As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PA comic: Wed. Sept. 14, 2011

BogeyBogey I'm back, baby!Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
edited September 2011 in The Penny Arcade Hub
i-fTBfznt-XL.jpg
Work Ethics

Wednesday, September 14 2011 - 12:00 AM

Gabriel and Kara have been investing themselves in Crimson Alliance, investing of themselves and perhaps even of their holdings. They will even farm old levels, trying to use the game’s combo system to secure incredible virtual wealth. It’s got the hooks in, apparently.

The comparison that generally gets made is to Diablo or Torchlight, but the actual experience of the game doesn’t sustain that: its heritage is much more Gauntlet, right down to the color-swapped Wizards. This is an action game that, having been created in 2011, must heap tribute upon the Altar of Progression. This isn’t a game where you spend a lot of time twiddling between marginally distinct gear. It may appeal to whatever chittering rodent cortex these other games do, but it’s trying to do something else.

The other thing it does, and others have talked about this as well, is that it incorporates some exploratory free-to-play concepts. There’s no evidence that it leverages any kind of customized framework for the model, which is supposedly under development at Microsoft and is more or less an open secret. It gets there via in-game purchases, the currency exchange mentioned in the strip, and multiple tiers of entry that I suspect confused a non-trivial portion of its audience.

They call the game’s demo the “Full Version,” which allows you to play any of the game’s three classes in an early portion of the game. You can purchase a character for use in the entire campaign for ten dollars, which might make you think this was the first thirty dollar Xbox Live Arcade game, but you can purchase all three characters at once for fifteen dollars. That’s the normal price for a game these days, so it’s unfortunate that they didn’t tread more boldly in their experimentation.

We play wargames on Mondays, Warmachine is what we’re into now but I’ve played (and invested) in my share, and paying for only what you play with is the norm in that context. Maybe that feels weird to most people, but it goes hand in hand with the commodity/service obsession that’s asserting its dominance.

(CW)TB out.

(instrumental)

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
PSN: Bogestrom
Bogey on

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Man, I've been waiting for this thread, so I could discuss this Crimson Alliance thing. Looks kind of nifty, despite being Freemium. Anyone have thoughts?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    I was about to ask what game this was about, until I realized that Crimson Alliance was the game and not just some guild they were in.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Hmmm... this sounds temptingly addictive.

• Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    A fine comic as always but I have two minor complaints:

1. I didn't understand exactly how to read it, since it appears that Gabe's comment is between the two of Tycho's, but the panel bar implies it would be read last. Does Tycho say everything and then Gabe replies? The way the bubbles are laid out, with Gabe's above some of Tycho's and crossing over the panel bar, makes me want to read it as Tycho-Gabe-Tycho, even though the panel bar and the way the joke is laid out works better the other way.

2. Until the end I didn't pick up on Gabe having only bought gear for himself, because I thought Tycho was dressed pretty fancy as well, with all the gold and such. I guess that's just the look of this game?

Endaro on
  • Options
    A friend said the same thing. Gabe doesn't look clearly fancier than Tycho, since swordsmen are usually less adorned while wizard-types have all kinds of crazy shit on them.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote:
    A friend said the same thing. Gabe doesn't look clearly fancier than Tycho, since swordsmen are usually less adorned while wizard-types have all kinds of crazy shit on them.

I've been waiting for the thread to appear to say the same thing. Aside from the fancy gold trim, Tycho's large size and proud posture also make him seem, if anything, a superior character to Gabe's, who is diminutive and cowering. I still got the joke, but the "ha ha" moment wasn't there because the visual gag was missing.

I can't find it in the archives, but that old comic they did about levelling in World of Warcraft was pretty much the same joke, and the person who had been levelling on their own was very obviously superior, with a giant mount and fancy equipment.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    wonderpug wrote:
    Darkewolfe wrote:

I've been waiting for the thread to appear to say the same thing. Aside from the fancy gold trim, Tycho's large size and proud posture also make him seem, if anything, a superior character to Gabe's, who is diminutive and cowering. I still got the joke, but the "ha ha" moment wasn't there because the visual gag was missing.

I can't find it in the archives, but that old comic they did about levelling in World of Warcraft was pretty much the same joke, and the person who had been levelling on their own was very obviously superior, with a giant mount and fancy equipment.

The WoW comic was that they had agreed to level together and one person had obviously pulled far ahead.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Tycho is a sellsword of modest means...and tiny head.

• Options
    jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    that's this comic, however the link is teh broek
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/12/31

here it is, re-un-stolen from some shitty web page that stole it
    634205426411050946.jpg

jwalk on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    A lovechild of Elton John and Dumbledore is... wow. Just... what a combination that is.

• Options
    Yesss... The WoW version was a much better execution of this joke. I still love that one.

• Options
    FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    It took me awhile to understand this wasn't a WoW comic. I thought Crimson Alliance was some sort of expansion

• Options
    rabidmuskratrabidmuskrat Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote:
    Yesss... The WoW version was a much better execution of this joke. I still love that one.
    This. While I found the strip amusing, the visual cue was definitely lost due to Tycho looking less modest than his words would lead one to believe.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote:
    This. While I found the strip amusing, the visual cue was definitely lost due to Tycho looking less modest than his words would lead one to believe.

There is only one way to settle this objectively: We ask George R.R. Martin to describe their outfits, and allow page length to determine who is fanciest.

• Options
    HarrietHarriet Registered User regular
    Franko wrote:
    It took me awhile to understand this wasn't a WoW comic. I thought Crimson Alliance was some sort of expansion

I thought Crimson Alliance was about biplanes.

Chase_Sig_09-14-11.jpg
  • Options
    Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    This would work better if he didn't look like a wizard-ass wizard.

• Options
    ChiefChief Registered User regular
    I think giving Gabe a couple Flavor Flav clocks and some Kanye glasses could have gone a long way toward achieving victory in this comic.

Emmitt_Sig_08-16-11.jpg
  • Options
    RestartRestart Registered User regular
    It's bad enough that Tycho is not in say, tattered rags or without gold trimming, but he is HUGE, and even the background is giving him a sort of aura, more so than it is for Gabe.

It actually makes the comic even funnier to me, like Tycho is some kind of demented bully.

spritesWalk.gif
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    Harriet wrote:
    Franko wrote:

That's Crimson Skies.

• Options
    I remember when my guild leader first showed up riding a huge fucking cat.

we were all like "oh, I see where the guild fund went..."

and then like 2 weeks later everyone had them.

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    Maybe if Gabe were a wizard who was ALSO riding a giant gold-and-jewel-adorned cat with neon underlights. And wearing an ornate wizarding hat encircled with bling. Or something.

That right there looks more like regular old level 60 dungeon blues. A matching set, to be sure, but not particularly expensive.

• Options
    Chief wrote:
    I think giving Gabe a couple Flavor Flav clocks and some Kanye glasses could have gone a long way toward achieving victory in this comic.

Every comic needs more Flava Flav clocks.

• Options
    Shady3011 wrote:
    Harriet wrote:
    Franko wrote:

That's Crimson Skies.

you might be thinking of Crimson Permanent Assurance