As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recommend me an RPG!

WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in Games and Technology
So, to basically quote what I said earlier today in [chat]:

I'm fed up playing RPG's without any sort of proper customization, or a sense that I have gained something from my efforts. I have noticed that alot of RPG's don't seem to bother making interesting armour or weapon pieces. Only WoW (groan) actually attempts to convey any sort of customization from picking up phat loot.

If I'm playing an RPG, and i've just killed that goddamn dragon, I damn well want the loot of Fire Breath of Armour +3 and Demon's Sword +5 to look interesting! I don't expect it to look like the same rusty sword and chainmail I was using 5 minutes ago.

So! Recommend me an RPG that can satisfy this request!

I'm thinking more of a Diablo-esque or D&D game than say, Oblivion.

WMain00 on

• Options
    carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    The only RPG you'll hear me recommend right now is Xenoblade, sorry.

PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Torchlight

And soon, Torchlight 2

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I haven't played it but Dragon Quest 9 has different models for each piece of armor.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    SyphonBlue wrote:
    Torchlight

And soon, Torchlight 2

Was never impressed by Torchlight.

EDIT: Should have probably specified PC games please.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Welll diablo 3 is coming out soon. (december/january)

I've been playing Demon's Souls lately, and while it leans way more towards the action and less on the story, there's plenty of customization and you definitely earn what you get.

edit: oh PC... um.. dragon age 1?

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Dragon Age actually did a good job of making the models for their loot interesting, for the most part

...well, unless you wore light armor, then it was kind of a crapshoot

Witcher 2 is an RPG! That sometimes has loot in it!

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Biased here, but pick up Alpha Protocol. A break from fantasy RPGs

You might find it for 5 - 15 bucks.

Check the thread, it's around.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    Xenoblade Chronicles: Got, playing on and off
    Dragon Age: Completed
    Witcher 2: Fun but doesn't involve a huge amount of customization since it's the story of Geralt
    Alpha Protocol: Completed
    Demon Souls: Argh it hurts!
    Diablo 3: Games I can play now please!

:D :rotate:

• Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Uhm... you could try, if you like roguelikes, IVAN. Very basic graphics, but you can see your equipment change. Plus you can lose limbs and replace them with golem limbs... if you don't die horribly first, that is.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Sacred 2 is pretty good

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    Biased here, but pick up Alpha Protocol. A break from fantasy RPGs

You might find it for 5 - 15 bucks.

Check the thread, it's around.

omg this so hard. There are some aspects of the gameplay that are pretty lame but there are plenty of different ways to play through the game and there were so many just totally awesome moments that it is well worth the current budget price.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    carmofin wrote:
    The only RPG you'll hear me recommend right now is Xenoblade, sorry.

LIME'D.

Everyone get it. OP already has it, you don't need any others.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    There's a ton of customization in Two Worlds II. Armor and weapons show on the character model, and there are lots of unique designs. It also happens to be a really solid game and not shit at all like the first game. Plus it's classless, so you can build your character how you like.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    Two Worlds II was not shit like the first game, but it was still shit...

I had high hopes :(

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    FettS1FettS1 Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Titan Quest/Immortal Throne. Decent Diablo -type game w/ lots of character customization options. You can dual-class & loot does look fairly different, especially unique sets. Also, you should be able to get the game + expansion for around $20-$30 these days.

FettS1 on
    Diablo3: FettS1#1626
    PSN: FettS1
    FFXIV: Kashell Valeth
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Xenoblade Xenoblade Xenoblade Xenoblade Xenoblade Xenoblade Xenoblade Xenoblade Xenoblade Xenoblade Xenoblade Xenoblade

It may very well be the best JRPG of all time.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    ConstrictorConstrictor The Dork Knight SuburbialandRegistered User regular
    Check out Avadon on Steam. It's old school and indy, but pretty damn good.

• Options
    Skull2185 wrote:

You crazy person. The multiplayer was lame but the single player was pretty awesome.

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Seeing that Yasunori Mitsuda is the composer on Xenoblade is *almost* enough to sell me, on its own.

(See: Chrono Trigger)

Edit: WHAT? Why didn't I know this was a thing? I have Chrono Trigger on DS, why don't I have this?!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_of_Chrono_Trigger#Chrono_Trigger_Orchestra_Extra_Soundtrack

akjak on
    Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I'd recommend Temple of Elemental Evil, which you can find on GoG. Don't forget to use the Co8 patch before playing though.

EDIT: Seriously people, the OP is looking for a PC game.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    Hmmm RPGs in the pc field have really become more hybridizations with fps (borderlands, dead island, deus ex, mass effect)

The issue of good games with interesting bosses graphics is they are being spun towards mmo which of course is god awful, as well as 'action rpgs'.

if you havent tried it yet id highly recommend kotor (and if you like that the sequel is fun until the ending)

fallout 3 or New vegas are also some great rpg experiences (if you can stand the gamebryo engine)

i enjoyed a very flawed fable game, fable 2 was less enjoyable i havent gotten to fable 3

dungeon siege 3 was too 'actiony' for me but it is a genre that has its fans

(im looking for a rpg myself, dead island is kind of holding my interest but it doesnt quite scratch the i need lots and lots of gear and armor itch)

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Silpheed wrote:
    I'd recommend Temple of Elemental Evil, which you can find on GoG. Don't forget to use the Co8 patch before playing though.

You can play Xenoblade on a PC provided you own a Wii and the game.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    You might want to check out Borderlands - it's not an RPG in the common sense, but think of it as Diablo with shooter controls. I also recommend Titan Quest. Both are great coop games.

and I always, always have to mention Baldur's Gate 2, although it's probably not exactly what you're looking for

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    If you're looking for massive customization and good loot, there is always the Might and Magic series (Original recipe not Heroes of...). I know GoG has the first six games bundled together which includes MoM 6, my personal favorite in the series. Its a little dated now I suppose but still the best dungeon grinds IMO. The series is very much based off the old pen and paper D&D mechanics.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Torchlight is the only dungeon crawler of the sort I ever played. I don't know whether to play Diablo 2 or go into Diablo 3 with no standards.

I love me some Borderlands.

Also, everyone with eyes and fingers should play Bastion.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    As an aside, I whole heartily recommend Xenoblade Chronicles. It will make you fall in love with J-RPG's again. Not only is the world rich, it's also RIDICOLOUSLY HUGE!!!

Best example moment: Early in the game you need to go to some station point high up on a cliff. Shit happens and you need to get back to town. You might think "damn, i'm gonna have to crawl all the way back through that cavern there." Oh no. Go for it my friend; jump off that cliff, and seamlessly and without load times land into the water and swim home!

Also I think i'll just install Titan Quest again. I recall it was interesting. Think I stopped playing it because it was during the summer sales last year and I was swamped with choice.

• Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    i should have stopped playing titanquest because they gimped the way to beat the last boss so he was a royal pain in the ass (or at least thats how i recall it...)

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Did the end up releasing Xenoblade in the US or do you have to mod and jive?

• Options
    vamen wrote:

Nintendo will not buckle. Mod and Jive.

• Options
    Cantido wrote:
    vamen wrote:

Alas.
    Well maybe I will look into it. I don't know what is involved but I wasn't keen on the idea of modding.
    But I could do with a good JRPG after FF13 let me down. Plus is so, so dusty. And everyone is making Xenoblade sound soooo sexah.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    WMain00 wrote:
    Xenoblade Chronicles: Got, playing on and off

You shouldn't be getting off (heh).

You need to be all-in.

All. In.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    vamen wrote:
    Cantido wrote:
    vamen wrote:

Alas.
    Well maybe I will look into it. I don't know what is involved but I wasn't keen on the idea of modding.
    But I could do with a good JRPG after FF13 let me down. Plus is so, so dusty. And everyone is making Xenoblade sound soooo sexah.

If you have a DS, Radiant Historia sports one of my favorite protagonists ever.

• Options
    Cantido wrote:
    vamen wrote:
    Cantido wrote:
    vamen wrote:

Alas.

If you have a DS, Radiant Historia sports one of my favorite protagonists ever.

That is indeed a great one. I need to finish it.
    I guess I meant "console JRPG" =)

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote:
    Skull2185 wrote:

You crazy person. The multiplayer was lame but the single player was pretty awesome.

TWII has a really terrible learning curve. As in, they don't teach you most of the stuff you should know. Like, I didn't touch magic until someone explained to me how it actually worked. And then I spent hours fiddling with spells.

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Titan Quest + xpac is very swanky, in terms of gear and customization. The first act on normal is kinda boring, but the game gets better later.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    Okay, we get it, you want him to play Xenoblade. You've made your point and now it's getting obnoxious. It doesn't even fulfill his criteria, plus he already has it

How about Baldur's Gate 1+2? Set in the D&D universe, lots of customization. You might also want to look into Neverwinter Nights 1+2.

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Magic Pink wrote:
    Silpheed wrote:

You can play Xenoblade on a PC provided you own a Wii and the game.

How does this work, out of curiosity? I don't have a Wii, but with how much you guys have been hyping this game up around here, I'm a bit desperate to try it out. Is there even the slightest chance of a full-fledged PC port?

Edit: I should probably say something that's actually on topic, so I will also chime in for the PC Baldur's Gate series. My personal favorite RPGs to date, and the loot you can pick up is absurdly powerful. You kill a red dragon, and you're getting some good shit for it. It probably doesn't have the visual customization you're looking for, unfortunately, but the sprite art is excellent, in my opinion. And the story and characters are right up there with the best of them. Highly recommended if you haven't played it.

Vi Monks on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    DQ9 is 100% customizable characters with graphics for every item you equip

want to run around in a bikini swinging a giant axe? uuh... of course not
    yes I do

• Options
    Jars wrote:
    DQ9 is 100% customizable characters with graphics for every item you equip

want to run around in a bikini swinging a giant axe? uuh... of course not
    yes I do

...Perhaps I need to put some more time into DQ9