As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Learn me on TV Tuner-ing

BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
I'm building an HTPC and I want to drop Dish Network completely.

I'm installing an HDTV antenna in my attic that I intend to connect to my HTPC via some sort of TV Tuner, this would allow me to pick up the major networks in HD. For any other TV watching, I will turn to Netflix/Hulu/Boxee, etc.

I do want to be able to pull HDTV Over the Air from my local stations and use my HTPC as a DVR to record my favorite shows.

Learn me on pros and cons of internal v. external, etc.

Also recommendations on which tuners to consider would be appreciated.

XdDBi4F.jpg
PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
Beltaine on

• Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    I have a similar thread going on here as well. I'll just quote my OP
    Jebus314 wrote:
    I would like to get a tv tuner card/device for my HTPC. Just looking for people's experiences, tips, recommendations, what have you.

What I want:
    1) dual tuner capability
    2) ClearQAM tuners (through cable connection, so I'm assuming signal strength won't be an issue)
    3) Compatibility with WMC on Windows 7

Cards/devices:
    1) Hauppauge 2250. Good price, but I've heard some people have had issues with weaker signals (hopefully won't matter for me). Anyone used this card? Did it work well? Does the IR reciever play well with WMC?
    2) HD HomeRun3. Everyone says it's the best, but I kind of like the built in ir blaster with the hauppauge.
    3) Hauppauge 2650. Probably no one has this yet, but as it allows for using a cable card at a ridiculously cheap price I would totally get this one. However, I'm worried it won't be very stable so early in the release. So on the off chance that anyone got this right away, how is it?

The first two options are pretty universally considered the best of the best for recording clearQAM/ATSC. There's upsides and downsides to both. The hauppauge 2250 is internal, it lets you record analog (NTSC), and it has an onboard IR blaster/reciever, so if you get the cable you can interface with a remote or cable box if need be. The HD homerun is external, some places say it gives better recordings (not universally considered true), best of all it runs over ethernet, so you can stick in your attic and just run ethernet to your computer. The other upside of the external tuner is that it doesn't use up your computers resources (CPU time, memory, adding extra heat). This may or may nor be an issue for your HTPC.

Keep in mind that only cablecard ready devices like option 3, the Ceton infinitv 4, or the HD homerun prime, will allow you to watch regular cable, should you someday switch to that.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible