you understand what it means to be a fascist.

    That wasn't a full argument. The quick reply saved a draft from a while ago that I abandoned while attempting to get IE6 running on OSX instead.

    ... what?

    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit."
    - @Ludious
    PA Lets Play Archive - Twitter - Blog (6/15/14)
  • HenroidHenroid Nobody Nowhere fastRegistered User regular
    Modern Man wrote:
    Modern Man wrote:
    The party embodies a lot of qualities of those things though, is the point. Let's not forget that the Tea Party, which I guess counts as a portion of the party, embodies a lot of fascist qualities (quite literally).
    The Tea Party has a lot of fascist qualities? I'm trying to think of any fascist movement that supports a peaceful and orderly change of government through the electoral process.
    Well, there's the Nazi Party. Hitler and his party gained power through elections, after all.
    The Nazi Party's rise to power was the furthest thing from "peaceful and orderly." It involved paramilitary groups using violence against their political rivals.

    I've yet to see groups of Tea Party brown-shirts roaming the streets of DC.

    Yeah, people showing up to rallies with their guns on display isn't enough.

    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit."
    - @Ludious
    PA Lets Play Archive - Twitter - Blog (6/15/14)
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Modern Man wrote:
    I've yet to see groups of Tea Party brown-shirts roaming the streets of DC.

    912-TeaParty-DC-We-came-unarmed-this-time.jpg

  • imbalancedimbalanced Registered User
    Thanatos wrote:
    imbalanced wrote:
    Yet forcing the purchasing of private goods upon the general public is not fascist?
    Urcbub wrote:
    imbalanced wrote:
    Great, now Republicans are, according to this thread, KKK members, terrorists, Nazis, and homosexual killers. Anything else you want to throw down the stupid tube?

    I wish I was a moderator right now, I would be locking this thread NINE TIMES for being moronic.

    Instead you could meet and disprove those statements, instead of making wide accusations.

    No, the burden of proof is on someone who is flame baiting. You can't Godwin and then say "Prove me wrong!" The burden of proof is on the accuser, and so far, I have seen zero things that link the Republicans with the violent, deathly crimes of KKK members, terrorists, Nazis and homosexual killers. This is easily the biggest strawman arguments you can make, and you're not even attempting to hide how idiotic it is.
    Read. The. Article.

    If there are specific parts of that article you disagree with, cite them and disagree with them. I'm not going to re-hash the whole thing in here for your benefit.

    For the love of God, I read the article, a week ago. That doesn't give the nod to some of the vitriolic names being associated with the Republicans in this thread. If your argument is "this guy thinks they're terrorizing the debt process," you can't follow up with calling them the KKK members and Nazis. You have to argue an unending argument because the name-calling is so severe and stupid.

    If you want to say they're obstructionists and it's wrong. Fine. I can discuss that. If you want to just use it as an excuse to call them murderers, then this is absolute flame baiting and should be locked.

    idc-sig.png
    Wii Code: 1040-1320-0724-3613 :!!:
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    Yeah, people showing up to rallies with their guns on display isn't enough.

    Finding violent rhetoric and stories of intimidation from Tea Party members at town halls takes about two seconds of Googling. See the post where Modern Man ignores the links that refute his argument.

    The real truth is that the "serious" conservatives around here are forcibly ignoring the stink from their side of the aisle, preferring to sling shit at everyone else.

  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Trying to force everyone here to ignore this through the power of your conservative righteousness is cute and all, but it's not going to work. The people on this board are living through this shit, watching it on their TVs, and they aren't going to pretend to unsee this because it hurts your feelings.

    So he's now a conservative, as opposed to a person on this board?

  • imbalancedimbalanced Registered User
    Why in the hell would you want to run IE6 on OSX?

    Oh, Republican, right.

    Web development for the federal government. Yes, it's that bad.

    idc-sig.png
    Wii Code: 1040-1320-0724-3613 :!!:
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote:
    Trying to force everyone here to ignore this through the power of your conservative righteousness is cute and all, but it's not going to work. The people on this board are living through this shit, watching it on their TVs, and they aren't going to pretend to unsee this because it hurts your feelings.

    So he's now a conservative, as opposed to a person on this board?

    You are falling back on kumbaya? We are all Penny Arcade?

  • Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote:
    A bunch of American Republicans, spouting exactly the same sort of anti-homosexual rhetoric the Republican party uses in the U.S. (and that can be found in the Republican platform), funded by a Republican church, and with ties to the Republican party, convinced people in Uganda that homosexuals should be executed.

    And you don't see what that has to do with the Republicans?
    Not really, no. A bunch of people who happen to be registered as Republicans went to another country and got involved in politics over there. The government over there then decided to pass a horrible law. The blame for that falls squarely on the government of Uganda.

    Unless you believe that the Americans who went over there somehow tricked the Ugandan government into passing this law?

    And, furthermore, I don't really see what this has to do with American politics, any more than any other law passed by African governments. Do you want to talk about agricultural subsidies in Nigeria, while we're at it?

    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

  • HenroidHenroid Nobody Nowhere fastRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote:
    Trying to force everyone here to ignore this through the power of your conservative righteousness is cute and all, but it's not going to work. The people on this board are living through this shit, watching it on their TVs, and they aren't going to pretend to unsee this because it hurts your feelings.

    So he's now a conservative, as opposed to a person on this board?

    I'm not prepared to consider those who lack compassion and understanding to be 'people.'

    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit."
    - @Ludious
    PA Lets Play Archive - Twitter - Blog (6/15/14)
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote:
    Trying to force everyone here to ignore this through the power of your conservative righteousness is cute and all, but it's not going to work. The people on this board are living through this shit, watching it on their TVs, and they aren't going to pretend to unsee this because it hurts your feelings.

    So he's now a conservative, as opposed to a person on this board?

    You are falling back on kumbaya? We are all Penny Arcade?
    Just pointing out that you are very clearly marking him the Other, excluding him from even basic humanity as you draw a line around your like-minded posters and call them 'people'. You might not have even noticed it, is the thing. Worth pointing out, especially as you make arguments suggesting how horrible the practice is.

  • Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    Modern Man wrote:
    Modern Man wrote:
    The party embodies a lot of qualities of those things though, is the point. Let's not forget that the Tea Party, which I guess counts as a portion of the party, embodies a lot of fascist qualities (quite literally).
    The Tea Party has a lot of fascist qualities? I'm trying to think of any fascist movement that supports a peaceful and orderly change of government through the electoral process.
    Well, there's the Nazi Party. Hitler and his party gained power through elections, after all.
    The Nazi Party's rise to power was the furthest thing from "peaceful and orderly." It involved paramilitary groups using violence against their political rivals.

    I've yet to see groups of Tea Party brown-shirts roaming the streets of DC.

    Yeah, people showing up to rallies with their guns on display isn't enough.
    IIRC, that was perfectly legal where it occured.

    Now you're afraid of people peacefully exercising their 2nd Amendment rights while peacefully exercising their 1st Amendment rights? Your world must be really scary.

    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Nope. Wolf Blitzer asked, straight up "Should the hospital just let some 30 year old with a sudden long term condition, who never bought insurance, die?" Before Ron Paul could answer, the Audience was screaming "yes!"

    America's Christian Values on display.

    Fucking hell is this really what happened?

    That is literally what happened.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PepQF7G-It0

    Am I retarded? For some reason I can't embed videos?

    "Crowd" is an incredibly dishonest description of that video.

    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • UrcbubUrcbub Registered User
    edited September 2011
  • HenroidHenroid Nobody Nowhere fastRegistered User regular
    Modern Man wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    Modern Man wrote:
    Modern Man wrote:
    The party embodies a lot of qualities of those things though, is the point. Let's not forget that the Tea Party, which I guess counts as a portion of the party, embodies a lot of fascist qualities (quite literally).
    The Tea Party has a lot of fascist qualities? I'm trying to think of any fascist movement that supports a peaceful and orderly change of government through the electoral process.
    Well, there's the Nazi Party. Hitler and his party gained power through elections, after all.
    The Nazi Party's rise to power was the furthest thing from "peaceful and orderly." It involved paramilitary groups using violence against their political rivals.

    I've yet to see groups of Tea Party brown-shirts roaming the streets of DC.

    Yeah, people showing up to rallies with their guns on display isn't enough.
    IIRC, that was perfectly legal where it occured.

    Now you're afraid of people peacefully exercising their 2nd Amendment rights while peacefully exercising their 1st Amendment rights? Your world must be really scary.

    Perfectly legal doesn't mean it wasn't uncalled for. :P

    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit."
    - @Ludious
    PA Lets Play Archive - Twitter - Blog (6/15/14)
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Modern Man wrote:
    Not really, no. A bunch of people who happen to be registered as Republicans went to another country and got involved in politics over there. The government over there then decided to pass a horrible law. The blame for that falls squarely on the government of Uganda.

    Unless you believe that the Americans who went over there somehow tricked the Ugandan government into passing this law?

    And, furthermore, I don't really see what this has to do with American politics, any more than any other law passed by African governments. Do you want to talk about agricultural subsidies in Nigeria, while we're at it?

    How many times, on this board, have you used some obscure figure with fringe ties to Democrats to make some overarching points about "how liberals be?"

    When you get right down to it, I have more respect for the Tea Party types than the brand of conservatives you see here. At least they'll stand by and scream what they believe when you press them. I don't like them for it, but at least it's an honest conflict of ideas.

    What we get here are the oily variety that try to obscure their dark side through deflection and rhetorical games. It's nothing but vague, sweeping attacks against their enemies, followed by attempts to appear the proper schoolmarm whenever they are challenged. They fight with smoke and vapor.

  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Urcbub wrote:
    Ask and ye shall receive.

    political violence from the tea party:

    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2010/10/rand-paul-supporter-stomps-on-woman.html

    Hooboy. Not sure if you're being serious of if that is a joke.

    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    Modern Man wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    Modern Man wrote:
    Modern Man wrote:
    The party embodies a lot of qualities of those things though, is the point. Let's not forget that the Tea Party, which I guess counts as a portion of the party, embodies a lot of fascist qualities (quite literally).
    The Tea Party has a lot of fascist qualities? I'm trying to think of any fascist movement that supports a peaceful and orderly change of government through the electoral process.
    Well, there's the Nazi Party. Hitler and his party gained power through elections, after all.
    The Nazi Party's rise to power was the furthest thing from "peaceful and orderly." It involved paramilitary groups using violence against their political rivals.

    I've yet to see groups of Tea Party brown-shirts roaming the streets of DC.

    Yeah, people showing up to rallies with their guns on display isn't enough.
    IIRC, that was perfectly legal where it occured.

    Now you're afraid of people peacefully exercising their 2nd Amendment rights while peacefully exercising their 1st Amendment rights? Your world must be really scary.

    Perfectly legal doesn't mean it wasn't uncalled for. :P
    Are you terribly shocked to hear that people you don't consider human might want to carry a weapon when you're around?

  • UrcbubUrcbub Registered User
    spool32 wrote:
    spool32 wrote:
    Trying to force everyone here to ignore this through the power of your conservative righteousness is cute and all, but it's not going to work. The people on this board are living through this shit, watching it on their TVs, and they aren't going to pretend to unsee this because it hurts your feelings.

    So he's now a conservative, as opposed to a person on this board?

    You are falling back on kumbaya? We are all Penny Arcade?
    Just pointing out that you are very clearly marking him the Other, excluding him from even basic humanity as you draw a line around your like-minded posters and call them 'people'. You might not have even noticed it, is the thing. Worth pointing out, especially as you make arguments suggesting how horrible the practice is.

    Nothing like what you proposed took place. you are creating a mountain out of a molehill just because someone criticized a conservative.

  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Modern Man wrote:
    Now you're afraid of people peacefully exercising their 2nd Amendment rights while peacefully exercising their 1st Amendment rights? Your world must be really scary.

    No. I know exactly what it means when someone shows up a political rally with a fucking weapon. It's intimidation.

    Again, you like to play these little logic games. I'm the bad guy for reacting badly when people act like thugs, because it is technically legal for them to do so.

  • Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    Urcbub wrote:
    Ask and ye shall receive.

    political violence from the tea party:

    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2010/10/rand-paul-supporter-stomps-on-woman.html
    So, some campaign volunteer goes violent, the Rand Paul campaign immediately states that "Whatever the perceived provocation, any level of aggression or violence is deplorable, and will not be tolerated by our campaign." This is proof of the Tea Party's propensity for violence how, exactly?

    Have you ever worked on a campaign? Every campaign attracts its share of nuts who probably shouldn't be allowed out of the house. Every once in a while, an incident is going to happen. But to say that this is somehow evidence of Tea Party political violence is just you grasping at straws.

    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote:
    Are you terribly shocked to hear that people you don't consider human might want to carry a weapon when you're around?

    And watch the argument twist again, swirling in the wind like smoke. After a few hours, we'll decide whether I'm a horrible person for judging the man with a gun or a horrible person because the man with a gun has a right to shoot me.

  • HenroidHenroid Nobody Nowhere fastRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    Modern Man wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    Modern Man wrote:
    Modern Man wrote:
    The party embodies a lot of qualities of those things though, is the point. Let's not forget that the Tea Party, which I guess counts as a portion of the party, embodies a lot of fascist qualities (quite literally).
    The Tea Party has a lot of fascist qualities? I'm trying to think of any fascist movement that supports a peaceful and orderly change of government through the electoral process.
    Well, there's the Nazi Party. Hitler and his party gained power through elections, after all.
    The Nazi Party's rise to power was the furthest thing from "peaceful and orderly." It involved paramilitary groups using violence against their political rivals.

    I've yet to see groups of Tea Party brown-shirts roaming the streets of DC.

    Yeah, people showing up to rallies with their guns on display isn't enough.
    IIRC, that was perfectly legal where it occured.

    Now you're afraid of people peacefully exercising their 2nd Amendment rights while peacefully exercising their 1st Amendment rights? Your world must be really scary.

    Perfectly legal doesn't mean it wasn't uncalled for. :P
    Are you terribly shocked to hear that people you don't consider human might want to carry a weapon when you're around?

    I'm sure they'll have to defend themselves from me ignoring them when I'm at work, or playing games with friends, etc!

    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit."
    - @Ludious
    PA Lets Play Archive - Twitter - Blog (6/15/14)
  • UrcbubUrcbub Registered User
    ED! wrote:
    Urcbub wrote:
    Ask and ye shall receive.

    political violence from the tea party:

    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2010/10/rand-paul-supporter-stomps-on-woman.html

    Hooboy. Not sure if you're being serious of if that is a joke.

    And a typical wave-away attempt when proof is shown in your face.

  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    spool32 wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    Modern Man wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    Modern Man wrote:
    Modern Man wrote:
    The party embodies a lot of qualities of those things though, is the point. Let's not forget that the Tea Party, which I guess counts as a portion of the party, embodies a lot of fascist qualities (quite literally).
    The Tea Party has a lot of fascist qualities? I'm trying to think of any fascist movement that supports a peaceful and orderly change of government through the electoral process.
    Well, there's the Nazi Party. Hitler and his party gained power through elections, after all.
    The Nazi Party's rise to power was the furthest thing from "peaceful and orderly." It involved paramilitary groups using violence against their political rivals.

    I've yet to see groups of Tea Party brown-shirts roaming the streets of DC.

    Yeah, people showing up to rallies with their guns on display isn't enough.
    IIRC, that was perfectly legal where it occured.

    Now you're afraid of people peacefully exercising their 2nd Amendment rights while peacefully exercising their 1st Amendment rights? Your world must be really scary.

    Perfectly legal doesn't mean it wasn't uncalled for. :P
    Are you terribly shocked to hear that people you don't consider human might want to carry a weapon when you're around?

    I'm sure they'll have to defend themselves from me ignoring them when I'm at work, or playing games with friends, etc!
    Maybe they don't want to rely on your goodwill, especially since there's no reason to expect you'd have goodwill toward nonhumans.

  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote:
    Are you terribly shocked to hear that people you don't consider human might want to carry a weapon when you're around?

    And watch the argument twist again, swirling in the wind like smoke.

    orly?
    Henroid wrote:
    spool32 wrote:
    So he's now a conservative, as opposed to a person on this board?
    I'm not prepared to consider those who lack compassion and understanding to be 'people.'

    That seems pretty solid to me.

  • UrcbubUrcbub Registered User
    Modern Man wrote:
    Urcbub wrote:
    Ask and ye shall receive.

    political violence from the tea party:

    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2010/10/rand-paul-supporter-stomps-on-woman.html
    So, some campaign volunteer goes violent, the Rand Paul campaign immediately states that "Whatever the perceived provocation, any level of aggression or violence is deplorable, and will not be tolerated by our campaign." This is proof of the Tea Party's propensity for violence how, exactly?

    Have you ever worked on a campaign? Every campaign attracts its share of nuts who probably shouldn't be allowed out of the house. Every once in a while, an incident is going to happen. But to say that this is somehow evidence of Tea Party political violence is just you grasping at straws.

    Oh I don't know, that he stepped on a subdued woman's head?

  • LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    Modern Man wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    imbalanced wrote:
    Great, now Republicans are, according to this thread, KKK members, terrorists, Nazis, and homosexual killers. Anything else you want to throw down the stupid tube?

    I wish I was a moderator right now, I would be locking this thread NINE TIMES for being moronic.

    The party embodies a lot of qualities of those things though, is the point. Let's not forget that the Tea Party, which I guess counts as a portion of the party, embodies a lot of fascist qualities (quite literally).
    The Tea Party has a lot of fascist qualities? I'm trying to think of any fascist movement that supports a peaceful and orderly change of government through the electoral process.

    What has the Tea Party done to make liberals wet themselves so badly? They've organized people to vote in primaries and elections and held a bunch of protests. Ooohhh, scary!

    I wish I had the link to all the people who have been killed as a consequence of this "mild" speech! Since 2008, close to 20 people are dead and maybe 50 people in prison as a consequence of trying to kill or seriously injure people they disagreed with politically. The guy who shot up the unitarian church is one. And you're ignoring all the violence in the 90s that happens to pop up whenever Republicans lose a major office.

    The far right in the US is not just dangerous to the politics of the country, but has been inciting violence against citizens and the government as a method of protest for some time. This is a fact. The left has done so as well, but considerably less (don't be a false equivalency goose) and even MORE less in recent years. At the moment, comparing the two is laughable, so please don't go down that road.

    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Modern Man wrote:
    Maybe they don't want to rely on your goodwill, especially since there's no reason to expect you'd have goodwill toward nonhumans.

    And the argument swirls again. Liberals are the bad guys, because liberal politics are all about how conservatives are nonhumans.

    In truth, conservatives are the ones trying to punish the others. It's what they LOVE to talk about. Liberals just want to build some bridges, keep people from starving to death and maybe fix our fucked-up health care system. Both sides are a little too in love with the military, but at least liberals have some aim other than punishing the nonbeliever and getting blood vengeance with our bombs.

    But, of course, we're all really just as bad.

  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Urcbub wrote:
    Modern Man wrote:
    Urcbub wrote:
    Ask and ye shall receive.

    political violence from the tea party:

    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2010/10/rand-paul-supporter-stomps-on-woman.html
    So, some campaign volunteer goes violent, the Rand Paul campaign immediately states that "Whatever the perceived provocation, any level of aggression or violence is deplorable, and will not be tolerated by our campaign." This is proof of the Tea Party's propensity for violence how, exactly?

    Have you ever worked on a campaign? Every campaign attracts its share of nuts who probably shouldn't be allowed out of the house. Every once in a while, an incident is going to happen. But to say that this is somehow evidence of Tea Party political violence is just you grasping at straws.

    Oh I don't know, that he stepped on a subdued woman's head?

    One guy's violence = Tea Party is violent, right?
    One communist shoots a President. All commies are assassins!
    As usual, urcbub's logic is mangled.

  • HenroidHenroid Nobody Nowhere fastRegistered User regular
    spool32 wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    spool32 wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    Modern Man wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    Modern Man wrote:
    Modern Man wrote:
    The party embodies a lot of qualities of those things though, is the point. Let's not forget that the Tea Party, which I guess counts as a portion of the party, embodies a lot of fascist qualities (quite literally).
    The Tea Party has a lot of fascist qualities? I'm trying to think of any fascist movement that supports a peaceful and orderly change of government through the electoral process.
    Well, there's the Nazi Party. Hitler and his party gained power through elections, after all.
    The Nazi Party's rise to power was the furthest thing from "peaceful and orderly." It involved paramilitary groups using violence against their political rivals.

    I've yet to see groups of Tea Party brown-shirts roaming the streets of DC.

    Yeah, people showing up to rallies with their guns on display isn't enough.
    IIRC, that was perfectly legal where it occured.

    Now you're afraid of people peacefully exercising their 2nd Amendment rights while peacefully exercising their 1st Amendment rights? Your world must be really scary.

    Perfectly legal doesn't mean it wasn't uncalled for. :P
    Are you terribly shocked to hear that people you don't consider human might want to carry a weapon when you're around?

    I'm sure they'll have to defend themselves from me ignoring them when I'm at work, or playing games with friends, etc!
    Maybe they don't want to rely on your goodwill, especially since there's no reason to expect you'd have goodwill toward nonhumans.
    Proverbs 25:21 If thine enemy be hungry, give him bread to eat; and if he be thirsty, give him water to drink:
    I've had that quote on my Facebook and various other profiles for a few years now. While I've been slipping from being religious, there's still some good ideas here and there I try to apply to my life. Like the above. I may disagree with the political right, but if any of them are in trouble and I'm in a position to help, I'll do it. They actively promote the opposite message, wanting to abolish government aid programs. My best friend at work (who I'm actually going in for today, since she simply isn't feeling well) is very vocally a Republican, by her description, but I don't consider her to really be one based on her actions and her personality. Hence, y'know, her being my best friend there.

    "Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit."
    - @Ludious
    PA Lets Play Archive - Twitter - Blog (6/15/14)
  • Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    Modern Man wrote:
    Not really, no. A bunch of people who happen to be registered as Republicans went to another country and got involved in politics over there. The government over there then decided to pass a horrible law. The blame for that falls squarely on the government of Uganda.

    Unless you believe that the Americans who went over there somehow tricked the Ugandan government into passing this law?

    And, furthermore, I don't really see what this has to do with American politics, any more than any other law passed by African governments. Do you want to talk about agricultural subsidies in Nigeria, while we're at it?

    How many times, on this board, have you used some obscure figure with fringe ties to Democrats to make some overarching points about "how liberals be?"
    I haven't the faintest. You tell me.
    When you get right down to it, I have more respect for the Tea Party types than the brand of conservatives you see here. At least they'll stand by and scream what they believe when you press them. I don't like them for it, but at least it's an honest conflict of ideas.
    As many of the liberals on this board will certainly tell you, I'm the furthest thing from shy when it comes to telling people what I believe. Feel free to ask any questions you want about my political beliefs. I'll happily give you the full frontal (political) monty.


    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. 5386-8443-8937Registered User regular
    So if they're an apocalyptic death cult we should probably be using force to route them out right?

    I mean that's what we do with terrorists right?

    sig.jpg
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    So Henroid, which one is it? Are they enemies you disagree with, or are they things you even don't consider people?
    Because I'd be very happy to see you fully walk back that line I've quoted a couple times. It was kind of... inhuman.

This discussion has been closed.